Old 06-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default v5.979+dev0619 - June 19 2019

v5.979+dev0619 - June 19 2019

+ Localization: improve alignment of various auto-resized controls when arranged in columns [p=2146661]
+ Notation editor: properly chase clef changes when media items overlap [t=219859]
# Crossfade editor: fix UI glitches with language packs [p=2146661]
# Retina arrange: fix text background drawing issue [p=2148309]
# Theme: tcp.fxparm.font obeys second parameter for row height, third/fourth parameters can specify min/max width of item
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
+ Notation editor: properly chase clef changes when media items overlap
Very good! Seems to also fix the case when this happened and items were several measures apart.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
mustgroove

Ghosting when drawing MIDI items is fixed for me in this build, thanks!

Contrary to my post in the thread for the previous build though, I am having GUI sluggishness with this build on my iMac Pro. Everything lags behind the mouse cursor when clicking + dragging anything, and the overall feel of the everything is extremely "low frame rate".

On my MacBook Pro with this build, things are fine. It's not ultra-smooth 60fps or anything like that, but there's no sense of everything feeling laggy and jerky whatsoever, Reaper is quite useable.

On both machines though, resizing the Reaper window to a much smaller size creates a drastic improvement in both lag and the perception of "frame rate", everything comes closer to feeling "ultra smooth" (although it doesn't quite get there).

Despite having Vega 64 graphics on my iMac Pro, Reaper is really struggling to draw a maximised window. Is there anything that can be done to improve UI responsiveness overall for Macs with 5K screens?
mustgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Contrary to my post in the thread for the previous build though, I am having GUI sluggishness with this build on my iMac Pro.
Have you tried setting the display colorspace to 'Generic RGB'? This is a couple of years old but might still apply: https://1014.org/?article=697

(Those big retina displays support 10-bit color and the macOS-provided color correction is incredibly slow!)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
Peevy

Quote:
v5.979+dev0619 - June 19 2019
# Retina arrange: fix text background drawing issue [p=2148309]

Is this referring to the issue in the pic below?

Because it's still happening when tracks are set to smallest height with the v6 theme. This didn't start happening until 5.979+dev0618
Old 06-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
mustgroove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Have you tried setting the display colorspace to 'Generic RGB'? This is a couple of years old but might still apply: https://1014.org/?article=697

(Those big retina displays support 10-bit color and the macOS-provided color correction is incredibly slow!)
I mentioned colour profiles in the thread for the previous build, the one that everyone seems to recommend switching to is sRGB IEC61966-2.1 - it does provide some improvement in performance but it's not a total cure, it just reduces the lag to the point where it's more useable.

I prefer not to change colour profiles because it messes up the colours too much, I find it pretty distracting, but also I find I get the same level of lag mitigation from Low Res mode with the default colour profile.

I just tried the Generic RGB profile and the change in colours is even more drastic, it's pretty much unusable.

Is there anything that can be done in Reaper to help this situation?
mustgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
Is this referring to the issue in the pic below?

Because it's still happening when tracks are set to smallest height with the v6 theme. This didn't start happening until 5.979+dev0618
Hmm, latest v6 alpha theme? I can't reproduce that here, any custom swell scaling or UI scaling enabled? Does it do it with a fresh portable install?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:08 AM   #8
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm, latest v6 alpha theme? I can't reproduce that here, any custom swell scaling or UI scaling enabled? Does it do it with a fresh portable install?

I'll be sure to check that out asap but just off the top of my head I think I do have some custom swell going on for font size & colours in menus.

OOPS! I checked my reaper.ini & I had UI_scale set to 1.15 & UI_scale_auto set to 0, Although this didn't seem to cause any issue pre v5.979+dev0618. I've set these back to 1 & that's fixed the issue but the menu fonts are bit too small now for my poor bespectacled eyes

EDIT: I changed the font size in my lib-swell file so that's me sorted for now. Sorry if I've wasted your time Justin

Last edited by Peevy; 06-20-2019 at 03:25 AM.
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:41 AM   #9
Edison

Default Bug?

[QUOTE=airon;2148732]v5.979+dev0619 - June 19 2019
# Crossfade editor: fix UI glitches with language packs [p=2146661]

Error in the area marked in red for translation. See the pics.

Last edited by Edison; 08-12-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:25 AM   #10
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
# Theme: tcp.fxparm.font obeys second parameter for row height, third/fourth parameters can specify min/max width of item

Thanks Justin! Back to normal...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
strachupl

Quote:

Code:
        set tcp.fxparm  [655 43 120 733 1 0 1 1]
        set tcp.fxparm.font [4 19 1 119]

1st track only parameters
2nd track only embed plugin
3rd both

Looks like third example shows for custom themes embed plugin can appear on parameters. It would be nice to fix this.
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #12
JamesPeters

Default Custom font choice affects CPU use?

Here's a little something that caught me off guard. It seems the choice of font for the menus (in Reaper for Linux) can affect the CPU.

I had edited the libSwell.colortheme file on my system while using MX Linux (using XFCE desktop environment), changing the font to Noto Sans (and making the font sizes a bit larger). It seemed to work fine. Noto Sans fonts are included in MX Linux, a significant number of them.

Now I'm using Linux Mint (XFCE). By default it also has the Noto Sans font family (including additional variants). I imported all my previous Reaper settings (since it was a SSD format / new OS install) so when I started Reaper it was using that same libSwell.colortheme file. However it seemed the menus were sluggish. Opening the "options" menu for instance (since it's a long menu, good for this test) and moving the mouse cursor up/down, the highlighted menu option lagged behind the cursor significantly. Also my CPU spiked (I could hear the fan spinning up).

When I (finally) tried a font other than Noto Sans (Open Sans for instance) in the libSwell.colortheme file, the menu responsiveness returned to normal and the CPU didn't spike nearly as high (probably a normal amount under the circumstances).

I could guess that using certain fonts in a theme might also increase CPU and make things more sluggish. (So I switched all my custom fonts to Open Sans just in case.)

I don't know why in Linux Mint XFCE this would be any different (same DE, using the same window manager/appearance/DPI/etc. settings as MX Linux since I'd made notes of all of it and set it up exactly the same in Mint as I'd done in MX), except for the fact I notice there are lots more Noto Sans family font variants installed (it seems there are ~2x the number as MX Linux, which is kind of insane). Perhaps if the font chosen in Reaper is part of a very large installed font family, it has something to do with it? (Just a blind stab in the dark.)

It's not a huge deal since there are lots of fonts a person can use. But this might help narrow down some of the "sluggish UI" complaints happening especially with MacOS.

If you want me to test something further, let me know. I don't plan to switch distros again for a while, but other than that I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 06-22-2019 at 04:16 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #13
Tod

On Reaper v5.979+dev0618, some of the actions have stopped working. I ran into one yesterday and a couple earlier today, which
I've forgotten, but I ran into one just now and decided to post it in case others might be experiencing this too.

This is the one that stopped working for me a little while ago.

SWS/BR: Select envelope at mouse cursor

I'll try keep a list from now on.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:45 AM   #14
DANIELE

Hi devs, could you look at this too?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....80#post2150280

I think it is a bug.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #15
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
On Reaper v5.979+dev0618, some of the actions have stopped working. I ran into one yesterday and a couple earlier today, which
I've forgotten, but I ran into one just now and decided to post it in case others might be experiencing this too.

This is the one that stopped working for me a little while ago.

SWS/BR: Select envelope at mouse cursor

I'll try keep a list from now on.
Well I got the action I listed above back, it stopped working and then started working again. Maybe that's whats going on with the othe actions I mentioned.

Another on and off again problem is when I want to RightClick-Lasso audio items to select them, sometimes it just stops working and I have to use Ctrl+LeftClick to select the items.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #16
nofish

@Tod

I tested this action here too with current +dev version, works here also, so not sure what's going on...

Btw. as it's about an SWS action in this case, probably better to post in the SWS thread or (in case of SWS related bugs / FRs) on the SWS issue tracker.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #17
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
@Tod

I tested this action here too with current +dev version, works here also, so not sure what's going on...

Btw. as it's about an SWS action in this case, probably better to post in the SWS thread or (in case of SWS related bugs / FRs) on the SWS issue tracker.
Thanks nofish, you're probably right, but when it started happening for the first time with these latest Reaper installs I naturally suspected the installs.

Actually I'm not so sure. Today I installed 5.979 we'll see how that goes.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #18
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
Code:
        set tcp.fxparm  [655 43 120 733 1 0 1 1]
        set tcp.fxparm.font [4 19 1 119]

1st track only parameters
2nd track only embed plugin
3rd both

Looks like third example shows for custom themes embed plugin can appear on parameters. It would be nice to fix this.
Excuse me! What is this? Seems like a inspector .. I never had something similar to this. How do I achieve this?
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #19
deeb

Between Justin avatar seems like he is reacting to my feature requests!
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #20
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Excuse me! What is this? Seems like a inspector .. I never had something similar to this. How do I achieve this?
It is just normal track with my own theme with parameters wide thanks to this update and embeded cockos plugins.
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote