Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 02-21-2021, 07:49 PM   #1
sbungay
Human being with feelings

Default Items automagically become "distorted"...

Reaper 6.17
AMD FX 8350 CPU
32 GB RAM
Linux Mint 19 Tara

I'm an audio narrator, no midi, no plugins active. Recently when I was doing some retaked, the area in question (the original take) sounded "buzzy", like I was speaking through a kazoo. Huh? I checked the rest of the region, same problem, and then I checked a few more regions, the problem affects HOURS of ready-to-render finished audio.

OK, not panicking (well, trying not to), I opened one of the affected items in the external editor, Audacity in my case, and played it back. NO BUZZ! Completely distortion free! Hmmmm. So I tried the same with the other areas, also distortion free in Audacity.

So, in Reaper, distorted, sent to Audacity FROM Reaper, NOT distorted.

Now these regions have been heavily edited and when you open an item in the external editor it doesn't take the edited item, it takes the whole thing, a copy of what's in memory. That's a LOT of work to have to do over, so I wondered what would result if I made a new wave from all those items.

I inserted a new track and copied one of the regions (almost 2 hours of finished narration) down to it, then glued them all together to make a new waveform. Opening the newly created item in Audacity it too was "buzzy". OK, so Reaper created a distorted waveform from the items.

Question. When opening an item in an external editor does Reaper send a copy of what is in memory to the external application or does it send the name of the file to the external editor and therefore the external application opens the file?

How is it that Reaper is playing back a distortion free file as distorted?

Not reporting this as a "bug" because I can't reliably reproduce it. It just happens, ruins your week, and there doesn't seem to be anyway to get Reaper to get these items right.
sbungay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #2
reapercurious
Human being with feelings

look at exactly what your audio interface settings are in both programs. i get bit crushing if i use the wrong setting. i forgot if its from directsound or what, but check those settings, try different ones like ASIO, MME, etc.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote