Old 10-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default Scheps Rear Buss technique

How am I just now trying this? It's the serious business, I tellsya.

It's so easy to set up as well.

I happen to use a mix template devised by the Very Reverend Tod and the rear buss slots right into it.

You gotsa tries it, yo!
Old 10-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
How am I just now trying this? It's the serious business, I tellsya.

It's so easy to set up as well.

I happen to use a mix template devised by the Very Reverend Tod and the rear buss slots right into it.

You gotsa tries it, yo!
Hey my friend, ha ha, I'm probably missing something, but what is the "Scheps Rear Buss technique"?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Yea, not so cool making us google things ourselves OP... Apparently it's a parallel buss with an 1176LN that gets everything but the drums:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...technique.html

Why the hell is it called that? Who knows. Guess I have to try it to see what it's all about.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #4
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Why the hell is it called that?
I'm guessing it's called the rear bus technique because on an SSL console (most of which were quad and had a left and right 'rear' bus as well as left and right 'front' bus that you could route to pre master fader) you'd use the 'rear' bus in parallel to the 'front' bus to achieve this technique. Also heard it referred to as 'back busing'...
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Ah well that makes more sense. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Yea, not so cool making us google things ourselves OP... Apparently it's a parallel buss with an 1176LN that gets everything but the drums:

Why the hell is it called that? Who knows. Guess I have to try it to see what it's all about.
Aah yes, I saw that illustrated some years ago and I've done that a few times. However, I don't really have a definitive answer on the outcome.

I've also got a Waves plugin called "Scheps Omni Channel", and it has EQs, Filters, Gate, Compressor, and other types effects. It's a nice plugin.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
serr

You're putting the compressed stereo pair in the rears and the parallel uncompressed stereo pair in the front?

The compressed pair will be where the sound seems to originate from... Is this intentionally something placed in the rear in surround?

I had a recent recording of a saxophone duo that I recorded in simple close stereo with two TLM-193 mics. I've been making surround mixes along with stereo from the recordings I've been making at this club. So for this one I put the compression bus I dialed up for that pair in the fronts and then the uncompressed parallel bus in the rears for a quad surround mix.
Everything can't be perfectly discrete... Sounds right.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
Lokasenna

This has nothing to do with placement - "rear" in this case is referring to an additional set of buses on SSL consoles that (AFAIK) typically go unused in a stereo mix.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
Mrmot

He's actually using UAD 1176 Anniversary edition plugin for this, 2:1 ratio, multi-mono, he said that it was the last thing that he struggled to find to replace what he did on the console cause all other 1176 to him didn't sound right, except this particular version. What's strange is that he NEVER looks at the meters, how much gain reduction he is getting, so on some mixes, the needle isn't moving AT ALL (and not just for the Rear buss, for a lot of other compressors, too). I just met Andrew a week ago and it was amazing seeing him work and explain a lot of these things, and he's very very stress-free, just uses his ears, and uses what sounds good to him.

Quote:

Mrmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #10
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmot View Post
He's actually using UAD 1176 Anniversary edition plugin for this, 2:1 ratio, multi-mono,
Oh hi there, lurker... Heheh, j/k but what's "multi-mono?"
Old 10-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #11
Judders

Quote:
Oh hi there, lurker... Heheh, j/k but what's "multi-mono?"
Not stereo linked compressors, but separate detection and gain reduction for L & R.

Scheps only panned centre or hard left/right on his Neve (set up for quad, using the pair of 1176's on the rear bus as described above by Tone Ranger) because other pan positions introduced noise.

Beware of the phantom centre moving around a bit with unlinked compressors.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote