Old 04-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default Keylab 88 vs ???

I bought the first Minilab when it was still $99. I love it. The upgrades have been enormous, especially Analog Lab 3. It suits all my synth and key needs.

However, the more I use it, the less I'm satisfied with the teeny controller. I can't record a take in one pass. This is particularly time-consuming for piano parts.

My first instrument was piano many years ago and while I migrated to guitar, I still retain the impulse to reach for a piano when I need to sort out harmonies and whatnot.

I'd love to upgrade to an 88-key hammer action controller, but the pricing is ridiculous. People give away 100-year-old hand-made upright pianos, but a MIDI controller is $1000-1500?! Am I crazy or is that nuts?

Anyway, does anyone know whether Arturia offers upgrade discounts for pre-existing customers? I don't really need Piano V or anything other package that comes with the Keylab 88. I just want the MIDI control.

Barring that, any suggestions for affordable alternatives? Anyone have something like this cluttering their studio they'd like to get rid of?
Old 04-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
TheMaartian

I've been waiting for Native Instrument's S88 to go on sale. Good thing I'm not holding my breath.

I doubt that you'll find a "loyalty" discount on Arturia's hardware. Or anybody's hardware for that matter (not counting U.S.-manufactured pickup trucks).

And wait until the next time you run Arturia's software manager. V7 is here, along with Analog Lab 4. More long downloads!
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaartian View Post
I've been waiting for Native Instrument's S88 to go on sale. Good thing I'm not holding my breath.

I doubt that you'll find a "loyalty" discount on Arturia's hardware. Or anybody's hardware for that matter (not counting U.S.-manufactured pickup trucks).
DAMMIT! They've been pushing their compressors, pres, and filters at me for a couple months now. I don't need those, as cool as they look. I hate that we're slaves to what companies want to sell us, rather than being able to bargain on what we actually need. That's another discussion entirely.

I had an M-Audio 61 key controller for about a week. I hated the action. It was painful to use. I'm not exaggerating. That synth action is really irritating. If you're used to analog synths, then I suppose you're used to knob twiddling for expression. I'm a "classical" musician. I've spent a lifetime developing the skills to manipulate an instrument. Mouse-clicking and menu-surfing is a huge creative turn-off for me. No judgement, if it helps anyone express themselves it's good. It just doesn't help me.

Last edited by kirk1701; 04-25-2019 at 11:34 AM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
DAMMIT! They've been pushing their compressors, pres, and filters at me for a couple months now. I don't need those, as cool as they look. I hate that we're slaves to what companies want to sell us, rather than being able to bargain on what we actually need. That's another discussion entirely.

I had an M-Audio 61 key controller for about a week. I hated the action. It was painful to use. I'm not exaggerating. That synth action is really irritating. If you're used to analog synths, then I suppose you're used to knob twiddling for expression. I'm a "classical" musician. I've spent a lifetime developing the skills to manipulate an instrument. Mouse-clicking and menu-surfing is a huge creative turn-off for me. No judgement, if it helps anyone express themselves it's good. It just doesn't help me.
Hear you.... if I were you, I'd get a 73-key Studiologic SL73 Studio controller ($500 new) or the SL88 (same price!) and a SIMPLE midi controller (encoders/knobs) for tweaking anything you need... the Minilab gets the job done. Or a Behringer X-touch Mini, or Beatstep.

It's a small investment... but you get great key feel (weighted), MIDI capability... and enough keys to get the job done. Minimal investment. You don't need an NI S88 MK2 ($1050). Just get the keys, and a tiny controller you can sit on top of it, for tweaking. Two devices are a lot cheaper than an all-in-one.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #5
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Hear you.... if I were you, I'd get a 73-key Studiologic SL73 Studio controller ($500 new) or the SL88 (same price!) and a SIMPLE midi controller (encoders/knobs) for tweaking anything you need... the Minilab gets the job done. Or a Behringer X-touch Mini, or Beatstep.

It's a small investment... but you get great key feel (weighted), MIDI capability... and enough keys to get the job done. Minimal investment. You don't need an NI S88 MK2 ($1050). Just get the keys, and a tiny controller you can sit on top of it, for tweaking. Two devices are a lot cheaper than an all-in-one.
Good advice! I do have the OG Minilab. Arturia released Analog Lab 4 this week. Downloading now. Looking forward to the Mellotron.

I'll have a closer look at the SL88.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:46 PM   #6
themixtape

Quote:
Good advice! I do have the OG Minilab. Arturia released Analog Lab 4 this week. Downloading now. Looking forward to the Mellotron.

I'll have a closer look at the SL88.
Awesome. Yeah I really love those Studiologic Studio boards. I think it's the same keybed as on the Nord Stage 3 (the 76 and 88 key versions). Great feel, in my opinion.

If you're looking to save a tiny bit more money... go for a Casio PX-160 or CDP-135... the feel of those boards is GREAT and they're cheap. Internal sounds suck, but that's to be expected. But as a controller, they're super dope.

Any used Yamaha "P" series piano is worth it, too.. P-95, P-120, P-85, P-35 (all of those have MIDI in/out btw) but the P-45 doesn't (just USB, still fine though).

I'm no amazing keyboardist by any means but I have to have a weighted board AND synth-action board in my studio, or several of various brands.

My main studio workhorse is a Nord Stage 3 76HP... love it (and the uprights/grands within)... I also have a Yamaha P-121 (their very first 73-key digital piano... some damn good sounds inside it... a pleasant surprise)... also have a Casio CDP-135 that I'm letting a friend borrow at the moment.

Used to have a Casio PX-5s (again, great-feeling board)... used to also have a Yamaha P-60 (excellent feel and piano sound.. heavy and HUGE though)...

The Studiologic boards are well worth the money, I think. I'm likely picking up an SL73 as soon as they're back in stock. The 88 is the same price... might opt for that instead, I don't know.

For synth-action stuff... I have an Arturia Keylab 49 MK2, Keylab Essential 49, and lots of mini-key stuff (Minilab MK2, Keystep, Axiom Air Mini 32 by M-Audio, and an NI Komplete Kontrol S49 (MK1).

Needless to say, I love keyboards. haha.

Which M-Audio 61-key board did you have btw? The Axiom series (Mk2 especially, the ones with the screen in the center) feel pretty good, all things considered.

"Mouse-clicking and menu-surfing is a huge creative turn-off for me. No judgement, if it helps anyone express themselves it's good. It just doesn't help me."

Hear ya. Nothing more annoying than mouse-clicking and menu-diving. That's one of the reasons I own a Nord. Depending on your budget, I'd consider buying a used Nord Piano 2 or 3 (the 88s). Price is good used, and they feel great... superb sounds... like ZERO menu-diving. Plus, you get a decent sample synth section, which is fun.. again, no mousing.

Something you should also consider is a Control Surface for Reaper... like the Behringer X-Touch or something.... it's so nice having motorized faders, mute/solo/record... transport... very little mousing. I use the mouse out of necessity but try to get the "hardware feel" with everything I do. It's just more fun that way.

Last edited by themixtape; 04-25-2019 at 10:51 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #7
kirk1701

I was in on the ground floor with the Faderport. It's great. I use the mouse and keyboard, but I don't like editing MIDI with it. I'd rather just play the part in real time. It's really time-consuming to draw in notes, then add expression later. Waste of time.

I think I had an M-Audio Oxygen. I didn't have it long enough to have a clear memory. It definitely didn't have a screen.

I took piano from the time I could read (grade one in Canada) all the way through high school. Then I switched to guitar. So I have well-developed fingers. When I strike a piano key, I strike it with authority. So if there's no resistance on a keybed, I hit the plastic bottom hard.

Last edited by kirk1701; 04-26-2019 at 08:20 AM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
themixtape

Quote:
I was in on the ground floor with the Faderport. It's great. I use the mouse and keyboard, but I don't like editing MIDI with it. I'd rather just play the part in real time. It's really time-consuming to draw in notes, then add expression later. Waste of time.

I think I had an M-Audio Oxygen. I didn't have it long enough to have a clear memory. It definitely didn't have a screen.

I took piano from the time I could read (grade one in Canada) all the way through high school. Then I switched to guitar. So I have well-developed fingers. When I strike a piano key, I strike it with authority. So if there's no resistance on a keybed, I hit the plastic bottom hard.
Right on.. yeah, take a look at the Studiologics or a used Yamaha P... I honestly LOVE the feel of the Yamaha P95, P85, P60, P35, etc... I think they have the best feel of all the weighted digital pianos/midi controllers... but the newer Casios are really good, too. If you are classically-trained, definitely try some of them out, or take a chance on the Studiologics... they're never in stores, but worth the investment. Also, sometimes there are good, helpful reviews on YouTube... not always though. A lot of people are just like "here's my new digital piano! It's so cool. It's got 88 keys. And I like the look of it"
Old 04-26-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
kirk1701

I really hate gear. It's all overpriced and never what you actually need.