Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
charlie101
Human being with feelings

Default Help! how do I recause audio from a VST please?

HI. I have been struggling with this fir 2 days and can't see what I'm doing wrong!

Track 1 Arturia lab VST with midi data recorded - pressing play and audio is output from steinberg I/O (asio) to speaker nice and loud. The master bus meters are showing good output too.

Track 2 is armed and set to record output stereo latency compensated. Input set to none.

I press record get a two bar count in and then hear track one and see rectangular blocking created in track 2. but nothing in track 2s meter.

When I come to playback track 2 there is nothing there?

The audio from the VST is not getting into track 2

what the heck am I doing wrong?

thanks
charlie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
Coachz

Make sure track 2 has input monitoring set. Do you have a send from track 1 to 2 ? during play do you see it in the meters ? You might also turn off the parent send in track 2 so you don't have 2 of the same (track 1 and 2) going to the master track.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #3
charlie101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Make sure track 2 has input monitoring set. Do you have a send from track 1 to 2 ? during play do you see it in the meters ? You might also turn off the parent send in track 2 so you don't have 2 of the same (track 1 and 2) going to the master track.
as is always my case...once I have asked a question in a forum I end up sorting it out. Doh!

Yes I had monitor set however what I did not know was that I had to right click the volume button on the track to get a page that showed "add new receiver. Once I checked ALL or (the individual track of course) then audio came through on the meters and could be recorded.

That screen makes sense to be BUT I never saw any videos not even Ver 6 documentation say that I had to do that. I would have thought ALL would have been selected by default once stereo output was selected on the track.

I wonder did this change in ver 6 and the videos haven't caught up yet?

Thanks for your response coachz :-)
Old 09-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
Coachz

A common way to set up the receive is to Simply drag the send from track one and drop it on track 2. Glad you're going
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
Goldreap

'Input monitoring' is about external inputs, not receives, so you don't actually need that here.

Recording output latency compensated is for when you have an external input into the track.
When recording what is already on another track via a send you should not use the latency compensated option.
Think of it like this:
When recording output of a track:
1/ If input is external I need the usual latency compensation that I get anyway when recording an input.
2/ If the source is on another track there's no latency anyway (nothing to compensate for).

Last edited by Goldreap; 09-20-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
charlie101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
A common way to set up the receive is to Simply drag the send from track one and drop it on track 2. Glad you're going
It took me a while to understand what you were saying here. I do now but it wasn't easy and tbh is really bugging me. I hate reaper already!!! (no not really but I may be getting there)

you mention send. I don't see that in the documentation but of course I know what you mean. So I spend an hour or so trying to find this "send" on to find that There is no routing on the track by default now. I have to go to option B in the theme menu so that routing and other stuff is not hidden. Of course when I did this what you said and more became apparent because I actually had the router button on the track this time. This has really made it much much harder than it needed to be. I think.

Also the other thing I'm finding is that Reaper 6 seems quite buggy. Ive had a few unexpected things happen that just seemed to clear itself but an "in your face" example is the the screen I just talked about. When I bring it up on my laptop the window to select A B C is too small to fit all the parameters on offer yet, there is no scroll bar! There seems to be no way at all move around that screen without resizing the window which is not easy on the small laptop screen.

Maybe you can let me know. Is it that 6.13 is just buggy or is this a "feature/idiosyncracy" of reaper in general and I just need to love it's little quirks and expect things to fool me before I make it work?

I may get to feel less stressed if I realize I should be lowering my expectations. I do hope you are going to tell me that it's just 6.13 and I can look forward to it getting better though! :-)

Last edited by charlie101; 09-20-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #7
charlie101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
'Input monitoring' is about external inputs, not receives, so you don't actually need that here.

Recording output latency compensated is for when you have an external input into the track.
When recording what is already on another track via a send you should not use the latency compensated option.
Think of it like this:
When recording output of a track:
1/ If input is external I need the usual latency compensation that I get anyway when recording an input.
2/ If the source is on another track there's no latency anyway (nothing to compensate for).
Ah okay. Thanks for that. Yes it makes sense.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
serr

The latency compensated mode is to record a compromised live performance and to specifically preserve the compromised part as it happened live.

I'll try to explain that loaded statement!

Performance that uses the Reaper mixing board live. Using plugin fx and so forth. And the deal is that the computer/interface system in question does not have the ability to run that setup with low enough latency to not perceive any lag. So you make a compromise and play with a little lag. Trying to anticipate things and struggle through it. Because you're anticipating things and working your performance around playing with a lag live, now you decide the best option is to record the audio strictly as is. Lag and all.

Normally when you record, audio is nudged back into place to cancel out any latency in the system. It's assumed you want this by default and that's usually the case. Recording while monitoring live input with an audio interface's built in zero added latency monitor feature, for example.

Because YOU were compensating live, the best option is to preserve that rather than line up the audio as though there were no lag. So you want to record the performance as performed with latency and preserve it strictly as is (for good and bad). That's what turning off latency compensation is for.

As far as creating sends on the Reaper mixer...
It's supposed to mimic a typical mixing board. When you're familiar with that, you'll look for where those buttons are in Reaper real quick and off you go. If you haven't used a mixing board before in real life, maybe not as intuitive.

If you've done those connect the dots things when you were little, you've got this! It's all connections from one place to another.

PS. You could also choose to record the output of that track. Or you could instead use the freeze or render features to record the output from that track that way.

Last edited by serr; 09-20-2020 at 03:05 PM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #9
charlie101

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

As far as creating sends on the Reaper mixer...
It's supposed to mimic a typical mixing board. When you're familiar with that, you'll look for where those buttons are in Reaper real quick and off you go. If you haven't used a mixing board before in real life, maybe not as intuitive.

If you've done those connect the dots things when you were little, you've got this! It's all connections from one place to another.

PS. You could also choose to record the output of that track. Or you could instead use the freeze or render features to record the output from that track that way.
Serr, thanks for the further explanation of the Latency setting.
RE S/R and the mixers. yes I knewabout that but couldnt see anything on the track with that A Display theme setting. However you make the point that this is of course a mixing function so maybe it does in fact make sense to remove the routing from the track and do it from the mixer. I was tending to always look at the track to do stuff. I see why they may have defaulted to mixer only now.

The render feature worked well and fast but not what I set out to do originally.

cheers