I love you REAPER!

...that is all.

Support my feature request!
Dafarkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
Held
Human being with feelings

I do too. It's awesome and I can afford it. ❤️

(But I just bought it, so I'm probably still in the honeymoon phase).
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
nait

I am a fan, as well. I haven't owned in long, but the longer I work with it, the more I enjoy it. I'm still in the massive-learning-curve phase. The more I get used to doing things in Reaper, the more I'll enjoy the software. And damn.. $60.. that doesn't even get you most competitors' watered down app.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:13 AM   #4
ivansc

Over the years, Cockos have had a massive $150 out of me, but that is in about 10 years!! Not a bad value.

Yes with the passage of time my relationship with Reaper has changed in many areas, but overall it is STILL by far and away the best DAW I have ever used. Not the best sequencer, but....
Old 11-07-2019, 03:52 AM   #5
Dafarkias

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
to be honest, reaper is not THAT cheap, for example FL you buy once for 200$ and you're done, while in reaper you'll be paying 60$ for every 2 versions, and for 200$ in FL you get a lot of stuff, that reaper probably will never have, so every daw has it's strong and weak sides, but i don't mind to pay for reaper even more than 60$, because it's definitely worth it!
Yes, but if FL has 200 of your dollars, and all you have is their software, who really is getting the upperhand?

Got 'eem!

...jk

Old 11-07-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
to be honest, reaper is not THAT cheap, for example FL you buy once for 200$ and you're done, while in reaper you'll be paying 60$ for every 2 versions, and for 200$ in FL you get a lot of stuff, that reaper probably will never have, so every daw has it's strong and weak sides, but i don't mind to pay for reaper even more than 60$, because it's definitely worth it!
You'd have every version of Reaper to date for a bit less than the price of FL Studio though, plus the next one, which won't be out for a while (apparently) and should last for several years. I'd say Fruity is also good value too, however. Comparing those to the big ones like Cubase, Ableton, Pro Tools, Logic, etc. is where Reaper (and even FL) stands out.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
Dafarkias

I will say the thing that stood out to me about REAPER the most--once I got past the horrific-looking GUI--was the moment in which I realized that you can automate almost anything.

I'm no connoisseur of DAWs, but most of the ones I had used up until REAPER had little-to-no automation capabilities.

Of course, when I'm referring to 'automation' here, I'm talking about operations such as batch processing, action automation, etc..

In short, I think it's pretty mind blowing that a DAW exists where you can create a script that monitors your actions/edits, and can react (a.k.a. 'trigger'), and cause other events/actions to occur.

It's a bucket of nuts!

Old 11-08-2019, 01:19 AM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
You'd have every version of Reaper to date for a bit less than the price of FL Studio though, plus the next one, which won't be out for a while (apparently) and should last for several years. I'd say Fruity is also good value too, however. Comparing those to the big ones like Cubase, Ableton, Pro Tools, Logic, etc. is where Reaper (and even FL) stands out.
Actually, my first reaper version was only $40! Next was $50, hence the $150 in my earlier post. Such a deal...

Seems like we have been on version 5 for ever. Not that I am complaining or anything...
Old 11-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #9
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Actually, my first reaper version was only $40! Next was $50, hence the $150 in my earlier post. Such a deal...

Seems like we have been on version 5 for ever. Not that I am complaining or anything...
Oh, even better then. I didn't jump on the Reaper bandwagon until very recently. I had no idea it was only 40 before. But yeah, great value. Did you start with version 1 or 2 then?
Old 11-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
Tomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
I'm probably still in the honeymoon phase
for me, nah. It's a new surprise around every corner, even as a user since before version 1, new features, scripts, workflows, and enthusiastic folks from other DAWs refreshes the love I have for REAPER, it's devs, and the community.
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #11
n997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafarkias View Post
In short, I think it's pretty mind blowing that a DAW exists where you can create a script that monitors your actions/edits, and can react (a.k.a. 'trigger'), and cause other events/actions to occur.
+1

Reaper is comparable to Photoshop (and some 3D and game engine packages) in its scriptability. Unless other DAWs implement similar functionality, Reaper might well become a standard of a kind, even more than it already is.

AFAIK Live has scriptability in Max4Live, but to me Reaper seems easier and more "to-the-metal", so to speak.

As much as my musical workflow is originally artisan-like (could probably make do with Cubase on Atari if forced to) nowadays I feel much more confident having a scriptable DAW available.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #12
Dafarkias

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
...Reaper might well become a standard of a kind, even more than it already is.
To me one of the things I find beautiful about the REAP, is that it seems to embrace the ever-lovely principle that 'less' is indeed 'more'.

In its default state it seems to offer a relatively small number of features that other DAWs do not support, but yet it can be modded, extended, and scripted, opening up nearly countless avenues of possibilities that other DAWs simply do not offer.

In their current state these 'other DAWs' would probably be incapable of maintaining a business model of similar flexibility, seemingly, as their generated income seems to rely on the necessity to relinquish software support to their users within 1-2 years (unless otherwise incentivized, financially).

I think we can also agree that the REAPER team fixes more bugs, per dollar, than any other 'major' DAW on the market today.

Last edited by Dafarkias; 11-08-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:50 AM   #13
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Oh, even better then. I didn't jump on the Reaper bandwagon until very recently. I had no idea it was only 40 before. But yeah, great value. Did you start with version 1 or 2 then?
I am pretty sure it was version 1.xx but don't remember exactly which.

I`ll admit I did struggle to adapt after years on Cakewalk Sonar but SO glad I jumped ship. Started playing with reaper while I still had Sonar, but at version 2.58 or was it 2.85 Sonar got so flaky I finally decided to make the switch permanent. Never regretted it, even after Sonar became free.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:11 AM   #14
mschnell

Quote:
... fixes more bugs, per dollar ...
This really viable metric should be taken account of in the industry a lot more !!!
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:20 AM   #15
bFooz

As good as functionality is in Reaper, that bad its usability is. I've found after those years that the bad usability is at the very core of Reaper and no theme, no new feature can change it unless that core is changed.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:30 AM   #16
Dafarkias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
I've found after those years that the bad usability is at the very core of Reaper and no theme, no new feature can change it unless that core is changed.
Which of course is the last thing that Justin wants to do. He's said so himself, I believe, or at least alluded to his detest of such major 'restructuring'.

I admit that usability can drastically affect workflow efficiency, but in my opinion, it's better to have a feature that is hard-to-find and/or difficult to use, rather than being non-existent (talking once again about REAPER vs. other DAWs).

Old 11-09-2019, 05:54 AM   #17
mschnell

Quote:
that bad its usability is. I've found ....
Yep. This obviously depends on the workflow you have in mind, and hence will apply for a certain group of users, and not for other groups of users. For some tasks you need a screw driver, for other a hammer is the better choice.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:00 AM   #18
jinotsuh

Quote:
As good as functionality is in Reaper, that bad its usability is. I've found after those years that the bad usability is at the very core of Reaper and no theme, no new feature can change it unless that core is changed.
Amen . . . spot on

Quote:
REAPER is the best
Why sure it is . . . um ok . . . yeah lol
jinotsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #19
S.L.I.P.

Once you set Reaper up the way you like it, and really start learning the program, the more joy it brings. I can't thank Justin enough!
S.L.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #20
Dafarkias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinotsuh View Post
Why sure it is . . . um ok . . . yeah lol
...I'm deeply humbled at how many sophisticated emotions my words caused jinotsuh to experience...

Praise be, to his infinite wisdom.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #21
Held

Quote:
I love the usability of Reaper. Maybe the defaults aren't super well thought out, but if you tweak it a little, it's sublime. The ring menu alone is so awesome once you run out of decent shortcuts. (Yes, it's an add-on, but that's what makes Reaper so great). Does any other DAW have this?

It's a little like the Emacs of DAWs. Either love it or hate it.
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #22
bob

I love 😍 it too. Over the years I've spent a massive 120 bucks and its enabled me to turn my obscure musical ideas into sound waves something I never thought would be possible
Old 11-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #23
Dafarkias

REAPER sucks.

Here's the master list when it comes to DAWs:

1. Audacity
2. Pro Tools
3. Wavosuar
4. GarageBand
5. Robinhood
6. Bambi
7. Ho-hos

Old 11-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #24
Glennbo

REAPER is the best Linux DAW on the planet. Almost every song on my music page was done in REAPER for Linux.

Some day it will come of of experimental status and gain the same prestige of the fully released Windows and Mac versions.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #25
Dafarkias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
REAPER is the best Linux DAW on the planet.
What Linux do you recommend for usage with REAPER? Do you have issues with using certain plugins?

Deep down, I want to become a Linux user one day..

Old 11-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #26
Tubeguy

To me Reaper has analogish feel to it, it is also extremely stable on my system. Love it.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #27
Not_Here

Reaper am Hugh.

I love how Reaper becomes each users (for those that allow it to grow with them) own personalized version. No matter the users needs, with a little effort and patience Reaper becomes that tool.

My first MIDI experience this last week or so, has been awesome. Controlling Reaper with the keyboard is a new concept for me. Between the Bestest Videos Ever - THANK YOU KENNY - and the community here, I have to say how easy and stress free (knock on wood) it has been.

Totally grateful I have Reaper. Price, Performance, Capabilities, and how it has inspired me to try new things (midi/keyboards), it has worked for me so well, I have no reason to go elsewhere.

Visually, with a little theme work and tweaks it's become my own. I love the way it looks and is laid out. Now when I look at some of the other DAW layouts and workflow/processes some seem like complete thrown together mixed up garbage, others look very well thought out and organized. Point is, I thinks it's knowing (just a bit of) Reaper that has enabled me to see all those differences.

Those that don't like it, no prob there either - see ya! I know where I'm staying.

Last edited by Not_Here; 11-10-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:42 AM   #28
Dafarkias

For me, it seems that 'visual consistency'is probably one of the most neglected aspects of REAPER, from J&S.

I understand that this is intentional, because they focus on functionality, and also the things they work on have to make sense to them (paraphrase).

But to a certain extent there is a time when visual consistency/formatting directly affects workflow efficiency. I really feel as if they need someone on their team solely dedicated to visual consistency.

They have White Tie, of course, but he has no access or ability to change the core programming of what theming can/cannot alter. Imo, that is a mistake. Since he is designing REAPER's v6 theme, he should be catered to, and any reasonable request should be accommodated (I'm sure most of them are/would be).

Old 11-11-2019, 01:02 AM   #29
strachupl

Quote:
I love you REAPER!

...that is all.

strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:12 AM   #30
Glennbo

Quote:
What Linux do you recommend for usage with REAPER? Do you have issues with using certain plugins?

Deep down, I want to become a Linux user one day..
I'm using Xubuntu, and run Kontakt, Superior Drummer, and other Windows instrument VSTi's with no problems. I have however replaced most of my audio plugins with native Linux plugins. Performance wise, it runs on a par with Windows.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #31
Dafarkias

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
How about that pianist's mustache though!? :P

Quote:
I'm using Xubuntu, and run Kontakt, Superior Drummer, and other Windows instrument VSTi's with no problems. I have however replaced most of my audio plugins with native Linux plugins. Performance wise, it runs on a par with Windows.
So funny story, after posting this the other day I got a wild hair and tried installing Ubuntu Studio to one of my secondary drives, and ended up wiping my primary.

!!!!

Thank Bejoozy for backups. I only lost minimal data.

Anyways, not to be a 'quitter,' I doubled down and tried again. Several hours later, opened REAPER up on my fresh install and began to listen to the sweet melodies of life surfing into my ear canals.

^^^^lol

Old 11-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #32
Glennbo

Quote:
So funny story, after posting this the other day I got a wild hair and tried installing Ubuntu Studio to one of my secondary drives, and ended up wiping my primary.

!!!!

Thank Bejoozy for backups. I only lost minimal data.

Anyways, not to be a 'quitter,' I doubled down and tried again. Several hours later, opened REAPER up on my fresh install and began to listen to the sweet melodies of life surfing into my ear canals.

^^^^lol
About a year ago I did a clean install of Windows 7 into a partition half the size of my SSD, then did a clean install of Xubuntu into the other partition.

My plan was to keep REAPER in Windows 7 but disable networking since support for Win7 ends January 2020, and to do everything internet related in Xubuntu. A month after setting this up Justin put up the native Linux version of REAPER and since then I've only fired up Windows a handful of times. It turns out I can do everything I was doing in Windows now, but I'm keeping it in an offline state like my original plan, but won't be using it for anything than to load old legacy projects now.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #33
Dafarkias

Quote:
About a year ago I did a clean install of Windows 7 into a partition half the size of my SSD, then did a clean install of Xubuntu into the other partition.
For me, I noticed two initial issues pretty much right out the gate...

1.) For some reason if I rearrange my dual monitors identically to my Windows 10 setup, I can't set my desired monitor as primary (weird, I know).

2.) I'll need to find a way to transfer my Windows 10 REAPER configuration over. It's probably pretty simple, I know there are already a few threads of similar topic.

I'm excited though to have it installed! No issues with any audio or graphic drivers that I noticed.

Are there mods or extensions you might recommend for either a Windows-style taskbar, or an OSX-style application docker?

Old 11-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #34
Glennbo

Quote:
For me, I noticed two initial issues pretty much right out the gate...

1.) For some reason if I rearrange my dual monitors identically to my Windows 10 setup, I can't set my desired monitor as primary (weird, I know).
The machine's bios has a pecking order of what it believes is the primary monitor and when I went dual monitors had to reassign the cabling because the boot up screen text was showing on my secondary screen. When I setup my dual boot DAW I had to switch the primary monitor in both Windows and Linux and IIRC I did it by dragging the larger primary to the left of the other monitor and clicking make primary. I'm using DVI on the primary and HDMI on the secondary.

Quote:
2.) I'll need to find a way to transfer my Windows 10 REAPER configuration over. It's probably pretty simple, I know there are already a few threads of similar topic.
I just hand copied themes, jsfx, and other stuff manually since I could see both the Windows partition and Linux partition at the same time. I figured why not start totally clean, and then address things as I encounter them. I'm sure I left a lot of unused baggage too, but running REAPER in Linux acts and feels identical on my system now, and I can boot back and forth between OSs to verify it.

As I mentioned in a previous post I have replaced pretty much all my staple audio plugins with Native Linux ones. There just aren't really any substitutes for things like Kontakt or Superior Drummer though so 3/4 of my VSTi instruments are still bridged Windows plugins.

Quote:
I'm excited though to have it installed! No issues with any audio or graphic drivers that I noticed.
I'm happy to report that my USB Class Compliant audio interface works great as do other things I plug in like my iPhone, my computer controlled telescope, an old Intel microscope, a brand new HP all-in-one printer/scanner, and so on.

Quote:
Are there mods or extensions you might recommend for either a Windows-style taskbar, or an OSX-style application docker?
Not really. I'm using the stock xfce desktop. I did at one point move the taskbar to the bottom of the screen so it was like Windows, but later thought "why do I want to make this be Windows" and moved it back. I've assigned quite a few shortcut keys though through the keyboard management screen, and did clone some things like Ctrl|Shift|Esc to bring up the task manager like Windows does, plus launching tasks like Ctrl|Alt|P brings up Kontakt with a grand piano sample ready to play.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:50 PM   #35
Dafarkias

I suppose I didn't explain myself well :P

When I align my monitors how I usually have them set up in Windows (laptop on left as secondary, external monitor on right as primary), I can't change my external monitor to be primary.

Physically I can click the button, for some reason, Ubuntu didn't change the taskbar or anything else over to my external monitor...

I'll probably do some googling about it when I get a sec.

Regarding what you said about plugins, I completely resonate with that. I feel as if most my plugins I can live without, but Kontakt would be irreplaceable.

I know this subject is beat-to-death in the Linux forum, but would you mind pointing me towards the most pain free solution to install Kontakt, in your opinion?

Old 11-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #36
Glennbo

Quote:
I suppose I didn't explain myself well :P

When I align my monitors how I usually have them set up in Windows (laptop on left as secondary, external monitor on right as primary), I can't change my external monitor to be primary.

Physically I can click the button, for some reason, Ubuntu didn't change the taskbar or anything else over to my external monitor...

I'll probably do some googling about it when I get a sec.

Regarding what you said about plugins, I completely resonate with that. I feel as if most my plugins I can live without, but Kontakt would be irreplaceable.
I've only done dual monitors with my desktop, but there's prolly a way to do it with your setup, and there are some pretty decent native Linux plugins out there. I recently bought U-he's Presswerk which is available for all platforms including Linux and I like it better than the PSP Vintage Warmer I bought it to replace.

Quote:
I know this subject is beat-to-death in the Linux forum, but would you mind pointing me towards the most pain free solution to install Kontakt, in your opinion?
This will probably get you there. You should be using wine-staging and then will need to mount the iso image using an unhide option because the iso image is a hybrid Win/Mac thing and wine will stop seeing the Windows part of the mounted image during the install. The unhide option mounts it so that doesn't happen.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ghlight=unhide
Old 11-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #37
Dafarkias

Progress!

Discovered that my 'primary' window issue was nothing more than Ubuntu deciding not to reassign the panel (aka 'taskbar', in Windows speak) to my new primary window! All I had to do was manually reassign! (It took me an hour to figure that out lol)

Baby steps.

Next tasks:

-Familiarizing myself with system backup images

-Configuring my REAPER just the way I like it :P

-Testing/worrying whether or not some of my Windows audio plugins will work and/or provide reliable performance