Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #41
Rome
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schöpke View Post
Rome:
You wrote the interface for Reaper because you already had the controller. But would you advise to deliberately *buy* the cc121 for use with reaper? I would like to use its scrub wheel and transport buttons with the Reaper window hidden!
The CC121 is a really good controller but I think it still way too pricey for what it does. It has a built in protection so it will only work with Steinberg products unless some external developer opens it up for a specific application. And if you look at the CC121 forums on the Steinberg site then I get the strong impression that this product is really depreciated by Yamaha and Steinberg.

So I wouldn't buy a new one unless you get it for a very good price.

Quote:
On a second thought... could this also be done with the Avid Artist Transport in HUI mode? Because that would be my controller of choice. It connects via EuCon, HUI and Mackie Control interfaces. I know already that EuCon isn't working, but would the Reaper HUI implementation be a fully working alternative here? Would the AT cabling via LAN be a problem?
I don't know this particular controller but if it can do HUI then it should work fine with REAPER. Of course you'll have to get the controller to generate MIDI somehow but I guess that the driver will do something here. But I'm just guessing so maybe you should ask this question over at Avid's forum to get a qualified answer.

Quote:
I would like to give writing a similar interface for Artist Transport a try. I got your source as well as the "Reaper Mini-SDK". Could you by any chance point me in the right direction where to start from here? I never did hardware, you know I have VS 2008 IDE.
I don't think that you should start with my source. It has a lot of things that are really specific to the CC121 like the copy protection, user functions, EQ handling and other things like that.

The SDK contains the sources for several other control surface plugins. I think the controller plugin for Presonus' Faderport is a good starting point for simple control surfaces. It handles all relevant areas (transport, mute, solo, volume, pan etc.). This was the one that I started with when I created the CC121 plugin.
Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #42
Sharky-T

Default CSurf plugin for Steinberg CC121 on Vista

Hello Rome,

Damn good job on the CC121 !

Your CSurf PlugIn for CC121 princally works fine with Reaper V 4.402 rev 41ffe8 on a Vista PC with 32 Bit.

Wouldn't it be cool, if the Reaper Dev-Team includes it into their standard deployment of reaper ?

As a matter of fact, I was searching for other DAW Software that would support the CC121 besides Cubase... , since I really love that control surface device due to its easy handling / ergonomics when sitting on the couch and spinning ideas on the guitar ....

I was oriented pretty much in direction of Presonus Studio One, due to the fact that our band bought the Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2, thus getting a Studio One Artist Licence along with the shipment - but unfortunately there is no cc121 support until today...

That's how I ran into your CSurf plugin and Reaper. Took an afternoon, and got a lot of stuff working with Reaper without manuals....very intuitive..
I will definitly dig into Reaper more intensively.

3 things I would like to address to you:

1. Message Window popping up quite often:
=========================================

------------------------------------------
The following MIDI inputs could not be opened:
Steinberg CC121-1
The following MIDI outputs could not be opened:
Steinberg CC121-1
------------------------------------------

Any idea why this comes up ?

I tried the check boxes under preferences > control Surface > cc121 .. but that didn't change the behaviour

2. EQ
======

How can I get the EQ buttons on the CC121 to work in Reaper ?
I selected different EQ (the ones that you provided the eqmaps for) but nothing happens when I select the EQ controls on the cc121.

3. MAC Support
==============

What would you need, in order to get the CSurf plugin to work unter MAC OSX 10.8 ?

We have a MAC BOOK PRO Retina and could test it.

Which C++ Development Environment would you / we need for MAC in order to compile and test?

BTW: some people argue about price regarding the cc121... this is kind of an endless and boring story on pricings... (I have no TV and no car ... so I kinda have different prios...leaving money for the cc121 - but that's a highly individual thing of course, I personally find the price OK and I couldn't manufacture it for less )

Kind regards,
Sharky-T
Sharky-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #43
Rome

Thank you very much for the nice words. I still love my CC121 but I currently don't use it much as I'm working mostly with Reason (for collaberation reasons) and I'm really missing it.

I'm thinking of creating a universal solution where I can use the CC121 as normal HUI device for all DAWs and even as remote for media player etc. But this project is still in an early stage.

1. I don't see this message here. Have you disabled the Steinberg MIDI device in REAPER MIDI preferences? I think the settings there will make difference because then the plugin and REAPER might fight for the device and often REAPER wins.

2. I've noticed this too. It seems like the REAPER team has changed the behavior of the EQ in one of the updates. I'll take a look at this and fix it, if possible.

3. The plugin itself is platform independent but the GUI is not. It's pure Windows API but it's not very complicated so it should be fairly easy to create something similar with OSX. I don' have much experience with current OSX programming but there are some examples in the SDK from cockos that might get you started.

---

I think the price issue depends on where you live, I guess. When the CC121 was released it was priced at 399 Euro in German shops and this was way more than 600 USD back then.

The electronics of a CC121 could be put together by an engineer on an afternoon and the DSP programming would take not more than half a day too. The parts used inside the controller are the same standard components from the shelf that can be found in any other cheap MIDI device nowadays. Even the driver is the common MIDI driver from Yamaha so no development needed there.

The only thing that could make it more expensive than eg a presonus faderport is the metal housing but I doubt that this cost difference will be anywhere near the retail price difference of the two controllers.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #44
actuator

Default Communicating with the cc121

Hi,
I am wondering what sort of communication you are using with the cc121. Is it just midi cc? I am looking at using abletons python api to create a similar plug but thought you might be able to give a leg up on how you bypassed the protection and communicated with device.
actuator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #45
actuator

Ha, nvm I should have looked at your SRC before I posted.
actuator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:24 AM   #46
Rome

No problem. The CC121 is a actually a simple MIDI controller if you can get around the protection.

I've looked at Live's Python API a while ago and it seems to be a great method to control the DAW. But it did not have the possibility to start timers or new threads (or I didn't see them). This is needed to unlock the CC121. So I gave up. Maybe Python could be used in together with Max but I don't know if they can share the MIDI port of the CC121.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #47
musicmaker

Hi Rome,
is it possible to reupload the CSurf Plugin. Everytime I download I get a message about a corrupted file.

Thanks Reinhard
musicmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #48
Rome

Hmm, works fine here (Win7 and Ubuntu).

I've uploaded the file again as 7-Zip. Maybe this works better:

http://www.indygo.de/cc121/reaper_cc121.7z
Old 09-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #49
joe_pineapple

Default not recognizing CC121

hello

i have been trying to integrate my CC-121 with REAPER v5.0 but with no real success. i downloaded Rome's CSurf plugin and followed the instructions but when i go to the preferences and select the control surfaces tab CC-121 is not listed and therefore cannot be selected.

what is more curious is that under the MIDI devices tab the CC-121 is recognized. i have enabled the MIDI inputs and outputs.

hoping someone can help with this. thanks.
joe_pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:12 AM   #50
Rome

Hi,

I have not upgraded my system to 5.0 yet but I will do so this weekend. Maybe I can tell you more then.

But maybe it's a general problem with 5.0? I have not read all the 5.0 threads.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:20 AM   #51
funkster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_pineapple View Post
hello

... i have enabled the MIDI inputs and outputs.

hoping someone can help with this. thanks.

In the "MIDI" section or in the "Control Surfaces" section?

Disable in MIDI and enable in control surface should do normally.
ASUS Notebook N751 i7/4710HQ, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD//512 GB SSD//1 TB HDD/7200 RPM, Win 8.1 fully up to date // Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, KORG Micro X, BEHRINGER BCR2000, Nektar LX88+, KRK Rokit 5, AKG K171 MKII
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #52
joe_pineapple

Hi Rome and Funkster1

thanks for yr replies and willingness to help with this problem.

the CC-121 shows up in the 'MIDI Devices' tab/section.

Control Surfaces > Add > Control surface mode > drop down menu - no device listed as CC-121 is shown. but there are 9 others
Old 10-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #53
joe_pineapple

small update.. i installed Reaper V 4.402 as this version was confirmed as working by Sharky-T but i still get the same problem with the CC121 not showing up as a device option in Control surface mode > drop down menu.

I've downloaded and reinstalled the CSurf zip file and double checked my dll and folder placement but still no luck.

i'm still inclined to think it's an operator error but what are the chances that it could a faulty device?
Old 07-26-2017, 04:04 AM   #54
kh286

hi rome,

it looks like my cc121 has un-learned to control plugins with the 12 eq-kobs. it definitly worked in the beginning, but i haven't used it much. today i wanted to experiment working with these knobs again (ReaEA), but nothing happens. do you have an idea what could be wrong? i already tried re-installing the plugin/folder...

many thanks!

cheers, markus
kh286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #55
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh286 View Post
hi rome,

it looks like my cc121 has un-learned to control plugins with the 12 eq-kobs. it definitly worked in the beginning, but i haven't used it much. today i wanted to experiment working with these knobs again (ReaEA), but nothing happens. do you have an idea what could be wrong? i already tried re-installing the plugin/folder...

many thanks!

cheers, markus
Uhhh... don't hold your breath. He hasn't been on since Sept 2015.