Old 10-12-2021, 10:08 PM   #1
jonmoi
Human being with feelings

Default Master Track Effects

Hi All

Can anyone help?

I am wanting to add an EQ to the left channel and right channel of the Master, but separately.

In other words with different settings on each of the two EQs so that the left and right channels will have will sound slightly different

I am wanting to mimic my hearing aid settings............mainly so that if I take my hearing aids off I will still get a pretty good approximation of what I hear when wearing them

Anyway, I want an EQ on each of the 2 output channels...........how? Hope someone can assist

Regards

Jon
jonmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:52 AM   #2
beingmf

Separate channels: use the pin matrix on top of the plugin window and tick 1>1 for the first and 2>2 for the second EQ.

But most of all: don't put them in the matter fx chain, but in the monitor fx!
Old 10-13-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Separate channels: use the pin matrix on top of the plugin window and tick 1>1 for the first and 2>2 for the second EQ.

But most of all: don't put them in the matter fx chain, but in the monitor fx!
Yeah, it will take 2 EQs, but like beingmf says, make sure it's in the "Monitor FX".
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:46 PM   #4
jonmoi

Thank you beingmf and Tod for your very prompt replies

I am struggling tho with the Monitor fx bit

It took me a while to locate the pin matrix

But the Monitor fx chain and Matter fx chain I have not a clue I do hope you can help some more

Regards

Jon
Old 10-14-2021, 12:31 AM   #5
beingmf

The monitor chain only affects what you hear through your monitors/headphones, it's post-master.
If you put the EQs in the master chain, they will be rendered and thus change the sound of your mix.
(Of course the scenario is different if you are the only person listening to the mix ever, but that's highly unlikely)
Old 10-14-2021, 05:29 AM   #6
jonmoi

Default Master Effects

Thanks again beingmf

Just so that I can get out of your hair can you tell me exactly how to put the effect into
the Monitor chain

Regards

Jon
Old 10-14-2021, 07:48 AM   #7
Alistair S

Either:

Click top right of the screen (just below your audio interface settings/info) - it's small, but there is a but there is a button for Monitor FX

OR ...

In the View Menu, click on "Monitoring FX"
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #8
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair S View Post
Either:

Click top right of the screen (just below your audio interface settings/info) - it's small, but there is a but there is a button for Monitor FX

OR ...

In the View Menu, click on "Monitoring FX"
This ^ I think it might be only visible if there's at least 2 tabs open *or* there's plugins in the chain. But the action list command will get you there no matter what.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #9
jonmoi

Hi beingmf and Alistair S

I see the option in the 'View' menu. However it seems to me that by adding an fx there it will put all examples of that plugin on any track in the Monitoring fx whereas I am only interested in the effect put on the Master Track

I am thinking that your first suggestion using the pin matrix of 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 might be best as long as I disable the two plugins prior to rendering. Will I need to change the pin Matrix back to 1 to 1 prior to rendering

What do you think or will I still hear stereo with the 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 setting

Regards

Jon
Old 10-14-2021, 11:46 PM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmoi View Post

I see the option in the 'View' menu. However it seems to me that by adding an fx there it will put all examples of that plugin on any track in the Monitoring fx whereas I am only interested in the effect put on the Master Track

I am thinking that your first suggestion using the pin matrix of 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 might be best as long as I disable the two plugins prior to rendering. Will I need to change the pin Matrix back to 1 to 1 prior to rendering

What do you think or will I still hear stereo with the 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 setting

Regards Jon
Hi Jon, I find it hard to understand why you want this on the Master instead of the Monitor FX unless you want to Render files with it? Is that the case?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:49 AM   #11
beingmf

Quote:
as long as I disable the two plugins prior to rendering.
You wouldn't have to do this when you use the Monitor FX chain
Old 10-15-2021, 03:42 AM   #12
Alistair S

Quote:

As others are saying, Monitor FX simply sits between your Master and your interface.

Anything there will affect what you hear through your monitors but will have no effect on what you render (whereas the same plugin on your Master will affect what is rendered).

It's the ideal place to put room correction, metering, etc. (and the EQ you want to use to mimic your hearing aid). It will also apply to every project (though you can turn it off with one click if you want to).
Old 10-15-2021, 05:28 AM   #13
jonmoi

Hi Tod. beingmf and Alistair

I think I am beginning to see some light.............I hope.

The EQ in question is the Waves Q10. I have set it up to have a preset for my left and right ears which are just slightly different (Lacking treble response). Usually I wear my hearing aids but I want an alternative to them and that is why I created the 2 presets. I only use them when mixing tracks or modifying my guitar tone.

So, have I understood correctly that if, under the 'View' option, I click on monitoring effects and add the Waves Q10 that it won't have any effect on a Waves Q10 which is added to a normal track. It will only affect the Waves Q10 which I have inserted on the Master track

If so, we're sweet.......I just did not realize that the Monitoring effects sat between the Master out and the sound card and have no effect on the rendered sound

Am I there yet

Regards

Jon
Old 10-15-2021, 06:18 AM   #14
Alistair S

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

The EQ on a track will change the output of that track.

All of the tracks go via the master (which will play back the already changed sound).

An additional EQ on the master will change the sound going through the master.

The master is played out via your monitors/headphones.

If you want, you can add an additional layer to affect what comes out of your monitors/headphones as "monitor fx".

These FX will change what you hear - but will not change what you render (i.e. will not affect the master track directly). They are only for monitoring.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #15
beingmf

Quote:
Am I there yet
Yes![5 character limit]
Old 10-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #16
jonmoi

Default MASTER TRACK EFFECTS

I THANK YOU ALL, beingmf, Alastair S AND TOD

I'VE LEARNED HEAPS FROM YOU ALL

AGAIN, THANKS SO MUCH

REGARDS

JON

Last edited by jonmoi; 10-15-2021 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to type last bit
Old 11-13-2022, 11:14 PM   #17
jonmoi

Default Monitoring Effects

Quote:
Hi All

Can anyone help?

I am wanting to add an EQ to the left channel and right channel of the Master, but separately.

In other words with different settings on each of the two EQs so that the left and right channels will have will sound slightly different

I am wanting to mimic my hearing aid settings............mainly so that if I take my hearing aids off I will still get a pretty good approximation of what I hear when wearing them

Anyway, I want an EQ on each of the 2 output channels...........how? Hope someone can assist

Regards

Jon
HI All

I managed to find the original replies so please don't bother to reply to tgis one

Very sorry to waste all your time

Regards

Jon