Old 05-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Cableaddict
Human being with feelings

Default Advanced Midi Filtering Question

I'm trying to do something fairly difficult with Reaper for my live-performance rig, and it's made more difficult by the fact that I just haven't had the time to carefully digest every page of the manual.

I am still only auditioning Reaper, so it's hard to devote days to that. Hoping for some help from you folks on this (if it can be done at all)

Here's what I need. It concerns key-mapping and external control of midi-filters:
------------------

My master keyboard is used solely as a triiger. My physical set-up does not allow me to access its knobs & buttons, so all key-mapping and patch-changes must be done in the computer.

I have seven VSTi's active in real-time. One of them does left-hand bass, and always gets a different treatment from the others. the other six always work together, getting the same key-mapping as each other.

For those six, I sometimes need to limit the lower kybd range (leaving room for the bass sound, and other times I use no bass and map the six to the whole keyboard.
--------

What I need is to be able to turn that midi-filter on & off from an external controller, but I need to turn it on & off for all six VSTi's at once. Is there some kind of macro command that allows this?

## Alternatively, perhaps there is some way put a filter on the incoming midi stream, before it goes to any tracks? That would be pretty cool. Sort of a midi bussing scheme. It would make changing settings a whole lot easier!
Am I just dreaming, or can this be done?

In a perfect world, I might then even be able to split the midi-stream, and put "master filters" on only the part that goes to those six VSTi's, not touching the bass.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 05-12-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
xackley

MIDI Keyboard Deploy was written to do this, if I understand your request.

Set up a few tracks for incoming midi, create sends on the midi tracks to the VSTi tracks.
Each Incoming midi track could have a copy of Keyboard Deploy with different splits. Then use some buttons on the MIDI keyboard, mapped to Track Mute in reaper's Preferences\Keyboard Control for activating/deactivating the Incoming MIDI Tracks(each with a different Filter), thereby remapping your keyboard on the fly with a single button press.

Alternately for the Mute Keybinding, you could bind your computer keyboard to Mute/Solo Tracks. Make a special Live template that requires a single key press to Mute/UnMute specific tracks. With 6 layers of commands for each keybinding the combinations of what a single button press could do for Muting/Soloing track selections could be mind boggling with possibilities, or kept very simple.

Lotsa ways to do this, it's just a matter of finding which is best for you.

If you try out Keyboard Deploy, and it doesn't work, or it doesn't make sense, post the complaint in that thread.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Cableaddict

Xactly,

That first idea sounds like just what I need, a routing of the midi stream. I didn't know that could be done. I'll give it a try, THANKS.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote