Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 05-17-2021, 06:33 AM   #841
Nabla
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiramallo View Post
It appears once you create an eq point by doble clicking in the plot for example.
I had imagined it, but in my case does'nt work.
The right button opens a working menu. Dragging points changes audio.

But under no circumstances I can see any other information as I see in the screenshots here on the forum (bottom buttons, big info box)

Ii have an "Hi DPI" display (XPS 15 9570, 4K display). Reaper doesn't support Hi DPI on plugins very well. Coult it be an HiDPI-related issue?

EDIT
I found in the code a variable, "gfx_ext_retina". Setting it to 2 the plugin works. So, it was an HiDPI-related issue. SOLVED!

Last edited by Nabla; 05-17-2021 at 06:51 AM.
Nabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:00 AM   #842
javiramallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabla View Post

But under no circumstances I can see any other information as I see in the screenshots here on the forum (bottom buttons, big info box)

Ii have an "Hi DPI" display (XPS 15 9570, 4K display). Reaper doesn't support Hi DPI on plugins very well. Coult it be an HiDPI-related issue?

EDIT
I found in the code a variable, "gfx_ext_retina". Setting it to 2 the plugin works. So, it was an HiDPI-related issue. SOLVED!
Great!

Cheers.
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #843
sts

I made the following small addition to the "Version" field of the settings menu of my copy of ReEq (see attachment). It helps me to keep track of the current version and whether or not it is up-to-date. Maybe this is useful for the next release. If not, it can easily done by the users themselves (just look for the "#VERSION" line in the code).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture_2021-05-17_214.jpg (8.8 KB, 279 views)
sts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:18 AM   #844
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabla View Post

EDIT
From the screenshot you provided it looks like there wasn't enough room to show the panel. In this case, ReEQ hides the panel. If you increase the size of the window the panel should appear.

It's done like this so that you can have ReEQ as an TCP or MCP visual insert (new with Reaper 6).
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:20 AM   #845
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
Thank you for this update! And yes, we also need an updated
manual, and that is here: download me.

Feel free to put it into the first post.
I've added it to the front page. Thanks again for providing it!
Old 05-18-2021, 02:22 AM   #846
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafac View Post
@Reaperto and whoever else is using my ReaPack redistribution:

I updated the package to v1.0.12 👍

@nitsuj: As always, thank you for your awesome work, and if you want any help packaging ReEQ with ReaPack officially, please let me know.
Thanks for updating your package!

At some point (soon), I'll drop you a line about an official ReaPack ReEQ.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #847
Polly1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
Unfortunately ReaJS isn't running the latest version of JSFX that's in Reaper. ReEQ uses a lot of latest features. Hopefully they'll bring it up to date at some point.

Donation wise, there's a link on the front page.
I get this same error (spectrum.jsfx-inc' error in init '559: 'fft_real' undefined: 'fft_real(spectrum.fftworkspace,spectrum.fftsize) with Reaper 4.77 version.
Polly1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:28 PM   #848
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly1234 View Post
I get this same error (spectrum.jsfx-inc' error in init '559: 'fft_real' undefined: 'fft_real(spectrum.fftworkspace,spectrum.fftsize) with Reaper 4.77 version.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....43#post2346043

Reaper Version 4.77 is from over 6 years ago.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:44 AM   #849
Vigilis

Default Donations

Do you have a tip jar or donation page for the work you did on this plug in?

Thanks!
Vigilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 01:07 AM   #850
dahya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilis View Post
Do you have a tip jar or donation page for the work you did on this plug in?

Thanks!
It's in the very first post, and posted here for your convenience:

https://www.paypal.me/nitsujdsp
dahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #851
Fergler

I found an interesting thing for both plugins - when the UI is NOT being drawn, either because the plugin window is closed or the settings menu is open, the CPU use spikes up by 3-5x.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #852
Link0126

Wow, I love this! But is there a way to reverse the direction the Q changes when using the mouse wheel? I'm used to it being the opposite way.
Link0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:35 PM   #853
Ad0

AMAZING plugin!!! I guess this will be my goto.
One question! Is it possible to enter the note to put it in the center of the corresponding frequency?
Even modifier + drag would suffice to "lock on" to notes / pitch.
Ad0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:42 PM   #854
adamg

We chatted a bit in one of the FB groups a while back. I'll buy/donate $50 if you can get these two items fixed:

1) bands randomly bypass themselves. I haven't been able to narrow down a cause. It just seems to happen at inopportune times (maybe it's become self aware?)

2) Let me type in some numbers for values.

Seriously, I would change all of my EQs over to ReEQ if these two items were there. Thanks for reading!
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #855
rafa1981

I'd estimate finding and fixing that bug best-case as 20min-1h. Data entry on JSFX on a custom GUI I don't know if it can be done, but if possible looks like North of 1 hours, probably 6.

So for that kind of work a software dev contractor could charge around 200$-700$.

I know that the intentions are good, but people often get wrong how much a software engineer costs hourly because the product of his work (software) can be replicated at no cost, so because of scale economies one can buy a product with a cost to develop in the order of thousands of years (e.g. Windows 10) for under 100$, but if one wanted to pay dev time for a 100 hour development-time feature the cost could be 100 times the full license.

It's easy to make a seemingly-generous offer (not many people donates 50$ to OSS projects), while at the same time a middle-aged dev with responsibilities might find the offer unappealing in the best case . In the worst case it might feel insulting, as if the author was addressing a 14 year old computer nerd.

I don't know a good solution to this. As said the intentions are good.
rafa1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #856
adamg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa1981 View Post
I'd estimate finding and fixing that bug best-case as 20min-1h. Data entry on JSFX on a custom GUI I don't know if it can be done, but if possible looks like North of 1 hours, probably 6.

So for that kind of work a software dev contractor could charge around 200$-700$.

I know that the intentions are good, but people often get wrong how much a software engineer costs hourly because the product of his work (software) can be replicated at no cost, so because of scale economies one can buy a product with a cost to develop in the order of thousands of years (e.g. Windows 10) for under 100$, but if one wanted to pay dev time for a 100 hour development-time feature the cost could be 100 times the full license.

It's easy to make a seemingly-generous offer (not many people donates 50$ to OSS projects), while at the same time a middle-aged dev with responsibilities might find the offer unappealing in the best case . In the worst case it might feel insulting, as if the author was addressing a 14 year old computer nerd.

I don't know a good solution to this. As said the intentions are good.
Yeah I totally get where you're coming from, but let's be real. Someone writing a free plugin isn't charging $100/hour.

I just threw it out there because in its current state, it's not really useful to me. I get that he's doing it for free, and I really appreciate it, but it still is what it is. I'm not asking that he fix these specifically for me, but if he's working on things and wants to add features, that's what I would donate. I don't want to point out that I could spend $50 right now and get ToneBoosters which has those features and more, and the fact that it has significantly lower CPU usage makes it a no brainer.

But like I said, I chatted with him in one of the FB groups last year and appreciated the fact that he replied and engaged in conversation. Not meaning to be argumentative here, just throwing out the other side of the coin. Thanks for the reply.
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:12 AM   #857
rafa1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg View Post
Yeah I totally get where you're coming from, but let's be real. Someone writing a free plugin isn't charging $100/hour.
Some of the devs writing free plugins are people wanting to code something fun, as a way to escape their lucrative, soul-sucking, corporate development jobs/gigs.

Being an audio dev, as a game dev, is one of the Dev branches that pays less because those things are fun and rewarding to develop for someone that likes coding. Many devs avoid working on those branches. Solving problems that you don't care about for a corporation is often more lucrative and less demanding.

Think that an unqualified worker, e.g. a plumber, charges on the US north of 50$/hour. I was actually lowballing the hourly rate of a software contractor because things vary from country to country.

Anyways, we are on the same page. As said, I never had any doubt that the intentions were good. We both understand both sides. I have been making feature requests for OSS software too.

Last edited by rafa1981; 06-18-2021 at 10:55 PM.
rafa1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #858
Getstew

M1/Apple Silicon optimized?

Thanks!
Getstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:29 PM   #859
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getstew View Post
M1/Apple Silicon optimized?
It's a JS plugin. Reaper compiles them at runtime to whatever OS you're using. If someone writes a JS plugin in Windows, it'll work in Reaper for Linux, Mac, ARM, all of it.

If there's any optimization to be done for JS plugins on M1, it's probably going to be the responsibility of Reaper for M1 (ARM) and not for any JS plugins themselves.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:48 PM   #860
Getstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
It's a JS plugin. Reaper compiles them at runtime to whatever OS you're using. If someone writes a JS plugin in Windows, it'll work in Reaper for Linux, Mac, ARM, all of it.

If there's any optimization to be done for JS plugins on M1, it's probably going to be the responsibility of Reaper for M1 (ARM) and not for any JS plugins themselves.
Ah! I learned a thing today. Thanks!
Getstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:53 AM   #861
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg View Post
We chatted a bit in one of the FB groups a while back. I'll buy/donate $50 if you can get these two items fixed:

1) bands randomly bypass themselves. I haven't been able to narrow down a cause. It just seems to happen at inopportune times (maybe it's become self aware?)

2) Let me type in some numbers for values.

Seriously, I would change all of my EQs over to ReEQ if these two items were there. Thanks for reading!
I'd definitely be up for fixing (1) if you could provide a step by step test case to reproduce it. I've not seen it before. Half the problem with these kind of things is reproducing them.

With regards to (2)... Ideally there'd be support for opening up a text entry line that handled keyboard focus properly. Unfortunately there isn't. So the workaround is to program a key entry window by hand in the JSFX and I got some way towards doing that.

The problem then comes because entering keys (such as space bar) directly passes them through to the main Reaper DAW event loop which causes all sorts of issues. There's a flag in the JSFX config to let the JSFX completely own keyboard focus but this has unintended workflow consequences too. You have to click away from the JSFX window for any key presses to be acknowledged by the Reaper DAW event loop.

The ideal would be to have that flag set programmatically rather than once for the whole JSFX. Then the keyboard focus could be grabbed only in the text entry window. Or even better, for the Reaper devs to provide a simple text entry window as part of the JSFX natively.

In response to something else you wrote....I originally wrote ReEQ as a test to see if it was possible to write a better EQ in JSFX than the stock one that came with Reaper and other DAWs. I think I achieved that.

The donation thing was set up just because somebody wanted to buy me a beer. It's appreciated though.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:12 PM   #862
timothys_monster

What about the code from Geraint's JSFX... AFAIR there was a way to type in values in his effects.

https://geraintluff.github.io/jsfx/
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #863
Reaper-user

Default Reeq not working in new pc - NOW SOLVED

Hi there,
I am trying to use ReeQ on my new Win 10 setup. It loads and show the analyser but it won't let me add any points when double-clicking. Also it does not show the panel.

it can only be used as a Analyser. Running Reaper 6.30. Can someone help? Thanks.

-------------------- S O L V E D!!!----------------------

Sorry I referred above as double-clicking when I was actually double tapping on the trackpad and it wouldn't do anything, DOUBLE CLICKING solved the issue.

the strange thing is that ReaEQ works when double tapping with my fingertip.

Last edited by Reaper-user; 07-04-2021 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Solved the problem.
Reaper-user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #864
Rodulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper-user View Post
Hi there,
I am trying to use ReeQ on my new Win 10 setup. It loads and show the analyser but it won't let me add any points when double-clicking. Also it does not show the panel.

it can only be used as a Analyser. Running Reaper 6.30. Can someone help? Thanks.
Just tested it, running fine on my Win 10 system.
Rodulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #865
RoadRanger

Is there a way to type in numbers for the parameters in REEQ? Most plugins allow that somehow but I've been unable to find out how in REEQ. Yeah, it's not really necessary but I get OCD about not being able to set something at exactly 6.0 dB LOL.
RoadRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:49 PM   #866
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
Is there a way to type in numbers for the parameters in REEQ? Most plugins allow that somehow but I've been unable to find out how in REEQ. Yeah, it's not really necessary but I get OCD about not being able to set something at exactly 6.0 dB LOL.
Read 4 posts up from your post. :-/
Old 08-10-2021, 03:27 AM   #867
BartR

@Schwa is there any chance to have this feature please? The fature described into #861 n.2
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #868
RoadRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Read 4 posts up from your post. :-/
Oops. Other than that, REEQ really whips the Llama's ass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JntDcqOxMsM
RoadRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #869
maxcomposer

Default ReEQ bug while sidechain

Hi!

The video is below. It is showing the bug. Mainly, while another cue is being sidechained, it's not possible to use the gain of a another cue. It causes glitches that brings the gain on the wheel to zero.

I've put the video on this Google Drive link :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13dg...ew?usp=sharing

Thank you!
maxcomposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:20 AM   #870
flowheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonalstates View Post
Hey! I found this bug with parameter modulation trying to make Dan Worrall's emphasis and de-emphasis technique, it's supposed to be negative values on the gain knob but it just doesn't

https://imgur.com/a/NumgTe1

Here's the video for reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Gs-o39C5o
I just discovered the same problem.

There seems to be a scaling issue when linking the master gain of one Reeq instance to the same parameter of another instance on the same channel.

Please check the reference vid if you're unsure of what we're banging on about.

There is no fixed offset or scale value that I can set which corrects for this.

Linking individual band parameters (Gain, Frequency, Q, Bypass, etc) seems to work fine.

Upon further investigation, it seems that there are other functional glitches using ReEQ in this capacity. Audio for the channel in question is sometimes interrupted when disabling and re-enabling effects, necessitating a transport stop/start to resume output.

Last edited by flowheimer; 09-08-2021 at 10:44 AM.
flowheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #871
Akashic Bird

Thank you so much for this plugin.
Just one question : is it possible to add a way to type the values on top of moving the knobs?
Maybe it's there, if so, I missed it...
Akashic Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #872
Reflected

it could be improved by adding an option to name bands
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #873
wave

Hi Nitsuj,

Just wanted to chime in and say thank you for ReEQ and ReSpectrum. This is amazing work and it's impressive to see how much things can be done in a JSFX script. I particularly like the Butterworth curves in ReEQ, which many commercial EQs don't even offer.
wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:20 PM   #874
Pinknoise

Can we select multiple nodes ?
I don't know how...
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:34 AM   #875
nitsuj

Just wanted to say that I'm checking in here from time to time to keep track of suggestions and bugs. I've still got several changes in different branches and will still be working on ReEQ as time permits.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #876
Stanislau Babrou

Please tell me why I can't save the changed equalizer size? It opens in default size every time
Stanislau Babrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:22 PM   #877
mephius

Just in case anyone besides me needed it.

I modified ReEQ to mimic aixdsp DrumEQ concept (https://aixdsp.com/drumeq/). The idea is: while eq-ing drums one usually uses bands at octave multipliers of drum fundamental frequency.

So, this modified ReEQ has a base frequency knob and 8 pre-initialized eq bands octave interval away from each other. The workflow is the following: use Base Frequency knob to tune band #1 to fundamental frequency of a drum (all bands will move to maintain octave intervals), cut and boost to taste. This speeds up drum eq workflow (for me at least).

I made it as a separate jsfx plugin (ReDrumEQ), which relies on ReEQ components (from software development standpoint it is a dirty copy/paste/modify approach, but re-organizing ReEQ code to make derivatives code look pretty is just too much work ). To install, unzip attached file to the same folder where you installed ReEQ (next to ReEQ.jsfx basically).

Thank you Justin for all the time you invested in ReEQ!
Attached Files
File Type: zip ReDrumEQ.jsfx.zip (30.2 KB, 133 views)
mephius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:17 AM   #878
flechtwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
Just wanted to say that I'm checking in here from time to time to keep track of suggestions and bugs. I've still got several changes in different branches and will still be working on ReEQ as time permits.
That's wonderful to know, thanks for your amazing work!
flechtwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #879
tonalstates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephius View Post
Just in case anyone besides me needed it.

I modified ReEQ to mimic aixdsp DrumEQ concept (https://aixdsp.com/drumeq/). The idea is: while eq-ing drums one usually uses bands at octave multipliers of drum fundamental frequency.
Cool! will def try it on my next drum mix, thanks! One thing though, is there a way to add the note frecuency under the base frequency knob? next or under the frequency, maybe. It's a hazzle to want to tune it all but having to go for a point just to see the note it's at, turn the knob, check again, missed, again and so on. thanks!
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:09 PM   #880
mephius

Here's the version with note display (and cents bias).
Attached Files
File Type: zip ReDrumEQ.zip (30.4 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by mephius; 10-20-2021 at 12:17 PM.
mephius is offline   Reply With Quote