Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-03-2022, 06:02 AM   #1
chmaha
Human being with feelings

Default What do you use to burn REAPER bin/cue in Linux?

Just wondering what other people use (with an emphasis on GUI apps). In the past I have exclusively used CLI and specifically cdrdao with the --swap option given that it expects a BIN file to be big endian whereas REAPER generates a little-endian BIN. I've forgotten this a couple of times and ended up with static noise coasters

Anyhow, just wondering if something like K3B is clever enough to figure out the big/little endian thing before I waste a blank CD-R (only a handful left on my spindle). Despite it now being 2022, I have a good number of clients that still like pay for a couple of discs so they can easily play on their aging but very expensive hi-fi systems.

As far as I can tell, xfburn is a no-go...
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:32 AM   #2
The Kid

I just render the wavs in Reaper and make the red book cd in Brasero
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:30 PM   #3
chmaha

Problem with Brasero, AFAIK, is that it can only do TAO and not DAO (if you go the individual track files route).
Old 01-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #4
The Kid

Ah, ok
I just burn CDs for one guy, the only one left lol
All the CDs I made for him work on his old players (not computers)
I think I have two blank CDs left, that'll last me one year
What's Disk At Once for?
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:44 PM   #5
chmaha

DAO is for when you absolutely don't want any silence between tracks such as on live albums where the background noise continues through the whole disc, or where two or more songs/movements might naturally follow on without gap/pause.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:44 AM   #6
martblek

xfburn with cdrdao ?
martblek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:53 AM   #7
chmaha

I suppose I'll just stick with the cdrdao cli route and maybe create an alias so I never forget the --swap option

The only other slightly more cumbersome way I can think of is creating a DDP in REAPER and then using ddpinfo -w (http://ddp.andreasruge.de/) to generate a wav/cue combo that cdrdao can handle with no other options required.

Now that REAPER has r8brain free as the samplerate converter it's great to generate everything in the box.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:44 AM   #8
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
I suppose I'll just stick with the cdrdao cli route and maybe create an alias so I never forget the --swap option
<snip>...
Hi Beth,
may I ask, just out of curiosity, why that --swap option, please?
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:29 AM   #9
martblek

--swap swaps byte order with cdrdao write command
Old 01-07-2022, 08:33 AM   #10
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martblek View Post
--swap swaps byte order with cdrdao write command
Yes, that part I did realized, but why use it if burning reaper-created WAV/CUE ??
Is there any bug or what in "cdrdao"?
Old 01-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #11
martblek

see first post.

I see that you can still get the latest version of Nero for Linux, but I don't know if it will work today, I haven't had a DVD drive in X years. The support allegedly ended sometime around 2010

http://www.pcds.fi/downloads/applica...ero.linux.html
Old 01-07-2022, 11:32 AM   #12
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Yes, that part I did realized, but why use it if burning reaper-created WAV/CUE ??
Is there any bug or what in "cdrdao"?
REAPER creates BIN (not WAV) + CUE. But its BIN file is little-endian not big-endian as expected by cdrdao. So, no, it's not a fault with cdrdao. Honestly, I find it odd that REAPER doesn't instead create WAV+CUE by default given I've always associated BIN files with data disc rips. It would be nice to have the option even if said option is buried deep in a settings menu. Indeed, it should probably be default for Linux given I can't find any GUI app that can handle BIN/CUE.

You can render a long WAV and then create a CUE with latest scripts from MPL but for me it was always a workaround because there was no built-in SoX or r8brain so I did all my distribution formats outside of REAPER from a hi-res WAV/CUE master.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:17 PM   #13
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by martblek View Post
see first post.

I see that you can still get the latest version of Nero for Linux, but I don't know if it will work today, I haven't had a DVD drive in X years. The support allegedly ended sometime around 2010

http://www.pcds.fi/downloads/applica...ero.linux.html
A quick update: Nero Linux 3.5.x (AUR) and 4.0 (rpm link above in quote) both directly burn a BIN/CUE from REAPER! For any Manjaro/Arch users, I simply copied the included files in the rpm into the relevant directories (/etc & /usr). Thanks for the tip, Martblek! I suppose it might be worth my while to create a pkgbuild file...
Old 01-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #14
Xasman

Quote:
A quick update: Nero Linux 3.5.x (AUR) and 4.0 (rpm link above in quote) both directly burn a BIN/CUE from REAPER! For any Manjaro/Arch users, I simply copied the included files in the rpm into the relevant directories (/etc & /usr). Thanks for the tip, Martblek! I suppose it might be worth my while to create a pkgbuild file...
Thank you, BethHarmon, it's kind of you to share this info. Although I don't do much CD burning these days, I still need it very occasionally (I used to use ISOburn on Windows), so it's good to know about this all-Linux solution as I continue to gradually migrate!
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:27 AM   #15
akademie

Quote:
REAPER creates BIN (not WAV) + CUE. But its BIN file is little-endian not big-endian as expected by cdrdao. So, no, it's not a fault with cdrdao.
<snip>...
Oh, I see, thank you for explanation Beth.
I thought it can be that, but was not really sure it can make compatibility problems these days.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:59 AM   #16
mcoyle

Default CD? Who wants a CD???

I know this is pretty much solved, but as bad-luck has it, a client just asked for a favor - take an old bootleg audio cassette from 1997 and burn it to a CD!

I cleaned it up in Reaper and exported a single WAV.

Opened the WAV in Audacity and added the track markers, then exported individual WAVs based on track markers.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/...te_tracks.html

Followed the directions on the page linked below to create a Table of Contents and then burn a DAO with cdrdao

https://mrbluecoat.blogspot.com/2013...-audio-cd.html

A lot of steps, but it worked perfectly.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:49 AM   #17
chmaha

Thanks for adding to the conversation! Yeah cdrdao is fab and definitely works perfectly with a bin/cue from REAPER as long as you remember to add the swap flag
Old 06-01-2022, 02:03 AM   #18
chmaha

Just re-visiting the thread this morning as I'm making a very quick CD for someone to audition some choral tracks. Rather than use BIN+CUE export, I created a WAV+CUE using the method I outline in one of my latest videos: https://youtu.be/8sVFSctJqXw. Obviously it doesn't need to be "hi-res" and, instead, select 44.1/16-bit wave (with dither as required...my next video topic!).

To recap, the other option is basically to render "Audio CD Image (CUE/BIN format)" and then use Nero or cdrdao (with the --swap flag).

I'm sad there isn't an open source cdrdao GUI. Maybe this could be my first C or C++ project!
Old 06-01-2022, 05:09 AM   #19
chmaha

And, for better or for worse, I just created my first AUR:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nerolinux4

Luckily there's a nerolinux3 AUR in existence so modifying was relatively painless (if it actually works). Of course, I realized that I forgot to reset pkgrel= to 1 but never mind that

Last edited by chmaha; 06-01-2022 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:39 AM   #20
s wave

Isn't big and little endian just reversed code? Is there a code converter to just flip the numbers? just wondering... nice thread.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:44 AM   #21
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Isn't big and little endian just reversed code? Is there a code converter to just flip the numbers? just wondering... nice thread.
That's the purpose of the --swap flag in cdrdao. However, if you forget to do that, you get a CD full of static

I return to the idea that BIN is a weird format for CD audio. Why did the devs feel the need to change the endian in the first place when WAV would have been a perfectly good companion to CUE (as it is in Ardour)? The bonus also that the WAV+CUE could be used in countless apps to create individual lossy deliverables.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:47 AM   #22
s wave

In the old Saturn console people use to burn discs of House of the Dead etc. maybe maybe you can get an idea from this old thread - sometimes the beginning tech/innovation has a simpler answer/path? https://www.racketboy.com/retro/burn...aturn-games-on
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:49 AM   #23
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
In the old Saturn console people use to burn discs of House of the Dead etc. maybe maybe you can get an idea from this old thread - sometimes the beginning tech/innovation has a simpler answer/path? https://www.racketboy.com/retro/burn...aturn-games-on
My earlier point exactly. I've always associated BIN with data, not audio!