Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
bd32
Human being with feelings

Default What Win10 video editing programs do Reaper users use?

As I said a long time ago, I wish there was a Reaper video editing program. I wonder if there's any consensus on which program for Win10 Reaper users use? The combination of price and how Reaper implements changes from the people that actually use it make it work best for me. Currently I'm using Cyberlink Power Director 17 but find it unintuitive and cumbersome. Adobe Premiere Pro would be too expensive for me. Thanks
bd32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
EpicSounds

we use reaper. have you tried it?
Old 09-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd32 View Post
Currently I'm using Cyberlink Power Director 17 but find it unintuitive and cumbersome.
I'm still on Power Director 15, just a home/hobbyist but it works well for me. Does 17 still use Keyframes?

Took me awhile to figure them out, but once I did, it made doing things in 15 a lot easier.

The Audio Sync feature works great as well.

Lots of people here doing some pretty good stuff in Reaper Video though.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
Fran Guidry

Shotcut https://shotcut.org/ works pretty well and is fairly easy to use. It swallows up a lot of formats without transcoding, has keyframes, many useful effects, and a support forum that's not as active as this one but not bad.

But to be honest I'm still using Edius, currently 9 but they just released "X" for version 10 and sold the two versions as one back in the spring.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
peter5992

You can use Reaper for video editing.

Vegas is an inexpensive excellent alternative, workflow is pretty similar to Reaper.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:54 AM   #6
Faderjockey

I have used Reaper for smaller videos.. But my main videos I use davinci resolve 16
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
Win Conway

Resolve
Old 09-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
bd32

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
I'm still on Power Director 15, just a home/hobbyist but it works well for me. Does 17 still use Keyframes?

Took me awhile to figure them out, but once I did, it made doing things in 15 a lot easier.

The Audio Sync feature works great as well.

Lots of people here doing some pretty good stuff in Reaper Video though.
Actually the audio sync (manual) compared to Reaper is what drove me to do this post. I had 2 different cameras. One had acoustic percussion and the other's audio had electronic percussion triggered by the acoustic (so a totally different sound). One camera was 30fps and the other 14fps. PowerDirector wouldn't allow me turn off snap to grid in such a way to align them. Also it's view of the wave forms wasn't as clear as Reaper plus the whole wave form disappeared as you moved it. Reaper just let me align both audio's as I liked. I just find PD17 cumbersome. I have to say I still haven't qotten the hang of keyframes. Part of my complaint against PD17 and Cyberlink in general is to have cute little headings like "designer, fix/enhance/tools" instead of having them all under "edit". Also the lack of convenient shortcuts...like you have to click 7 times to get to crop.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
bd32

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
we use reaper. have you tried it?
It must have advanced since I last checked it. I'll be having a look. Thanks
Old 09-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #10
bd32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
I have used Reaper for smaller videos.. But my main videos I use davinci resolve 16
I'll have a look. I hope the free version does pretty much everything the average hobby editor needs as the $300 price for Resolve Studio is high. Thanks
Old 09-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #11
bd32

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
You can use Reaper for video editing.

Vegas is an inexpensive excellent alternative, workflow is pretty similar to Reaper.
Thanks for the reply. I was using Vegas before switching to Cyberlink. I think the promise of automated syncing got me but it only worked in certain situations.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #12
toleolu

Quote:
Actually the audio sync (manual) compared to Reaper is what drove me to do this post.
I was referring to the automatic audio sync. But since you're working with two different cameras I can see where it might be difficult automatically synching those two audio sources. I record in Reaper while shooting the video so it's pretty easy to sync the Reaper audio with the audio from the video.

Since you're using two cameras, is it possible to set the cameras up the same?

I shoot my video using the same settings as my default project settings. If I have to import video from another source, I will produce a new video from the imported video using my default project settings, and then just use the newly produced video in my project.

That's more of a workflow flow thing though because I found on my rig, playback of edits and effects run smoother when project settings and video settings match as close as possible.

But you're right about the audio in Power Director, it's pretty weak, but I always replace the audio from the video with what I record and edit in Reaper.

Good luck in your search, lot's of good stuff out there, just need to find what works for you.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #13
jnorman34

Powerdirector 15 here. Very capable software, and it offers smart rendering which is a real benefit if you do not have an i9, a dedicated graphics card and 64gb of ram...
jnorman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #14
Geoff-h3o

Blender. Free and good but may not be intuitive. Worth the effort though, specially if you ever stray into 3d animation. You can have a lot of fun with lyrics ;-) .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKiURW-Fffo
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #15
airon

Resolve, though I'll render out a Webm video for the odd bit for a client from Reaper. Webm, because any browser can play it.

Resolve in its free version is excellent. High-end features and effects more geared towards professionals are in the Studio version.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #16
dub3000

I use Vegas for larger video projects but dabble in Reaper for simple things.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #17
Coachz

Open shot is free and works
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:46 PM   #18
bd32

I just tried a video with a few tracks extra audio and rendered it in Reaper. Nothing done to the video. 18 minutes took an hour! That's something I experienced earlier. Unless I had it some wierd setting that wasn't normaml that's a long time!

Last edited by bd32; 12-26-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #19
EpicSounds

my renders on windows are usually about 1.4x to h.264. bit faster on mac.
settings and cpu impact render speed.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:28 AM   #20
The Byre

I use Vegas Pro, another guy here uses Premier. I used to use Resolve for colouring, but the latest tools in Vegas and Premier are as good, so now no need to faff-about between two programmes.
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:55 AM   #21
bjohn

Quote:
I'll have a look. I hope the free version does pretty much everything the average hobby editor needs as the $300 price for Resolve Studio is high. Thanks
The free version of Resolve has most of what anyone would need (except video noise reduction, which you can buy in a plugin such as Neat Video but at that point you might as well shell out the money for the studio version, which includes noise reduction and a bunch of other useful features); some codecs are only supported in the Studio version.

The main thing to understand about Resolve is that it requires a computer with a strong GPU; it relies much more on the GPU than other NLEs do. It won't run well on most laptops (especially not those with integrated Intel graphics). Blackmagic Design used to have a configuration guide that you could review to see if your machine meets the specs; it hasn't been updated since version 15, and version 17 will be out soon.

Most people who complain about Resolve's performance didn't bother to read the configuration guide or don't know it exists. Bottom line is that you can have the most powerful CPU in the world and 60 terabytes of RAM, and Resolve still won't run if your GPU isn't up to spec. It is the single most important factor in Resolve's performance. If your GPU meets the specs you'll be very happy. If it doesn't Resolve will be essentially unusable.

It's a fantastic program and totally professional. There are tons of excellent free training materials (tutorials, training books, etc.) available from Blackmagic Design, as well as paid tutorials from Ripple Training and other sources.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #22
EpicSounds

resolve can't do a full screen output of the edit without additional hardware. For me that's a major issue and a big reason to stay with reaper
Old 09-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #23
karbomusic

Quote:
resolve can't do a full screen output of the edit without additional hardware. For me that's a major issue and a big reason to stay with reaper
Not sure if it's what you are speaking of but if you want a full screen version of edited output this works:

Old 09-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #24
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Not sure if it's what you are speaking of but if you want a full screen version of edited output this works:

do you have studio version?
Old 09-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #25
karbomusic

Quote:
do you have studio version?
Come to think if it yes, so probably better worded as "FS not available in free version" instead of "not available without additional hardware" - just so those reading understand.

And free restricts to 1 GPU core and/or CPU throttles (making you think you need more processing power than you do) but I got an awful lot of mileage out the free version - My main reason for upgrading was better responsiveness for 4K et al at the time FWIW. I have a handful of beefs with Reaper, biggest one is color correction is terrible - which for many is not an issue but when it is, it is.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #26
EpicSounds

I've been trying for a couple days to get a straight answer about it from the resolve forum.

you need studio version, or blackmagic pci or thunderbolt hardware for fullscreen preview.

If you want both then its about $500
Old 09-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #27
karbomusic

It is true that hardware is where they make their money now best I can tell but...

One upside is that software upgrades thus far have been free for lifetime, so it's a one-time purchase - the performance increase with studio was worthwhile as projects that were stuttering while editing with free didn't in Studio.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #28
bjohn

Quote:
resolve can't do a full screen output of the edit without additional hardware.
That's not entirely right. Just type "control-f" (or command-F on Mac) and you get full-screen viewing of the edit on your main monitor.

With version 16 I believe you can now also have a two-monitor view with the edit in fullscreen on one monitor but I haven't tested that to verify. This is something a lot of editors clamored for although there was a lot of resistance because you're not going to get a reference image that way; what you see fullscreen is going to be altered by your computer's operating system. As long as you use it for editing only, and not for color grading, it's fine.

The only thing you need external hardware for is to bypass your operating system and send 10-bit video directly to a calibrated reference monitor for color grading.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:33 PM   #29
clepsydrae

AFAIK there is nothing that even approaches Resolve in the "free video editor" department. It's a world-class editor. Preposterously powerful free offering from Black Magic. (And very smart of them to do it, IMO.) All you lose with the free version is some effects and such (e.g. no de-noising.) But the motion tracker/stabilizer is included (and fantastic) along with 100 other fantastic features. They have a multitrack audio editor (Fairlight) embedded now (nothing compared to reaper, of course, but useful for simple things).

I'm a Blender fan-boy 'till death, used Vegas for years, and evaluated all the other free options, and I would never consider anything but Resolve.

It does take some getting used to: tutorials are highly recommended. Interface is a little quirky. So your "intuitive" requirement may or may not be met (one example: you can't change the framerate of the timeline once the project is underway... so you have to get it right at the outset or you lose all your work.)

Only bummers for me are that a Windows 8 bug means you can't render 4k H.264 (Win10 is fine), and the linux version can't render h.264/265 or aac at all (but that there is a linux version is awesome.)

It doesn't have a Cockos-like level of developer response, but it is being developed and improved actively, which is great to see. Bug fixes and features come along frequently.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #30
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
AFAIK there is nothing that even approaches Resolve in the "free video editor" department. It's a world-class editor. Preposterously powerful free offering from Black Magic.
^^Absolutely. I'm happy to post my favorite 3 or 4 YT channels that teach all the basics which makes Resolve much easier than just opening it up and staring at it. As bjohn said, the caveat is the GPU memory, you really need 4GB GPU mem at minimum, 8GB if you can get it. A 1050 or 1070ti will get you there for most work we do.

If you don't have enough GPU memory it's just going to go poof and look buggy when it's really just lack of GPU memory. But once you have it, and learn the ropes, it is incredibly difficult to go back.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #31
karbomusic

Quote:
All you lose with the free version is some effects and such (e.g. no de-noising.) But the motion tracker/stabilizer is included (and fantastic) along with 100 other fantastic features.
It bottlenecks the processing a bit FYI, either only to one GPU core and/or other throttling. I noticed a marked improvement when I purchased studio, I can dig out the docs if needed but there are CPU/GPU restrictions in the free version that affects the timeline and rendering that are removed with the full version. This is not a problem until you use enough features to make it noticeable such as some FX and filters, 4KUHD timelines and so on.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #32
clepsydrae

Quote:
It bottlenecks the processing a bit FYI, either only to one GPU core and/or other throttling.
Oh yeah that sounds familiar... I have the free version and a 6GB GTX 1060 (and work off an SSD of course). I do a little bit of 4K stuff, color balancing, occasional masking and motion tracking, titles, etc, and it's impressively smooth, but of course more speed always = better. :-) And AFAIK the "optimized media" options (aka proxy files) are fully featured in the free version.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #33
vChip

+1 for Resolve.

I'm a fan of Davinci Resolve as well. It's incredible once you get the hang of it. Definitely worth watching the videos and understanding how to properly set it up, but once you get past all that you will realize you have a very powerful video tool.
vChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #34
clepsydrae

And if you buy one of their great cameras the paid version comes with it.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #35
karbomusic

Quote:
And if you buy one of their great cameras the paid version comes with it.
I really want the BMPK4K but I don't have the justification - I love my A6400 and my D7500 and if I get the BMPK4K it's going to ruin me with the other two.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #36
clepsydrae

Quote:
I really want the BMPK4K but I don't have the justification
Ditto. A friend has one though, so I can play with it if I want to. :-)
Old 09-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #37
karbomusic

Quote:
Ditto. A friend has one though, so I can play with it if I want to. :-)
That kind of thinking is what cost my friend his marriage. jk, couldn't resist.

It's the increased color bit depth and post color correction ability due to RAW that I want - I love my existing cameras but my exposure/color wiggle room is tiny in comparison.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #38
clepsydrae

Totally... my crappy 1080p DSLR has awful noise and limited dynamic range... it's pretty much "all the features" that I crave in higher-end cameras. :-) Except auto-focus: cheap canon DSLRs/lenses have fantastically smooth and quiet autofocus.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #39
bd32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
The free version of Resolve has most of what anyone would need (except video noise reduction, which you can buy in a plugin such as Neat Video but at that point you might as well shell out the money for the studio version, which includes noise reduction and a bunch of other useful features); some codecs are only supported in the Studio version.

The main thing to understand about Resolve is that it requires a computer with a strong GPU; it relies much more on the GPU than other NLEs do. It won't run well on most laptops (especially not those with integrated Intel graphics). Blackmagic Design used to have a configuration guide that you could review to see if your machine meets the specs; it hasn't been updated since version 15, and version 17 will be out soon.

Most people who complain about Resolve's performance didn't bother to read the configuration guide or don't know it exists. Bottom line is that you can have the most powerful CPU in the world and 60 terabytes of RAM, and Resolve still won't run if your GPU isn't up to spec. It is the single most important factor in Resolve's performance. If your GPU meets the specs you'll be very happy. If it doesn't Resolve will be essentially unusable.

It's a fantastic program and totally professional. There are tons of excellent free training materials (tutorials, training books, etc.) available from Blackmagic Design, as well as paid tutorials from Ripple Training and other sources.
I definitely would not be fired up about spending $300. Long ago I spent more than I could afford on Samplitude Audio Software and then a few years after tried to upgrade it and it was more expensive than the original. It was that cycle that brought me to Reaper. I took a look at the fx that the Resolve Studio has. Blur is one of them. I have a small section, in a video project,that has to be blurred out. Does that mean Resolve free has no blur capability?
Old 10-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #40
clepsydrae

Quote:
Does that mean Resolve free has no blur capability?
You can blur in free resolve, and the tracking (which is great) is fully present (AFAIK the free tracker/stabilizer is fully featured). I have selectively blurred faces and tracked them around, etc.

Last edited by clepsydrae; 10-19-2020 at 09:50 PM.