Old 07-30-2020, 05:31 AM   #1
XilburQost
Human being with feelings

Default Captain Plugins & REAPER

Earlier this year I purchased "Captain Plugins + Captain Beat!" from Mixed in Key. They are composition VST tools designed to work within DAWs. Unfortunately, after experiencing some odd behavior with the plugins I contacted Mixed in Key only to learn that their product is not officially supported in REAPER (I failed to read the fine print before purchasing and it didn't occur to me that there might be compatibility issues).

That said, while I'm waiting to be accepted into Mixed In Key's Facebook community forum, anybody have experience with REAPER and Captain Plugins?

Thanks.
XilburQost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #2
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by XilburQost View Post
Earlier this year I purchased "Captain Plugins + Captain Beat!" from Mixed in Key. They are composition VST tools designed to work within DAWs. Unfortunately, after experiencing some odd behavior with the plugins I contacted Mixed in Key only to learn that their product is not officially supported in REAPER (I failed to read the fine print before purchasing and it didn't occur to me that there might be compatibility issues).

That said, while I'm waiting to be accepted into Mixed In Key's Facebook community forum, anybody have experience with REAPER and Captain Plugins?

Thanks.
XilburQost i feel sad for you...the only idea that come to my head is,

maybe try "using" another DAW in conjonction with reaper,
maybe make your chords stuff in anothere DAW (cakewalk or something free)
then import the track in reaper..

sorry,that's the only idea i have for you

Last edited by martmix; 07-30-2020 at 06:32 AM.
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
vanhaze

You don't mention your Operating System, which is important info ..

Anyways, i am on OSX 10.15.6, running latest version of Captain plugins and Reaper:
No issues at all.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:39 AM   #4
XilburQost

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I forgot my stats:

Windows 10 Home v1909
REAPER v6.13

As for trying a different DAW, Mixed in Key currently supports Ableton Live, FL Studio & Cubase under Windows 10.

I might try the newly resurrected Cakewalk, though Mixed in Key doesn't mention it.

Thanks again.

FYI, the other issue I note is that the plugins conflict with Waves Audio's virtual keyboards (prevents them from loading their sound libraries). I don't want to hammer on Captain Plugins too much because it's a great product, it just doesn't appear to be a good fit for my setup.

Last edited by XilburQost; 07-30-2020 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-30-2020, 07:17 AM   #5
martmix

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I forgot my stats:

Windows 10 Home v1909
REAPER v6.13

As for trying a different DAW, Mixed in Key currently supports Ableton Live, FL Studio & Cubase under Windows 10.

I might try the newly resurrected Cakewalk, though Mixed in Key doesn't mention it.
you can download cakewalk there:
(you have to create an account on bandlab,but it's all free)

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
Old 07-30-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
XilburQost

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmix View Post
you can download cakewalk there:
(you have to create an account on bandlab,but it's all free)

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
Thank you martmix. Already done. Once upon a time I used to work with Cakewalk Sonar, then when they went belly-up I had no way to access my projects until BandLab brought it back.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #7
martmix

Quote:
Thank you martmix. Already done. Once upon a time I used to work with Cakewalk Sonar, then when they went belly-up I had no way to access my projects until BandLab brought it back.
i was using Sonar since 2005,but then i made the transition to Reaper this winter..
Old 07-30-2020, 07:46 AM   #8
Sari

No problem whatsoever here:

Windows 10 Home v2004 - 64bit
REAPER v6.13 - 64 bit
Old 07-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #9
XilburQost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sari View Post
No problem whatsoever here:

Windows 10 Home v2004 - 64bit
REAPER v6.13 - 64 bit
Thanks Sari. That's encouraging. I'll post my issue here because Mixed in Key won't address it because I'm using REAPER:

With Captain Melody, I tap in a starter melody using my keyboard, then use the Idea Box to modify the melody. I click on the "Update Lanes" button which is supposed to create a melody from the notes I input, but all it (usually) does is just change the octave of the notes. On one occasion it worked as advertised and created a melody, but why it worked that one time and not others is a mystery.

I had another situation where somehow the Idea Box created multiple versions of itself which were invisible, yet could be heard when I ran the sequence. I had to restart REAPER to make the Idea Boxes visible.

The problem for me is that without Mixed in Key's support (or their Facebook community support) I'm not sure if the software is the problem or the problem is how I'm using it.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #10
Sari

Quote:
Thanks Sari. That's encouraging. I'll post my issue here because Mixed in Key won't address it because I'm using REAPER:

With Captain Melody, I tap in a starter melody using my keyboard, then use the Idea Box to modify the melody. I click on the "Update Lanes" button which is supposed to create a melody from the notes I input, but all it (usually) does is just change the octave of the notes. On one occasion it worked as advertised and created a melody, but why it worked that one time and not others is a mystery.

I had another situation where somehow the Idea Box created multiple versions of itself which were invisible, yet could be heard when I ran the sequence. I had to restart REAPER to make the Idea Boxes visible.

The problem for me is that without Mixed in Key's support (or their Facebook community support) I'm not sure if the software is the problem or the problem is how I'm using it.
They always addressed my problems and they always knew I use Reaper!
Old 01-06-2022, 09:32 PM   #11
ttguitarstrings

Default Possible Fix

I just bought the Captain Chords package (Chords,Beats,Melody,etc) and installed and played around for about an hour. After I started Reaper the next day and tried to launch any of the Captain VST's, it would just hang and I was forced to restart Reaper. I have managed to get it working by installing the 32 bit version only and unchecking the 64 bit option. I tried it the other way, but had the same problem. My OS is Windows 10 Home Version and I am running the latest Reaper build. Hopefully that will help anyone having a similar problem.
ttguitarstrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:26 AM   #12
wallace

Does this plug-in still have issues in Reaper?
I’m running W10. 64, Reaper 6.46

Thanks
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:53 AM   #13
Bansaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
Does this plug-in still have issues in Reaper?
I’m running W10. 64, Reaper 6.46

Thanks
I've been using Capt. Chords in Reaper for a few years without many issues. In the beginning I felt like a Beta tester, but a few months later bugs were addressed.

Now I just upgraded to Capt. Epic, and have some major bugs. Again, I feel like a Beta tester, but hopefully in a few months bugs will be fixed.
I was very surprised to learn Reaper wasn't supported (actually they told me a few mins ago, when I filed a bug report.) : (
Bansaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 07:28 AM   #14
Blastrio

I bought Captain Plugins a few years ago (7 or 8, don't remember), had problems in Reaper but mostly with display size. If I had a CP plugin in one track, then switched to another smaller GUI plugin, then switched back again to CP, the interface would be the same size as the one of the plugin displayed before. And if that size was smaller, a lot smaller, CP's plug would become unreadable / unusable. I contacted CP about it, they said they didn't support Reaper but maybe they would in the future.
So last summer they had a 30$ upgrade promo, I bought it, thinking maybe they now supporyed Reaper, which is what most companies now do after ignoring Reaper for a long time. Now it just generates extremely weird chords, that are not actually chords. For example, three notes that are all one semaine apart.
I wrote to CP again, sent them a screenshot of the chords, they acknowledged that the chords were weird, and nothing after that. I didn't bother trying it in another DAW.
I now use Melody Sauce whenever I need a little spark. Used to be very buggy but the last update seems to have fixed the bugs. There's also Differ from Audiomodern, but I like Melody Sauce better.
But nowadays, there's all kinds of AI music generators, some web based, so you could use that too.
Blastrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 01:22 AM   #15
MarkFromHawaii

I'm having problems with Reaper crashing when I close a project while running Captain Plugins Beat Epic or open a new project from that project. When I re-open Reaper, it opens to the previous project with Captain Plugins. I've tested this and removed all tracks and saved until I got to the track with CP Beat Epic. Sure enough, Reaper crashed when I tried to remove that track. And when I opened Reaper, it reverted to that last instance with only that track present. My workaround: I have Reaper pinned to my task bar and I right click the icon which lists recent projects. I can select a stable project and open it and then open other projects from there. I also noticed that exporting the midi groove created in the plugin also has issues when I try to edit the pattern in the Reaper midi editor and copy/paste the pattern - the notes are there but there is no sound on playback. It's as if there's some kind of built-in protection to prevent sharing patterns. You must use the plugin to edit and export the pattern.

System specifics:
Windows 10 Ver. 10.0.19045
Reaper Ver. 6.81 win 64
Captain Plugins Epic Ver. 7.0 (latest)
MarkFromHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 03:40 PM   #16
Knob Twiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromHawaii View Post
I'm having problems with Reaper crashing when I close a project while running Captain Plugins Beat Epic or open a new project from that project. When I re-open Reaper, it opens to the previous project with Captain Plugins. I've tested this and removed all tracks and saved until I got to the track with CP Beat Epic. Sure enough, Reaper crashed when I tried to remove that track. And when I opened Reaper, it reverted to that last instance with only that track present. My workaround: I have Reaper pinned to my task bar and I right click the icon which lists recent projects. I can select a stable project and open it and then open other projects from there. I also noticed that exporting the midi groove created in the plugin also has issues when I try to edit the pattern in the Reaper midi editor and copy/paste the pattern - the notes are there but there is no sound on playback. It's as if there's some kind of built-in protection to prevent sharing patterns. You must use the plugin to edit and export the pattern.

System specifics:
Windows 10 Ver. 10.0.19045
Reaper Ver. 6.81 win 64
Captain Plugins Epic Ver. 7.0 (latest)
I have the same problem as you describe above...if I knew that earlier I would not have bought it....

Your second problem is maybe a misunderstanding? When you export the patterns you have to link them to a VST instrument to hear sound.
Knob Twiddler is offline   Reply With Quote