Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Do you think REAPER should stop working after the trial period?
YES! 33 11.58%
NO! 252 88.42%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #441
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Right. Like I said... "see only what you actually want to see". As if good people who only do nice things and never do anything bad ever don't also have heart attacks and other serious health issues.

Cheney probably has better doctors and general care from the money he made doing bad stuff while some of the good people who can't afford what he can are dead. That's Karma for ya.

Read JBM's forum signature, the relevant wisdom is there. .

Back on topic to the original thread question, no.
But that is not karma. Karma is the thing you think exists, not the examples you think that prove it doesn't.

Buddha was a long way from being an idiot.

I'd have to say that reaper trial policy is in fact good karma. It gets people to try it, gets people hooked, benefits from it in how it works. The philosophy creates a network of people that work at making it better, making skins for it, menu sets, and what have you.

I think all of that is good karma, and works well for their business model.

It has also raised conversation about piracy that we have had, even questioning the policy, and discussing it. That is good karma also I find. It makes cockos look better too. I mean, if we were using dongle software, this same conversation might come up when it would fail one, or some of us. But that would be bad karma for the software company.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 08-05-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #442
Geoff Waddington

I don't think Reaper should start working after the trial period
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #443
The Telenator
Banned

Cheney eating habits?! I'm sure. Sure he has gout by now. But I still think it's part Cheney Karma Curse.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #444
The Telenator
Banned

I think Reaper should stop for 3 days, then launch a teasing splash screen very quickly, every now and then to desktop, then disappear. Then, the desktop icon starts to blink on/off after that ... forcing you to click on it to see WTF is going on. Then you see it works perfectly again and, on the note window, welcomes you back and reads: BUY ME!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #445
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
I think Reaper should stop for 3 days, then launch a teasing splash screen very quickly, every now and then to desktop, then disappear. Then, the desktop icon starts to blink on/off after that ... forcing you to click on it to see WTF is going on. Then you see it works perfectly again and, on the note window, welcomes you back and reads: BUY ME!!!
Or it should every once in a while, automatically open your web browser into a thread such as this one, where they are discussing overuse passed the trial period.

or, it should do that, and then automatically post under your handle. I HAVE EXCEEDED THE TRIAL PERIOD! with a hang head in shame smiley face. or a gif of a kind of stickman sort of guy yelling that to the heavens, then falling to his knees still looking up, and then stands, hangs head in shame, turns 90 degrees, and does a walk of shame out the side of the post.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #446
dea-man

That would be AWESOME! ^^^
Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #447
rmm

just 11% say it should, that means 89% did not buy a licence and use it with that nagging "buy me" Wait-Screen. after five years still evaluating!?! Jeah the usersmanual is big and im a slow reader! LOooooL!
rmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #448
The Telenator
Banned

Sound asleep -- that's really pretty funny. Someone make a script for all that.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #449
Sound asleep

Lol, and it would probably be the best anti-piracy technique known to man. Oh the shame.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #450
lpcrispo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm View Post
just 11% say it should, that means 89% did not buy a licence and use it with that nagging "buy me" Wait-Screen. after five years still evaluating!?! Jeah the usersmanual is big and im a slow reader! LOooooL!
you are joking right ? i said it should not stop, but i have my licence! and never over-evaluated reaper...

and a lot of other people on here said the same thing !
lpcrispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #451
BESTlifeNOW

Default GUILTY

I will be totally honest. I have just recently become part of the Reaper family although I foraged through the forums and used Reaper well passed the trial period before making the commitment to purchase. I can't speak for everyone but not everyone has the same learning capacity and efficiency especially when you are using a very well endowed program like reaper being that it's customizability can make something daunting because there are just so many options. Thats a big thing to some of us when deciding to switch daws like I did, coming for Ableton Live 7-9. I simply needed more time with Reaper before I decided to make the plunge being that I actually paid for the previously mentioned versions of Ableton as anymore money spent had to be worthy of investment even if its a few bucks. I needed 6 months to learn Reaper really well being that I hadnt yet discovered the Groove3 videos and I still had to work and spend time doing things outside of music and I dont believe anyone on here dedicated 30-60 days straight/non-stop. In the end I purchased it not only because of integrity but because it doesn't feel like a corporate gimmick and psychological undertone that comes to mind of human nature compels us to rebel when we are given restrictions especially when they barricade you from enjoyment and Cockos/Reaper put no restrictions on me and everything came down to person will, a will that was not challenged and allowed me to take my time with no pressure concluding with the right decision to pay.

I say all that to say this; "to each their own" so I won't vote one way or the other and think this boils down to personal accountability and morale with no added pressure from myself being that I am a member of this community now after abusing the time limit like many others who may never admit guilt.

Last edited by BESTlifeNOW; 08-07-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: too many damn typos!
BESTlifeNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #452
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESTlifeNOW View Post
I will be totally honest. I have just recently become part of the Reaper family although I foraged through the forums and used Reaper well passed the trial period before making the commitment to purchase. I can't speak for everyone but not everyone has the same learning capacity and efficiency especially when you are using a very well endowed program like reaper being that it's customizability can make something daunting because there are just so many options. Thats a big thing to some of us when deciding to switch daws like I did, coming for Ableton Live 7-9. I simply needed more time with Reaper before I decided to make the plunge being that I actually paid for the previously mentioned versions of Ableton as anymore money spent had to be worthy of investment even if its a few bucks. I needed 6 months to learn Reaper really well being that I hadnt yet discovered the Groove3 videos and I still had to work and spend time doing things outside of music and I dont believe anyone on here dedicated 30-60 days straight/non-stop. In the end I purchased it not only because of integrity but because it doesn't feel like a corporate gimmick and psychological undertone that comes to mind of human nature compels us to rebel when we are given restrictions especially when they barricade you from enjoyment and Cockos/Reaper put no restrictions on me and everything came down to person will, a will that was not challenged and allowed me to take my time with no pressure concluding with the right decision to pay.

I say all that to say this; "to each their own" so I won't vote one way or the other and think this boils down to personal accountability and morale with no added pressure from myself being that I am a member of this community now after abusing the time limit like many others who may never admit guilt.
I'm not gonna lie, me too it took me a while. Reaper is especially something that is difficult to know if it is the right DAW for you also.

I mean, other DAWs I can use it for a while, and then encounter some situation, where it just blocks me, and doesn't let me do what I want to do.

Reaper is like that also, except with reaper, when you encounter that, there is probably a way you can change that.

There are a bunch of things about reaper that would have turned me away right away if I was not able to change them.

So it can take a while, to search deep enough and configure it.

I think even knowing what I know now, it would take me more than 30 days to customize reaper the way I have it. Not if i changed everything straight, but hunting for what i need to change would be slow.

Also, I didn't really have the spare 60 bucks to spend for a good while. But, eventually I did, and I got my license.

If reaper would have used another philosophy, if it would have blocked me out after 30 days, then I may have ended up just using something pirated. Maybe reaper maybe something else.

Now, I'm pretty hooked to reaper. I have it so customized. I mean, other DAWs will have strengths, and be able to do some things that reaper can't. But for what I want to do, reaper has become so good and so efficient, nothing could match it.

So, I can vouch from me alone, that their philosophy and nag screen anti-piracy policy, has made them 60$, and in all likelihood, will make them more, whenever that license is up.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #453
Panic

I've had a license for years, but I still use REAPER in trial mode alot. For example; I just finally entered the license key on my latest computer at work after something like 532 days of running it in 'trial" mode. Finally got tired of the nag screen.

Last edited by Panic; 08-08-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: clarifying
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #454
Chris Diablo

I really love how they do business and that's why I finally purchased a license after about 10 years of using it. Some of us are severe commitment-phobes and need a little more time (okay... 10 years is ridiculous, but just making a point). You learn to respect a business that is so obviously about making a great product at a risk of less than outrageous riches. What a fantastic, and obviously successful, business model, really. I've seen the program grow, for over a decade, without ceasing, based on customer input.

Last edited by Chris Diablo; 08-08-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Chris Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #455
dea-man

I too, purchased Reaper, mostly on the strengths of the principles of the company.

The fact that the product has turned into an outstanding DAW is just icing on the cake.

Finding a DAW to do what I want is not that hard. Many to choose from, all with strengths and weaknesses.

Finding a company you feel is honest, and looking out for my best interest in making music, as well as making a product I want, based upon my needs?

Not so easy.