Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
n997
Human being with feelings

Default Any way to see which functions, shortcuts etc. are most used?

I'm customizing Reaper for specific workflows, and was wondering if there are any means to track what user is doing, and make a list of most used functions, actions, shortcuts and so on. After that, I'd reorder menus, toolbars etc. for what's used most often, to streamline that workflow.

So, is there any kind of telemetry log or usage tracking function (or action or script for that) already existing?

I've tried searching "most used", "often used", "most often", "telemetry", etc. couldn't find much in the forum nor in PDF user guide.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
So, is there any kind of telemetry log or usage tracking function (or action or script for that) already existing?
Not really that I know of. Undo history is tracking what you have done, but you'd still have to remember yourself in what way you did those things in there.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
n997

Well, undo history will have to do, good that RPP-UNDO files are plain text.

I've written a crude JavaScript that reads a RPP-UNDO file, picks names of undo events, logs how many instances there are per name, and gives a list sorted by number of instances found.

That takes care of my immediate need, but it'd be fun to make such script in Reaper

Since I'm a complete beginner in scripting Reaper, I have to ask before attempting, is it possible to do all of the following with, for example, Lua:

- based on project name, open the RPP-UNDO file for reading as text
- search the text for instances of "<UENT `"
- pick out the strings between "<UENT `" and next "`"
- place those strings into array with [0]s containing string and [1]s the number of found instances
- sort the array based on numbers in [1]
- show the result to the user in a text window with select and copy ability - and/or save it as a .txt or .csv file to project directory?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
cfillion

Yes, Lua can do that. Also if you know C++ you could write an extension that logs the actions before they are run.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
n997

Attached is a "crude but adequate" Lua script for this.

It asks for RPP-UNDO file and then looks for UENT entries in it. During this time, hourglass or beachball cursor may appear, especially if the RPP-UNDO file is long and/or is on a network volume.

The script then lists found events to ReaScript console output, in order of how many times they were found in RPP-UNDO file. The resulting text is copyable and - unless there are uncommon special characters in item names etc. - should be CSV-compatible, with semicolons as separators.

The script then asks whether to save a timestamped .CSV file into same directory as the selected RPP-UNDO.

Tested on:
Reaper v5.963/64 Mac
Reaper v5.984/x64 Windows

At the time of posting, tested to open RPP-UNDO files up to 44MB in size.
Written by a beginner scripter, so no guarantees - and apologies for errors, if any are found
Attached Files
File Type: lua n997 show most used events from undo history.lua (3.4 KB, 102 views)