Old 09-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #1
playtimer
Human being with feelings

Default v6.14 - September 19 2020

v6.14 - September 19 2020
  • + About box: improve UI for license key import
  • + Accessibility: fix keyboard navigation in empty FX chain
  • + Accessibility: support enter key in actions window shortcut key binding list
  • + Accessibility: improve render window tab order
  • + Actions: fix behavior of actions to cut/delete items within time selection with ripple edit enabled
  • + ARA: improve behavior when copying multiple items with different edits that share the same source media [t=237563]
  • + Arrange: allow showing both or neither of item volume handle/knob
  • + Audio devices: prevent deadlock when changing sample rate of some audio devices [t=240284]
  • + Fades: allow disabling default fade-in/fade-out lengths for imported media items
  • + FX: update parameter display in TCP/MCP when changed by plug-in from audio thread
  • + Grid/snap dialog: apply grid snap length setting instantly rather than when window is closed
  • + Help: fix mouse modifier help HTML display [t=241058]
  • + Import: prevent crash after importing multichannel item to multiple tracks
  • + JSFX: allow image/gfx window dimensions up to 8192 pixels
  • + macOS: fix keyboard focus when closing track name edit window
  • + macOS: fix listview column ordering issue when adding columns e.g. in actions window
  • + Menu customization: optimize changing menus when actions window is open [p=2340939]
  • + MIDI hardware: support forcing control messages from different devices to different channels
  • + MIDI editor: fix updating CC lane labels when changing lane via action [t=240427]
  • + Mixer: add option to group FX parameters with FX
  • + Mixer: improve cursor feedback when drag/dropping FX
  • + Mixer: add option to group sends with/before/after FX
  • + ReaScript: allow image/gfx window dimensions up to 8192 pixels
  • + Region/marker manager: add take marker support
  • + Region/marker manager: add preference to list markers, regions, and take markers grouped together or separately
  • + Render: fix project render metadata being unintentionally deleted [t=240097]
  • + Theme: add new tcp_fxparm_fx_norm/byp/off background images
  • + Theme: use scrollbars instead of scroll buttons for FX/sends/FX parameters
  • + Theme: extend tcp.fxparm.margin to support 7th field of FX-insert alignment, 8th field inter-column gap
  • + Track panels: fix visual issues with certain track color settings [p=2334327]
  • + Track panels: support movable divider between FX parameters and embedded FX
  • + Track panels: optionally show FX and sends in track panels
  • + Tracks: support any even channel count between 2 and 64
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Reaper 6 | Cubase 10.5 Pro | Studio One 4 Professional | UA Apollo | UAD Quad PCie x2 | Adam A5x | Adam Sub7 | IK Multimedia iLoud Micro | Faderport 8 | Presonus Atom | Nektar Panorama P4 | Focusrite ISA One | ART Pro VLA II | Neumann | Rode | Sennheiser mics
playtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #2
dupont

still not published on main forum ?
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
EpicSounds

+ Track panels: optionally show FX and sends in track panels

where is this option hidden?

edit -

found the action but you should update default TCP context, and track menu !
Old 09-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
cool

Yes, it seems that TCP FX are not working correctly now.
When there are no effects in the TCP, empty FX icons are no longer displayed.
This breaks the design of my theme and makes fast drag sends impossible.

Last edited by cool; 09-19-2020 at 11:06 AM.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
Yes, it seems that TCP FX are not working correctly now.
When there are no effects in the TCP, empty FX icons are no longer displayed.
This breaks the design of my theme and makes fast drag sends impossible.

This was a problem in the previous +dev versions as well. I posted it about a few days ago in the release candidate thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=242282

In the previous versions though the empty slots would actually display if the option to show sends in the tcp was turned on, now they don't display no matter what.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #6
RobinGShore

Double clicking a send knob in the TCP open the properties for that send instead of resetting the send to unity as I would expect. Is this intentional? It seems odd given that doing the same thing on send knob in the MCP does set the send to unity
Old 09-19-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
Double clicking a send knob in the TCP open the properties for that send instead of resetting the send to unity as I would expect. Is this intentional? It seems odd given that doing the same thing on send knob in the MCP does set the send to unity
Just a bug (if you use the combined FX/send view on the MCP it also affects that)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:57 AM   #8
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post

edit -

found the action but you should update default TCP context, and track menu !
Where is it ?
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:45 AM   #9
sonictim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
Where is it ?
In the options pulldown menu (not the action list)
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #10
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictim View Post
In the options pulldown menu (not the action list)
it wasn't when I was asking. Action list only.

Here's my video covering the new features

https://youtu.be/jKAuf0nEVRE

Old 09-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
pepe44

Quote:

Thanks John
Old 09-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
Mosaic Music

Great additions here! I am very happy to see sends and FX can now be shown in the TCP, that is an excellent feature.

One question about that: Is it possible to change the size/height/width of the Sends/FX Inserts in the TCP? I've noticed that the space used to show FX inserts and sends is not being used as economically as it could be. The Default 6 theme shows it as a vertical list:

With the width reduced at a specific amount, the Default theme, plus a few third party ones, show the list in this format, as one column. If the width of the TCP is increased, it eventually shows as two or three columns:

Regardless of how many columns show, there's a bit of vertical space in between each list entry, and in addition to that, when shown in one column in the first picture, there's a lot of wasted space on the sides. Compared to the mixer window on the right, you can see how much more effectively the mixer utilizes its space when showing FX inserts and sends. The entries are a lot more compact.

It did appear a little bit different on a few other third party themes. My primary theme is Janne 2016, mainly because this theme makes very economical use of screen space. On this theme, plus about 75% of other third-party themes I tried, Sends and FX are less wide and do not ever show as one wide column at any TCP width as it does on the Default theme (which isn't necessarily a bad thing):

Here's a screenshot of my mixer's FX inserts compared to the FX inserts on the TCP. As you can see, it's still not quite as compact and efficient as the mixer. The FX inserts on the mixer have a lot less empty space/padding on the tops/bottoms/sides of the blue boxes. In the TCP, right now, the squares are probably quite a bit thicker/larger than they need to be. If they were less thick and tall, I'd imagine a lot more information could be shown in a smaller space.

A few small related details: The mousewheel doesn't seem to work when hovering over the TCP fx/sends list. Not a big deal, but might be nice to have as an option anyway!
Also, the only place, as far as I could tell, where I could turn these new TCP FX/Sends list features on or off was in the actions list. I couldn't find it in any menu anywhere. Not a big problem, although I imagine for newer users, unless these features were enabled by default, they might not easily find where to enable these settings without knowing exactly where to look already.

Anyway, not a huge deal, I'm still very happy that this feature was implemented anyway, but figured I'd provide my 2 cents!

Last edited by Mosaic Music; 09-21-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Mosaic Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #13
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtimer View Post
v6.14 - September 19 2020
  • + Track panels: optionally show FX and sends in track panels

The font for the FX inserts in the TCP is pretty tiny in my theme mod. What font slot is referenced in the advanced theme adjuster to change that? Thanks for any insight.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #14
X-Raym

Default BUG

For some reason, the new Options: Show sends in TCP (when size permits) isn't competely compatible with my theme.

It works nice if there is an FX parameter in TCP,
but not if there is none

See how the sends controls overlaps fader in this case.

So it seems this option is not entirely backward compatible with REAPER 5 theme

cf reaper 4 theme

Last edited by X-Raym; 09-21-2020 at 02:39 PM.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #15
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
For some reason, the new Options: Show sends in TCP (when size permits) isn't competely compatible with my theme.

It works nice if there is an FX parameter in TCP,
but not if there is none

See how the sends controls overlaps fader in this case.

So it seems this option is not entirely backward compatible with REAPER 5 theme

cf reaper 4 theme

Thanks, fixing!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #16
Niowiad

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtimer View Post
[*]+ Theme: use scrollbars instead of scroll buttons for FX/sends/FX parameters
This isn't optional, right?
I mean, no setting/tweak to revert it as it was before?
Niowiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #17
RobinGShore

There are a few noteworthy theming changes that are in this release that look like they didn't make it into the final changelog for some reason:
  • # Theme support: add 15 new tcp_sendlist and tcp_master_sendlist images
  • # WALTER: add tcp.fxembed
  • # WALTER: add tcp_fxembed scalar for layout decisions
tcp.sendlist was also added to WALTER for creating a seperate send list in the TCP. As far as I can tell that one was never even included in any of the pre-release changelogs, but I managed to infer its existence on my own from a comment Justin made in one of the pre-release threads.

Justin/Schwa, can you guys update the WALTER and Theme Development reference pages to include all the new stuff?
Old 09-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #18
lunker

Quote:

Thanks! Good video.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:10 PM   #19
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic Music View Post
Is it possible to change the size/height/width of the Sends/FX Inserts in the TCP?
Quote:
With the width reduced at a specific amount, the Default theme, plus a few third party ones, show the list in this format, as one column. If the width of the TCP is increased, it eventually shows as two or three columns: Regardless of how many columns show, there's a bit of vertical space in between each list entry, and in addition to that, when shown in one column in the first picture, there's a lot of wasted space on the sides.
Quote:
In the TCP, right now, the squares are probably quite a bit thicker/larger than they need to be. If they were less thick and tall, I'd imagine a lot more information could be shown in a smaller space.
You can change all of this by tweaking the values for tcp.fxparm, and tcp.sendlist in the theme's WALTER tex, and by editing the relevant theme images (tcp_fxparm_fx_norm/byp/off.png, and tcp_sendlist_norm/mute/empty.png)

For example, here's how I've set mine up:
Old 09-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #20
RobinGShore

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
Where is it ?
Quote:
Also, the only place, as far as I could tell, where I could turn these new TCP FX/Sends list features on or off was in the actions list. I couldn't find it in any menu anywhere.
It's in the default version of the Options menu, but if you've customized your menus you won't see it there unless you go into the menu editor.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #21
Mosaic Music

Quote:
You can change all of this by tweaking the values for tcp.fxparm, and tcp.sendlist in the theme's WALTER tex, and by editing the relevant theme images (tcp_fxparm_fx_norm/byp/off.png, and tcp_sendlist_norm/mute/empty.png)

Quote:
It's in the default version of the Options menu, but if you've customized your menus you won't see it there unless you go into the menu editor.
Great, this is exactly what I was wondering about. Thank you much for the info!

The height/size of your FX buttons looks perfect, what values did you set for that?
Mosaic Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:56 PM   #22
EpicSounds

Quote:
just double-checked and you're right, my options menu is customized. I thought it would be in Track menu or TCP context, or preferences.

Options menu stuff is usually per-project but these actions apply to all projects.

as usual, it's probably Kenny's fault. :lol: <3
Old 09-21-2020, 07:21 PM   #23
xpander

Show FX inserts option is also in Empty TCP context menu.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #24
RobinGShore

Quote:
The height/size of your FX buttons looks perfect, what values did you set for that?
To be honest it took a lot of trial and error to make it look the way I wanted, so I don't think I could actually tell you exactly what to change if I wanted to. Here's the WALTER for my fx and send lists if you want try to decipher what I did. Hopefully the WALTER reference page (https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/walter.php) can illuminate things a little bit as well.

Code:
set tcp.fxembed              h>88   h>110   h>137  w>folder_meter{0} + [138 78 71 61 0 0 0 0] folder_nudge   - + [0 0 w] + [138 78     20 61 0 0 0 0] folder_nudge + [0               0 folder_meter{0}] [0 0 -49]                              w>folder_meter{0} + [138 54 71 61 0 0 0 0] folder_nudge   - + [0 0 w] + [138 54 20 61 0 0 0 0] folder_nudge + [0               0 folder_meter{0}] [0 0 -49]                        w>folder_meter{0} + [138 31 71 61 0 0 0 0] folder_nudge   - + [0 0 w] + [138 31 20 61  0 0 0 0] folder_nudge + [0 0 folder_meter{0}] [0 0 -49]
set tcp.fxembedheader.color [255 255 255 255]

set tcp.fxparm   h>51 w>fxparm_w{0} + [222 7 70 90 0 0 0 1] folder_nudge  + fx_squish   + [222 7 70 90 0 0 0 1] folder_nudge   
set tcp.sendlist h>51 w>send_w{0}   + [298 7 70 90 0 0 0 1] folder_nudge  + send_squish + [298 7 70 90 0 0 0 1] folder_nudge  
set tcp.fxparm.font [0 15] ;adjust second coordinate to change fx slot heights
set tcp.fxparm.margin [2 2 0 0]
set tcp.sendlist.font [0 15] ;adjust second coordinate to change fx slot heights
EDIT: I see that I actually left myself a helpful note about slot heights in the WALTER code. It looks like you can adjust the heights by changing the second number in the brackets after tcp.fxparm.font

Last edited by RobinGShore; 09-21-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #25
foxAsteria

+ Theme: use scrollbars instead of scroll buttons for FX/sends/FX parameters

An improvement over the scroll buttons to be sure, but it comes too early; I don't need an empty fx param slot eating up vertical space or a scrollbar eating up horizontal space and now it seems I have to choose one or the other:

It should only appear when hiding actual parameters, I think. Same with fx inserts and sends.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-23-2020 at 07:13 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:01 PM   #26
Niowiad

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post

An improvement over the scroll buttons to be sure, but it comes too early; I don't need an empty fx param slot eating up vertical space or a scrollbar eating up horizontal space and now it seems I have to choose one or the other:

It should only appear when hiding actual parameters, I think.
Agreed.
Glad I'm at least not the only one worried about this.
My MCP is conceptually very similar to yours (channel strip), and this new feature kind of screwed up my mixing template

Same issue with the last empty slot as you said. And now I have all these new green scrollbars "flashing" all the time, due to the mouse hovering over the FX parameters while moving through different tracks in the MCP.

I've actually always been using the mouse wheel to scroll through inserts/parameters/sends anyway, and it works better than anything else.
Never used the buttons, never actually felt the need of an extra element on the GUI.

It would be great if this new feature could be made optional.

Last edited by Niowiad; 09-21-2020 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #27
d. gauss

ignore below. seems to have been a wonky external drive sleeping.
--------------
weird issue:

opening reaper on my macbook pro 2014 retina with yosemite after installing 6.14...

my toontrack superior drummer 3 now nags as unregisteredd/unauthorized and won't open.

reverting back to reaper 6.13 and all is fine. any thoughts?

Last edited by d. gauss; 09-22-2020 at 09:25 AM. Reason: solved
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #28
arjunned

Quote:

I hope someone can get this mod ported over to the default theme, as this was what most people were asking for in the first place.
arjunned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #29
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Show FX inserts option is also in Empty TCP context menu.
wish someone could have answered me before I made the video
Old 09-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #30
Quasar

I don't wish to see any extra FX info in the TCP, so as long as there's always an option not to clutter up the track panels, I don't care what gets added.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:30 AM   #31
tdc

Quote:
Rob, that is really neat! Care to share your mod’ ed theme for some of us less than experienced WALTER users to learn and implement from ?

Thanks, Tony.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:33 AM   #32
vsgrt

Yeah, that setup is extremely well done and much more practical than the default.

Better clarity, less space, predictable ordering.

Please share
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #33
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post

It should only appear when hiding actual parameters, I think. Same with fx inserts and sends.
I think you need an empty slot in order to add fx from there. otherwise how would you add from there?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #34
Niowiad

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I think you need an empty slot in order to add fx from there. otherwise how would you add from there?
Same way as it worked before: just by dragging down the handle it showed a new empty slot.
(or add the fx-parameter from the fx window: Param > Show in track controls).

The difference is, the scroll buttons (now replaced by the scrollbar) only used to appear when actual assigned parameters were hiding. Now it appears when the first empty slot is hiding.

No real need to always have an empty slot showing (which takes up space from my sends below), just to prevent the new scrollbar from appearing

Last edited by Niowiad; 09-24-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #35
poetnprophet

ah i see what you mean. to be honest i'm not a fan either, mainly the highlighting part. nothing else does that so it seems out of place
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #36
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Drag a divider. When I don't wanna add more params, I don't need empty slots visible. Worked fine before.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:09 AM   #37
DaniloVillanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunned View Post
I hope someone can get this mod ported over to the default theme, as this was what most people were asking for in the first place.
Agreed, that should be default.
DaniloVillanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #38
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Rob, that is really neat! Care to share your mod’ ed theme for some of us less than experienced WALTER users to learn and implement from ?

Thanks, Tony.
Sure, here it is: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2615/R...ReaperThemeZip

Last edited by RobinGShore; 09-26-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #39
tdc

Quote:
Sure, here it is:
Much appreciated. Got it running and now will dive into WALTER to learn how you did it...
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #40
nightscope

Quote:
When the sends are grouped with the inserts double clicking the send knob opens the track sends box. So that is wrong.

When the sends are not grouped with the inserts double click on the sends knob resets to 0.00dB. So that's right.

This is in the MCP.

ns
nightscope is online now   Reply With Quote