Old 09-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #1
siniarch
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Starts with Playrate 0.8 speed

UPDATE ****SOLVED**** Look in REAPER.INI file and change playrate=0.89089872 to playrate=1

Hey everyone,

I'm sure I'm missing something dumb, but I can't seem to find it.
When I start an empty project, reaper starts with the Playrate set to .8 rather than 1.0.

I have a default template which is different and loads a bunch of tracks and that one starts with playrate at 1.0 no problem. So if I make a new project, it loads my template with all tracks and such and correct playrate.

But when I make new empty project playrate is wrong.
Also, I'm converting files with VORDIO from Premiere to XML Final Cut files to REAPER files. Those also start with playrate at 0.8?

Any help would be welcomed. (not the end of the world, but would just like to know why?)

Thank you much.

Last edited by siniarch; 09-24-2020 at 04:31 PM.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:21 AM   #2
jrk

I guess you've saved this setting via "Save as default project settings" at some point.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:13 AM   #3
jrk

see:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...04&postcount=8
Old 09-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm sure I'm missing something dumb, but I can't seem to find it.
When I start an empty project, reaper starts with the Playrate set to .8 rather than 1.0.

I have a default template which is different and loads a bunch of tracks and that one starts with playrate at 1.0 no problem. So if I make a new project, it loads my template with all tracks and such and correct playrate.

But when I make new empty project playrate is wrong.
Also, I'm converting files with VORDIO from Premiere to XML Final Cut files to REAPER files. Those also start with playrate at 0.8?

Any help would be welcomed. (not the end of the world, but would just like to know why?)

Thank you much.
Interesting problem I never thought about. Vordio doesn't write the playrate into RPPs so reaper will just substitute whatever is the default but I could force it to always be 1.0.

BTW Vordio 6.0 is available for early release but not on website yet. Lots of new stuff. Email if you are interested.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #5
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlimbic View Post
Interesting problem I never thought about. Vordio doesn't write the playrate into RPPs so reaper will just substitute whatever is the default but I could force it to always be 1.0.

BTW Vordio 6.0 is available for early release but not on website yet. Lots of new stuff. Email if you are interested.
Oh wow. I'm using Vordio as it seems to be better than AATranslate. I tried both and Vordio got me closer to what I wanted. Been working on about 16-18 exercise videos and at the end, I just had them send me the Premiere Project file. I exported to XML Final Cut Pro from there and VORDIO did the rest.

Sometimes it didn't come in exactly (as far as some items being on top of others) But with a few tweaks it was back to a very usable start point.

I'm looking forward to trying out v6!!!!

One other question you may know. When I bring the Audio in from Premiere as described above, The MP4 video files referenced in Premiere do not come in properly. They are a blank file which is fine as I'm guessing the video is a little different to handle when MP4. It's not a big deal because I can just import the file in myself. The one thing I always find is that when I import the video file, even if it's place at 00:00:00, the audio on the MP4 is always a little late in relation to the audio in REAPER. I'm assuming it's that when Premiere exported the MP4, it is not very accurate in writing the audio for that file.
We are talking milliseconds (or even down to samples) But if I don't line it up manually, it's not exact.

That being said, I really don't need the video to be exact. Just the audio. And sending the files back for review, I've never had an issue with the client complaining, so this is why I'm thinking it's a MP4 issue.

As for the playrate issue, it's certainly not Vordio's fault. I set up my mixing console and customized some buttons. One of those was to adjust the play rate. I'm sure I must have pushed that button before I save the default file. But for some reason I cannot figure out how to re-save the default empty file. I found it and re-saved it, but maybe it's looking in a different folder. I'll have to keep debugging this error.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #6
mrlimbic

Quote:
Sometimes it didn't come in exactly (as far as some items being on top of others) But with a few tweaks it was back to a very usable start point.
You will like the new Premiere XML converter in V6. It preserves much more of the original structure from Premiere & handles nested sequences way better. It also takes advantage of some very useful metadata adobe added since V5 was written.

Nested sequences (which people use to sync video/audio or multicam clips etc) were always a problem - how to map exploded items to reaper tracks because the necessary tracks can't really exist in a flat structure without overlapping sometimes.

Now nested sequences are exploded as nested tracks in reaper. This solves much of the crappy problems with V5 layout. You get more tracks that way but everything is a much nicer layout.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlimbic View Post
You will like the new Premiere XML converter in V6. It preserves much more of the original structure from Premiere & handles nested sequences way better. It also takes advantage of some very useful metadata adobe added since V5 was written.

Nested sequences (which people use to sync video/audio or multicam clips etc) were always a problem - how to map exploded items to reaper tracks because the necessary tracks can't really exist in a flat structure without overlapping sometimes.

Now nested sequences are exploded as nested tracks in reaper. This solves much of the crappy problems with V5 layout. You get more tracks that way but everything is a much nicer layout.
This is AMAZING!!! Can't wait to try it out.
Thanks.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #8
siniarch

Solved it.

Went into REAPER.ini file and found this:

playrate=0.89089872

Not sure how I set it as a default, but changing it to

playrate=1

and saving the file fixed it.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #9
mrlimbic

Quote:
The one thing I always find is that when I import the video file, even if it's place at 00:00:00, the audio on the MP4 is always a little late in relation to the audio in REAPER. I'm assuming it's that when Premiere exported the MP4, it is not very accurate in writing the audio for that file.
We are talking milliseconds (or even down to samples) But if I don't line it up manually, it's not exact.

That being said, I really don't need the video to be exact. Just the audio. And sending the files back for review, I've never had an issue with the client complaining, so this is why I'm thinking it's a MP4 issue
I missed this part of your question earlier but I have also found weird inconsistencies with audio sync from different video renders. For instance I can render exactly the same video timeline from Final Cut in one format and the audio sync is fine in reaper, but with another format the audio is slightly out of sync. So not sure if that problem is final cut's fault or reaper's fault.

When I have a sync problem with a reference video I transcode the video to an intra frame codec like Prores Proxy but that may only be a fix that works on mac. Not sure if that would also work on windows.

Also sometimes switching the video engine in reaper makes a difference in sync, other times it doesn't.

Last edited by mrlimbic; 09-24-2020 at 04:57 PM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
siniarch

I'm really starting to believe is a nature of the Video File. I was trying to get my Tentacle Sync time code devices to be functional in a production workflow. https://tentaclesync.com/
They seem to have it figured out for Mac, but on Windows it becomes more complicated and when dealing with different file formats it was always an issue with me. Again, when zooming in at sample rates, you could see the time was off, which was the exact reason I bought the device, to make sure it wouldn't be off.

I haven't gone back to figure this out as I'm not filming anything at the moment, but similar issues with this.

I certainly don't think it's Vordio as the sound is always in sync to itself. But the MP4 files certainly don't look to be able to keep time sync when you look close enough.

No worries as I've figure out how to work with it, and either way, as long as my audio syncs when I send it back, it's not an issue.

Thanks and be well.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #11
mrlimbic

Quote:
I'm really starting to believe is a nature of the Video File. I was trying to get my Tentacle Sync time code devices to be functional in a production workflow. https://tentaclesync.com/
They seem to have it figured out for Mac, but on Windows it becomes more complicated and when dealing with different file formats it was always an issue with me. Again, when zooming in at sample rates, you could see the time was off, which was the exact reason I bought the device, to make sure it wouldn't be off.

I haven't gone back to figure this out as I'm not filming anything at the moment, but similar issues with this.

I certainly don't think it's Vordio as the sound is always in sync to itself. But the MP4 files certainly don't look to be able to keep time sync when you look close enough.

No worries as I've figure out how to work with it, and either way, as long as my audio syncs when I send it back, it's not an issue.

Thanks and be well.
Yes exactly that. An MP4 rendered from FCPX was was worse sync in reaper than a MOV rendered from FCPX with exactly same video timeline. MP4 does seem to be slightly unpredictable as a container format. The interesting thing in this case is that the container had exactly the same codec inside (h264) so the problem can't even be the codec (the MOV also used h264) - it must be the container file.

Last edited by mrlimbic; 09-24-2020 at 05:29 PM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote