Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Jeffos
Mortal

Default S&M Live Configs - Extension for live performers

EDIT 7 jan. 2013: Big overhaul of the Live Configs in SWS/S&M extension v2.3.0 #9 (beta ATM, download here)
The user guide is totally outdated. I will update that when I can, in the meantime I removed the outdated PDF => download will fail! New features are shortly described here.
_______

The Live Configs is part of the SWS/S&M extension. Download the lastest version here.

I made a little user manual about Live Configs: download PDF.

Live Configs!? What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the PDF
The "Live Configs" is a tool made for live performers.

As the wording "live" is used for very different things, the scope of this tool/document can be simply clarified:
- Sound engineers mixing a band (or something) live
- "Playback-based" software, like live step sequencers, etc..
- Using the computer as an FX processor, just like a pedal effect <- here we are: on stage!

.. so we do not care about the keyboard, the mouse or things like that. We just want to plug things, boot the computer and play the guitar (or keys or both: it works the same for audio and MIDI).
We just need a MIDI controller to change "configs" while playing: a fader, a knob, an expression pedal or +/- pedals.
"Changing configs" means changing effects (VST/VSTi, AU, ..), FX presets, routings, triggering actions, etc…. well, anything but in a smooth and glitch-free way.

It might be useful other people too: it is not clearly said in the PDF but the tool can also just be used to trigger actions. The difference with standard macros is that you can use absolute values of learned CC messages. Example: CC#4 value 10 -> do this, CC#4 value 11 -> do that, etc..

Feel free to post feedback or questions if the PDF is not clear enough (e.g. sucky English) !

Last edited by Jeffos; 03-11-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: BIG overhaul but outdated PDF user manual
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
moliere
Human being with feelings

Damn that looks cool...
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Anton9

Hey Jeffos,

Good job on the pdf! I was wondering something.., in the pdf it says this, "On WindowsOS, a command “Learn from Actions window” is available in the context menu" I am on Windows and I don't see this command in the context menu. I'm using v2.1.0 #28.., is the command in this version or is it in an upcoming version?

Also noticed when right clicking on a cell under "Acivate action" and selecting "Edit" it opens the cell under "FX user presets" instead. If I do the same under "Deactivate action" it opens the cell under "Activate action" for editing.

Cheers

Last edited by Anton9; 02-03-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
Good job on the pdf! I was wondering something.., in the pdf it says this, "On WindowsOS, a command “Learn from Actions window” is available in the context menu" I am on Windows and I don't see this command in the context menu. I'm using v2.1.0 #28.., is the command in this version or is it in an upcoming version?
Hi Anton! yes, the doc is ahead of the code, that must be a first!
I have not yet pushed these updates in the SWS extension: coming soon..
EDIT: minor updates around GUI (same "MIDI core"). It was just really time to publish some doc!

That's also why the pdf deals with an imaginary v2.1.0 #30 which is a version that does not exist yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
Also noticed when right clicking on a cell under "Acivate action" and selecting "Edit" it opens the cell under "FX user presets" instead. If I do the same under "Deactivate action" it opens the cell under "Activate action" for editing.
yep, known and fixed too! coming soon..

Last edited by Jeffos; 02-04-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
XITE-1/4LIVE

Just saw this and dl'd it immediately, and thank you so much.
I use a config nobody else uses but a few guys who don't spend much time forum-izing.
Now we even have a thread.
I hope ypou don;t mind but I will posting with many questions very soon.
I was going to buy a MIDI Temp set up but Reaper is my last chance for software live.
It's stable as hell so that's a good start.

Thanks 4 Your efforts and time...

CiaoMein
Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
tweed

woohoo. getting it.

plus, happy to hear about forthcoming update for functionality ... and lots to be happily doing until then. maximum magical!
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
andrew737

Default S&M LiveConfig and cycling through vsti with 1 button

Hi to all!
I've past the last two days trying to understand how to cycling through the lines in the liveconfig (using multi sessions of the same vsti) with a simple pedal or a button in the midi controller... any advice to how to do that?

[IMG]http://img843.**************/img843/5166/32787954.jpg[/IMG]

If it's not possible, there are others ways to do it? for example the snapshots works fine... but the switching is really slow, i need to change sounds in a live situation, so... faster is better
Thanks!! And sorry for my bad english!
Greetings from Italy!
andrew737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Mr. Data

Hi Andrew and welcome to Reaperland!

A while ago I tried this as well, but it didn't work out like I wanted it to do. The structure and way it works is, unlike most other things in Reaper and its extensions, all but self-explanatory. After fiddling hours I managed to get some results but not with Program Change messages, as it should be IMO, but with changing some Controller.

Now I opened the window again and I regret to say, I'm as clueless as you.

Not much of a help, eh?

Sorry.

-Data
Old 06-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
BenK-msx

hi, there are actions that select the config -

in actions (hit '?' ) search 'config' and those are a set for going to next/previous within each 'bank' of 8.

however also to the top right of the actions window, at the 'section' drop down box, change that from 'main' to 's&m extensions'...

then the list will update to show the live config 'midi' only assignable actions, that once assigned let you cycle to specific configs #'s using one midi controller CC. that could also be what you're after.

Jeffos may come and explain all, he wanted swift changes so its possible. cheers.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 06-27-2012 at 08:09 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
andrew737

Thanks for the welcome, and... OMG it's working Those damn "config" command are well hidden! And the switching is fast enough too!
1000 times thankyou
Old 06-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
andrew737

Can I set a challenge? the switching works perfect, but if I load too many vsti it's kinda saturate the RAM... It would be perfect if i could set all the fx offline except the one i'm using and the next one (like a preload), and the "next" button automatically puts the next on "preload" and the previous one on "offline" :S
For example,
CC Value 000: fx 01 and fx 02 online, and 3,4,5,6,7,8 offline
CC Value 001: fx 02 and fx 03 online, and 1,4,5,6,7,8 offline
CC Value 002: fx 03 and fx 04 online, and 1,2,5,6,7,8 offline
And so on

I've tried to build a custom action, but the rule affect only the selected track, even if I set (on the same action) all the others on offline

I keep trying in the meantime

You rock! \m/
Old 12-06-2015, 05:45 AM   #12
Ravi

Default Please help

Please note I am new to Reaper Please help

I have setup 5 vst instrument tracks in reaper The instruments are played through midi data from another midi track

I need to switch track during Live performance using a midi pad with 5 buttons so that I can select and play any instrument during a song

I do not know what MIDI codes I need to send from midi controller pad with 5 buttons to reaper and what should be midi port and channel assignments to achieve this

Also how can I send track switching midi codes using Reaper Virtual Midi Keyboard

Please kindly provide me sufficient step-by-step detail

Thank You Very Much

Rav
Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #13
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
I do not know what MIDI codes I need to send from midi controller pad with 5 buttons to reaper and what should be midi port and channel assignments to achieve this
Without other tools LiveConfig is controlled by Midi CC messages.

It can be trained to adhere to any CC controller on any channel (exactly one CC and exactly one channel dedicated to exactly one "config" (page) ).

Hence if you can set it that way the 5 keyboard buttons should send the same CC on the same channel with five different values.

The lines on that page are addressed by the CC value.

If your keyboard buttons send different messages (e.g. program change) you need to install and configure yet two other tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
Also how can I send track switching midi codes using Reaper Virtual Midi Keyboard
Only by using Live configs, one of the said additional tools and a tool that changes midi note to CC. This might or might not be available out of the box, but it can rather easily be scripted. (In fact I don't see why anybody would want to do this, but ....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound View Post
hwover as a live sound engineer, i indeed do care about the keyboard and mouse.
I can supply scripts that use LiveConfigs to switch tracks on PC keyboard shortcuts in a rather sophisticated way (e.g. stepping through multiple positions in multiple songs additional to direct access) (work in progress -> http://www.bschnell.de/patch.pdf.)

-Michael

(I updated the Live Configs Doku (work in progress -> http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf )

Last edited by mschnell; 01-22-2016 at 11:45 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:23 PM   #14
Ravi

Default Please help

Thank You Very Much for your kind reply

Please kindly provide me with more details

I am using Reaper in a live setup

For each song,
I need to create a Midi backing track with drum, base multiple sounds. Is this multiple sounds in backing track possible.

Each song will have multiple midi regions which loop and which can be started or selected one after the previous using single Midi controller keyboard button Please advise if it is possible to select Midi region using single Midi controller keyboard button and how to make reaper play 2 or more sounds for each midi note on backing track

Another audio input track for singer

There is another track with VST software which generates Midi data from guitar. This midi data is routed to 8 other tracks which host different VSTi sounds selectable by using 8 Midi controller keyboard buttons

Please kindly advise me the best solutions step-by-step with sufficient details about track routing and midi backing track region and vsti instrument selection in live

Thank You Very Much
Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:01 AM   #15
mschnell

As LiveConfigs is provided to allow to switch on and off sound and effect engines (i.e. mute and unmute Reaper tracks), but not to control run/stop of playback, I suppose this is not the appropriate tool for what you have in mind (even though LiveConfigs in fact can generate any Reaper "actions" and via that you can start / stop playback and have full control about Reaper via scripts).

Maybe the new Reaper Feature "SubProject" allows for starting (by a Reaper event) and running multiple multi-track setups independently (but in parallel). I did not yet take a look at that.

Maybe, what you want is a sampler: an instrument that triggered by a Midi (note-on) message plays back a (or multiple) recorded sound.

Here you can take a look at (e.g.) "LinuxSampler" -> http://www.linuxsampler.org/documentation.html . (Despite of the name there is a Windows version. I did not look for Mac stuff).

LinuxSampler (and other similar VSTs, I once tried e.g. Sforzando -> https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/ or see -> http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=115186 ) use the standard SFZ format to define it's "sounds":

In an SFZ file, you define wav-files to be played back whenever a note-on is received and you can set lots of playback parameters (trigger keys, loops, pitch modification, envelopes, filters, ...) most of which you will not need here.

Once you wrote an SFZ file ad saved the wave files with your sounds to be played back you can use the Sampler as a VST instrument that will play your files triggered by your pads (or whatever midi source).

Of course one of the best (known) Sampers is NI Kontakt. It uses it's own propriety format and can import your wav files in a user friendly way. But it is not exactly cheap .

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 01-23-2016 at 11:13 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #16
godly

You can use marker actions to start stop the timeline?
godly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #17
bazsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
EDIT 7 jan. 2013: Big overhaul of the Live Configs in SWS/S&M extension v2.3.0 #9 (beta ATM, download here)
The user guide is totally outdated. I will update that when I can, in the meantime I removed the outdated PDF => download will fail! New features are shortly described here.
_______

The Live Configs is part of the SWS/S&M extension. Download the lastest version here.

I made a little user manual about Live Configs: download PDF.

Live Configs!? What is it?

It might be useful other people too: it is not clearly said in the PDF but the tool can also just be used to trigger actions. The difference with standard macros is that you can use absolute values of learned CC messages. Example: CC#4 value 10 -> do this, CC#4 value 11 -> do that, etc..

Feel free to post feedback or questions if the PDF is not clear enough (e.g. sucky English) !
very nice i need to check this out.

hwover as a live sound engineer, i indeed do care about the keyboard and mouse. since i need to make adjustments to plugins and insert plugins on the fly.

very nice though this looks very interesting as an alternative to waves or liveprofessor
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote