Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-06-2019, 04:08 AM   #1
Jr_vw2
Human being with feelings

Default Recording keyboard in reaper?

Ok so I've been doing a lot of recording and mixing lately and I want to record keyboard on a new song. It's an older casio electric piano it does have a midi in and out on it. I have a focusrite scarlet 18i20 interface. I tried very briefly setting it up with the midi out of the keyboard going to the midi in on the scarlet I am assuming I will need to enable or download a plugin to get sound since it is midi. But I'm really at a loss for what I actually need to do. Any insight? Thanks.
Jr_vw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:33 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello Jr_vw2 and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
Yes, you are right: the MIDI from the keyboard in "only" data, not any sound. You can Record the MIDI data in Reaper then edit it to fix any timing issues, missing notes, wrong notes and so on. Loads of details are in the User Guide.

As for hearing the results, you may be able to send the MIDI out of Reaper, via the Scarlett back to your piano. Or, as you said, add a software plug-in onto the track where the MIDI is. To try this out, after recording some MIDI (or just editing notes into an empty MIDI clip), you could add the Reaper ReaSynth.

Now, as for plug-ins: there are hundreds (thousands) to choose from; all the way from free up to several hundreds of $. What sort of sound do you want? Then we can offer some ideas. You might like to get the latest issue (printed or digital) of Computer Music magazine. Then you will get on DVD (or download) a big range of synths, FX and other plug-ins.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:08 AM   #3
Jr_vw2

Thanks for the reply DarkStar. I think I'm still missing a step somewhere. When I add a new track and try to select the midi input i cant see where it is actually seeing any kind of input. I dont see it actually pickup anything up to record. I have tried every input option and even the option that says all midi channels and I still get nothing.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:45 AM   #4
DarkStar

I am nut sure what you mean by "i cant see where it is actually seeing any kind of input".

Run through the check-list in the User Guide, 3.40.

And let us see pics of your MIDI Device config.
How to describe your hardware set-up (in Post #3)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
hopi

is the track armed to record?
Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
Jr_vw2

Thanks for the tips. The midi input was not enabled on my interface. Now I just need to find a vst that sounds good. Lol. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:49 AM   #7
DarkStar

Good oh. What sort of sound(s) are you looking for?
Old 05-09-2019, 04:03 AM   #8
Jr_vw2

I'd really like to find a good synth that has a variety of presets. I know nothing about synths and dont really want to learn lol. Just would like to find that and a good piano sound.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:07 AM   #9
DarkStar

. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Now, as for plug-ins: there are hundreds (thousands) to choose from; all the way from free up to several hundreds of $. What sort of sound do you want? Then we can offer some ideas. You might like to get the latest issue (printed or digital) of Computer Music magazine. Then you will get on DVD (or download) a big range of synths, FX and other plug-ins.
And there are loads of piano plug-ins available. What sort of piano? What sort of budget do you have?
Old 05-09-2019, 04:29 AM   #10
Jr_vw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
. . . .

And there are loads of piano plug-ins available. What sort of piano? What sort of budget do you have?
Well I dont want to spend a ton but I dont mind paying $50isb I just want make sure that it has presets that I can choose from. Piano indent think will be to hard to find a decent one. I've downloaded a couple free ones but havent tried then yet.