Old 12-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 6 administrator privileges

I have seen a lot of posts discussing Reaper 6 but did not take a lot of notice because I thought it was coming somewhere in the future.
I opened Reaper on my "non-music" machine and was told there was update available (version 6), so I downloaded and ran the update but was told "The installer requires ad privileges for normal install. Would you like to do a portable instead?"

No idea what they are talking about. So I checked on my the computer I only use for music and there version 6 downloaded and set up without any problem. Any ideas what the problem might be please?
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
I have seen a lot of posts discussing Reaper 6 but did not take a lot of notice because I thought it was coming somewhere in the future.
I opened Reaper on my "non-music" machine and was told there was update available (version 6), so I downloaded and ran the update but was told "The installer requires ad privileges for normal install. Would you like to do a portable instead?"

No idea what they are talking about. So I checked on my the computer I only use for music and there version 6 downloaded and set up without any problem. Any ideas what the problem might be please?
Can't say for sure, but sounds like the user account you used to log in on first computer does not have admin rights, whereas the user account used with our Music computer does. Admin rights let you install software, change system settings, etc.

What OS are you on? Windows 10 is pretty good about prompting you to enter the username and password of an account with admin rights when you try to install software when logged in with a restricted user account.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
Burnsjethro

How very generous of you Toleolu. And how rude of me to not report back on this issue. Well I tried again and it set up without any problem, so I don't know what happened the first time. Sorry for not getting back to the forum to say everything was OK.
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
karbomusic

Non-portable requires a few registry entries, for example telling the OS to use reaper to open .RPP files when you double-click them, and a couple other features such as rewire. It's perfectly OK and normal to run the Reaper installer as Admin for a non-portable install - the thing that is not normal and expected is to run Reaper itself as admin. It will also ask when installing in the default location (program files) because it is a protected directory.

FYI, it should usually ask this for non-portable unless someone has been changing UAC settings from their defaults. If it is due to the user in general, it will then ask for a user/pass, otherwise, it's just UAC asking if you are really you.