Old 12-11-2011, 01:17 AM   #721
TonE
Human being with feelings

No, not really.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #722
philait

Tell you what. I'll not bother the next time.
philait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #723
serr

My head is spinning...

It looks like a lot of really amazing work here but this would take me a year to get thru! I've got just a couple real simple questions (hopefully) to get me started.

quick background: I feel the need to abandon Protools HD (after 12 years!) because they are screwing up so badly. But I don't need every menu, shortcut, etc, etc to mimic ProtoolsHD. In fact I don't want to go down that path. I just need 3 things to get started!

1. How do you get shuffle mode (possibly called ripple mode). Both the snap left when deleting a chunk and the snap left from grabbing and moving.

2. How do you change the cursor tool to make selections directly in a Reaper item (Protools region) instead of the global timeline thing?

3. How do you use an "audiosuite only" (this is the Protools term) plugin in Reaper? I understand the render feature for standard inserted AU plugins. I have an 'audiosuite only' plugin. Serato Pitch n Time LE to be specific. This cannot be inserted on a track (and is properly omitted from the plugin list in the window that comes up when inserting normal AU plugins). This can only be used 'audiosuite' style. (Izotope's noise reduction plugins would work the same way.)
How do you do that in Reaper?

If I can just get these 3 things I'll be able to get back to work while the memory of ProtoolsHD fades into the past.

Here's an example of my editing question.
I was able to edit out a piece of audio by 1) making a timeline selection by dragging the cursor 2) selecting the region in question 3) hitting shift-S 4) selecting the created region and 5)hitting delete
How do I do it like this:
1) Drag cursor in region to select area to delete. 2) Hit delete
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #724
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
2. How do you change the cursor tool to make selections directly in a Reaper item (Protools region) instead of the global timeline thing?

3. How do you use an "audiosuite only" (this is the Protools term) plugin in Reaper? I understand the render feature for standard inserted AU plugins. I have an 'audiosuite only' plugin. Serato Pitch n Time LE to be specific. This cannot be inserted on a track (and is properly omitted from the plugin list in the window that comes up when inserting normal AU plugins). This can only be used 'audiosuite' style. (Izotope's noise reduction plugins would work the same way.)
Hi Serr,

These two questions, are the two things I've been banging on about for ages, and thought we might get in v4.0 but alas no, or not yet!

I came from PTHD too, and these functions I really miss and so I think do others from PT

The only way is to use the Loop selection which covers the whole arrange page instead of the way PT does it just to select the Area, and then you have to "glue" "split" etc, which is a longer way of doing the simple processing to an area in PT.

Also Reaper does the thing of adding FX to the 'item' and then glueing it to see the waveform update, which is almost the same but not quite when you can do it in PT more intuitively.

I'm hoping for a bit of an update soon, where all this is addressed, so more editors and sound design can do all the editing and processing and seeing the waveform update all in the timeline without launching a seperate editor..

Your question is one I get asked when I show Reaper to PT users, and it is clunky I admit to others who are used to PT.

Apart from that if Cockos got that side all sorted, I think Reaper would kill PT, as I think Cockos would do it with a few extras included that we haven't thought of yet, to make it more intuitive!

Area Selection, for starters, is a feature request thats in my sig below - have a look as I think its what your looking for.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #725
Some Guy

Quote:
1. How do you get shuffle mode (possibly called ripple mode). Both the snap left when deleting a chunk and the snap left from grabbing and moving.

1. It's ripple mode, there's a toolbar button in the main toolbar. it snaps when cutting, however it doesnt snap items to left when moved, i am not sure if this is possible.

3. If it doesn't show up in the fx list, then i don't think this is possible. not sure though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bildschirmfoto 2012-01-15 um 18.13.46.jpg (63.6 KB, 2211 views)
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #726
marsmellow

Shan,

when can we see the light of your tremendous work on the Protools-like Reaper theme?
You already have a release date of this theme in mind?

I know you are working on it whenever you can, just heard about Reaper (I am a Logic/protools user) and now I can't wait to start working with it, just like I was used to work in Protools.
From there I can add bit by bit all of Reapers amazing features, so in the end I have my own Protools 10 XXL.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Mars
marsmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #727
Nois2

Default No posts since Sep 2012?

So is this dead? Or has it moved someplace? I need to stay sharp in PT, but I am very interested in using Reaper for projects where I don't need to send a session to someone else. So practically I need to have all the commands I use everyday mapped the same as PT. Would be nice if the UI was laid out similarly also but that is lower on the list. ReaTools was looking like the perfect solution but it seems it has been dropped? Or did I miss something. I can probably do it my self but it seems silly to reinvent the wheel.
Nois2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #728
vala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nois2 View Post
I can probably do it my self but it seems silly to reinvent the wheel.
I switched from PT to RPR early this year and immediately I wanted Reaper to look and behave like PT. I slowly started to change menus and shortcuts, but in the meantime I learned some Reaper shortcuts, and finally I changed only a few... There are some of them that are less annoying, you may get used.
Others, like "insert track(s)" or "bounce", or the cut-copy-paste shortcuts, I modified them and actually, since I had the luck that I wasn't in any hurry, I had the time to consider how I wanted my shortcuts and a couple of them are PT-ish but I've "improved" them for my needs.

So, all this blahblah to tell you that if you have the luxury of time, you may consider to try Reaper default shortcuts, them make your own and/or modify only the ones you find less ideal for your workflow.

Anyway, here are a couple of things that may help you (but please note I am NOT using these, so I can not say if they're 100% ok):

PT shortcuts for Reaper:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/3113/Robert...n%20REAPER.zip

PT cursors:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...736#post505736

Save/export your Reaper config prior to import the shortcuts above, just in case...
vala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #729
moondoggie53

Default 4.58 problems

MacBook Pro 2011, 8G RAM, Reaper 4.58.

I have built a drum track and peripheral instruments. I add a shaker which I need to edit. I cannot select, nor drag, nor alter it in any way. Any click in the item results in a region selected - all I want to do is move the gd item.

Previously there were no problems. I originally selected LOCKED and UNLOCKED/Media Item Buttons in preferences - it seemed stupid at the time, but I followed the pdf - so I deselected them: no effect.

<< This locks the current time selection so that, for example, if you accidentally click and drag at some other point along the timeline your time selection will remain unchanged. You can remove a locked time selection by pressing Esc then selecting Yes when prompted. >> This has no effect. I wish I'd seen it earlier.

I'm gonna try removing the shaker and try again. When I attempt to unlock the lock icon, I create another editing region. OK. I feel better. Thanks for listening.
moondoggie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #730
lxm

Nothing and I mean NOTHING compares to slip editing in REAPER.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #731
serr

Editing in Reaper is like ProtoolsHD on steroids!

Now that I've taken the plunge into Reaper, the couple times I had to open an old Protools session for something felt extremely clumsy.

I had over 15 years of Protools use and just loved the editing features. And now it's completely obsolete and I wouldn't dream of putting up with those restrictions.

For anyone just starting the transition, the big tip is:
In Reaper, time selection and item (region in PT) selection are separate things. Of course you can link anything you want but you soon discover that all the clumsy order of operations things you had to do in Protools as a workaround are instead replaced by even more actually useful features in Reaper and of course no workarounds to begin with.

I'm kind of glad Protools bit the dust actually or I might have never realized how big an upgrade this would be.

New Protools refugees:
Time selection and item selection are separate! Very useful
Open the Actions menu - that's where all the commands are.
Pay attention to item selection vs time selection vs track selection. They're all separable and separate by default here (but can also be linked together as you wish).

Haha, sorry if the fanboy rant makes someone's eyes roll. I get a little excited when I find a product that delivers like this in this world of snake oil and used car salesmen.

Hahaha, my last post above... I waited this long because I thought the transition would be too hard or something? Stupid waste of time...

Last edited by serr; 01-14-2014 at 06:38 PM.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:37 AM   #732
buckman

Quote:
Editing in Reaper is like ProtoolsHD on steroids!

Now that I've taken the plunge into Reaper, the couple times I had to open an old Protools session for something felt extremely clumsy.

I had over 15 years of Protools use and just loved the editing features. And now it's completely obsolete and I wouldn't dream of putting up with those restrictions.

For anyone just starting the transition, the big tip is:
In Reaper, time selection and item (region in PT) selection are separate things. Of course you can link anything you want but you soon discover that all the clumsy order of operations things you had to do in Protools as a workaround are instead replaced by even more actually useful features in Reaper and of course no workarounds to begin with.

I'm kind of glad Protools bit the dust actually or I might have never realized how big an upgrade this would be.

New Protools refugees:
Time selection and item selection are separate! Very useful
Open the Actions menu - that's where all the commands are.
Pay attention to item selection vs time selection vs track selection. They're all separable and separate by default here (but can also be linked together as you wish).

Haha, sorry if the fanboy rant makes someone's eyes roll. I get a little excited when I find a product that delivers like this in this world of snake oil and used car salesmen.

Hahaha, my last post above... I waited this long because I thought the transition would be too hard or something? Stupid waste of time...
Very Very inspiring Serr....

I want to do the same with Sound Forge, and just use Reaper for everything as I'm on a Mac.

I am slowly making actions and like you missed the area selection and just editing that directly on the file as SF is destructive. My biggest hurdle is that Reaper is non-destructive and i should set up folders for projects, as soon as i start editing i have loads of files everywhere, something you don't get with SF as you edit over, so your always sure before you alter something.

It looks like you were a very experienced PT user for a long time so its inspiring that you made the jump to Reaper and you think its much better

I have tried PT and find it slow but the area selection and multi track is like SF which i liked, and even thought about going 'back' to PT but like you and many others have said, it is old and clunky now and doesn't have the hold like it used too.

The fact i dont use a dongle (Reaper doesn't need one) puts me off even re-trying the demo for PT11

Maybe a good thing...
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #733
airon

I made a couple of little custom actions in the past months for my effects and dialogue editing in Reaper. All one-key affairs.

Two custom actions selects the item under the mouse cursor, places the edit cursor where the mouse cursor is and does a fade in or out. If you hold down the key that fires that custom action off you have a mouse-over-fade for a single item. Oh, and I set the fade shape too. I needed that.

Then there's setting the snap point(sync point in Protools). I really like that Reaper can have the video follow the snap point of an item when I drag it. It makes foley and effects editing easier.

And then there's seeing the waveforms while dragging, slipping(move contents, not item) and sliding(move item, not contents).

So, plenty of practical reasons really. Getting used to Reaper took me some time, but I bend it to my needs more and more every day, so editing is a breeze. PT is static.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #734
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I made a couple of little custom actions in the past months for my effects and dialogue editing in Reaper. All one-key affairs.

Two custom actions selects the item under the mouse cursor, places the edit cursor where the mouse cursor is and does a fade in or out. If you hold down the key that fires that custom action off you have a mouse-over-fade for a single item. Oh, and I set the fade shape too. I needed that.

Then there's setting the snap point(sync point in Protools). I really like that Reaper can have the video follow the snap point of an item when I drag it. It makes foley and effects editing easier.

And then there's seeing the waveforms while dragging, slipping(move contents, not item) and sliding(move item, not contents).

So, plenty of practical reasons really. Getting used to Reaper took me some time, but I bend it to my needs more and more every day, so editing is a breeze. PT is static.

I'm still mucking my way through this kind of thing. When I do narrative editing (at my real job, I bought Reaper for my home studio) I need to go bang-bang-bang-bang-bang and do like a secretary takes dictation. That's the nature of the beast. The truth is that PT has never been a hindrance to use for editing for me, it's always been fast. I think the issue for an experienced editor checking out editing in Reaper is that it does so many things that really should be off by default and not on. Find out about a feature/function and try it by turning it on. Nearly all of the time I don't want the view amount to ever change, and I want to go to fronts and ends of regions and play from there with a set preroll, and also click at places within it and do the same, hear where I'm clicking, edit that, move on. I don't want anything else to happen! : ) It's been taking me the longest time to figure out how to do the simplest things (grab a syllable from this part of the file, paste it there, make it right) without unexpected and unwanted things happening.

I appreciate the power of Reaper, and I'm determined to make it work for me. But the "static" nature of PT is actually part of its strength for an editor. Actually Performer, Cubase and even Logic are not ideal narrative editing environments as popular as they are in the writing, arranging and production communities, even when you set them up as best they can be for it.

Honestly, for editing, Reaper really should make a menu option that simply makes the whole thing behave without all the innovative behavior without the user having to go through SO MANY things just to stop them from happening. Then if I want to get creative switch it back. I've gotten it tamed down a bit but I'm very far from making it as fast as PT for editing narration. It takes so much on the user part just to learn how to get to these functions just to turn them off.

I find the docs not as much help as I hoped in this sense, probably since a lot of it means going into SWS menu and knowing what to look for. Any tips about what I'm missing here would be great, as, as I say, I'm trying to get comfortable enough in Reaper to work as fast in it as I do in PT, because for 75% of what I do speed is everything, the creativity is all in the cuts not in the power of the DAW. The other 25% I can have fun with.

Cheers!
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #735
airon

Sounds like me a while back.

Those choices are plentiful and require careful study. You need to stop duplicating stuff and stick to the very basics, if you aren't doing that already.

Trim, split, cut, paste, fade. Moving around the edges of material. Basic stuff. If there's something you need and can't find it right away, ask. It'll usually take less than a day to get creative ideas going.

It's not a replica of anything else, it's an algamation of many decent ideas from all over that you get to pick from, and it takes time to grasp it, which is why I wouldn't recommend just dumping one system for the other.

Give it time and practice. That's the most painful part, because it's feeling like the intern again, and I didn't like that . Felt like the first I sat at an Augan workstation, or the first tape I spliced.

Keep Reaper as a hobby until you get there, but I can tell you it's worth it. And your config is portable(Preferences/General), so the "it's in every studio" is bullshit right out the gate, which is what all Avid Media Composer editors will tell you as well. They've carried configs around for 20 yeasr.

So get comfortable and enjoy the ride until the engine sounds just the way you like it.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote