Old 08-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
Jeffsounds
Human being with feelings

Default Effect Configuration Is Preserved

Ok, so how does one use this information? I have a project that can't find a plugin because it is now in a different place since I changed computers. So, how do I get that plugin back into the project using the configuration that is preserved? RIGHT clicking on the VST in the plugin window offers a whole bunch of options but not one of them says, "Use this if you're plugin configuration is preserved because the plugin couldn't be found."
Old 08-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
karbomusic

If you have restored the plugin itself, re-scanned and it didn't pick it up in the project... try right-clicking the item in the FX chain, CTRL+C then CTRL+V, this should paste a copy and pick up the recovered instance of the plugin with the settings from the previous - then delete the old instance - At least this worked for me not long ago.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
lowellben

I've had this happen before it's a nightmare. Especially with old versions of Kontakt like 4 or 5. Now that I'm on six, I don't have the "DLL" my older projects are looking for.

How can I hack a reaper project to replace all kontakt 4.dll with kontakt.dll so I can restore the preserved configurations? Otherwise, that message is useless and actually incorrect.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
lunker

Ben,

You can edit the .rpp file with a text editor. Search for “kontakt “ and hopefully you will see what to change. If you have good computer/editor skills, you can find all.rpp files that use the old version, and fix them all in one go.

If you can’t figure it out, I’ll send more details tomorrow.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Ben,

You can edit the .rpp file with a text editor. Search for “kontakt “ and hopefully you will see what to change. If you have good computer/editor skills, you can find all.rpp files that use the old version, and fix them all in one go.

Thanks Lunker. This makes some sense but does this work with other plugins or only Kontakt named?

Lowell
Old 08-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
lowellben

Quote:
Ben,

Is there any danger in editing the rpp?

LB
Old 08-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #7
lunker

It should work for any plugins that keep the same chunk format between versions.

I’ve used this technique to upgrade all my projects from Addictive Drums 1 to AD2; from Jamstix 2 to Jamstix 3 to Jamstix 4; and probably a few others.

Before you try a global change on all your files, test it on one file (make a backup copy, just in case).

EDIT: Technically, there is always a risk to editing a.rpp file manually, but not much risk if you know what you are doing and make a backup copy just in case.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #8
hopi

you could try this:

make a copy of the kontakt.dll this the version 6 and it is named without any number...

put it into a new folder in your vst folders and rename it to kontakt4.dll

IF that is the one you are missing...

see if reaper picks it up loads the project

IF it does then use replace FX to replace with your Kontakt.dll [version 6] and resave the project
Old 08-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #9
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If you have restored the plugin itself, re-scanned and it didn't pick it up in the project... try right-clicking the item in the FX chain, CTRL+C then CTRL+V, this should paste a copy and pick up the recovered instance of the plugin with the settings from the previous - then delete the old instance - At least this worked for me not long ago.
Didn't work here. The copy came up same as the original.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:48 PM   #10
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Ben,

I tried that for my case and could not see a path that needed to be changed.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #11
lunker

Jeff,

Can you load the new plugin in a new project? From your description, I can't tell if the problem is that Reaper just can't find the new plugin, or whether it can find it but isn't able to automatically replace the old version with the new version.

Ben (and Jeff),

Here is an example of how I edited .rpp files to replace Kontakt5 with Kontakt6. Unfortunately, I don't have the "before" files, so I am going to provide an example of what I *think* the Kontakt5 text in those files would have been.

1) In a text editor (I use Notepad++), I opened a .rpp file with Kontakt5, and did a case-insensitive search for "kontakt". That text was found in a few different places in the .rpp file, but the most promising place was in a line that looked like this:

Code:
      <VST "VSTi: Kontakt5 (Native Instruments GmbH) (8 out)" kontakt5.dll 0 "" 1315513412 ""
2) I created a new Reaper project, added Kontakt6, and looked in the .rpp file and found a similar line:

Code:
      <VST "VSTi: Kontakt (Native Instruments GmbH) (64 out)" Kontakt.dll 0 "" 1315513412 ""
3) I edited the file in step #1 to replace the Kontakt5 line with the Kontakt6 line from step #2. And voila! When I opened the old project in Reaper, Kontakt5 was replaced with Kontakt6, and all the instruments and effects worked correctly. It really was that easy!

===

So after that test showed that editing the .rpp file would work, I did a batch find/replace on all the .rpp files that needed fixing:

4) Using Everything (https://www.voidtools.com/), I searched for all .rpp files that contained Kontakt5 (you should double-check in your .rpp files to find the exact text that needs fixing, since I am kind of guessing what the Kontakt5 line looked like).

5) I opened all of those .rpp files in Notepadd++, and did the exact same find/replace action I had done on the single file I used as a test, but this time I did it globally on all of the .rpp files that I had open in the editor.

6) I repeated step #4 to see if I had indeed fixed all of the .rpp files, and found that there were still some .rpp files using Kontakt5 because the lines in the .rpp file were slightly different than what I had searched for, and they didn't get fixed by the find/replace action I had done. For example, the original line I had found said "Kontakt5 (Native Instruments GmbH) (8 out)", and the files that were missed had lines that said "Kontakt5 (Native Instruments GmbH) (32 out)" instead.

7) So I repeated step #5 with a modified find/replace action to fix the files that hadn't been fixed in the first pass.

8) I repeated step #4 (again) just to verify that I had gotten all files. If there were any remaining that still hadn't been fixed, I would have repeated steps #6 and #7 over and over until I had replaced Kontakt5 with Kontakt6 in of all of my .rpp files.

===

As I said earlier, I have also done this to successfully update .rpp files from AD1 to AD2, Jamstix3 to Jamstix4, and possibly a few other plugins.

Last edited by lunker; 08-17-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #12
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Jeff,

Can you load the new plugin in a new project? From your description, I can't tell if the problem is that Reaper just can't find the new plugin, or whether it can find it but isn't able to automatically replace the old version with the new version.
Yes, I can load the plugin in a new project or even in the same project. It kind of acts like the path to the plugin was changed (which it HAS since it's now on a new computer with different drive names) and Reaper just defaults to the error message rather than try to find it.

I have quite a few older projects that are going to be broken because of this.

EDIT: I'd be happy if I could find the settings in the RPP file and just apply them manually but I can't find the line!
Old 09-06-2023, 08:09 AM   #13
polq

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
wow that fucking helped me!
i thought i was lost after that happened thanks god.
thx for helping although I'm just a random that searched help on the internet.
polq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 08:49 AM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by polq View Post
wow that fucking helped me!
i thought i was lost after that happened thanks god.
thx for helping although I'm just a random that searched help on the internet.
Excellent, glad it worked for you!