Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
pelleke
Human being with feelings

Default New Source/Destination editing actions!

Dear mortals, I would like to announce my new custom actions I created to do Source/Destination editing.

For hasty or lazy people: watch this vid! http://youtu.be/utSTd8huEoM

Insipred by the earlier work done by gembez, Art Evans and panphonic, I would like to share my custom actions with the rest of the world. I've been using them now to edit one project, and I am definitely happy with the way it went.

If you have any questions or remarks, or if you have found a bug, please let me know and I will look at it!

A few key features:

- A set-up action that creates a Destination project tab, asks you to save it (which you can cancel). It duplicates the tracks of the source project, and copies some other data that would otherwise be left away, such as the FX chain on your master track.
- Source and destination are in separate projects, which give them the advantage of having separate timelines, zoom factors and time selections. Also, it gives you a lot better screen real estate, so you don't have to hide tracks to make it work.
- Three points edits and four points edits. Both are done using the same action.
- These actions don't depend on markers so you can use your markers independently, any way you want.
- These actions do not depend on showing and hiding tracks from your TCP
- Two edit actions, one of which automatically adds crossfades to your edits, with a configurable length.
- Although untested, automation envelopes should also be copied.

Installation instructions:
- Get an up-to-date version of Reaper. I've created and tested these on Reaper v4.31.
- Get an up-to-date version of SWS extensions installed.
- Download the custom actions from this thread.
- Start Reaper, open your actions window and import the actions using the Import/Export button.
- Assign useful shortcuts to the actions. I use F10 for Edit, Opt-F10 for Edit without crossfades, and Cmd-Opt-F10 for Set up S/D.
- Configure the auto cross-fade length. Go to Extenseions - Command Parameters, and set the "Seconds (Edit cursor)" value to half the desired crossfade length. (i.e. for 30 ms crossfades, set to 0.015)

Setting up S/D editing:
- If you have multiple project tabs open, make sure your source is on the leftmost tab and that this tab is currently selected. Also, make sure all tracks are visible in TCP. Consider minimizing them instead.
- Execute the set-up action. It creates a new tab, copies the source tracks and the master FX chain, and asks you to save it. I recommend you to save it right away, but you can also cancel the dialog. After that, it reselects the source project.

Editing:
- To edit, you always need a time selection in your source project. Make a time selection around the audio that you desire to copy to your destination.
- If you are doing a 4 point edit, set the time selection in your destination to the desired region you want to replace.
- If you are doing a 3 point edit, remove the time selection in your destination project (if present) and set your playhead to the desired edit location.
- Execute the Edit action.

Notes:
- Three point edits are done by overwriting the content behind the destination playhead with the selected source audio. It only overwrites as long as the source selection's duration. If there is still audio behind the pasted material, a crossfade is created as if it was a four point edit. (In my workflow this situation is really rare, and I thought this behaviour would be the most useful)
- Four-point edits depend on ripple editing being activated in the destination project. It's automatically activated during set-up, but if you switch it off during your editing session, four point edits will break.
- Although these actions themselves do not depend on TCP visibility, I only tested this having all tracks visible. If you want to hide tracks during your S/D editing session, consider minimizing them as an alternative. If you really need to do this, make sure you hide them in both your source project and your destination project. At least, items and envelopes on hidden tracks are known not to be copied. If you have tracks hidden during set-up, they may not appear in your destination project. (Haven't tested this.)
- The Destination project is a copy as identical from the source as I could get it. The only things I know are not copied, are the values of the master fader and panpot, and the measurement units in the timeline. Will look at those in a future version.
- The actions expect the source to be on the leftmost open project tab, and the destination on the rightmost open project tab. I only tested this in an envrionment with two open tabs, but it should work OK with more, although if you want to use a tab in the middle as your source, you've got to move it to the left first.
- When the action makes the crossfade, it may be possible that a little very low (slowly played back) audio is audible. I suspect the SWS action that moves the cursor around is actually doing that, but I am not 100% certain about it. At least, it doesn't do any harm to your project.
- I haven't tested these on Windows, but I expect everything to work. Could anybody please confirm this?

I am eagerly waiting for your replies!
Attached Files
File Type: reaperkeymap Source-Destination Editing.ReaperKeyMap (989 Bytes, 1900 views)
pelleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Sambo Rouge

Nice work Pelle ---- lots of effort gone in here. Many thanks.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
EpicSounds

phenomenal work. Thank you.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
pelleke

Thanks, people! Did you actually give it a go? (And is one of you guys using Windows?)

I already have the next feature request: two people mentioned (independently from each other) that it would be useful to be able to audition both involved takes on that spot, as if you hadn't cut. (That is, be able to listen to the pieces of "tape" you didn't use.) I'm already thinking that one out. I myself think it would be useful to have an action that - after it's done with the edit - automatically fires up the crossfade editor to immediately edit the fade on the left hand side, and maybe plays it once.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
G-Sun

Nice.
(I'll not test before when I need something like this)
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
EpicSounds

I have not tried it yet, but I've prepared a blog post to promote it, will go up tomorrow.

At the moment I don't have a need for 3 and 4-point edits but there have been a few times in the past where it would have been useful.

I'm on a Mac.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
pelleke

Ah, that's great! Thanks! If you share the link with me, I'll stick around for the comments!

// EDIT - It may obviously be the blog you link to in your signature.

Last edited by pelleke; 01-09-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
PianoMan5080

Fantastic work pelleke, and many thanks for sharing your efforts with us...
Now Reaper is my "to go" daw for pristine classical editing..
Thank you!
PianoMan5080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
just.sounds

Hi Pelle,

Sweet Actions!! This gives me a proper option to do SD editing on a mac. Soundblade is just not practical enough and pretty expensive. Thanks for the good work and Goedenmiddag ;-)
just.sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
just.sounds

I have an idea to think about for you.

post with wrong list. see next post

Last edited by just.sounds; 03-21-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
just.sounds

Sorry i messed up, the good list ;-)

Just for auditioning if you did the crossfade right this would be very nice to have:

Specific key commands to start this!

take "1" crossfading to take "2" like normal

take "1" fading out without take "2" fading in
take "1" not fading out trough the crossfade. (without take 2)
take "1" not fading out stopping at the end of the crossfade. (without take 2)

take "2" from beginning of crossfade fading in (without take 1)
take "2" from beginning of crossfade not fading in (so playing at normal loudness from the start)(without take 1)
take "2" from before crossfade (without take 1)

Is this remotely possible to configure? I'm willing to put some work in it if it is. But won't start if it isn't

Last edited by just.sounds; 03-22-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
KSmith

Thanks, Pelle!

This is brilliant, and I have a project coming up that will probably get a lot of use from it.

Working just like the video in Win7 64 Ultimate with 32 and 64 bit Reaper.
Keith
KSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
bachstudies

Location: No longer using REAPER and no longer active in the forums.

These actions are amazing. Just what we classical engineers needed in Reaper. I've referenced them in my own post in which I offer some custom actions to help with non source-destination crossfades:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=122267

The one I'm most proud of is the classical crossfade action that side-steps the need for the crossfade editor when attempting precise classical-style fades.
bachstudies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
pelleke

@just-sounds

This is what I got back from the people in my professional network immediately after I released these. Or, at least, auditioning the parts that you don't use. (i.e. D and G, see below.)

Quote:
A take "1" crossfading to take "2" like normal

B take "1" fading out without take "2" fading in
C take "1" not fading out trough the crossfade. (without take 2)
D take "1" not fading out stopping at the end of the crossfade. (without take 2)

E take "2" from beginning of crossfade fading in (without take 1)
F take "2" from beginning of crossfade not fading in (so playing at normal loudness from the start)(without take 1)
G take "2" from before crossfade (without take 1)
A is currently possible just by playing after the edit was made. (Some functionality could be added to rewind to the correct spot.)

All the others should be (remotely) possible.

I think Reaper allows you to mute regions, which basically makes it possible to create B and E as well.

For C and F, the crossfade needs to be removed as well before playback, which in itself should be possible although there are possible complications:

1. To restore the crossfade exactly as it was after playback, we'll need to use the 'Undo' history. The problem here is that there's no way to figure out whether a crossfade was there in the beginning, so if you 'undo' something that wasn't done (removing a non-existent crossfade), God knows what action you're actually undoing.
2. I don't know whether Reaper has an action "Play until end of selected items", and since there's no way to guess how long the crossfade was before auditioning, you would depend on such an action. (My guess would be though that you can actually do this, if need be using the time selection.)

D and G are very likely possible, but probably the most painful ones to implement: you would have to stretch the existing items so that the stuff that you didn't use becomes visible again. Again, using the Undo action you can get away with it clean.

Last edited by pelleke; 05-07-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
pelleke

Ooh my lord, as I am typing I just think: you know what would be a real dream? If you could select any region in the destination you've edited ever before, and recall the exact location in the source where you got that edit from back when you made it, so you can immediately change it, fix it or whatever! I don't beleve Sequoia and Pyramix even have that! Well, that's got to be stuff for the far future, but it would definitely make Reaper THE DAW to use for classical projects.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:44 AM   #16
musicbynumbers

Thanks for working these out! will come in handy at some point in the future I reckon!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #17
paukenfaust

I am having a weird problem with these custom actions.

Thank you, by the way. This is really helping me on a current project.

Though, in the destination project, everything is being copied in at .010 Rate and filling an inordinate amount of space with this long and slow version of the edit I was making. I hve to adjust the rate and chop down all the loops Reaper makes when changing the rate back to 1.

Any suggestions?
paukenfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #18
paukenfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by paukenfaust View Post
I am having a weird problem with these custom actions.

Thank you, by the way. This is really helping me on a current project.

Though, in the destination project, everything is being copied in at .010 Rate and filling an inordinate amount of space with this long and slow version of the edit I was making. I hve to adjust the rate and chop down all the loops Reaper makes when changing the rate back to 1.

Any suggestions?
I am just following up.... any suggestions?
paukenfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:18 AM   #19
pelleke

Yeah, sorry for not responding. I haven't had a chance yet to check this out just yet but I'm surprised as I don't do anything to the rate.

I've got a few questions / things that jump to mind that could help either of us identify what's going on here:
- What version of Reaper and SWS are you on?
- What is the sample rate of your source project? And the auto-generated destination project, does that run on the same sample rate?

I havent done any S/D editing for a long time, and the issue may have been introduced by a recent update of either Reaper or SWS. If all of this is not the case, I'm afraid there's something in your default settings that's making it difficult.

You could also start debugging the case itself simply by manually executing the steps in the actions one by one.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #20
Guigui Ze Chti

Default Envelope points are not following while working with Crossfade Editor

Good morning,

This is my first post and please forgive me if this is not the right place to post it.

First of all, bravo and thank you for the amazing Source/Destination editing action, this is so practical for classical music editing!

Here is my question:
When I'm moving content with the crossfade editor, I realize that my envelope volume points are not moving with the content even if I enable rippling mode and envelope points moving with media items. I don't have this problem when I'm manually dragging an item as it makes all following items + envelope to follow.

Thank you very much for your help!

Guillaume
Guigui Ze Chti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #21
FMNY

Does anyone know why the source destination youtube video has been taken down?
FMNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:13 AM   #22
pelleke

Video back up. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Old 10-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #23
gregswinford

Default Reaper 5

Sorry to resurrect an old thread!

I have found your custom actions for 3- and 4-point source-destination editing amazingly useful for classical stereo and multi-channel editing. However, I've just upgraded to Reaper 5.03 and SWS 2.8.1 and have spotted a small bug, which I thought I'd flag up. I'm not expecting it to be fixed in any way, just thought it might benefit other users to know about it.

When I run the 'S/D edit' action with a time selection starting at the beginning of the project, Reaper jumps to the second tab as normal, but the item isn't copied. The cursor does jump forward though. In the source project tab, all items move forward in time the same amount as the time selection. If the time selection starts after the beginning of the project, all appears normal.

Thanks again for developing these custom actions, which make Reaper a great choice for classical editing.
gregswinford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #24
pelleke

Oh, that's good to know.

I haven't recorded anything for quite some time (I think I'm still using 4.xx), but I'll look into this to see if I can fix it.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #25
Smart-Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelleke View Post
Oh, that's good to know.

I haven't recorded anything for quite some time (I think I'm still using 4.xx), but I'll look into this to see if I can fix it.
So did you fixed this?
Smart-Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #26
cmacsound

This is great, thank you for these custom actions!

Question: is it possible to modify the action so that the source's tempo map information also gets copied into the destination session?
cmacsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:10 PM   #27
timothys_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswinford View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread!
Don't worry. This is amazing stuff and definitely worth to be resurrected. Otherwise I wouldn't have seen it!

Thanks, pelleke
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #28
studer58

Here's somebody else on the case, who is experiencing a grouping problem at the end of his editing sequence...can anyone here help ?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...=1#post1640988

Out of interest, does anyone wrestling with bending Reaper towards efficient S-D editing think that a control surface like this could help speed things up ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywl_...ature=youtu.be
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #29
mjfe2

Loving pelleke's actions for source destination editing - thanks again for posting! When monitoring with a large sample size I've been wondering about the accuracy of my selection. Does setting the punch in/out points with hotkeys during playback correspond with what I hear (i.e. the delayed audio) or do I need to preempt the delay?

Last edited by mjfe2; 09-05-2017 at 01:08 AM.
mjfe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #30
Gass n Klang

mhh it doesn't work any longer for some reason I don't know. Could anybody check these actions using the latest SWS installer? I haven't tried for a longer time but I think it worked before.
Set up S/D is no problem but editing doesn't work correctly. The items are not copied correctly an sometimes there is an extra track created.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #31
mjfe2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
mhh it doesn't work any longer for some reason I don't know. Could anybody check these actions using the latest SWS installer? I haven't tried for a longer time but I think it worked before.
Set up S/D is no problem but editing doesn't work correctly. The items are not copied correctly an sometimes there is an extra track created.
We just finished editing a project this evening with no problems. Make sure ripple for all tracks is enabled in the destination project.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #32
partitura

Default also having problems

I'm also trying to setup these actions and having similar problems.
Reaper 5.50c (most recent)
SWS extensions - (most recent)

I can use the setup action to create the destination project with no difficulties.

However, when I try to initiate a 3 or 4 point edit from within the destination window, at the location of the time selection in the source window, it inserts a silent area the length of the time selection, and pushes all the audio further to the right on the track. Nothing at all happens in the destination window.

Very strange. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!
partitura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:48 AM   #33
mjfe2

Quote:
Originally Posted by partitura View Post
I'm also trying to setup these actions and having similar problems.
Reaper 5.50c (most recent)
SWS extensions - (most recent)

I can use the setup action to create the destination project with no difficulties.

However, when I try to initiate a 3 or 4 point edit from within the destination window, at the location of the time selection in the source window, it inserts a silent area the length of the time selection, and pushes all the audio further to the right on the track. Nothing at all happens in the destination window.

Very strange. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!
Did you check ripple in the destination project?

The bug you describe seems to occur when the cursor in the source project is located after (or it may be during, can't remember) the selection to be edited. Not sure why it does this but it can be solved by clicking before the selection.

It's a frustrating quirk so a fix would be appreciated!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:58 AM   #34
studer58

I'm attempting to set this up on a Reaper 5.62 Macbook Pro 2010, Snow Leopard.

I've imported the latest SWS custom actions (v.2.9.7 Sept 28, 2017)and Pelleke's Keymap, and clicked the Setup action on my Source project, which produces the duplicate project as copy of source (minus any items in the track timeline of course), I've saved that as Destination project on a tab to the right of the Source tab/project. All fine so far....

Ripple editing All Tracks is enabled in Destination project.

If I make a selection over a set of source tracks and push F10 (same shortcut as Pelleke nominated in his keymap for 'making the edit'), nothing from that selection (in fact no material at all) is copied into the Destination project.

Any suggestions as to what I might have done wrong ?

Since the 'Setup'action has correctly applied itself, I can't figure out why the F10 'edit' action doesn't work also ?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #35
studer58

A bit of additional information (and remember this applies only to Mac, it's not a problem if I try it on a Windows device)

If I open up the Actions window, highlight the F10 Shortcut/ Custom S/D Edit line and click Run, it performs the action !

So the problem seems to be that the action is not attaching itself to the actual keystroke.

If I click on Add in the lower right of the Actions box, it brings up a "Keyboard/MIDI/OSC Input" dialogue....but when I type in F10 it doesn't appear to register or record itself as a keyboard stroke input.

So while I can make the action work by clicking on the Run command, is anyone able to advise on how I can make it 'stick' to the actual F10 keystroke ?

Thank you for your help

PS...is it perhaps as simple as F10 already being a shortcut for muting the Macbook's internal speakers ?

Last edited by studer58; 12-07-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:00 AM   #36
EpicSounds

you have to press the "fn" key to assign and use function keys.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #37
hopi

studer... you could in the actions list change the key bindings to other keys of your choice... and\or you could put the three action into a floating toolbar and run them with a mouse clk.... that is what I have done
Old 12-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #38
studer58

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
you have to press the "fn" key to assign and use function keys.
Thanks, yes I tried that but for some reason it didn't work ?

However....when I called up the Actions modification box, hit Add and then click on the 'Special Key' (Enter, Tab, etc) box...I'm then able to hit F10, it shows in that text box and it binds itself as the action....so that's a simple solution to the problem, and my mistake for not trying that approach initially !
Old 12-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #39
studer58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
studer... you could in the actions list change the key bindings to other keys of your choice... and\or you could put the three action into a floating toolbar and run them with a mouse clk.... that is what I have done
Yes that was my first choice, and I'd succeeded in eventually finding 'H' as a possible replacement for F10....but your suggestion of having the floating toolbar is excellent and a great timesaver...I've not had reason to explore floating toolbars until now, but it's about time I did, so thank you indeed for that hint !
Old 12-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #40
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Yes that was my first choice, and I'd succeeded in eventually finding 'H' as a possible replacement for F10....but your suggestion of having the floating toolbar is excellent and a great timesaver...I've not had reason to explore floating toolbars until now, but it's about time I did, so thank you indeed for that hint !

good now you're in trouble hahahaha floating TB's are GREAT and IMHO the way to go... I have all 16 of them populated and I add to them constantly... make my own special icons for them, etc.

I don't really have them 'floating'... I have them docked above the ruler and what you can do is have each of the 16 in tabs in the dock...

Here's a tip: when you edit them, up at the top is a button for 'retitle'...
where you can change the name... so instead of toolbar 1 you can have 1 Grid Settings, ...or 2 Color Settings, etc., etc. Then that name shows up in the tab in the dock... makes it nice to choose which TB you want to see.. have fun