Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 09-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #41
Alistair S
Human being with feelings

Received an unexpected tax rebate in the post this morning, just as I was looking the these again.

Now ordered. Sent an email to check that they will be set to work on 230V, which I believe they will do for me at the same price.

They'll be a while, but half the joy in new toys is waiting for them

Edit: Apparently despatched today.. and will be 230V. Excellent.

Last edited by Alistair S; 09-22-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #42
ringing phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed Spirit View Post
sometimes, if you really want something, it pays to ask

I'm not in Australia, but I wasn't on the list either.
I already have sweet sweet Mackie MR5's and even some M-Audio BX5's...they're good enough to get me into trouble
Old 09-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #43
Untamed Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringing phone View Post
I already have sweet sweet Mackie MR5's and even some M-Audio BX5's...they're good enough to get me into trouble
fair enough, I was just giving you an option that you didn't seem to think you had.
Untamed Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #44
the all new rob

Mine arrived today, I just got done setting them up and calibrating them to the
Quote:
-20dbFS = 0dbVU = 83 db measured at the speaker
"standard." Now I'm listening to some of my mixes. I'm pretty pleased. Well worth the money. I have a hard time comparing them to current competitive products since I don't own any.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:05 AM   #45
EpicSounds

Pretty interesting, design. Insane price.

Tony, since we're both in Vancouver, do you have time to meet up soon for a listening test?

~Jon~
Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #46
the all new rob

I'd be curious to see RoomEQWizard graphs from other D5 owners. I'm seeing a pronounced spike in my room response in the 3-5K area, and I am wondering if it's the speakers (seems unthinkable). I am setting up to do near field measurement on a speaker now with REW, just wanted to know if others see this.

Also the phase diagram in REW looks crazy, tens of thousands of degrees of shift from one end of the spectrum to the other. I'm new at REW, but I think it's not user error. I'll post my graphs later today.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #47
Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
I am supposed to receive them friday. This weekend doesnt yet seem busy, so hopefully ill have a review
What's your experience with them, Jason?
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #48
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aste View Post
What's your experience with them, Jason?
unfortunately, I was too busy to meet the fed ex guy, and may not even be able to get them tomorrow. Tuesday looks like the next day I will be able to be here...
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #49
ObiK

Take your time to make a good assessment of them! Looking forward to hearing your opinion on em!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:48 AM   #50
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Pretty interesting, design. Insane price.

Tony, since we're both in Vancouver, do you have time to meet up soon for a listening test?

~Jon~
My schedule is nutbar for the next two months...pile of recording for Band-In-A-Box this month, and my live performance schedule really starts to spike in November... will see what we can do! PM your coordinates to me.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #51
Jae.Thomas

My girlfriend intercepted the Package :-) been gone since 6 am and getting back at 10 after some wings and drinks at a local pub but tomorrow I'll be checking them out
Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #52
Jae.Thomas

got em unboxed...

now, where the hell do I put em? How do I integrate them with my current speakers? Can I even do that?

I put em on the desk in front of me, certainly not perfectly positioned and the bass is REALLY tight, there does seem to be a high end boost but it could also be that my current monitors don't appropriately reveal the high end so this could actually help me make my mixes less harsh...

As soon as I figure out where to put these suckers (they are small!!!! half the size of my truth monitors!) I will report back.

what would be the best orientation for these?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #53
Tonehenge

I've been comparing them with a pair of Energy RC 2, which have (I thought) a pretty linear response through the upper midrange. Now, I'm thinking they are a touch light in that area, with the d5 providing more detail. Actually, significantly more detail. The revelation will be when I start mixing, ( which I have) and see how things translate. As for potential phase irregularities, I don't hear anything that leads me to believe there is anything to this. So far, I love 'em!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #54
Jae.Thomas

ok so here's how i have them oriented at the moment. I realize it is not ideal.

I basically raised the behri truths up a bit, put the equator audios on auralex stuff pointing up at me from the desk. I have to test for equidistance, and get it right, but does this even resemble "ok" ?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #55
Tonehenge

Quote:

I basically raised the behri truths up a bit, put the equator audios on auralex stuff pointing up at me from the desk. I have to test for equidistance, and get it right, but does this even resemble "ok" ?

Well, your head is quite a bit off axis, even with that slight tilt, and I would be concerned about a lot of reflection off of the surface of the desk....
Old 09-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #56
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonehenge View Post
Well, your head is quite a bit off axis, even with that slight tilt, and I would be concerned about a lot of reflection off of the surface of the desk....
I could get more of a tilt with another one of those .... but yeah, obviously the desk is going to reflect quite a bit... not really sure how else to evaluate these without committing...

anyhow, one of the speakers seems to have a bit of a "farting" noise coming from behind it...

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 09-27-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #57
drybij

^^^^ love the coffee cans!!!!!!
drybij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #58
Tonehenge

Quote:
I could get more of a tilt with another one of those .... but yeah, obviously the desk is going to reflect quite a bit... not really sure how else to evaluate these without committing...

anyhow, one of the speakers seems to have a bit of a "farting" noise coming from behind it...
Does the fart sound mechanical or electronic?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #59
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonehenge View Post
Does the fart sound mechanical or electronic?
it sounded like something was rattling inside of it in coincidence with bass - so i felt around the back and made sure nothing was loose...

I switched the audio cables to make sure something wasnt awry in the connection, it is definitely the one speaker.

I emailed their contact email, hopefully I can sort this out. It is indeed revealing different things in my mixes. But I dont want to drop money into "properly" (soundwise) installing them and getting a monitor switching system until i know these are OK.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #60
Donnie B.

Quote:
it sounded like something was rattling inside of it in coincidence with bass - so i felt around the back and made sure nothing was loose...
Hi Jason,

I am one of the engineers that helped develop the D5s as well as Equator's Q series. You should be getting an email response very soon from either Marty or Ted. I think what might be happening is that the wires running from the transducer are leaning against the port tube inside the speaker. In this scenario they will rattle at certain resonance frequencies.

How mechanically adept are you?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #61
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
Hi Jason,

I am one of the engineers that helped develop the D5s as well as Equator's Q series. You should be getting an email response very soon from either Marty or Ted. I think what might be happening is that the wires running from the transducer are leaning against the port tube inside the speaker. In this scenario they will rattle at certain resonance frequencies.

How mechanically adept are you?
I made my own patch bay thingy once... I can solder and take things apart without destroying them, but I don't know exactly how to answer that, im shocked at your quick response. Its like WHOA customer support.

thanks !!!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #62
Donnie B.

Quote:
I made my own patch bay thingy once... I can solder and take things apart without destroying them, but I don't know exactly how to answer that, im shocked at your quick response. Its like WHOA customer support.

thanks !!!!!
I know our support group mentioned trying to tighten the screws. I'm thinking it's the wires for sure. Lie the speaker face down being careful not to damage the driver, and then remove the amp panel screws. Then carefully lift the amp off of the enclosure being careful not to pull it off too far. Then rotate the amp 360 degrees which will twist the speaker wires. Re-install the amp and see if the rattle is gone.

If yes, cool! If not let me know and we'll keep at it. Worst case you can send it back to Equator and we'll make things right.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #63
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
I know our support group mentioned trying to tighten the screws. I'm thinking it's the wires for sure. Lie the speaker face down being careful not to damage the driver, and then remove the amp panel screws. Then carefully lift the amp off of the enclosure being careful not to pull it off too far. Then rotate the amp 360 degrees which will twist the speaker wires. Re-install the amp and see if the rattle is gone.

If yes, cool! If not let me know and we'll keep at it. Worst case you can send it back to Equator and we'll make things right.
excellent. I was hoping for a solution that DIDNT include me sending them back!!!!

Will do.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #64
Jae.Thomas

ok, i see how the wires could easily rattle against the port in there. I think It may have gotten better, but I am not sure. Should I keep twisting them or otherwise attempt to secure them?

Do you want pictures?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #65
Donnie B.

Quote:
ok, i see how the wires could easily rattle against the port in there. I think It may have gotten better, but I am not sure. Should I keep twisting them or otherwise attempt to secure them?

Do you want pictures?
Lying them on their side might also be part of the issue. Yes, if you can just kinda tuck them away from the port that should work. Let me know.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #66
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Lying them on their side might also be part of the issue. Yes, if you can just kinda tuck them away from the port that should work. Let me know.

Thanks.
It happens whilst upright as well. there is definitely something loose on that panel (or maybe the wires attached), it isn't the driver.

Here is something interesting. I was trying to localize where the issue was coming from, and I plugged in an XLR (I am using TRS atm) and it got softer. Which means to me, either the issue is directly behind the XLR or it is part of the XLR input. Should I continue this through email or on here? I dont want to clog it up on this thread but I promise to bring back my experience here when all is said and done
Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #67
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Yes, shoot me an email
done. and thanks for your prompt and really awesome response. I have confidence this will be nailed down

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 09-27-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #68
drybij

maybe there's some nuts in those coffee cans.

they say they're chock full of 'em, after all.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #69
JHughes
Banned

Quote:

JBM, that is the worst way you could mount those speakers. One of their strong suits is imaging which you've absolutely destroyed. Comb filtering from the desk, ALL KINDS of resonances from the desk that the Auralex will doing nothing for, they're not at ear level, I could go on. And the dispersion pattern is probably not optimized for horizontal mounting.

At least put them where your Truths are. I don't put speakers on any kind of work surface any more. That kind of mounting makes even cheap PC speakers sound worse.

I'm extremely interested in the outcome of your QC issues.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #70
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
JBM, that is the worst way you could mount those speakers. One of their strong suits is imaging which you've absolutely destroyed. Comb filtering from the desk, ALL KINDS of resonances from the desk that the Auralex will doing nothing for, they're not at ear level, I could go on. And the dispersion pattern is probably not optimized for horizontal mounting.

At least put them where your Truths are. I don't put speakers on any kind of work surface any more. That kind of mounting makes even cheap PC speakers sound worse.

I'm extremely interested in the outcome of your QC issues.
well, one has to keep in mind that I have a room that is medium sized, and has to double as a mixing room, and a performance room. It is far from ideal. So, there is a baseline of issues already. However, above that baseline, I have produced some decent mixes. So, I can do it...

First off, someone earlier in the thread said they could be placed on their side. If that is not the case, I will certainly have to change that.

Secondly, I may want to keep my truth monitors as well (regardless of what some may think of them I've had them 7 years now without a hitch and I am used to them)- so I need to figure out how to get both sets of speakers integrated into my setup. Especially for now, since I am not currently sold on the D5's.

The auralex are not even meant for sound dampening. I realize their decoupling effect is minimal at best, I bought them when I got the truths at the behest of an eager sales rep. I am using them to tilt the D5's nothing more.

I am just trying my best to demo these... I realize that its far from ideal, even on top of my far from ideal baseline in my studio.

As far as the QC issues, for me, this rates in the top tier of customer support. I'll have the issue taken care of quite soon. What is most impressive to me is the amount of effort they are putting in a product line which is so far below the average in price compared to all of their other products. I appreciate that.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #71
JHughes
Banned

Well, I'm just saying that if you can't even temporarily get them off the desk then you'll never know what they really sound like.

I hope Equator has a person on the line in China. Early QC issues can cost a lot of money.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #72
drybij

Just hooked mine up...

I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff, and my previous monitors were crap (Samson Resolv 65a), But I can say that they have a tight bottom and a clear midrange. Not too trebly.

I tried out one of my mixes and I think I'm hearing things in the acoustic guitars that I couldn't before. I hope it's not just my imagination.

I will be hooking up my previous monitors so I can do a more thorough comparison. I gotta haul some more cinder blocks down into my basement.

And now start seriously thinking about acoustic treatment...

(And re-run cables, and I might as well organize them while I'm at it... you get the idea)
Old 09-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #73
the all new rob

My previous monitors were JBL Control 1's from 1990 (passive). I didn't have a big epiphany when hooking up the D5's but they do appear to let me hear everything in my mixes. It's really hard for me to evaluate them objectively since I just finished installing room treatment at the same time I got these.

The published specs say
Quote:
Frequency Response: 53Hz - 20kHz
and my measured result was +/- 15dB within that range

I'm real curious if others are getting a flatter curve.

My measurement chain was ECM8000 -> Edirol UA-25 -> Room EQ Wizard 5.01beta7 (ASIO). Above was measured 3" from the center of the tweeter.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #74
Donnie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the all new rob View Post
My measurement chain was ECM8000 -> Edirol UA-25 -> Room EQ Wizard 5.01beta7 (ASIO). Above was measured 3" from the center of the tweeter.

The industry standard and what was used to measure the D5s is a distance of 1 meter directly on axis. They were also measured in an anechoic chamber.

3" is much too close to try and get a comparative FR curve.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #75
EpicSounds

Quote:

Besides both sets being at the wrong height, both sets of speakers are far too narrow. You need 50-60" between to get a decent stereo image.
Looks like you're really close to a wall too. I keep just enough space to walk behind the desk.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #76
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Besides both sets being at the wrong height, both sets of speakers are far too narrow. You need 50-60" between to get a decent stereo image.
I am going to get proper stands for those when i am certain i want to keep them - until then the next step is to replace where the behringers are with them, until i figure out how to properly do a multimonitor setup.

Quote:
Looks like you're really close to a wall too. I keep just enough space to walk behind the desk.
that is simply impossible in my situation. I have some treatment behind and a little bit of space. There will be more space when I test the smaller (newer) monitors only. It's never been a problem before, I don't forsee a massive problem, as long as I get everything right-ish.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #77
roygbiv

Hey Jason

Could you just temporarily flip your Truth monitors on their side, and put the D5's on top of them? - looks like that might be an arrangement that would have the tweeters roughly at ear level, avoid the desk reflections, and most importantly wouldn't take too much time to try them out in a better arrangement.

(I'm intrigued to see what you think of these, hence my somewhat impertinent and unsolicited suggestion about how to arrange your speakers!)
roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #78
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
Hey Jason

Could you just temporarily flip your Truth monitors on their side, and put the D5's on top of them? - looks like that might be an arrangement that would have the tweeters roughly at ear level, avoid the desk reflections, and most importantly wouldn't take too much time to try them out in a better arrangement.

(I'm intrigued to see what you think of these, hence my somewhat impertinent and unsolicited suggestion about how to arrange your speakers!)
not a bad idea, thanks!

so the beri's could be on their side?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #79
Donnie B.

Quote:
so the beri's could be on their side?
Experiment! Some people dig sideways, some don't. It's all up to you.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #80
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Experiment! Some people dig sideways, some don't. It's all up to you.
wait, are we still talking about studio monitors?