Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
warped
Human being with feelings

Default Recording track records ouput from all tracks

Hi,

I've only just installed Reaper 3.51 on my 64bit Windows 7 laptop (Alienware m17x) and am having problems recording.

I'm recording guitar through a line6 pod plugged direct into the laptops mic in.

I record a single guitar track to track1. I then try to record a second guitar to track2, and track 2 records what is playing on track1 + what I am playing.

When I have the metronome on - that also records on any track flagged to record.

So it seams like the track that is recording is recording all sounds, not just the input sound (POD -> mic in).

I can't find any soundcard options to change - and I've spent quite a while playing with the Audio Preferences through the Reaper Options/Preferences menu.

Anyone have similar problems? I obviously need to get a better recording interface instead of just using the mic' input on the laptop - but it should still work right?

Thanks,
warped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by warped View Post
Hi,

I've only just installed Reaper 3.51 on my 64bit Windows 7 laptop (Alienware m17x) and am having problems recording.

I'm recording guitar through a line6 pod plugged direct into the laptops mic in.

I record a single guitar track to track1. I then try to record a second guitar to track2, and track 2 records what is playing on track1 + what I am playing.

When I have the metronome on - that also records on any track flagged to record.

So it seams like the track that is recording is recording all sounds, not just the input sound (POD -> mic in).

I can't find any soundcard options to change - and I've spent quite a while playing with the Audio Preferences through the Reaper Options/Preferences menu.

Anyone have similar problems? I obviously need to get a better recording interface instead of just using the mic' input on the laptop - but it should still work right?

Thanks,
It is indeed a soundcard option. But you'd have to navigate the standard windows "Sound and Audio devices" options in Control Panel. Once you have that window open, click on the advanced button in the volume section. In that window, go to options-->properties. Select 'recording' in the adjust volume part. Make sure that after selecting recording, you've selected all checkboxes in the lower part of the window that reads 'show the following volume controls". Click OK. Now you should get the 'recording window'. On that window make sure that only the mic is enabled.

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
warped

Thanks very much Yves!
I will see how I go with you suggestion when I get home tonight - much appreciation for your help.
Daz
Old 05-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
warped

Hi Yves,

Checked last night - your description sounds like the sound settings on my XP machine. My Windows 7 machine Control Panel -> Sound -> only has recording options to enable or disable the mic input - enabled it records everything, disabled I get nothing..

Thanks anyway..
Darren
Old 05-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by warped View Post
Hi Yves,

Checked last night - your description sounds like the sound settings on my XP machine. My Windows 7 machine Control Panel -> Sound -> only has recording options to enable or disable the mic input - enabled it records everything, disabled I get nothing..

Thanks anyway..
Darren
Warren,

You are only seeing the mic input because that is the only one which is selected to show. Go back to the recording window. Then go to options/properties and click on 'recording' . Then make sure you've selected ALL of the recording inputs in the lower part of the screen. THis will make sure that the actual faders are visable at the actual recording window. Eventually you should a fader for mic input, a fader for 'Stereo Mix', a fader for 'CD Player'. Once you have those make sure that the 'select' checkbox for mic input is checked.

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote