Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM   #1
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings

Default v7.15+dev0417 - April 17 2024

v7.15+dev0417 - April 17 2024
  • * Includes feature branch: support position/length in samples in Item Properties
  • * Includes feature branch: advanced preferences option to limit display rate
  • * Include feature branch: improved time signature marker editing behavior
  • * Includes feature branch: support adding image metadata to mp3 files in Media Explorer
  • * Includes feature branch: optionally prompt to adjust tempo of empty project when importing media
  • * Includes feature branch: up-rank/down-rank takes and take markers
  • * Includes feature branch: additional localization options
  • * Includes feature branch: extended ASCII encoding for .wav file text metadata
  • + Audio Units: fix display of stepped parameter when minimum value is not zero [t=290386]
  • + Media explorer: improve resizing behavior on linux
  • + ReaComp: improve behavior on threshold automation [p=2775220]
  • + ReaScript: GetUserFileNameForRead supports trailing slash in filename in order to set initial path only
  • + ReaXComp: improve behavior on threshold automation [p=2775220]
  • + ReaXcomp: remove denormal noise from filters [p=2775795]
  • + Render: support $marker[001], $region[001], etc to apply offset or number [t=290337] of digits to marker or region number
  • + Undo: fix automatic record-arm inconsistency after undo [t=290347]
  • + VST3: possible fix for possibly incorrect .vstpreset export [t=290322]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM   #2
srdmusic

Default Digital Clipping when rendering at a different sample rate

Hi Reaper DEVs,

I believe I've found an issue when rendering a master mix at a different sample rate than the original session.

Reproducable test:

1) Create a project with some instruments hitting above 0db on the master track.

2) Insert a plugin like Fab Filter Pro L2.

3) Render the master mix at the project sample rate.

4) Render the master at any different sample rate.

The result is the in step 3, the master will be limited to 0db. Step 4, the master will have clipped.

It looks like this bug has occurred as far back as v6.5. It probably around the time that the new r8brain free Resample mode was introduced. However, it seems like the Sinc Interpolation resampler is also clipping if we export at a different sample rate.

Any thoughts on how to avoid this?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #3
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
Hi Reaper DEVs,

I believe I've found an issue when rendering a master mix at a different sample rate than the original session.

Reproducable test:

1) Create a project with some instruments hitting above 0db on the master track.

2) Insert a plugin like Fab Filter Pro L2.

3) Render the master mix at the project sample rate.

4) Render the master at any different sample rate.

The result is the in step 3, the master will be limited to 0db. Step 4, the master will have clipped.

It looks like this bug has occurred as far back as v6.5. It probably around the time that the new r8brain free Resample mode was introduced. However, it seems like the Sinc Interpolation resampler is also clipping if we export at a different sample rate.

Any thoughts on how to avoid this?
If I'm understanding correctly, this isn't a bug, it's the nature of inter-sample (or "true") peaks. If you are resampling at render time, you can use the limiting and normalizing options in the render dialog, which are applied post-resampling.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM   #4
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If I'm understanding correctly, this isn't a bug, it's the nature of inter-sample (or "true") peaks. If you are resampling at render time, you can use the limiting and normalizing options in the render dialog, which are applied post-resampling.
I ran into an issue yesterday where I attempted to bounce a 16bit 44.1k file at the request of a client. The original session was in 24bit 48k. Regardless of weather Fabfilter's true peak button was selected, the session would peak by +.7db. Normalizing the session -.7db is quite a lot of gain to loose in the EDM world.

I ended up converting the file in Cubase which worked as expected. Same volume no clipping. Is there another option to covert the file in Reaper which will produce the same volume waveform? Or is rendering the only option?

Thaks again for your help
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #5
schwa
Administrator

The simplest way would be to select the media item and render selected media items with render normalization and/or limiting enabled (the normalize/limit button in the render dialog, which is applied post-resampling). There are various other ways you could get the same result but that is the easiest. Regardless of what the steps are, the goal is to write a new file.

Going a little deeper into the question, if you have a file that has significantly higher peaks after resampling, that means the material is highly compressed, and the resampling interpolation is replacing the peaks that the compression is sawing off. If you need that much compression, it's better to convert to the target sample rate before applying it, either by converting the source media before working with it, or by using the built-in render limiter.

Last edited by schwa; Yesterday at 02:43 PM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM   #6
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
I ran into an issue yesterday where I attempted to bounce a 16bit 44.1k file at the request of a client. The original session was in 24bit 48k. Regardless of weather Fabfilter's true peak button was selected, the session would peak by +.7db. Normalizing the session -.7db is quite a lot of gain to loose in the EDM world.

I ended up converting the file in Cubase which worked as expected. Same volume no clipping. Is there another option to covert the file in Reaper which will produce the same volume waveform? Or is rendering the only option?

Thaks again for your help
I am 100% sure that it also clipped in Cubase but it didn't tell. REAPER measures and shows values at the bit depth and sample rate you chose (while rendering), that's why you see overs because unless you limit your mix with a brickwall at -1dBFS (and even then it might clip after the conversion), you'll see that. This is also true for any other DAW, you can run but you can't hide from true peak overs when converting from one rate to another
Old Today, 04:33 AM   #7
AZpercussion

+ Undo: fix automatic record-arm inconsistency after undo
Nice!)
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote