Old 12-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #81
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

No, that's me forgetting to add a couple of error checks. I'll get a fix uploaded in a bit.

Done. ReaPack should have the update.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 12-29-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #82
vanhaze

Many thanks !

However, i did a synchronize of Reapack and your updated script doesn't seem to be updated.
- In Reapack log i see no notification of the update.
- Still the same error when opening the script..
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #83
Lokasenna

The index.xml shows that it updated, so I'm not sure. However, I'll happily admit to being a complete noob with ReaPack and GitHub.

Try installing it manually with the link in the OP?
Old 12-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #84
cfillion

@Lokasenna Don't forget to bump the version number (eg. to 6.0.1) and replace the changelog to release an update. Otherwise the existing version is overwritten as expected, but those who already got the original 6.0 won't get the fixed one until they reinstall it.

Last edited by cfillion; 12-29-2016 at 07:49 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #85
Lokasenna

Like I said, noob.

Updated the update.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #86
vanhaze

ehehehe, no sweat !

EDIT: I updated ReaPack again.
Now i can see in the log that Chordhelper is updated to 6.01.

- Chordhelper now opens without error :0)
- Loaded ZD Ultimate reascale.
- When i now click on the button Sync w/ Editor i get this error:

...s/ReaTeam Scripts/MIDI Editor/Lokasenna_Chord Helper.lua:2859: bad argument #1 to 'gsub' (string expected, got boolean)

Last edited by vanhaze; 12-29-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #87
akademie

I am getting following error when I "Run" the script :-(

ReaScript Error:
Lokasenna_Chord Helper.lua:2819: attempt to call a nil value (field 'BR_Win32_GetPrivateProfileString')

akademie
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #88
Lokasenna

That function is part of the SWS extension. My bad for not listing that as a requirement in the ReaPack information; I'll fix that.

http://www.sws-extension.org/

Last edited by Lokasenna; 12-29-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #89
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
That function is part of the SWS extension. My bad for not listing that as a requirement in the ReaPack information; I'll fix that.

http://www.sws-extension.org/
Hi Lokasenna, no problem, I tried it on my vanilla Reaper installation (pre-release), so I will try later today with SWS :-)

Thanx for info
akademie
Old 12-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #90
akademie

Well Lokasenna,
I've tried it with SWS and the script is working like a charm :-)

Thanks
akademie
Old 12-31-2016, 09:33 AM   #91
vanhaze

Updated Reapack.

- When i have sync with editor turned off , i then choose a chordset , no chords are displayed,
- when i turn on sync with midi editor, i get this error message:

...s/ReaTeam Scripts/MIDI Editor/Lokasenna_Chord Helper.lua:2861: bad argument #1 to 'gsub' (string expected, got boolean)

The buttons Descending and Ascending don't work for me.
When clicking on plus or minus button for Relative mode, i get this error:
...s/ReaTeam Scripts/MIDI Editor/Lokasenna_Chord Helper.lua:3035: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (local 'key_adj')

When clicking on plus or minus button for Parallel mode, i get this error:...s/ReaTeam Scripts/MIDI Editor/Lokasenna_Chord Helper.lua:3041: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (field '?')

Is this all user error or is it my bad that the script totally seems broken for me currently ?
Old 12-31-2016, 09:41 AM   #92
Lokasenna

Errors like that are never the user's fault; either I made a mistake or I didn't think of every possible thing a user might do.

1. Do you have a scale file loaded in the MIDI editor? (Turn on key snap, click the scale menu, choose Load, pick a .reascale file)
2. Re: not showing any chords, have you loaded a .reascale file with the button at the top left?

(If you need one, \Reaper\Data should have sample.reascale)

Last edited by Lokasenna; 12-31-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #93
hopi

newest version of helper.. and when clk the sync to editor button

it gives this error:

D:\Reaper 64 Portable\Scripts\Lokasenna_Chord Helper.lua:2877: bad argument #1 to 'gsub' (string expected, got boolean)

I do have the same reascale file in both helper and the Midi Ed.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #94
hopi

I have to go a little OT here but it is maybe related...

I have this issue with how the velo lane in the ME shows the velo bars...

It becomes a prob for me when there are two or more notes stacked over eachother, as we always have in a chord...
What happens is the velo bars show with the highest velo covering the others... so to even see the others we have first select the note... right?

I've had the reaper thinking explained to me by a DEV, but I don't get it... it makes no sense to me [admittedly I'm not the brightest star in the box]

What would make sense to me is that whatever is the highest velo bar would be at the back of the stack with the other lower ones layed over that in the order of the lowest is the most to the front of the stack.

In other words, some way to always see the different velo bars for all notes in a chord.. unless of course the velocity for two or more notes was exactly the same...

Which brings me to the thought for this lua...

I'm wondering if there could be an option to vary the velocities of each note in a chord by some amount? If that is possible, maybe we could discuss how much variation would be desired and maybe even a user +\- way to control that.

Do keep in mind that I might be total confused and just don't understand what I see in the velo lane correctly...

Lastly... sorry but gotta say this: I really wish reaper could show the velo bars with a little handle off to the right of each bar so it would be plain as day which bar you are grabbing regardless of where it lives in the stack.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #95
Lokasenna

Yeah, it looks like I just wasn't checking for problematic values in a few places. Working on a fix now.

Velocity is easy to do, since I'm already specifying it when the script previews/inserts notes. I could just add a slider to give users control over it. Anything more than that should wait until I figure out inserting arpeggios, IMO, and then we can look at things like strumming, randomizing velocities, etc.

As for the velocity bars, I agree that they're weird. I could swear I saw an FR recently that exact thing, not sure.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:41 PM   #96
Lokasenna

Alright, I think I've got those crashes sorted out. Fix will be up on ReaPack shortly.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #97
slipstick

I have the latest 6.0.5 (well it was the latest half an hour ago ) on 2 laptops and on one (Win7 x64, Reaper 5.31) it works perfectly. On the other (Win10 x64, Reaper 5.31) it has an odd problem. Arpeggio preview works fine. But chord preview only sounds one or occasionally two notes and not even the root note, sometimes 3rd, 5th or other. Inserting the chord is fine.

It's probably something different in the setup of the two machines but I can't think what. Any ideas ?

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:57 PM   #98
Lokasenna

By chance, do you have key snap enabled in the MIDI editor but Chord Helper isn't synced? If so, Chord Helper will sit there trying to preview the right notes and the MIDI editor will say "yeah, I don't think so", but inserting notes doesn't care.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:51 PM   #99
slipstick

Nope, key snap is not on nor is Sync. And I've tried several different keys/modes and it always does the same.

Key snap doesn't seem to make any real difference in that sense. The one that works still works even if I have key snap (C major) on, sync off. It seems to cheerfully preview any key's chords (just tried an Amaj7). It's very odd.

It has to be something silly I'm doing but it's getting a bit late here so I'll have another play with it next year (tomorrow). Chord Helper is really useful anyway so thanks for that and a Happy New Year.

Steve
Old 12-31-2016, 08:24 PM   #100
hopi

Understood about being patient on the velo stuff and waiting for arps, etc.

no rush at all...

Great to see this lua growing by leaps and bounds!
Old 12-31-2016, 10:26 PM   #101
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Nope, key snap is not on nor is Sync. And I've tried several different keys/modes and it always does the same.

Key snap doesn't seem to make any real difference in that sense. The one that works still works even if I have key snap (C major) on, sync off. It seems to cheerfully preview any key's chords (just tried an Amaj7). It's very odd.

It has to be something silly I'm doing but it's getting a bit late here so I'll have another play with it next year (tomorrow). Chord Helper is really useful anyway so thanks for that and a Happy New Year.

Steve
I can't think of any reason why the script would be doing that. The list it uses to show you all the chords is the same list it's playing them from. As with my response to someone else above, odds are you've found some particular combination of settings I didn't expect.

- What does it do if you choose the Chromatic scale? (xasman.reascale has Chromatic if you need it)

- If you watch the piano keys in the MIDI editor, are all of the correct notes being pressed? Or just the ones it's ending up playing?

- What VSTi are you playing through? Any chance it has a limited number of voices or something like that? It sounds dumb but I've done it once or twice.

- Any chance you can post a Licecap or a video if the issue?
Old 01-01-2017, 02:29 AM   #102
vanhaze

I just updated Reapack, and now, the errors i described in previous posts are gone !
Awesome !
Old 01-01-2017, 03:48 AM   #103
slipstick

Quote:
- What VSTi are you playing through? Any chance it has a limited number of voices or something like that? It sounds dumb but I've done it once or twice.
That's the one. I went back to good old Synth1 and it sprung into life. In the other VST I'd been playing about with the number of detuned unison voices and forgot that doing that limits the polyphonic voices.

Back to normal now. I'm glad it was just my stupidity and not a problem with Chord Helper.

Thanks for your patience - Steve
Old 01-01-2017, 08:54 AM   #104
Lokasenna

I'm just relieved that it wasn't me having done something weird.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #105
vanhaze

Sorry to be offtopic but i just wanted to state that, for me personally, Chordhelper is ReaScript of the Year 2016.

I am so happy with it !

Warm Regards.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #106
Lokasenna

Then you're going to be extra happy as soon as ReaPack updates. There's now a velocity slider, and inserting chords as arpeggios.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #107
dankan

Your tool is getting better and better. I can't find info about latest new features Relative/Parallel modes. How can i use them. When i press -/+ buttons nothing seems to happen and i can't figure out what to do with them.
Thank you again Lokasenna for great tool.
dankan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #108
Lokasenna

A "Help" button is one of the next things on my list.

Anyway, you have to have a .reascale loaded, and not have "Sync with editor" enabled. How to use the buttons:

Quote:
There's now a set of buttons that let you cycle through the modes of a given scale. For non-standard scales that don't have an existing mode in your .reascale, it'll just make up the next step and add a little "+1" or "-1" tag to let you know. I think the buttons should be self-explanatory, but just in case:

Relative shifts both the tonic and the scale: C Major --> D Dorian --> E Phrygian, etc.

Parallel will step through other modes of the current scale without shifting the tonic. i.e. C Major --> C Dorian --> C Phrygian, etc.
Just in case you aren't sure what "Modes" means: You basically take a scale - C Major, for instance - and make a new scale from the same notes. Going from D to D gives you the D Dorian scale, E to E gives you E Phrygian, etc. Because they all have the same notes, they're known as "relative modes" of each other.

Parallel modes are the same thing, but you only change the scale and not the root note.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #109
dankan

Thanks for info. I always hit sync that's why i wasn't able to use them. Sorry for trouble [i should read all posts more carefully].
dankan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #110
vanhaze

Quote:
A "Help" button is one of the next things on my list.

Anyway, you have to have a .reascale loaded, and not have "Sync with editor" enabled. How to use the buttons:

Just in case you aren't sure what "Modes" means: You basically take a scale - C Major, for instance - and make a new scale from the same notes. Going from D to D gives you the D Dorian scale, E to E gives you E Phrygian, etc. Because they all have the same notes, they're known as "relative modes" of each other.

Parallel modes are the same thing, but you only change the scale and not the root note.
For me, as a quite music theory noob, this is great info !
Old 01-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #111
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
For me, as a quite music theory noob, this is great info !
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-501-ModesIntro.php
Old 01-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #112
vanhaze

Useful 2.0, Thx !!
Old 01-01-2017, 07:00 PM   #113
Ozman

Firstly, I'm loving this script. It is really sonething that fills a songwriting gap in my favorite daw. I do have one suggestion though. Maybe, take into cosideration some of the workflow features of Toontrack ezkeys, primarily 2 parts: The circle of fifths and the sequencer.

First off, a rough progression, to be edited and previewed, then applied to the midi item would be quite useful.

And second, having inversions as well.

The circle of fifths is a fave among many.

When I saw news of Cubase's chord track, I was blown away only due to its integration with the daw itself, But I believe that ezkeys mixed (sequence/progression and second circle view <paired with degree view> of scale) with that is pretty much a perfect idea.

Just please consider that when planning future enhancements.

Thanks again for an awesome addition.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #114
Sju

This is really nice!

One thing I would find really useful is a way to quickly audition chords from parallel modes, without having to change the ReaScale setting.

Cheers and happy new year!

EDIT: oh and the ability to create/audition a progression would be nice too, as Ozman noted above ^
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #115
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
First off, a rough progression, to be edited and previewed, then applied to the midi item would be quite useful.
Being able to type in something like "1 1 4 1 5 1 5 4" and spit out those scale degrees as a progression is on my list, absolutely, but probably not any time soon. Adding progressions will probably necessitate another redesign of the interface, since I don't want the window to get too large.

It might just end up being a separate script.

Quote:
And second, having inversions as well.
Also on my list; the only reason I haven't added them is that I can't figure out an easy way to have users control them. Currently my best idea is to have you hold "1" when clicking for a first inversion, etc, but then you're holding "Shift-1" and so on to insert them and that seems really clunky to me. Suggestions are more than welcome.

Open voicings are also on the list, but I have the same problem there.

(Keep in mind that any solutions need to work for various sizes of chords. We've only got 3- and 4-note chords now, but eventually I'd like to have some sort of Jazz chord set and those guys get pretty stupid with their chords.)

Quote:
The circle of fifths is a fave among many.
This one would be really easy, in theory. I've never really used the circle of fifths myself, though, so:

1. How should it be presented? Is it sufficient to simply add a couple more buttons beside the existing Mode options, or do we need to actually see the wheel diagram?

2. What should happen when you use it to shift? Just bump the tonic up/down 7 semitones?

3. Does the mode change with it?

Quote:
Thanks again for an awesome addition.
Cheers.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #116
Ozman

It would be useful to have an interactive wheel/circle which triggers the chords. If a small sequencer is implemented later, u can either drag from the wheel or from the current degrees table.

It could function much like the degrees table (same actions and updated when the scale is changed), but simpler in text displayed... actually a lot like ezkeys.

Inversions can be done like ezkeys to start, just a combo/number box to iterate through them.

In regards to how the circle is summoned and where displayed, there can be a button which toggles between the degrees view and the circle. Or can be extended off to the side if screen real-estate isnt an issue.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #117
zacki

Hi Lokasenna,

first I want to say thank you for this great helper

I've encountered a thing when inserting a chord between two existing chords. Don't know if it's a setting...?

https://stash.reaper.fm/29433/chord_helper_insert.gif
Old 01-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #118
Lokasenna

That's a MIDI editor bug - it's fixed in the current Reaper prereleases if you need it now, or the next official release if it's not urgent.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #119
hopi

love the arp's... super nice thanks for growing this beauty!

It is so good it should be a part of the reaper package... but of course the DEV's first have to get rid of that VMK limitation
Old 01-11-2017, 02:57 AM   #120
pvdplaat

Awesome, i was looking for this kind of feature

Many thanks for the effort
pvdplaat is offline   Reply With Quote