Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-25-2018, 05:42 AM   #1
monty
Human being with feelings

Default existing Kubuntu system - modification?

I've been using Linux as a workstation for about 10 years because it's very reliable and stable ...
Currently I'm using a dual boot system (kubuntu, win10) but am interested in a reaper migration to kubuntu.

Would it be possible to modify an existing Kubuntu system (kernel replacement) so that after all everything still works, including plasma?

P.S.
I guess the Windows VST plugins will produce high latencies via wine - right?
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
Jack Winter

This should be doable, but I don't know the specifics of how to on Ubuntu. It might be that there is a script that does part of it. You'd have to provide me with some information so I know what's up with your system. Possibly googling recent distro documentation or asking on IRC in distro support channels might also help. A third alternative might be adding the kxstudio repos and updating the system, but I'm not sure if that works on recent Ubuntu versions.

Here is what you'd have to accomplish.
  1. Install a lowlatency kernel and possibly add the threadirqs boot flag to your boot manager.
  2. Acquire rtprio & memlock rights.
  3. Set a high priority for the interrupt of your soundcard, or the USB hub that the soundcard is connected to.

Using windows vsts wouldn't really add latency, it's more of a question of does the plugin work at all, and does it work reliably. But yes at this stage in time they are best used with high buffer settings, meaning for mixing. But you can certainly try to monitor through some of them at low latency, how well that would work would depend on your system, the plugin, and your project.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
I've been using Linux as a workstation for about 10 years because it's very reliable and stable ...
Currently I'm using a dual boot system (kubuntu, win10) but am interested in a reaper migration to kubuntu.

Would it be possible to modify an existing Kubuntu system (kernel replacement) so that after all everything still works, including plasma?

P.S.
I guess the Windows VST plugins will produce high latencies via wine - right?
With Jack's help I just tweaked my Xubuntu install up to work pretty well with REAPER. As far as more overhead with plugins running in WINE, that is absolutely true, but not to an unusable state by any means.

I recorded this short jam test using real 4-channel acoustic drums, my electric bass, and a couple of tracks of my electric guitars for some audio tracks.

Then I put Guitar Rig on my rhythm guitar and bass, to load the system up a bit, and to put a bit more grunge on them. Then I added Kontakt and tracks for orchestral strings, orchestral brass, Hammond organ, and piano for some virtual instruments. I have REAPER playing the song right now as I type this in, running at 1.4/1.4ms latency and the audio sounds just dandy with no artifacts.

Here's a link to the results of that little test project.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13772744
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13772744
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
monty

a test run w/ the standard kubuntu kernel (mix w/ 24 tracks) runs smoothly, even my Tascam US-2400 works fine also the motor faders ...
I guess I'll do a clean installation with ubuntu studio, so it should work w/ multiple tracks and monitoring for recording sessions. Great work!!!
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
Old 08-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
a test run w/ the standard kubuntu kernel (mix w/ 24 tracks) runs smoothly, even my Tascam US-2400 works fine also the motor faders ...
I guess I'll do a clean installation with ubuntu studio, so it should work w/ multiple tracks and monitoring for recording sessions. Great work!!!
I'm quite impressed with REAPER running in Linux. I may down the line sometime try the Liquornix kernel, but for now REAPER is usable for the stuff I do.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
monty

It seems to run faster & smoother on linux ...
Does the third-party themes like iLogic etc. work with GTK3?
Old 08-26-2018, 12:07 AM   #7
Jack Winter

Yes, it does support Reaper themes. In fact it even supports themeing the usually native OS controls like the menubar, dialog boxes, etc. Copy libSwell.colortheme to ~/.config/REAPER/libSwell-user.colortheme and edit it.

Here is a dark grey one I made when the feature was added: libSwell.colortheme
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote