Old 08-07-2020, 02:00 AM   #1
martmix
Human being with feelings

Default bass guitar

hi all

yesterday i recorded a bass guitar-track(direct in the souncard),i did experiment with the volume,tone..
of my bass guitar (i end up lower the volume of the bass guitar)

from there i record it,& i notice that the bass-guitar sit in the mix way more easy...

just to share

martin
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:07 AM   #2
domzy

way more easy than what? easier than if you hadn't sorted out your tone & input level first?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:15 AM   #3
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
way more easy than what? easier than if you hadn't sorted out your tone & input level first?
i mean less EQ adjustement
Old 08-10-2020, 12:19 AM   #4
ivansc

By any chance, is the instrument a fender precision or similar? If not, are the pickups active or passive?

I tend to record either of my two basses (a fender P bass & an active epiphone prototype) with volume flat out & do the tweaking with the tone control.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:58 AM   #5
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
By any chance, is the instrument a fender precision or similar? If not, are the pickups active or passive?

I tend to record either of my two basses (a fender P bass & an active epiphone prototype) with volume flat out & do the tweaking with the tone control.
a fender jaguar, thank you ivansc
Old 08-10-2020, 05:19 AM   #6
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
two basses (a fender P bass & an active epiphone prototype)
I'm hijacking this thread in the hope of learning something. The Fender, I'm somewhat familiar with. Epiphone guitars, I'm somewhat familiar with. I know you know what you know (I'm a little surprised that you have only two basses, TBH). Can you share a few words about the Epiphone bass? I guess my question is, why that bass?
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:33 AM   #7
Beat Machine

Default old school

record the sound you want

amazing
Beat Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
I'm hijacking this thread in the hope of learning something. The Fender, I'm somewhat familiar with. Epiphone guitars, I'm somewhat familiar with. I know you know what you know (I'm a little surprised that you have only two basses, TBH). Can you share a few words about the Epiphone bass? I guess my question is, why that bass?
#A bit irrelevant. When I lived in Nashville I got to know a lot of the guys who worked at Gibson`s factory & almost went to work on their help desk at one stage. Long story short, I had sold everything I had instrument-wise apart from my 1980 Tokai Springy Sound & my 1967 Fender Tele before leaving the UK. I was offered a gig playing bass for a band locally & was wondering how the hell I could afford to get a bass & an amp.
Hartley peavey had started doing his "giving stuff to anyone who might wind up on TV" thing & I scored a Peavey Combo 300 amp, then I got offered a prototype of a new model bass that Gibson were working on, made in Japan by whoever did Epiphone back then, since that factory made a lot of the prototypes, even some that would wind up being produced as real Gibsons. This one had an Explorer shaped body with a bolt on Fneder style neck and an Epiphone labelled four in line headstock. The kicker for me was that it also had a split Precision style pickup & controls. I was given it in 1982 & within a few weeks had bought one of the first EMG active P/J setups & had them fitted. I played that bass for decades on the road & of course in The Beat Poets, my band in Nashville. It has a groove worn in the front of the body where I rested my thumb for all those years & it still sounds great. Mind you I think I will be retiring it soon. Forgot to add that I also have an EUB by Bassix called a Jazza which is also a non-standard one! Oh nd did I mention the Starforce USA Banana yellow and crackly gold finish P/J bass? Made in Korea in the early eighties I believe. Phew! Well you did ask...
Old 08-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #9
Fex

Thank you.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:24 PM   #10
Lophophora

I personally found that using a quality DI box in between the bass and the AI made a significant improvement to the bass guitar tone (Yamaha and Fender Jazz).
Lophophora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:45 AM   #11
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lophophora View Post
I personally found that using a quality DI box in between the bass and the AI made a significant improvement to the bass guitar tone (Yamaha and Fender Jazz).
thanks Lophophora
Old 08-16-2020, 07:14 AM   #12
drummerboy

Anyone tried the Rupert Neve RNDI?
It can go either between Bass and Amp or directly to the Speaker-Output of your amp(!).
I adore that thing, sounds really good!

Best,
Frank
drummerboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:32 AM   #13
Beat Machine

Default fwiw

try an outboard compressor b4 the a/d input

bass looses 'punch' without an amp
Beat Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #14
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
Anyone tried the Rupert Neve RNDI?
It can go either between Bass and Amp or directly to the Speaker-Output of your amp(!).
I adore that thing, sounds really good!

Best,
Frank
tkx Frank
Old 08-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #15
ashcat_lt

Most passive DIs will take a speaker level input. That’s kinda why they usually have pad switches. They probably won’t have quite such fancy transformers or Neve designed preamp built in...

BTW your amp would probably prefer if you took the parallel thru jack to the speaker too. Especially tube amps really need a pretty significant load (low impedance) to keep from killing themselves.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote