Old 11-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
tpulse
Human being with feelings

Default Ik mutlimedia group buy

I belive that many know about this Ik multimedia group buy already, what to buy and what would you choose between these ???

Master EQ 432
EQ PA
EQ PB
EQ PG
EQ 73
EQ 81
Precision Comp/Limiter
Bus Compressor
tpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
cprompt

My choice:

Master EQ 432
EQ PG
Bus Compressor

And for the fourth?... Dunno, probably EQ 73 or EQ 81 but I'm undecided there.

I didn't want to like the EQ432 because it's the most expensive plugin and I wanted to go in at a cheaper level to get my freebies. Unfortunately, I demoed it and it really is something rather special indeed.

The EQPG is amazing - it just opens up whatever I put it on, it's like taking a blanket off my speakers.

The Bus Compressor, yeah, really pulls everything together nicely.

I also liked the Precision Comp too but I found it a bit of a one-trick pony - sounded great on the master buss but meh on anything else. Could be that it really is brilliant and I am not (the likely explanation!).

The bundles IK are doing right now are great value too - picked up the Vintage Compressors bundle for £40!
cprompt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
tpulse

I own almost all T-racks stuff (Not these: Arc system 2, White channel, tape echo and those i mentioned )..
i really need to try these out what's best for me
What's the difference between the bus compressor and opto compressor (this is a very transparent one) when speaking about glue effect?

They say that these eq's seem to have a character and warmth, i think about the ik multimedia " EQP-1A" when they write about these kind of things.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
serstickman

EQ 432
Bus Compressor
Precision Comp/Limiter

I own the 432 and LOVE IT
Old 11-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
tpulse

after a few hours of testing = I luv
EQ PG
EQ PB
EQ PA
i own a few compressors from IK and i use them a lot in this chain what i test ...i've to say... holy shit!!!!!! that sound i got :O there's that push and sound in it...i'm satisfied...oh yes... i'm satisfied take my Money
Old 11-29-2014, 01:39 AM   #6
DarkStar

You sayin' there's a chance?

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/trgb/
Old 11-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
carbon

So, this group buy works with existing gear credits too?

If so, then decisions, decisions...

It wouldn't probably make sense to buy any that are already available in bundles: T-RackS British Studio Series for an example goes for €100.- anyway.

On the other hand...
Old 11-30-2014, 02:34 AM   #8
DarkStar

Yep, see Peter's post of 05 November:
http://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/...pic.php?t=9184
Old 11-30-2014, 05:54 AM   #9
jrides

Buss and Opto sound different. That's the difference. I like buss on drums when I want them glued. Opt9 on vox.
jrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post

You sayin' there's a chance?

DarkStar, there was someone who kept track of numbers like this in a group buy last year, or in years past, I think. Was that you? I'm a numbers guy myself.

Is there a chance? There's always a chance, but this looks rather slim. You can see the rate of registrations has picked up slightly. With only a few days left, it's a long shot. IK might extend the sale, or throw in a bonus or something. I think they've done that before to spur things along. It's still a great deal as it stands, but here's hoping.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:41 AM   #11
DarkStar

Yep, I've done it in the past for IK Multimedia and for Sonic Reality / eSoundz.

1304 now, so the rate has picked up as you say. On track for ~1600 at the moment:

Old 12-01-2014, 04:17 AM   #12
tpulse

I ended up with these
Bus compressor
EQ PG
EQ PB
EQ PA
Old 12-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
carbon

Is the Bus Compressor modeled after the same stuff than the Cytomic Glue that lots of people are recommending?
Old 12-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
cprompt

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Is the Bus Compressor modeled after the same stuff than the Cytomic Glue that lots of people are recommending?
Yes indeed, the compressor from an SSL 4000.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #15
mixer

DarkStar, how about an updated graph as this GB heads into its final day? The numbers have really picked up. If a lot of lucky buyers get on board right mighty quick, this might actually hit 2000.

I might be mistaken, but if IKM doesn't update their counter because of a lot of people piling in and slowing them down, the actual number in the pool might be higher than the website shows. If places like Audio Deluxe (where I bought in, discount oh yeah) are swamped, then registrations might be behind and that could also be making the actual number of participants higher than what is showing.

