Old 10-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Hoof Hearted
Human being with feelings

Default Can I Automate Plug-ins/Filters?

I would like to start out with a scratchy record sound using Izotope Vinyl plug-in, but would like the effect to fade gradually out of the mix.

How do I do that?

It seems like I've asked this before but couldn't find it in a search...
Old 10-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
technogremlin

Maybe use the mix-knob on the plugin-container window. Not sure if you can automate that, but I expect it to be possible.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Swamp Ape

You can automate plugins, yes, but I wouldn't recommend doing this with Vinyl in particular - you'll get pops and artifacts when switching the "year" knob. Instead, I would apply the fx you want to one item and then crossfade it with an untreated item to fade the effect out.

Regarding automating plugins, though: twiddle the knob or slider you want to automate, then open up the automation window and check "last parameter touched" or whatever it's called, then the parameter will appear underneath it for you to select.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
serr

Lots of ways.

Look up automation/envelopes in the manual. You can record yourself moving the faders or draw points and lines to automate it graphically (right over the top of the waveform when in envelope view).

Or... You can make a separate track just for this bit. Then either draw a fade on the end or again, automate the volume envelope.

That's how it's done.

And not just track volume. Any parameter on any Reaper function or plugin.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Hoof Hearted

Thanks guys!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
Hoof Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Lots of ways.

Look up automation/envelopes in the manual. You can record yourself moving the faders or draw points and lines to automate it graphically (right over the top of the waveform when in envelope view).

Or... You can make a separate track just for this bit. Then either draw a fade on the end or again, automate the volume envelope.

That's how it's done.

And not just track volume. Any parameter on any Reaper function or plugin.
Still having a bit of a rough go working with the envelopes.

For example, One of the filters I wish to have fade in and out is
JSelay/delay_chorus

I have tweaked the individual levels of each component within the filter to produce the effect I am after. When I say components I'm referring to Delay, feedback, bypass, wet output, etc.

I would like to just fade the FX filter(and it's customized settings)in during the bridge, and back out when the bridge is over.

It seems I have to open envelopes for each individual component within the filter, such as the already mentioned Delay, Feedback, Bypass, etc.

A couple of immediate questions come to mind:

1. Am I to open envelopes for each component within a particular filter, and then group them together so that they all fade in and out simultaneously?

If so, it would seem to be a pretty cumbersome task to automate filters...some filters have a quite a few components within them...

2. Am I to "arm" the envelope of each component I open within a filter?

I notice there is a box I can check which allows me to arm a particular envelope within the FX filter.
I understand how arming a track for recording works, but I don't yet understand what arming an envelope achieves, and I'm not seeing it explained in 14.19 Using Envelopes with FX Parameters.
On that same note there are other empty boxes which can be checked, that are labeled "UI", and again, I just don't understand whether or not these are important options, or what tasks they serve...

Sorry if I have not been clear on my dilemmas,it's just that I'm still, in large part, ignorant of the language used to describe the filters and their components.

Thanks in advance if you can help...
Old 12-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
Jeffsounds

Why not just use a volume envelope to fade in and out? That way you set all the other param's where you want them and just use the volume.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
Hoof Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Why not just use a volume envelope to fade in and out? That way you set all the other param's where you want them and just use the volume.
Please bear with me. I am legally retarded, but persistent too, so I hope to get this straight.

In my mind, a volume envelope won't fulfill my needs- not according to my understanding of the way a volume envelope works.

This is how I see a volume envelope working- Let's say I play a guitar melody that last for 3 minutes.

I would like to add Reaverb to the track starting at the 1 minute mark, and the effect would last all the way until the 2 minute mark, at which point the filter would be disabled, or faded out.

so the equation would be:
1st minute = no Reaverb
2nd minute = Reaverb
3rd minute = no Reaverb

So, if I add the FX, and then If I use a volume envelope, and draw the automation, this will control the volume of the track as well as the filter simultaneously.

So by adding or decreasing volume- I am not only increasing/decreasing the amount of the effect, but I am also increasing/decreasing the volume of the track simultaneously.

I don't wish for a volume envelope to control both the track and the FX, but rather wish to have a volume envelope for the filter ONLY.

I do not wish to have to mess with each and every parameter within the FX.

Once I have the filter set- I simply wish to be able to add/remove the FX at any points I choose.

I think I understand the work around- which is to just separate the sections into different tracks...

Am I missing something?
Old 12-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
Fex

There are a several approaches which might get you whst you want.
You might create separate tracks for the guitar and the Reaverb, sending the audio from the guitar track to the Reaverb track, and then automating the volume of the Reaverb track alone. Or you might automate the send/receive level to fade up and down. Or you might automate the mute on/off for that send.

Regardless of whether you create a separate track for the Reaverb, you might automate the Reaverb's bypass on/off, or you might automate the wet/dry balance of the Reaverb.

As is so often the case with REAPER, there are many ways to skin this cat.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Hoof Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Or you might automate the send/receive level to fade up and down. Or you might automate the mute on/off for that send.
Could you tell me where to find the send/receive level?

I see the mute option in the track envelope menu, but nothing that looks like it says send or receive...
Old 12-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
moliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post

I would like to just fade the FX filter(and it's customized settings)in during the bridge, and back out when the bridge is over.

It seems I have to open envelopes for each individual component within the filter, such as the already mentioned Delay, Feedback, Bypass, etc.
You need to automate a single parameter called 'Wet' associated with the FX. If you have an insert FX on the track in question, this will show up when you click the trim/envelope button on the track panel, under the FX in question (it's usually the last one per FX). This changes the wet/dry ratio of the effect, 0% will be no effect and you can fade it in to your desired level.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #12
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
Could you tell me where to find the send/receive level?

I see the mute option in the track envelope menu, but nothing that looks like it says send or receive...
First of all, I should say, moliere is probably correct to suggest that automating the wet/dry balance is an easier way to get what you want.

That said, you can set up a send/receive between tracks by clicking the I/O button for either track and finding the option in the routing window, or just by dragging the sending track's I/O button to the receiving track's I/O button. In the sending track's envelope window, you should then see send envelopes for volume, pan and mute. You can adjust the send level in the routing window, again, by clicking I/O, and you can automate this, of course, if the envelope is armed.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote