Old 05-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default media explorer question: speed control

i see a pitch control but i often preview long sound files and wish i could run through them at higher speeds to get through them quicker. an example would be to find a specific sentence in a long speech. for spoken word like that i'd want to run through it at high speed but without changing pitch. is that not possible?

thanks,
babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
babag

anyone? H3o implies it can be done but has offered no guidance.

thanks,
babag
Old 05-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
babag

duuude. not helpful. have a nice day.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:26 AM   #4
kneipp123

try tempo match double? play through files at double speed
kneipp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
babag

thanks, kneipp123. when i set the explorer to 'tempo match double' and play a file in the preview window it doesn't change anything. it plays normally. if i use the pitch control the speed changes but so does the pitch. thanks, though.

to be clear, what i was looking for is a means of playing a preview inside the media explorer window and having speed control over it without affecting the pitch. if the suggested method works for you, i may have a preference set for my workflow that causes it not to work for me. that's all i can think of.

thanks again,
babag

Last edited by babag; 05-23-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
babag

thanks for the suggestions but none did anything here. some are irrelevant as they require the clip to be in a track and i'm trying to preview in the media explorer. in the media explorer there is nothing below the waveform save 'playtime/file length' and 'filename.'

all of the bpm/tempo-matching is kind of martian to me as i don't do music, per se. never once used such settings in all the years i've had reaper. if any of these workarounds that employ such do work for me, it will likely be the only thing i'll ever use such a setting for. that said, it seems understandable that users, most of whom are musicians, would assume an understanding of such settings which i, obviously, have had little use for.

one question, are these suggestions assuming the media will be placed in a track before previewing? that's what i'm trying to avoid.

thanks again,
babag
Old 05-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
babag

saw nothing in the manual about playback rate for media explorer preview. also, just tried extracting a wav file from the source media, which is m4v, mp4, etc. thought that, being movie files, the file format could be impacting the ability to successfully access playrate. nope. wav behavior same as m4v.