Old 10-21-2022, 04:39 PM   #1
icarusi
Human being with feelings

Default live mixdown of looped multitracks

I did a 'live' mixdown of some looped multitrack stuff vs rendering it. Doing it live to a new track meant I could quickly ride the track's mute and solo buttons. There were odd glitchy bits, but it came out pretty well. The biggest problem was avoiding accidently hitting the mute button on the mixdown track, which mutes the whole mix. I tried locking that track but 'lock' disables the record arm button. A workaround will be to insert a locked dummy track before the mixdown track to create a visual barrier, but allowing locking of tracks with the record button armed would be better. The 3 mixes are here:- https://youtu.be/2LBAgBLIF_s the 1st is the closest to ok, but there are some good bits in the other 2 mixes. Because the mixdown track presents as multiple 'takes' corresponding to each time the multitrack loops (which need the 'explode in order' command to expand), it's fairly easy to swap individual 'take' sections from different mixdowns to make a composite mix if you have enough which sound ok.
icarusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:45 AM   #2
icarusi

Just a note that on the mixdown track, 'record input' should be set to 'none', right-click on the same bar panel and check 'record: output'. You can select to add sends from each individual track by left-click 'i/o', or add all the receives from those tracks in the i/o page of the mixdown track.
icarusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:43 PM   #3
TonE

It seems you do not need any writing of automations while live mixing? This is the whole point of live mixing for me, doing all live, using human feel, running in the time, but all actions are written, so could in theory be optimized, changed, if you want. Recording all in a loop would always overwrite previous automation, afaik.

It would be cool if I could record all, includuing automations, in a loop, infinitely, let us say for 15 minutes, inside an 8 bar loop for example. After finishing the 15 minute performance, having the ability to expand the whole recording linearly, in timeline. It would be like a compressed / looped recording of all live manipulations. As is done for the items as new take lanes. Does same happen with automations?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 02:18 PM   #4
serr

Just throwing this out there. Maybe the computer can still aid the live workflow.

You could record automation during your "live" pass. That would allow you to edit after the fact while preserving all the good parts. Or you could duplicate the track(s) or bus with the automation and then mute the 1st one. Now record another. Record takes of automation passes like that.

That leaves you with the live mix performance recorded but still referencing the source tracks and thus editable. The idea is that none of this should get in the way. You can still call a single recorded mix pass done and move on.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 05:51 AM   #5
TonE

Created this some time ago for performing scenes, saving as a new project file, increasing project number. Those are the numbered "scenes" of current time selection you can imagine. Have fun friends.

PHP Code:
--[[
@
description TonE perform scene
@author TonE
The idea of this script is creating your chorus 
or loop1bar or 8bars, as full as you likethen in one click copying into arrangement so you can perform on your hardware controllersgenerating a feeling based flowin real-timeNot using mouse and clicks in arrangeno copy paste thereThis the computer did already for us fullyWe want to add the feeling side. While playing the whole thing perform to your desireMuteunmutefade outfade inmomentary toggle your crazy real-time fx. Use boreg's fantastic switchable MIDI transpose jsfx, for real-time transposing your sequences on the fly. I am using four of those per track with the octave settings -2, -1, +1, +2. You never know which sound can sound coolest on which octave. Midi-map its internal bypass parameter to four momentary buttons. Beat-repeat, delay, reverb, chorus and what not. Have fun friends. Reaper as a feeling machine. 
--]]

local no_undo = false
pluginName = "Perform Scene"

function main()
    reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()
    local last_act = reaper.Undo_CanUndo2(0)

reaper.Main_OnCommand(41895, 0) -- File: Save new version of project (automatically increment project name)
    reaper.Main_OnCommand(40049, 0) -- Time selection: Crop project to time selection
    reaper.Main_OnCommand(40043, 0) -- Transport: Go to end of project
    reaper.Main_OnCommand(40296, 0) -- Track: Select all tracks
    reaper.Main_OnCommand(40881, 0) -- Global automation override: All automation in latch mode
    reaper.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_RS046c3a9a2e621a1ea58e6aac40b563161ccf67bd"), 0) -- Script: js_Area selection - Duplicate items and automation in time selection of selected tracks to edit cursor.lua

local repeats = 64  -- making 64 bars from 1bar time selection
    for i = 1, repeats do
       reaper.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_RS046c3a9a2e621a1ea58e6aac40b563161ccf67bd"), 0) -- Script: js_Area selection - Duplicate items and automation in time selection of selected tracks to edit cursor.lua
    end

reaper.Undo_EndBlock("Yeah, now".." "..pluginName, 0)
end

reaper.PreventUIRefresh(1)
main()
reaper.PreventUIRefresh(-1)
reaper.UpdateArrange()
if no_undo then reaper.defer(function() end) end  -- Prevent undo if necessary 
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 11:44 AM   #6
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusi View Post
Because the mixdown track presents as multiple 'takes' corresponding to each time the multitrack loops (which need the 'explode in order' command to expand)...
You should be able to drag that item out to the right and find the full performance from the start on the first take. Subsequent takes will be offset by the original loop duration. You can then split it and swap takes whenever you want, rather than the explode option where you’d be slippin the ends around. Not saying it’s better, but it’s an option some might prefer for one reason or another.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote