Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 06-19-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
RDBOIS
Banned

Default Plz - Shoud I buy this or something else? [ZOOM Recorder Pack]

Hello

I am thinking to buying this:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handheld...%2C183&sr=8-12

Why? Because I am tied of missing out on all the creative song ideas that descend upon me from the ether of cosmic creativity.

So many times melodies, song lyrics, guitar riffs, etc., pop up and I do not have the time to set a home recording session. I need something quick! But, not just anything. I need to know that I can listen to my recording and, if creativity pops up again, I can add a quick layer. Kind of like a hand-held multi-track recording devices.

I do not care about sound quality. Nope. This is about capturing layers of ideas.

So, do I buy this or something else better?

[edit] I really do not need the headphones. Mine are great already.

[edit2] Will not spend more than 250$ (more or less - convince me I am wrong)

Thank you

I shall give this process until July 4th (lol) before I just go ahead and buy something random.

Last edited by RDBOIS; 06-19-2020 at 07:59 PM.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:55 PM   #2
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
I'd get a used H4n off eBay in good condition from a reputable seller... I got mine for like $75. They go for more now, for some reason, maybe $150? $100 for the previous generation? But that H2n would be fine, too. Unless you need the "variety pack" stuff that's coming with, I'd get something used that just includes the device and the power cable, maybe also a windscreen (the H4n for example is very wind sensitive: slightest breeze -> mandatory windscreen).

If you have a smartphone, though, one of those stick-on-the-end mics might make even more sense. Got my Rode iXY for like $75 (used) (old school connector not for modern phones, but there are equivalents out there.) Surely there must be apps that let you layer tracks.

Especially if you aren't picky about sound quality, noise floor, etc, IMO there's no need to spend more than like $75/$100 max.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
I'd get a used H4n off eBay in good condition from a reputable seller... I got mine for like $75. They go for more now, for some reason, maybe $150? $100 for the previous generation? But that H2n would be fine, too. Unless you need the "variety pack" stuff that's coming with, I'd get something used that just includes the device and the power cable, maybe also a windscreen (the H4n for example is very wind sensitive: slightest breeze -> mandatory windscreen).

If you have a smartphone, though, one of those stick-on-the-end mics might make even more sense. Got my Rode iXY for like $75 (used) (old school connector not for modern phones, but there are equivalents out there.) Surely there must be apps that let you layer tracks.

Especially if you aren't picky about sound quality, noise floor, etc, IMO there's no need to spend more than like $75/$100 max.
Thanks for the reply.

Ohhh wow, i did not know you could plug a microphone into a phone.

http://www.rode.com/microphones/ixy

But, if you use that phone socket/port, then how do you plug headphones to listen? Unless the microphone hardware has a mic out?

Also, I have an iphone. I do not like the GarageBand app. It is not "bad" per say, but it is clumsy when it comes to layering tracks.

So... Iphone with microphone plugin and app, or all-in-one hardware. I will look into H4n.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
clepsydrae

Quote:
Ohhh wow, i did not know you could plug a microphone into a phone.
Yeah it's a game changer, at least for some applications.

Quote:
But, if you use that phone socket/port, then how do you plug headphones to listen? Unless the microphone hardware has a mic out?
The iXY plugs in to the old-style lightning ports, so it doesn't obscure the headphone jack. The newer offerings plug in to the USB port on the phone, AFAIK. Not sure how they handle headphone issues... maybe the port is accessible, maybe they have jacks... I feel like I've seen jacks.

If you have the lightning connector (I have an iphone 5s) I recommend the iXY. Had to cut my case to fit it on there without removing the case, but it's nice.

Quote:
Also, I have an iphone. I do not like the GarageBand app. It is not "bad" per say, but it is clumsy when it comes to layering tracks.
There's gotta be a good option out there, maybe for a few $.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:05 PM   #5
clepsydrae

P.S. I know the H4n has some kind of multi-track features available. I've never used them.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
Yearofthegoat

I use a Zoom H6 for exactly your purpose.

Really easy to just record and not lose those spontaneous genius moments.

(In fact I've got into the habit of recording every messing about session just in case!)
Yearofthegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
Fran Guidry

Quote:
Hello

I am thinking to buying this:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handheld...%2C183&sr=8-12

Why? Because I am tied of missing out on all the creative song ideas that descend upon me from the ether of cosmic creativity.

So many times melodies, song lyrics, guitar riffs, etc., pop up and I do not have the time to set a home recording session. I need something quick! But, not just anything. I need to know that I can listen to my recording and, if creativity pops up again, I can add a quick layer. Kind of like a hand-held multi-track recording devices.

I do not care about sound quality. Nope. This is about capturing layers of ideas.

[edit] I really do not need the headphones. Mine are great already.

[edit2] Will not spend more than 250$ (more or less - convince me I am wrong)

Thank you

I shall give this process until July 4th (lol) before I just go ahead and buy something random.
I've done a pretty good bit of recording using an H2n. You don't need any of that other stuff, just the recorder by itself. The "shaver" form factor lets you set the recorder upright on a table/stool/desk - no need for a stand. You have your own headphones, don't need that. The batteries last for hours, don't need the power block. Remote control? How far away can you get? Why would you want to? The wind cover is marginal, and how much will you be recording outside? Etc. Etc. Etc.

I really liked the H2n, found it much better built than the H1/H1n. The H5, H6, and H4n Pro (only) have preamps with lower self-noise, but if you're looking for a scratch pad for song ideas you don't need to sweat a minute amount of hiss.

Here's a search of my YouTube slack key channel listing stuff with H2 in the tags:
https://www.youtube.com/user/frangui...?query=zoom+h2

And here's a search for "h2" in my Homebrewed Music "techie" channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/homebre...riber&query=h2

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:11 AM   #8
Yearofthegoat

^Fran's right.

I checked out a whole load of videos before I got my H6, Fran's included, and I'm glad they persuaded me to get one. They're great for quick setup.

(I did some recording yesterday straight into Reaper from my GT100, then played with reamping.

In terms of setting up, it probably would have been quicker to record into the H6 and just re-amp the file uploaded into Reaper.

Maybe it's just me...)
Yearofthegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:56 AM   #9
RobertP

Frankly, If you are not thinking of using what you record into a tune, I would just use the basic phone recorder for what you describe, you don't need a mic. I have done it many, many times. When not being able to catch what I heard quick enough, I then hum or whistle it to my phone.
Good enough for then later thinking about creatively