Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #41
One4n5
Human being with feelings

Ha! U guys are rapid!
I was just returning to post that I sucessfully found it by going to options>FX Plugins settings>Plugins>VST>Auto Detect. It then found my root(C:\Program Files\Vstplugins)and added dfh Toontrack & a Kompakt plug that came with Acid.

Funny thing though, It loaded the pix of the drum set but no data with it. No drums sound when clicked, no groove lib, or so on.

I need to click some more buttons... I love a good mystery.

Much thanks!
One4n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #42
Bevoss

Did you give it long enough for the ram to boot up? You can see the numbers ticking over on the GUI. Probably know this but...
Bevoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #43
One4n5

No, I watched for that but nothing ever happened. The drum set pix popped up very quick, but after that ...nada.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:06 PM   #44
Diogenes

In Reaper prefs you have to check "Always run FX" for EZ drummer to load up properly...

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #45
Serendipity

Make sure you have Always run track FX checked in the Audio preferences. Also, remember that you have to open up the GUI of EZdrummer when creating a song from scratch or opening a saved song , or it won't load the kit. I have no idea why this happens in Reaper.

Edit: And baam! You draw too fast for me D

Last edited by Serendipity; 01-20-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #46
One4n5

THAT'S IT!!
Thank you, Gents! Yall have saved me a TON of time.

I owe u a cold one.... or two.... or?????
Hey Serendipity, havent I seen u in some of the other forums, like maybe Roland's VS2480? If so, do u still have/use one?

Thanks again everybody. Now it's tutorial time.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #47
Serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by One4n5 View Post
Hey Serendipity, havent I seen u in some of the other forums, like maybe Roland's VS2480? If so, do u still have/use one?
Sorry, no VS2480 here. I'm on KVR and the Podium forums.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #48
realm123

how does one get and upload EZ Drummer to Reaper?
Thanks.
realm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:19 AM   #49
Bevoss

Sorry, I'm not following you...try again?
Old 01-21-2007, 01:40 AM   #50
rickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by realm123 View Post
how does one get and upload EZ Drummer to Reaper?
Thanks.
You have to obtain the CD and install it
rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:52 AM   #51
realm123

I am not too familiar with EZ Drummer. I thought it was a freebie plugin, but after going to their site, I saw it wasn't so free.
realm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #52
psingman

Default Can't get EZ drummer midi files to come up in Reaper?

HI, I didn't want to hijack this thread, but I installed EZ drummer today, and got it working. However, I looked at Billy's pics and I don't have any of his settings in the second window over where it says 4/4 and shuffling and all those different bpm's. Am I missing something, as I only see Pop/Rock EZ stuff, the other 2 windows to the right, look the same.

Please help me getting EZ drummer up and running correctly so I can do some backbeats. Do I need the EZ ZFX to accomplish this, or are the midi files for the grooves hiding somewhere? Thanks for assisting, psingman
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:02 PM   #53
Bevoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by psingman View Post
HI, I didn't want to hijack this thread, but I installed EZ drummer today, and got it working. However, I looked at Billy's pics and I don't have any of his settings in the second window over where it says 4/4 and shuffling and all those different bpm's. Am I missing something, as I only see Pop/Rock EZ stuff, the other 2 windows to the right, look the same.

Please help me getting EZ drummer up and running correctly so I can do some backbeats. Do I need the EZ ZFX to accomplish this, or are the midi files for the grooves hiding somewhere? Thanks for assisting, psingman
Sounds like you have the basic install, you need the DFH add-ons for EZ Drummer, can't remember what they're called but there's Drumkit from Hell, a Cocktail Kit, and a Latin one.

Edit: Not sure I read this properly, try select Pop, than select the groove in the second window, than the variation in the third, and press play on EZD. If that works you can also drag midi files out of the groove window to the track. Also go through the manual, I think there's a flash tuition there by memory.

Last edited by Bevoss; 01-23-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #54
billybk1

Quote:
I looked at Billy's pics and I don't have any of his settings in the second window over where it says 4/4 and shuffling and all those different bpm's.

Which pics are you referring to?

Cheers,

Billy Buck
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #55
psingman

H'lo, yeah, I do need the addons. I think Billy already has them as he is versed in this area. You know, what I am trying to accomplish is, can this be done? I want to play on top of these wonderful grooves. Do you just open up another track and play on top of them, or can it be done some other way. One thing I did notice is the beats go to the tempo of the song. How can you speed up and slow down the rhythms?

See, I am not a midified person. I usually use my Yamaha keyboard or Boss DR5 and modify it, to suit my song. I have been getting some really nice backbeats using this method, but can see, that with EZ Drummer they are light years better and more realistic. I guess what I am asking is how can you make EZ Drummer more personal? I suppose you can just record right on the drum kit too, but don't really know how to use midi inside of Reaper. If you can direct me to a simple sensible way to understand and do this, please assist, thanks for listening, psingman
Old 02-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #56
psingman

H;lo. I am really getting this EZ drummer thing down using Reaper but need a little more help. How do you use the mixer, inside it, to lower let's say snare hits....I mean, I know how to lower the volumer fader, but how do you do it for all the midi grooves, you drop into the midi track you are using for EZ drummer.

I am not using going the separate routing way yet, so do you have to set the mixer for the whole track or what? It seems it should be doable for each midi file you drop in. Well, hope you can help, thanks, psingman
Old 02-06-2007, 07:25 AM   #57
wickerman

Quote:
H;lo. I am really getting this EZ drummer thing down using Reaper but need a little more help. How do you use the mixer, inside it, to lower let's say snare hits....I mean, I know how to lower the volumer fader, but how do you do it for all the midi grooves, you drop into the midi track you are using for EZ drummer.

I am not using going the separate routing way yet, so do you have to set the mixer for the whole track or what? It seems it should be doable for each midi file you drop in. Well, hope you can help, thanks, psingman
psingman,

It's best to separate each track out, not just for routing but for separate processing of each drum at the mixdown stage. You would treat a kick differently than a snare, so separating them out makes the most sense. Just follow the tutorial in this thread that Serendipity put together - fantastic tutorial and very easy to do in Reaper. Once you do that, set it as a template so that it is recalled each time you open Reaper.

Without doing this, to my knowledge, the only way to adjust the individual snare hits is to lower the snare fader in the EZDrummer mixer.

HTH,

Geoff
wickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #58
psingman

Thanks for all the help. Guess it is best to just follow the trails that have been blazed by other HDdrummers like Serendipity. I didn't want to use a lot of tracks but probably the way to go.

See, I think what is needed is a different mixer setting for each part of the song, like verse, chorus, bridge. Whoever designed these programs should interact with songwriters and engineers, to realize that would complement their wonderful softwares. I really believe I would be instrumental in helping develop this, as I have been recording now for about a year and a half, lots of stuff, and I can see the wants and needs of the recording musician. Anyway, will keep checking all these threads, appreciate all the assistance, psingman
Old 02-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #59
geoff firebaugh

Another trick I learned using EZD.

Drop your groove into RPR
dbl click to opent the midi editor.
say you want to lower the volume of the snare, click the first snare hit, hold down shift, and click the last snare hit, this will highlight all the snare hits in that particular file. then hover your cursor over any one of the hits until you see vertical arrows. click and drag up or down and this will raise/lower the velocity of all the snare hits in that segment. I actually prefer this to using the fader in alot of instances, because it actually changes the dynamic of the snare hit, not just the volume...

hope that helps

cheers
geoff
geoff firebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #60
Serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff firebaugh View Post
click the first snare hit, hold down shift, and click the last snare hit, this will highlight all the snare hits in that particular file.
An easier way would be to right-click the snare key in the piano roll thus selecting and highlighting all hits on that note.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #61
giant016

Where else could I find EZ drummer in Reaper? It's not listed under fx, and neither is the one that has a different name but is still EZ Drummer. The only VSTi's that I've got are Reasamplomatic5000, ReaSynDR, and ReaSynth. I tried scanning for new plugins and everything, no luck.

Does it come in Repear or is it a seperate program that just works with it?
giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #62
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016 View Post
Does it come in Repear or is it a seperate program that just works with it?
It is a separate commercial VSTi plugin:

http://www.toontrack.com/ezdrummer.asp

Cheers
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #63
Henry-S

Seren

Thanks very much for the excellent tutorial

The one thing I am wondering is whole this how Routing thing works with regards to the channels 1/2 etc. I understand the process of routing, sending signals around to hopefully help you achieve things. The reason for my question is.

Because on the matrix your routing say for example

Kick drum - 1/2

Snare top 3/4

etc

but I assumed that the singals from Ezdrummer were Mono? so why does it have to be 1/2 and 3/4 could it not just be 1,2,3,4?

Its probably something really simple, but I am interested in learning more about routing capabilities in Reaper and would appreciate any explanation on why it works like that?

Great tutorial and appreciated very much!

-------------------------------------------------------------

/puts on prat cap

I see that EZdrummer is sending Left and Right for each signal so its going to be kick left 1, right 2, snare t left 3, right 4 etc etc

silly me

Last edited by Henry-S; 02-21-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Henry-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #64
Serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry-S View Post
I see that EZdrummer is sending Left and Right for each signal so its going to be kick left 1, right 2, snare t left 3, right 4 etc etc

silly me
Yep! 8 stereo outputs from EZdrummer

Thanks for the kind words. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (we have a horrible snowstorm outside so the warmth is welcome hehe). I'm happy to help in any way I can with things I do know. There are so many things about Reaper that I haven't grasped yet but if we help each other everybody wins.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #65
Henry-S

Seren maybe you can help me with this then.

I have the setup as above but the weird thing is how do I get it to solo an individual drum?

For example getting the kick drum on its own. If I solo the Kick track I can see the input going up and also the input on the Ez drummer midi track but I cannot hear any sound?

The only way I can hear it is by having the group channel on? but when I turn on the group channel, I obviously can then hear all the other tracks

anyway to get around that?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have managed to get it to work but I am having to do this

mute all the drums apart from the one i want to listen to. Surely having the Kick drum Solo and the Group Soloed at the same time is the same as having Group Solo and all other drums apart from kick muted?

Seems the only way I can listen to the drums seperately is to mute all the parts I dont want and leave the one I want to listen to, surely that acts the same as solo?

Or am I being silly?

Last edited by Henry-S; 02-21-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Henry-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #66
Serendipity

Hint...solo-in-place (alt+click on the solo button).
Check the Audio preferences to change this behaviour.

Also press F1, scroll down to the bottom and check out the Mute Button Modifiers and the Solo Button Modifiers in the keyboard shortcuts list.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:23 PM   #67
Bevosss

Preferences-Audio...check this box

solos default to in-place-solo (alt-click does a normal solo)
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #68
Staccato

Serendipity, that's alot of work on your part, it is very good of you to spend some of your time in such a manner. I'm reluctant to even mention this after all of the work you've put into this tutorial. Obviously, after configuring this routing, the project would be saved as a template to avoid a do-over, so I think it would be prudent to configure the MIDI Source track with the entire 16 channels OP of EZDrummer. Other expansion kits may use different configurations/quantities of EZD OP tracks/channels, but still 16, even though, in this case, only 14 are used. Also, the track itself may be saved as an EZDrummer template for configuring future expansion paks, and having the full 16 in the track template would be good, too.
Staccato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:27 AM   #69
Serendipity

Naturally you can set it up any way you want, including the last two outputs and even separate tracks for the MIDI if you fancy that. Templates didn't even exist when I wrote the tutorial but it sure is handy now. Back then (in the ancient times of Reaper ) we saved the whole project as 'kind of a template', believe it or not
Old 03-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #70
m_gant

Long time SX and ACID user looking to possibly migrate.

Excellent tutorial got me up in no time.

IS there anyway for the <piano roll> or the <MODE:named notes> to actually display the name of the instrument...IE kick, snare.

I am so used to using all DFH stuff with a map. There must be a way to assign names to the midi editor. Please say yes?!?

Thank you!
m_gant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #71
Serendipity

Unfortunately for us users of EZdrummer, DFH, Superior there's no such option yet. No drum maps either. Certain VSTi's report notenames to Reaper but not the above mentioned ones. We need drum map support. Not in the near future I'm afraid as Justin has got a couple of million other "more important" features and requests to fulfill first...
Old 03-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #72
bong hits for jesus

Ah! Nice!! Thank-you very much!!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #73
Webb

Please help this midiot out. I have very limited experience with midi and computer recording. I was previously using ezDrummer with a Korg PadKontrol in Acid and it worked fine. But I keep reading all the great things about Reaper and decided I needed to try it out.

No luck getting output from ezDrummer. I thought I followed Serendipity's excellent tutorial to a T, but I must be missing something. When I drag a midi file onto track 1 and hit play, I see the MIDI blinking in EZDrummer but I'm not getting any sound.

The meters in the ezdrummer midi are bouncing as well, but not the master meters. Does anyone have a clue what I did wrong? I tried it 3 different times now, all with the same result.

Thanks in advance for helping the newbie!
Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:58 PM   #74
Bevosss

I uploaded some track templates for you...just add them to documents and settings/user/application data/reaper/track templates

Then right click on the tcp in Reaper, choose insert track template, choose which template to insert.

Drag the midi loop onto the kick track, and play.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/21020/E...0Templates.rar
Old 05-18-2007, 07:30 AM   #75
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb View Post
Please help this midiot out.

...No luck getting output from ezDrummer. I thought I followed Serendipity's excellent tutorial to a T, but I must be missing something. When I drag a midi file onto track 1 and hit play, I see the MIDI blinking in EZDrummer but I'm not getting any sound.

Thanks in advance for helping the newbie!
Here's a post to another post in which I posted couple of track templates I pieced together which are a bit different than others people are using. Rather than placing the MIDI file in one of the drum tracks (i.e. the kick track) you can place it in it's own track, which minimizes the confusion I still have with anything MIDI.

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...39&postcount=8

(...I'm a fellow midiot!)

Good luck!

-mr moon

www.soundclick.com/mrmoon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #76
Webb

Thank you both for the info and templates. I can't wait to get home tonight and try it out.

One thing I need clarity on:

In Serendipity's tutorial, it says to drag the midi loop onto midi track 1 which I did, but got no sound. Bevosss says to drag the loop onto the kick track.

Maybe it's two completely different set-ups, but which track should I be dragging the loop to?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #77
Bevosss

Those templates I posted were created by Billy Buck, and routed so the kick track contains the midi. There's a few ways you can do it so feel free to experiment, I just wanted to get you started with some sound.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #78
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb View Post
Thank you both for the info and templates. I can't wait to get home tonight and try it out.

One thing I need clarity on:

In Serendipity's tutorial, it says to drag the midi loop onto midi track 1 which I did, but got no sound. Bevosss says to drag the loop onto the kick track.

Maybe it's two completely different set-ups, but which track should I be dragging the loop to?
Dude, read my last post (please).

-mr moon

www.soundclick.com/mrmoon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #79
Webb

Nice...you guys rock! With your help I finally got it to work. Now I don't feel like that much of a dork. Thanks again!!
Old 05-19-2007, 12:32 AM   #80
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post
Here's a post to another post in which I posted couple of track templates I pieced together which are a bit different than others people are using. Rather than placing the MIDI file in one of the drum tracks (i.e. the kick track) you can place it in it's own track, which minimizes the confusion I still have with anything MIDI.
I must try that...I seem to remember you can't change the kick volume without affecting all the volumes, if the kick track is the midi track?? Something like that...I was going to try that anyway, so thanks for the template, I'll try that first.