Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #10161
Nick Morris
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Did you try the C4 folder I just posted?
I just tried the folder you posted. This functions as expected.

I thought the C4 folder had zone files for the C4. I didn't expect that the zone files in it were for something else. Phew! I think I get it now!

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #10162
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
I just tried the folder you posted. This functions as expected.

I thought the C4 folder had zone files for the C4. I didn't expect that the zone files in it were for something else. Phew! I think I get it now!

Thanks!!!!
Excellent! Now you're rolling. I think that Reacomp file was in the C4 folder to provide a path for the (as yet unfinished) CSI editor, but has proved to be a bit of a gotcha.

Here's an FX zone for the C4 with a bit more meat on it: FabFilter Pro-Q3 (8 bands)

This has a bit of everything as far as FX mapping syntax goes, so if you pull this apart and see how it works you'll pretty much have it It makes heavy use of modifier keys, so you'll need to make sure those are working correctly.

Last edited by MixMonkey; 09-26-2020 at 09:16 AM.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #10163
Nick Morris

Quote:
Excellent! Now you're rolling. I think that Reacomp file was in the C4 folder to provide a path for the (as yet unfinished) CSI editor, but has proved to be a bit of a gotcha.

Here's an FX zone for the C4 with a bit more meat on it: FabFilter Pro-Q3 (8 bands)

This has a bit of everything as far as FX mapping syntax goes, so if you pull this apart and see how it works you'll pretty much have it It makes heavy use of modifier keys, so you'll need to make sure those are working correctly.
Awesome!

Does it matter if you use a vst3 or vst2 version ? Do you have to have separate zone files for each? Or do vst and vst3 act all the same to csi?
Old 09-21-2020, 04:39 AM   #10164
MixMonkey

Quote:
Does it matter if you use a vst3 or vst2 version ? Do you have to have separate zone files for each? Or do vst and vst3 act all the same to csi?
VST2 and VST3 need to have separate files- the name is different and often the parameter indexes are too.

That said, I would avoid VST3 if you can, as it seems to suffer from a bug where the plugin just stops responding to the surface (but the surface still responds to the plugin)

Also, regarding modifiers on the C4. I swapped the buttons for mine from the ones as written on the surface (Shift, Option, Control, Alt) with the 4 buttons next to them (Marker, Track, Chanstrip, Function)

These 4 buttons have LED indicators, making it easy to see if you have a modifier engaged - important, because modifiers can be toggled/latched (short press) as well as momentary (pressed and held).
Old 09-21-2020, 09:00 AM   #10165
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Hi Robin, what settings have you got mapped in EuConSettings to CSI?
Yeah, I'd like to understand how Robin has the wheel, jog/scrub going. Nothing seems to work for that over here.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #10166
Nick Morris

Is there a way to differentiate hardware output and sends? They are both being controlled simultaneously by the same rotary on my C4.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:19 PM   #10167
MixMonkey

Quote:
Is there a way to differentiate hardware output and sends? They are both being controlled simultaneously by the same rotary on my C4.
Not quite with you, the same rotary on the same channel?
Old 09-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #10168
BaronStinky

Default Add Midi Surfaces not saving

Hi y'all, I'm just trying out CSI for the first time so apologies if this has already been covered - tried searching the thread, but you know how it is.

Currently only trying to get one surface to work, Icon Qcon ProX with Win 10.

Installed CSI just fine - CSI Edit Mode works as described, I can see input in the Reaconsole when I adjust anything on the surface (although small side note, once Edit Mode is open I can't close the window - no x box, repeating the action doesn't work, and the window even persists outside of Reaper)

In Control Surface Settings (with CSI selected as the mode) when I click "Add Midi" it works fine: I choose the Pro X presets, click or don't click the options. Click OK and the surface shows up. All good, right? I can even click "edit" on that surface and my original input is still there. Click OK in Control Surface Settings. Immediately re-open those settings and the surface has disappeared.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #10169
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronStinky View Post
Hi y'all, I'm just trying out CSI for the first time so apologies if this has already been covered - tried searching the thread, but you know how it is.

Currently only trying to get one surface to work, Icon Qcon ProX with Win 10.

Installed CSI just fine - CSI Edit Mode works as described, I can see input in the Reaconsole when I adjust anything on the surface (although small side note, once Edit Mode is open I can't close the window - no x box, repeating the action doesn't work, and the window even persists outside of Reaper)

In Control Surface Settings (with CSI selected as the mode) when I click "Add Midi" it works fine: I choose the Pro X presets, click or don't click the options. Click OK and the surface shows up. All good, right? I can even click "edit" on that surface and my original input is still there. Click OK in Control Surface Settings. Immediately re-open those settings and the surface has disappeared.

What am I doing wrong?
When you re-open the CSI prefs, try clicking in empty white space in the left hand pane.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #10170
BaronStinky

Boom. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #10171
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronStinky View Post
Boom. Thanks!
Gotcha#1
Old 09-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #10172
Nick Morris

Quote:
Not quite with you, the same rotary on the same channel?
simple things are hard to explain LOL

so say channel 1 has a hardware output and a send to channel 2. The send rotary on the C4 adjusts the hardware output level AND the Send level simultaneously.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #10173
MixMonkey

Quote:
simple things are hard to explain LOL

so say channel 1 has a hardware output and a send to channel 2. The send rotary on the C4 adjusts the hardware output level AND the Send level simultaneously.
That doesn't sound quite right. If they occupy different slots on the channel, they should appear on different rotaries on the C4 (across row C). Let me try it out here and get back to you (not a big user of hardware outputs here)
Old 09-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #10174
MixMonkey

Quote:
That doesn't sound quite right. If they occupy different slots on the channel, they should appear on different rotaries on the C4 (across row C). Let me try it out here and get back to you (not a big user of hardware outputs here)
Yep, I get that here too, definitely a bug (or more accurately, something that hasn't been implemented yet)

Perhaps a workaround could be to use a send to route to a track that has a hardware output assigned.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:00 PM   #10175
Nick Morris

Quote:
Yep, I get that here too, definitely a bug (or more accurately, something that hasn't been implemented yet)

Perhaps a workaround could be to use a send to route to a track that has a hardware output assigned.
Thanks for confirming this bug.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #10176
siniarch

Default Reaper Preference CSI Installation Procedure

Hey guys,
I've been helping a fellow install CSI on the general forum and made a detail list of things to do under Reaper Preferences in order to install CSI after you have already installed the files in the correct folder.

In case it can help anyone else, here is the post.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=66
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #10177
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Hi Robin, what settings have you got mapped in EuConSettings to CSI?
Quote:
Yeah, I'd like to understand how Robin has the wheel, jog/scrub going. Nothing seems to work for that over here.
You need to set up custom wheel commands in Eucontrol. The stock Eucon wheel commands don't seem to work with CSI. Here are some old youtube vides with detailed instructions about how to make your own wheel commands in Eucon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=LIY3jEkTjkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=uqZC0P8jrWg

And, as an example here what the settings look like for my custom Jog command. The first image shows the setting for turning the wheel right, the second for turning the wheel left.

Last edited by RobinGShore; 09-21-2020 at 07:59 PM.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #10178
Beastmode Beats

We really need access to this functionality in the midi editor. There are no midi osc options in the actions menu for the midi editor.
Beastmode Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:32 AM   #10179
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode Beats View Post
We really need access to this functionality in the midi editor. There are no midi osc options in the actions menu for the midi editor.
The MIDI editor is Reaper's unloved stepchild....
Old 09-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #10180
pwallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
This might be the reason. "Then put CSI folder to Reapers root folder."
If you are putting CSI into the regular installation of Reaper, then it is WRONG:
C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)

I believe you have to place the CSI folder in the User Roaming Folder of Reaper:
C:\Users\luis_\AppData\Roaming\REAPER

(obviously the "luis_" on my folder would be different for your computer. It would be whatever the user name you have.)

I hope this is the problem as it would be a simple fix.

BTW. I also have REAPER x64 and Windows 10. So there should be no issues with that.
I put files in the resource path as suggested. It looks like your path. I installed Microsoft Visual thingy and CSI opens now, but it's own user interface is empty. Only "Homepage" word is visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSIwindow.jpg (40.2 KB, 88 views)
pwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #10181
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwallin View Post
I put files in the resource path as suggested. It looks like your path. I installed Microsoft Visual thingy and CSI opens now, but it's own user interface is empty. Only "Homepage" word is visible.
If you click the word homepage, it may populate some devices. Otherwise, you just need to click on homepage and add devices.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:15 AM   #10182
pwallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
If you click the word homepage, it may populate some devices. Otherwise, you just need to click on homepage and add devices.
Ah, thanks.
pwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #10183
Nick Morris

Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
You need to set up custom wheel commands in Eucontrol. The stock Eucon wheel commands don't seem to work with CSI. Here are some old youtube vides with detailed instructions about how to make your own wheel commands in Eucon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=LIY3jEkTjkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=uqZC0P8jrWg

And, as an example here what the settings look like for my custom Jog command. The first image shows the setting for turning the wheel right, the second for turning the wheel left.

This doesn’t work with the artist transport.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #10184
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Yes, this was on my instructions as #8:
"8. Make sure you select the "HOMEPAGE" under the "Pages" window on the left."

Glad to hear it is working though.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #10185
efiocco

Default modifier+rotary in FocusedFXNavigator

Hi there and thanks Geoff for sharing this great project.

I'm sorry if this has been already addressed in this topic, I red some of it but it's huge...

I want to use modifiers in an FX zone to change the mapping of my encoders:

Rotary1 FXParam "0" "Freq-Band 1"
Shift+Rotary1 FXParam "2" "Q-Band 1"

it works, but I get stuck in the modified state of the widget.

also my Shift widget in the .mst file has to be described without the "note off" msg:

Widget Shift
Press 90 46 7f
WidgetEnd

when I add the note off msg (90 46 00), the modifier does nothing...
in the reascript console output it looks fine
what am I missing?

Thank you very much!
efiocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #10186
siniarch

Default HEEELLLLPPPP!

Hey Guys,

I've been trying to help another user install CSI and make it work with the QCon Pro G2 controller, but I'm not sure I have any more in me. Perhaps I'm not explaining it well.

If any kind soul would want to help this user, the Thread is here. Thanks.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=240878

I have to assume there is either something wrong with his controller, his Reaper installation, or his CSI installation. Not sure what to make of it any more.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #10187
RobinGShore

Quote:
This doesn’t work with the artist transport.
As long as your artist transport is in working order this should definitely work. The eucon controllers don't communicate directly with CSI/Reaper, they send/recieve data to the Eucontrol software on your computer, which acts as a go-between from the hardware to CSI/Reaper. So if other aspects of eucon are working with CSI, but your transport wheel isn't, it would indicate that the problem is with how you have the wheel set up in eucontrol, and not a problem with CSI.

Just to be sure you have it set up correctly, have you done all of the following:

1) Set up a Custom wheel command in Eucontrol for the function you'd like the wheel to perform. You do this by opening the Eucontrol software and clicking the Softkey button along the top. Once on the softkey page in Eucontrol you need to select Transport Wheel in the section drop down menu, then double click somewhere on the image of the wheel. This will open the Jog wheel command editor where you can define custom wheel as shown in the images in my last post

2) Assign your custom wheel command to one of the buttons on the transport. You do this from within Eucontrol also. On the Softkey page again, change the section dropdown to "Transport Softkeys" and double click on the picture of one of the buttons to open up the command editor for that button. Once in the command editor set the dropdown menu in the top left to wheel and select "Transport Wheel" is selected in the wheel dropdown on the right side of the window. Then select the custom wheel command you created in the previous step in the function dropdown. It should like something like this:

3)Press the button you just customized the on the transport. It should light up indicating that the wheel command is engaged and the wheel is ready to be used.

If you wanted to you could even set up the wheel on your transport to work without CSI or any controls surface extension added to Reaper. You can set the wheel to trigger generic keystrokes instead of specific actions and it will work fine with just a stock Reaper configuration. I used to have an artist transport myself and had some functions set up this way.

Again if you haven't already, I would really recommend watching this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=LIY3jEkTjkM
It's very easy to follow along, and shows in clear detail how to set up jog wheels in eucon to work with an software you'd like. The video demonstrates using the jog wheel on an artist control, but its the same process for the Transport (or the Dock for that matter)
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #10188
Cragster

Quote:
Originally Posted by efiocco View Post
Hi there and thanks Geoff for sharing this great project.

I'm sorry if this has been already addressed in this topic, I red some of it but it's huge...

I want to use modifiers in an FX zone to change the mapping of my encoders:

Rotary1 FXParam "0" "Freq-Band 1"
Shift+Rotary1 FXParam "2" "Q-Band 1"

it works, but I get stuck in the modified state of the widget.

also my Shift widget in the .mst file has to be described without the "note off" msg:

Widget Shift
Press 90 46 7f
WidgetEnd

when I add the note off msg (90 46 00), the modifier does nothing...
in the reascript console output it looks fine
what am I missing?

Thank you very much!
Try this in the mst

Widget Shift
Press 90 46 7f 90 46 00
FB_TwoState 90 46 7f 90 46 00
WidgetEnd
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #10189
Cragster

Modifiers must have both the press and release messages to work
Old 09-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #10190
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
As long as your artist transport is in working order this should definitely work. The eucon controllers don't communicate directly with CSI/Reaper, they send/recieve data to the Eucontrol software on your computer, which acts as a go-between from the hardware to CSI/Reaper. So if other aspects of eucon are working with CSI, but your transport wheel isn't, it would indicate that the problem is with how you have the wheel set up in eucontrol, and not a problem with CSI.

Just to be sure you have it set up correctly, have you done all of the following:

1) Set up a Custom wheel command in Eucontrol for the function you'd like the wheel to perform. You do this by opening the Eucontrol software and clicking the Softkey button along the top. Once on the softkey page in Eucontrol you need to select Transport Wheel in the section drop down menu, then double click somewhere on the image of the wheel. This will open the Jog wheel command editor where you can define custom wheel as shown in the images in my last post

2) Assign your custom wheel command to one of the buttons on the transport. You do this from within Eucontrol also. On the Softkey page again, change the section dropdown to "Transport Softkeys" and double click on the picture of one of the buttons to open up the command editor for that button. Once in the command editor set the dropdown menu in the top left to wheel and select "Transport Wheel" is selected in the wheel dropdown on the right side of the window. Then select the custom wheel command you created in the previous step in the function dropdown. It should like something like this:

3)Press the button you just customized the on the transport. It should light up indicating that the wheel command is engaged and the wheel is ready to be used.

If you wanted to you could even set up the wheel on your transport to work without CSI or any controls surface extension added to Reaper. You can set the wheel to trigger generic keystrokes instead of specific actions and it will work fine with just a stock Reaper configuration. I used to have an artist transport myself and had some functions set up this way.

Again if you haven't already, I would really recommend watching this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=LIY3jEkTjkM
It's very easy to follow along, and shows in clear detail how to set up jog wheels in eucon to work with an software you'd like. The video demonstrates using the jog wheel on an artist control, but its the same process for the Transport (or the Dock for that matter)
Thank you for this explanation. Programming the custom command to the soft key first was what I was missing. Simply trying to assign commands to the wheel doesn’t work. The jog/shuttle does nothing as is, but your approach has added functionality to it. Greatly appreciated!
Old 09-24-2020, 06:16 AM   #10191
kevrose

Default MCU/C4 questions

Hi

I have been following this thread since its inception and have used Geoff's previous MCU surface plugin (never used the C4 satisfactorily though). I have the old style MCU, three XTs and a C4.

I've installed CSI and configured it. The MCU and XTs all seem to have basic functionality which is a great start. Also, thanks to MixMonkey's recent posts I've got the C4 working with ReaComp (yay!).

A few questions: for some reason, and I haven't changed any settings, but my master fader on the MCU does not reflect its position in Reaper. If I move it, it returns to infinity. All the other controls on the MCU seem to work. I'm pretty positive that when I installed CSI a few months ago this didn't happen.

Secondly, is there a plan to share .zon files for plugins? While I'm happy to go through the process of creating them (whatever that is - will need to re-read this thread) it seems sensible for users to share the love and avoid duplication.

I mainly use UAD, Softube, Arturia and Soundtoys' plugins, so if any of those need to be done I can make a start and share them once done.

Thanks.
kevrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:17 AM   #10192
ulfkilberg

Default Any way to quickly disable/enable CSI?

Hi!

Is there any quick way to toggle CSI on/off? Or any other way to temporarily bypass CSI to let MIDI through to Reaper? If not, can midi notes be allowed to be unaltered by CSI, so that I can use the drum pads on my controller to trigger drums etc and using other parts of the controller with CSI to control volume, pan etc?

/Ulf
ulfkilberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #10193
efiocco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
Try this in the mst

Widget Shift
Press 90 46 7f 90 46 00
FB_TwoState 90 46 7f 90 46 00
WidgetEnd
Hi Cragster, thanks for your reply.
I tried to include the release msg in the widget but it behave the same way, I can get to the modified state when I press shift, but can't get back to the unmodified state. Even with a GoZone Home assigned to another widget, if I go back to the "eq" Zone it keep the modified state for the encoder....
Old 09-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #10194
Cragster

Quote:
Originally Posted by efiocco View Post
Hi Cragster, thanks for your reply.
I tried to include the release msg in the widget but it behave the same way, I can get to the modified state when I press shift, but can't get back to the unmodified state. Even with a GoZone Home assigned to another widget, if I go back to the "eq" Zone it keep the modified state for the encoder....
Maybe it's the button itself ? Can you try another button . I had an issue like that a while back. I've come to find that all the buttons on surfaces ( well my surface/ icon pro x) dont all respond the same way.as far as the on/off button light etc.i know the button itself has to be a press and release as some buttons are not I guess. I ended up just changing my modifiers to other buttons
Old 09-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #10195
Cragster

@ efiacco
Maybe post all zone files in question. We can all take a look at and see if anything is off

Guys like Geoff mixmonkey and funkybot can find a needle in a csi haystack. Theyve done it for me lots of times
Old 09-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #10196
Funkybot

efiocco, your hardware button transmits both press (7f) and release (00) right? You see both? This is what you meant when you said in the ReaScript console it looks fine? If yes, then keep the Press and Release messages in the .mst. Next up would be to look at the zoon like Cragster recommended.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #10197
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrose View Post
Hi

I have been following this thread since its inception and have used Geoff's previous MCU surface plugin (never used the C4 satisfactorily though). I have the old style MCU, three XTs and a C4.

I've installed CSI and configured it. The MCU and XTs all seem to have basic functionality which is a great start. Also, thanks to MixMonkey's recent posts I've got the C4 working with ReaComp (yay!).

A few questions: for some reason, and I haven't changed any settings, but my master fader on the MCU does not reflect its position in Reaper. If I move it, it returns to infinity. All the other controls on the MCU seem to work. I'm pretty positive that when I installed CSI a few months ago this didn't happen.

Secondly, is there a plan to share .zon files for plugins? While I'm happy to go through the process of creating them (whatever that is - will need to re-read this thread) it seems sensible for users to share the love and avoid duplication.

I mainly use UAD, Softube, Arturia and Soundtoys' plugins, so if any of those need to be done I can make a start and share them once done.

Thanks.
I am using a C4 also, and love the idea of sharing zone files for all these plugins. I’ve just gotten started with creating them and only have a couple fabfilter plugs done. I use soundtoys, fabfilter, relab, liquid Sonics, etc. I think if no one has soundtoys ready to go, I’d start there.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #10198
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrose View Post

Post your MCU.zon and we can take a look If you've recently updated your CSI version, things may need to be changed in the MCU.zon file.

Quote:

Thanks.
Nothing formal I've attached some C4/Soundtoys zones for you.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #10199
MixMonkey

Quote:
I am using a C4 also, and love the idea of sharing zone files for all these plugins. I’ve just gotten started with creating them and only have a couple fabfilter plugs done. I use soundtoys, fabfilter, relab, liquid Sonics, etc. I think if no one has soundtoys ready to go, I’d start there.
...and here's a little package of Relab maps.

I split the LX480 into Reverb, Ambience and Twin Delays and instanciate them using an FX Chain (all this does is let me call different maps for the same plugin) You could combine them all and select using modifiers, if that suits you better.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #10200
efiocco

Thanks for chiming in Funkybot!
I cleaned up my .zon files and it's now working now on my laptop... I'll test it tomorrow with the big mac where it was not working...

i have a few more issues, for example with FF pro q2, having the gain parameter mapped to a fader widget, I can get the gain from 0 to +1dB, instead of +/-30dB... how can i find a workaround for this?
Thanks a lot!