So who knows? But, ooooh, "I'm dreaming of a fourth plug-in" (sung to the tune of White Christmas)
Old 12-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
bluzkat

Its going to be close. There are going to have to be a lot of people who were waiting for the last day.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:31 AM   #17
DarkStar

Old 12-04-2014, 02:57 AM   #18
Arran

Extended for an extra 10 days. Just when I thought my wallet was safe....
Arran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:34 AM   #19
Arran

I've currently got the white 2A, Black 76, 670 and the quad comp. When it gets to 2000 regs I'll add the quad image and jump back onboard for the EQ PG, EQ 73, EQ 81, bus compressor and maybe the British channel. I've already got the API 550 clones as part of the waves $49 deal, but if anybody's considering those it's worth knowing that the free tdr/vos slick eq on 'American' setting matches the curves exactly, just divide the freq by ~3 for the hi shelf and multiply by ~3 for the low shelf, output stage 'mellow' for the same harmonic distortion.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #20
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
Extended for an extra 10 days. Just when I thought my wallet was safe....
They really want me to have that 4th plugin... don't they!!

Old 12-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #21
Arran

I really want you to have that 4th plugin, which is why I've jumped early and bought the EQ PG; didn't want to miss audiodeluxe's 25% off cyber monday deal.
I'm a total consumer sheep.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #22
mixer

DarkStar, thanks for the graph. Look at that slope!

And 10 days extension now!

Arran, I feel the love. I'm a willing consumer sheep as well, especially when the price is right.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #23
ivansc

I get really tempted by these "deals" till I remember all the hassles I have had with IKMM software over the last couple of years.

Keep reminding myself what happened to their older stuff the last time Windows upgraded..... and the time before.....

Most of what I have IS now working without me having to be in admin mode all the time, but frankly I have not bothered installing it on the new win8.1 machine I built a couple of months ago.

Written my "investment" off and moved on to plugs where I don't have to keep my fingers crossed every time I start the DAW, even though most of the posts I see for ST3 etc ARE generally positive.

I sincerely hope ALL of you who take advantage of this have a good experience with the plugs.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:42 AM   #24
DarkStar

I've added in the new ramp for 2,000 by 14 December. No slacking, though.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #25
mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I get really tempted by these "deals" till I remember all the hassles I have had with IKMM software over the last couple of years.

Keep reminding myself what happened to their older stuff the last time Windows upgraded..... and the time before.....

Most of what I have IS now working without me having to be in admin mode all the time, but frankly I have not bothered installing it on the new win8.1 machine I built a couple of months ago.

Written my "investment" off and moved on to plugs where I don't have to keep my fingers crossed every time I start the DAW, even though most of the posts I see for ST3 etc ARE generally positive.

I sincerely hope ALL of you who take advantage of this have a good experience with the plugs.
I know what you mean. I have a million and one drum kits from a group buy a number of years ago. A pain to figure out who esoundz was and IKMM's role and downloadablesounds or whoever and where my account was, and instructions a mile long, etc., if I even remember right. I haven't used the kits. Maybe one, I think. Perhaps I should revisit. They sounded good in the demos. I was just so worn out from the hassle, I didn't want any more grief.

BUT, these T-Racks plugins are fine to get up and running. And they sound good. Number of participants is approaching 2000!
Old 12-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #26
Likko

Yeah, I almost messed up. I was gonna go in on this and choose the Brit and White channel strips and the buss comp and my freebies...

Then I saw that I could get all three of those for 75 in a bundle anyways!

I gotta figure this out. Is the authorization method still the same for offline pcs? Or am I forced to install custom shop and go through all that?
Likko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #27
p_wats

I'm on the fence. I'm new to paid plugins (been surviving off of ReaPlugs & Variety of Sound, basically), but have been demoing everything from IK and the PluginAlliance daily sale (bought the Brainworx bx_digital V2).

I like the IK GUIs better than the free stuff I've got, but is something like the IK White 2A that much better than Antress' Lost Angel or VoS Thrillseeker LA?

I do like the 432 EQ demo though...having a tough time beating that one.
p_wats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #28
cprompt

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_wats View Post
...but is something like the IK White 2A that much better than Antress' Lost Angel or VoS Thrillseeker LA?
Only you can answer that, I'm afraid, by demoing them and coming to your own conclusions. The Antress stuff is pretty long in the tooth and VoS still doggedly clings to an old, 32-bit, VST-only framework for his plugins. That's not to say they aren't any good, in fact far from it, most of the VoS stuff is really very good indeed. Just because something is free doesn't mean it is inferior to a paid product, it just means the developer enjoys what they do and is happy to give them away for no financial remuneration.

Bottom line is, you have to demo them yourself and make up your own mind. I would say, however, when it comes to modelling old gear (like the White 2A), I am more likely to trust a company who can actually buy or rent an original model, go through the circuit diagrams, stick analysers all over the place and spend hours and hours tweaking the plugin until it is as near as dammit, over a guy who, well, doesn't do that. That is, IF I want an LA-2A plugin that sounds like an LA-2A. Maybe you don't and the free stuff out there will meet your needs without you having to spend a penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_wats View Post
I do like the 432 EQ demo though...having a tough time beating that one.
Yeah, that is one special plugin. If you're going to take the plunge on the 432, then do it now so you can get your free White 2A plugin and whatever else takes your fancy.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:36 AM   #29
tpulse

And at last i choosed the Eq81
Old 12-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #30
acousticglue

The real question is: Does a guy who uses the guitar interfaces and owns most of T_Racks need spend more quid on more EQ compressor plugins? (Although I did just update PC to 16GB memory for it lol)
acousticglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #31
cprompt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulse View Post
And at last i choosed the Eq81
You won't be sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticglue View Post
The real question is: Does a guy who uses the guitar interfaces and owns most of T_Racks need spend more quid on more EQ compressor plugins?
You already know the answer to that
Old 12-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #32
dub3000

i came so close to jumping in - but i think i have too many plugins. including a bunch of these already.

the 670 vintage compressor is really sweet, btw. i use that one a fair bit. the meter is pretty comprehensive as well. the only other one i keep around is the vintage eq (pultec clone), ends up needing a good HPF following it so i don't get it out very often but the top-end is nice.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #33
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
[...] when it comes to modelling old gear (like the White 2A), I am more likely to trust a company who can actually buy or rent an original model, go through the circuit diagrams, stick analysers all over the place and spend hours and hours tweaking the plugin until it is as near as dammit, over a guy who, well, doesn't do that. That is, IF I want an LA-2A plugin that sounds like an LA-2A.
This may sound a bit funny to users of Universal Audio's emulations.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #34
Likko

Well, I couldn't handle it anymore and caved in. Part of me feels a bit weird about only buying eq plugs. But I'll end up with:

Master EQ 432
Eq 73
Eq 81
Eq PA
And most likely the EQ PG

Good choices on the freebies?

I'm also grab the British series bundle before January. So, I'm good!
Old 12-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #35
cprompt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likko View Post
Good choices on the freebies?
Well, I bought the Master EQ 432 and got the EQ 81 and EQ PG so I reckon those are pretty good choices!
Old 12-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #36
Likko

Just wondering if I'm better off grabbing the Precision Comp over the Eq81 or Eq PA?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #37
Arran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likko View Post
Just wondering if I'm better off grabbing the Precision Comp over the Eq81 or Eq PA?
TDR's free Slick EQ in 'American' mode matches the API/Eq PA shelving and bell curves exactly, so you could have all 3.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #38
carbon

I'm still choosing the last one between:
Black 76 Limiting Amplifier
White 2A Levelling Amplifier
White Channel Modern Channel Strip
British Channel Solid-State Channel Strip

Not sure about the channel strips, if they are that useful if I have separate plugins for eq, comp anyway...
Old 12-13-2014, 11:55 PM   #39
ivansc

Think about it in terms of potential cpu hit.

I use the SSL Nuende channel strip a LOT.

A lot of bang for a relatively small cpu hit compared to doing the equivalent with discrete plugs.

Damn I am getting SO tempted by this!

Last day.....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:01 AM   #40
p_wats

I took my sweet time, but finally dove in. In the end I decided the 432 was overkill for my needs and started with the EQ 73 and Bus Compressor.

I'm pretty sure I'll pick up the British Channel and White LA as 2 other options, but can't decide on the final one.

I like the 670, but am temped by something off the wall like the Tape Echo.
p_wats is offline   Reply With Quote