Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-09-2020, 08:34 AM   #1
michi.333
Human being with feelings

Default Editing band rehearsal with lot of talking between the songs (is there an easy way?)

Hello,

Let's assume I have recorded a multi-track band rehearsal (drums, guitar, bass, vocals ...) and want to clean up the project a bit after the recording. I just want the actual songs. The talking, tuning and so on between the songs should be deleted. The disadvantage is, that the passages are often not so quiet so that I could work with "dynamic split items" and simply delete the quiet parts. The recording also contains bad takes. Currently I do it like this:
I look for the beginning and the end of the first song, mark it with a time selection, split all items and insert a region from that time selection. When I did that manually for all songs, I finally pull each region to the beginning of the project and the whole garbage remains at the end of the project, which I then can mark and delete.
It would already help, if I had a shortcut with which I can automatically move all regions to the start of the project and don´t have to do this manually.
Can you think of a simple solution, or do I have to go the hard way?

Thanks,
Mcihi

Last edited by michi.333; 08-09-2020 at 09:08 AM.
michi.333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
Fex

There is probably an easier way than the following using custom actions, but what I would do is place a gate (Reagate would do) on every track. Provided that the beginning of each take is substantially louder than the talking, tuning and so on, you shouldn't need to be too particular about placing the threshold. Render the tracks, and then "dynamic split items" and simply delete the silent parts. You'd have to remove interrupted takes manually, but many will be obviously shorter than completed takes.

Or, you could go all James Brown on those noisy feckers, and impose financial penalties for inordinate clamorousness. Violence might work, too.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
bolgwrad

The way I fell into doing this (Editing rehearsals into song sets) was to time-select sections you don't want, then (Shift+R here) convert them to regions. Go along converting all the unwanted bits into regions.

With ripple-edit (all tracks) on, you double-click a region header to time-select it, then press Crtl+Shift+X (Cut selection) - ripple-edit will close the gap and the region will be deleted.

Obv, you can skip the region conversion part. Don't forget to turn ripple edit off.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Obv, you can skip the region conversion part.
But if you don't skip the region conversion part, the rest of bolgwrad's solution is exactly the sort of thing that lends itself to a custom action, which can be triggered from a single keystroke.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
jrk

I'd do something like bolgwrad's solution:

Place a project marker at the start and end of each good bit.

Then: "SWS: Convert markers to regions"

Then double click on each unwanted region (to make a time sel) and do
"Time selection: Remove contents of time selection (moving later items)"

Would that work for you? Shouldn't take too long.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #6
michi.333

This works perfectly! Thank you! I'll play around with it and put together the right shortcuts and then it shouldn't be a problem anymore! Great!!
Old 08-10-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by michi.333 View Post
Hello,

Let's assume I have recorded a multi-track band rehearsal (drums, guitar, bass, vocals ...) and want to clean up the project a bit after the recording. I just want the actual songs. The talking, tuning and so on between the songs should be deleted. The disadvantage is, that the passages are often not so quiet so that I could work with "dynamic split items" and simply delete the quiet parts. The recording also contains bad takes. Currently I do it like this:
I look for the beginning and the end of the first song, mark it with a time selection, split all items and insert a region from that time selection. When I did that manually for all songs, I finally pull each region to the beginning of the project and the whole garbage remains at the end of the project, which I then can mark and delete.
It would already help, if I had a shortcut with which I can automatically move all regions to the start of the project and don´t have to do this manually.
Can you think of a simple solution, or do I have to go the hard way?

Thanks,
Mcihi
I keep this very simple.

The in-between sections are visually apparent. Not digital zero silence obviously but very apparent none the less.
Time selection on a dead air section. (left-click+drag)
Delete it! (⌘-delete shortcut)
Repeat as needed.
Glue/render the result.

Takes seconds.

FYI, flac makes zero level audio use nearly zero space. Low level audio accordingly is still small size after flac compression. If you're feeling lazy, just flac the whole thing and you'll still save hard drive space.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
ashcat_lt

Just want to mention that when you make regions, you don’t actually have to split the items manually. Moving the region will accomplish that automatically.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I keep this very simple.
I thought the OP wanted to end up with regions defined? Maybe not. Whatever.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:32 AM   #10
michi.333

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
I thought the OP wanted to end up with regions defined? ....
Exactly, regions have the advantage for me that I can label them with the song titles and then render the project regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Just want to mention that when you make regions, you don’t actually have to split the items manually. Moving the region will accomplish that automatically.
Yes, I also found that out after jrk's statement. Of course, that makes things easier because I don't have to split beforehand. I have never moved regions before and so i didn't notice it.