Old 05-21-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
theRog
Human being with feelings

Default Softube Console 1 Fader Automation issue

I love Softube Console 1 Fader but have one little issue I'd like to address and ask if someone has experience with.

I am trying to automate volume using the Console 1 Fader.
I work in Reaper's Touch mode - therefore only changing volume automation when I touch the Fader.

Let's say I touch the fader and pull down by 10 dB and hold it steady the Automation envelope jumps back and forth between -10 dB and 0 dB. Giving an unusable envelope on playback!

I have set Reaper automation to jump back to 0 dB within 100ms as soon I let go of the fader of course it would get better when using a value of 1s but that's not the solution.

It seems to me that the touch information is not constantly updating and therefore the envelope goes back to 0dB although I still touch it :-(

Anyone having this as well? Or is it just me?

Thanks for any help on this :-)

Best Roger
theRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:28 PM   #2
inertia

Which surface controller driver are you using with the Console 1? I can give it a test if you let me know your setup.
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:26 AM   #3
theRog

I am not sure I understand your question...
I use the "Control 1 VST3 plugin" I have to use on every channel I like to control with the Consol 1 Fader.
In the plugin settings I choose "DAW control" ie controlling the DAW Fader, DAW Pot, DAW Solo and DAW Mute directly.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Roger
Old 05-22-2020, 12:50 AM   #4
inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRog View Post
I am not sure I understand your question...
I use the "Control 1 VST3 plugin" I have to use on every channel I like to control with the Consol 1 Fader.
In the plugin settings I choose "DAW control" ie controlling the DAW Fader, DAW Pot, DAW Solo and DAW Mute directly.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Roger
Yes ok, i don't actually use the VST plugin but use it as a MIDI controller with the Control Surface Integrator.

I would report it as a bug with Softtube but my experience of their customer service is pretty dire. They are not fast at all with new releases and bug fixes and they pretty much take the summer off.

This is actually one of the reasons I stopped using their VST as it wasn't working with my computer since i purchased the unit and after 6 months waiting for a fix i lost patience.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:57 AM   #5
theRog

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia View Post
Yes ok, i don't actually use the VST plugin but use it as a MIDI controller with the Control Surface Integrator.

I would report it as a bug with Softtube but my experience of their customer service is pretty dire. They are not fast at all with new releases and bug fixes and they pretty much take the summer off.

This is actually one of the reasons I stopped using their VST as it wasn't working with my computer since i purchased the unit and after 6 months waiting for a fix i lost patience.
Right, I'll do that then. Apart from this automation issue (touch information not getting through correctly) my Console 1 Fader works nicely though.

Thanks for your information,
Roger
Old 05-22-2020, 01:31 AM   #6
inertia

The bug I had was the 3D graphics in the overlay UI not working, regardless of the DAW. The plugin without the overlay interface worked fine as did the controls but nothing was responsive on the overlay.

I did write a little rant about their customer services but didn't want to appear as whinging so removed it lol

Hope you get your problem sorted soon.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:11 AM   #7
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia View Post
The bug I had was the 3D graphics in the overlay UI not working, regardless of the DAW. The plugin without the overlay interface worked fine as did the controls but nothing was responsive on the overlay.

I did write a little rant about their customer services but didn't want to appear as whinging so removed it lol

Hope you get your problem sorted soon.
That's todo with the OpenGL options I believe. Try enabling them using another plugin, or via the c1 VST3 if possible.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:13 AM   #8
ramses

Quote:
I love Softube Console 1 Fader but have one little issue I'd like to address and ask if someone has experience with.

I am trying to automate volume using the Console 1 Fader.
I work in Reaper's Touch mode - therefore only changing volume automation when I touch the Fader.

Let's say I touch the fader and pull down by 10 dB and hold it steady the Automation envelope jumps back and forth between -10 dB and 0 dB. Giving an unusable envelope on playback!

I have set Reaper automation to jump back to 0 dB within 100ms as soon I let go of the fader of course it would get better when using a value of 1s but that's not the solution.

It seems to me that the touch information is not constantly updating and therefore the envelope goes back to 0dB although I still touch it :-(

Anyone having this as well? Or is it just me?

Thanks for any help on this :-)

Best Roger
What mode are you using? Daw-control mode or the other one? My experience is that automation works as expected using daw-control mode, but is a bit more complex using the other mode, since you will then have to arm the parameter of the plugin itself in order to write it.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:52 AM   #9
theRog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
What mode are you using? Daw-control mode or the other one? My experience is that automation works as expected using daw-control mode, but is a bit more complex using the other mode, since you will then have to arm the parameter of the plugin itself in order to write it.
I'm using DAW control mode. First thing I tried was "touch" automation and here it seems the actual touch information isn't properly integrated...

When touching the fader on a constant value (touching it all the time) the background color of reaper fader flickering back and forth between touch and non-touch. So logically the automation value jumps between value held by fader and 0 dB.

Every other automation mode isn't affected by this.

Any help is appreciated,
Roger
Old 05-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #10
ramses

I'll try to have a look at touch mode. I'll report any findings here.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:51 AM   #11
inertia

Quote:
That's todo with the OpenGL options I believe. Try enabling them using another plugin, or via the c1 VST3 if possible.
Tried everything with the OpenGL problem. Is it still not fixed? I gave up with it in the end. Never buying anything by Softtube again.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:31 AM   #12
ramses

Quote:
I'm using DAW control mode. First thing I tried was "touch" automation and here it seems the actual touch information isn't properly integrated...

When touching the fader on a constant value (touching it all the time) the background color of reaper fader flickering back and forth between touch and non-touch. So logically the automation value jumps between value held by fader and 0 dB.

Every other automation mode isn't affected by this.

Any help is appreciated,
Roger
Yes, I've tried the touch automation mode and I experience the same thing. Seems like there's something amiss with this mode when it comes to C1. Perhaps best way to go about solving this issue is to file a ticket with Softube at first, to see what they have to say about it.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #13
theRog

Quote:
Yes, I've tried the touch automation mode and I experience the same thing. Seems like there's something amiss with this mode when it comes to C1. Perhaps best way to go about solving this issue is to file a ticket with Softube at first, to see what they have to say about it.
OK, will do. And post any progress on the way...

Thanks for checking on your end.

Cheerio,
Roger
Old 06-10-2020, 11:18 PM   #14
theRog

Touch automation issue has been forwarded to development department at Softube...

let's see where this goes ;-)

Cheers,
Roger
Old 07-31-2020, 07:12 AM   #15
theRog

bump... no news from Softube yet... :-(
Old 06-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #16
grayter1

Just got bit by this bug. It makes the Fader all but useless for automation rides, and is an expensive piece of hardware for static mixes only.

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #17
floc

I would not hold my hopes up...been dealing with Softube for more than one year because Fader1 kept freezing due to "stuck" faders (had to plug an unplug the USB all the time to get a reset) and still have not solved the issue (the did give me ACA for free though given the pain I am enduring). I even asked to replace my unit in case its an hardware problem and still no answer on that. Same behaviour here on touch mode also
I do use Fader1 and Console1 with CSI since (and i can still use the strips I have)
floc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:56 PM   #18
fwd0120

Just popping in to report that I'm having this problem with the touch automation on volume rides as well. It's a pretty important part of my workflow. Has there been any known fix for this? If not I guess I'll send my ticket to Softube and see what they have to say.
fwd0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:29 AM   #19
timothys_monster

Has anyone tried the fader automation with Console 1 Fader and REAPER recently? I am thinking about getting a multi-fader controller and since I am very happy with Console 1 MKII and loving the compact design of Fader I would like to know if Softube have sorted out the bugs with the recent updates.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote