Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 05-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #241
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
SHIFT+B...
Oh my god! So you did it!
It was just before my eyes and i couldn't even see it! [...]

Thanks again for all this and for your kind answers when my eyes are half closed!
Feel free to blame me for that - I deliberately didn't tell you guys the whole story from the start. Partly to see how intuitive things currently are without much explanation, partly not to overwhelm you with too much stuff at once. And partly because I was too lazy too type all of it at once.

If it works well for you, now maybe try designing a custom (Mixer Panel) track layout to suit your preferences? I'd suggest to use the same *width* as the default layout, anything else can be changed. For example, adding a thick line in a bright color at the bottom such as SONAR does. (I'm not yet very familiar with WALTER myself, but I imagine it can't be all that difficult to make a few changes to an existing track layout without breaking it.)
Quote:
...And yes Windows seems to behave differently from Mac OS. In my case, i had to focus manually on the GUI everytime a new FX window was opened or closed, for example. I don't know if N2N has experimented the same thing, but this can explain my confusion...
Good to know! Yeah that seems pretty terrible... I've seen other problems related to window z-order and focus, too. For example, opening the I/O window is useless when REAPER doesn't have focus: it immediately disappears again. :-/

Perhaps we should focus on trying to find a good set of keyboard shortcuts for REAPER, and not use keyboard inputs at the script's end at all (and just always keep focus on REAPER).
Old 05-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #242
jico27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Feel free to blame me for that - I deliberately didn't tell you guys the whole story from the start. Partly to see how intuitive things currently are without much explanation, partly not to overwhelm you with too much stuff at once.
No, i certainly wouldn't blame you for that, for the reason you've mentioned. This really was a big parcel to unpack, if i may say so.

Quote:
...For example, adding a thick line in a bright color at the bottom such as SONAR does. (I'm not yet very familiar with WALTER myself, but I imagine it can't be all that difficult to make a few changes to an existing track layout without breaking it.)
I'd be so happy to see that!

Quote:
Perhaps we should focus on trying to find a good set of keyboard shortcuts for REAPER, and not use keyboard inputs at the script's end at all (and just always keep focus on REAPER).
As i don't know what the script shortcuts could specifically bring, i would be tempted to say yes. But maybe N2N has some new informations about it?
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #243
N2NPro

Hi Guys,

SWS installed and testing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
The jog now uses the transport rewind/forward functions, but it would be easy enough to make it use actions that move by either beats or measures (like the shuttle now uses). And we could use the MIDI modifier button / SHIFT modifier key to switch between beats and measures.
(... done. )
YAY!

Quote:
It's easy enough to require more clicks, but I'm afraid that wouldn't help much - I think it would feel awkward when it may or may not respond when you turn it, depending on how much clicks you still have to go in either way.

Perhaps buttons with a mechanism like you have when holding down a computer keyboard key (send once, wait, start sending at fast rate until key is released) would be most suitable for switching (track / plug-in parameter) banks.

And yeah, designing/customizing user interfaces is very much a matter of experimenting, getting used to different ways of doing things, finding out what best suits your personal preferences and workflow.
I'm still fond/accustomed of/to the current layout. Not opposed to trying something new but I like this set up with mixer/sends/receives knob and FX param bank knob. Modifier is awesome-> arm rec/select buttons, FX param Pan2 fine/coarse control, solo sel/solo defeat, and mute sel/input monitor toggle... Great stuff indeed!

Quote:
For another perspective: I have also made setups with GUIs that assume that you're *not* looking at REAPER's GUI, but have plenty of physical controls, and a spare computer connected to the same network with its display(s) behind the controller(s). And then try to be smart, like "oh, this effect is ReaEQ and the parameter is a frequency - since we know ReaEQ's frequency scaling is plain wrong, we'll use a custom function to correct its values", or "this parameter needs smaller steps, so send SysEx to the controller to switch the mode for this specific knob to absolute 14-bit on the fly". You can imagine things becoming ever more complicated, I guess.
N2N's head spinning off shoulders......

Quote:
Ok, let me try to give another very basic lesson then, which I suspect you guys aren't aware of yet: everything to the right of two (or more) forward slashes is a *comment*, the script will completely ignore it (i.e. regard it as a comment, intended for reading by humans rather than by scripts). Now, a very basic technique to quickly change how things work, is to 'abuse' comments for "commenting out" lines of code by adding "//" characters to the left) to disable them. You'll see in the script that I've used this techique quite a bit. Whenever you see a line starting with "//" to the left, it is not working - until you "uncomment" it by removing "//" to the left.

Turning to our example, there are three options, of which two are commented out, thus disabled. Apparently, you correctly changed the line with the third option, but since it was still commented out, its effect was not 'seen' by the script. To make the change, apart from pasting in your Custom ID string, you would also need to 'uncomment' option 3, and 'comment out' option 2 (the latter only for 'tidy housekeeping' - it really doesn't do much harm to send out messages which have no effect, it just wastes a tiny bit CPU time and networking bandwidth).
Thanks for the tip... I changed it back to your original script and added my custom ID's then un-commented option #3 and mute/solo selected work as you said!! Awesome.

Quote:
For example, with the setting "DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS LAST_TOUCHED" you'd just click on another track to select it in REAPER to also make it 'selected' for the 'OSC device', so then it will switch to the receives/sends for that track. Then you can also set up keyboard shortcuts for the arrow keys on REAPER's end to select previous/next track in the same way: "Track: Go to previous track" / "Track: Go to next track" (Cmd ID 40285/40286) should do the trick, so you wouldn't need to have focus on the script's GUI window.
I prefer "last_touched" due to being able to mouse select a track and then switch modes to "sends" to control them without having the script GUI in focus. I prefer having the FX UI open only when script GUI is in focus and arrowing L/R, Up/Dwn to navigate. Using "shift+O" or simply "O" also works great. This method seems less confusing to me.

Quote:
Perhaps, to prevent confusion, it would be better to use a modifier key for receives/sends, so you would not get 'stuck' in mode 2 or 3 - you'd snap back to 'regular' mode 1 as soon as you release the modifier key. Does that make sense?
I prefer it the way it is now. I like having my other hand free (to scratch balls if needed )

Quote:
SHIFT+B is an attempt to implement your FR to show the currently selected track bank in REAPER's mixer. Give it a try!
Seems to work regardless of SWS although with it you have more functions. It highlights the track name section of my Theme and is easy to recognize. Banking is less important to me... I use the MCP/TCP and mouse to navigate, I also have several MCP screensets-> one to display only 8x channels and others to show linear or stacked views of 16-32 channels (where highlighted banking comes in handy).

Quote:
But, just to be clear: when I start OSCII-bot or reload the script, the script's GUI window appears on *top* of OSCII-bot's main ("console") window. So as long as I only use ALT+TAB (CMD+TAB in my case, on OS X), the focus stays on either some window in REAPER, or the script's GUI.

Is this behavior perhaps different on Windows?
Windows works the same (I believe) it depends on how many windows you have open. If it's just Reaper and your new GUI, Alt+Tab switches between the two. If you have more than those two windows open, Alt+Tab toggles the last selected or when Alt is held, Tab toggles between the open windows. I close all windows except the script FX GUI and Reaper, this way Alt+Tab toggles perfectly between the two. Pretty easy once you get used to it.

As for the next incarnations, I am not opposed to trying anything.
Wish list as of now:
-Active Mode indicator
-Single key stroke or no key stroke to focus script GUI
-Master fader feedback
-Sends/Receives volume/pan metering (perhaps when switching modes the GUI could change from FX to Sends meters also indicating which mode is active)

That being said, if the project ceased continued development today, I would still be over the moon!!!!! The Peavey StudioMix LIVES on and IMHO a million time more valuable than when used with its proprietary software Sonar.

Thank you again so much!!!!!

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:55 AM   #244
jico27

Happy to see everything is working alright for you N2N!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Hi Guys,
Windows works the same (I believe) it depends on how many windows you have open.
N2N
Are you using Windows or Mac OSX?
It's not working the same way for me. As i said before, even if you have only reaper and oscii-bot open, ALT+TAB always focusses on the script UI instead of the GUI...

It seems that i'm experimenting some difficulties in reproducing the same way of functioning with Windows as the one you have with Mac OS X.
Most of the new functions are available only if the GUI is focused.
Either it comes from some specific setting of my ALT+TAB windows shortcut, which i'm doubting about, or it works like this natively.
After some short tests, and noticing that ALT+TAB is generating such a mess in the case of Windows, it appeared to me, as you suggested it, that relying mainly on reaper shortcuts associated with sws actions should certainly be a better solution. But it doesn't seems to work that way for me.
Quote:
Then you can also set up keyboard shortcuts for the arrow keys on REAPER's end to select previous/next track in the same way: "Track: Go to previous track" / "Track: Go to next track" (Cmd ID 40285/40286) should do the trick, so you wouldn't need to have focus on the script's GUI window.
These keys being already mapped to: view: move cursor right one pixel/move cursor left one pixel, i have to overwrite them. Done. But the GUI have to be focused on to work properly.
Consequently, this is very hard for me to use this version as is, even if i have to change all the reaper existing shortcuts to make it work.
There is something i don't really understand in all that...
Quote:
Perhaps, to prevent confusion, it would be better to use a modifier key for receives/sends, so you would not get 'stuck' in mode 2 or 3 - you'd snap back to 'regular' mode 1 as soon as you release the modifier key. Does that make sense?
Yes it does! In a certain way...
Actually, i would say that it doesn't bother me to get stuck in such or such mode if i can see somewhere which mode i'm in (already on the to-do list, i know).
Using a modifier would make the receives/sends modes very temporary modes, which could be useful in certain cases, for example when a quick action is required. But it could also prevent to do other gestures if a longer use of these modes is needed. So i don't know if these two approaches could be made compatible.
This is not compulsory for me, anyway.
Quote:
SHIFT+B is an attempt to implement your FR to show the currently selected track bank in REAPER's mixer. Give it a try!
Of course i love this function! And i guess it will be bettered with the sonar way feature. What a huge surprise for me, even if it's only usable for a standard layout at the moment! Making it usable with different layouts would be amazing!

Regardless of the problem mentioned above, i can tell you what's working for me...
SHIFT+P= inverse the phase
Backspace= Bypass
o= toggles in reaper the window FX display of the last selected track
SHIFT+O= the display in reaper follows or not the one of the GUI (is that right?)

...and what's not
b, p, d, \ don't appear to have any effect for me in reaper
+/- the presets names don't appear in the GUI but they appear and change normally in the reaper FX window
Old 05-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #245
N2NPro

Jico27,
Try minimizing the main OSCII-bot window by clicking the "X" at the top right corner (this will minimize and not close the window). Verify it is still running by the icon on the task bar. Then you should have two windows open, Reaper and the script FX GUI. Now try Alt+Tab. Let me know if it works.
I'm on my phone atm and will go into more detail regarding workflow later.

N2N
Old 05-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #246
Banned

Quote:
[...] i don't know what the script shortcuts could specifically bring [...]
There are only a few things which 'have to' be handled at the script's end.

The most important ones involve selection state (track / track bank / effect slot / effect parameter bank), since REAPER's selection is an entirely different concept than the device's selection (in REAPER you can't even have a "selected" effect or bank). To some extent we can use settings that make the device selection 'follow' whatever is selected / last touched / focused in REAPER, but that approach does not allow for a completely independent operation.

Second: the keyboard shortcuts which directly affect how the script itself operates. This is just another (more user-friendly) way of changing a variable in the script from 0 to 1 or vice versa. If you don't need the flexibility to toggle some script 'functions' on/off, you don't need the shortcuts.

On the other hand, many keyboard shortcuts now simply trigger an action in REAPER, and could thus be *very* easily be moved to REAPER's end.

But, like you have also noticed, many of these keys may already be mapped (by default or as customisation) to other functions in REAPER. As I would prefer not to 'mess up' any existing uses of keyboard shortcuts, I actually kind of like the concept of switching focus to another window to get another (independent) set of keyboard shortcuts. (This approach is also compatible with using *multiple* OSC control surface devices, which would not be the case for shortcuts in REAPER.)

I do realise that this sort of stuff is highly subjective, though. And given your issues with switching focus, it certainly makes sense to look at alternative approaches.

Now, for *global* keyboard shortcuts - i.e. doing the same thing regardless on which application has focus - I'd suggest using a (third party) OS-level tool (as I don't expect OSCII-bot nor REAPER to ever be able to capture keyboard input *globally*). The basic idea is that it captures keyboard input at the system level, then sends that shortcut (or some other user-configurable 'command') to the application that should receive it (rather than trying to capture the same events in two applications and then syncing / resolving conflicts between them). For OS X, there are quite a few suitable tools for this purpose; I like BetterTouchTool a lot, as it also supports gestures for multi-touch trackpads, LeapMotion devices, etc. (yeah I'm typically too lazy to even *press* a key. ) For Windows, I think AutoHotKey may be suitable for this purpose.
Quote:
As i said before, even if you have only reaper and oscii-bot open, ALT+TAB always focusses on the script UI instead of the GUI...
That definitely seems to be a problem. Maybe it's even a bug in OSCII-bot...

The other issue that you describe which worries me: when using SHIFT+O or plain "o" while the script's GUI window has focus, in your case, focus switches to the effect window in REAPER. REAPER should definitely not be 'stealing focus' in such a case; that may well be a bug worth reporting.
Quote:
Actually, i would say that it doesn't bother me to get stuck in such or such mode if i can see somewhere which mode i'm in (already on the to-do list, i know).
Using a modifier would make the receives/sends modes very temporary modes, which could be useful in certain cases, for example when a quick action is required. But it could also prevent to do other gestures if a longer use of these modes is needed. So i don't know if these two approaches could be made compatible.
Right, that's what I was also thinking.

Also seeing N2NPro's comments, I guess we'll just stick with 'permanent' modes for the time being then. It should become less confusing after adding some visual feedback to indicate the current mode anyway.
Quote:
What a huge surprise for me, even if it's only usable for a standard layout at the moment! Making it usable with different layouts would be amazing!
Well you *can* use different layouts (and 'comment out' the part where it switches layouts), but then you'll have to use only default track *colors* (the selected bank of tracks will get a non-default color). Currently, mainly for purposes of demonstration, both track layout and color are changed, but you only really *need* one of those to be changed. So if you want to use non-default track layouts or track colors, you have to pick one (and can't use the other).
Quote:
SHIFT+O= the display in reaper follows or not the one of the GUI (is that right?)
Sort of; it automatically opens/closes effect UI windows for the effect selected via the GUI (which in turn may be affected by the selected track in REAPER, and so on). Using it seems easier than explaining it.
Quote:
b, p, d, \ don't appear to have any effect for me in reaper
Maybe check if the SWS actions to switch track pan mode work for you? That's what those first three shortcuts should be triggering. The forward / backward slashes and apostrophe should set the dry/wet level (which is just a tiny knob on the GUI, so perhaps difficult to notice visually - but it should be *audible* pretty well on most effects if you switch between 100% wet and 100% dry!).
Quote:
+/- the presets names don't appear in the GUI but they appear and change normally in the reaper FX window
Hmm, maybe a formatting bug. Fwiw, I'm still not perfectly comfortable with strings (i.e. human-readable text rather than numeric values) in this scripting language, and have probably made a few mistakes here and there.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #247
Banned

Quote:
Try minimizing the main OSCII-bot window by clicking the "X" at the top right corner (this will minimize and not close the window). Verify it is still running by the icon on the task bar. Then you should have two windows open, Reaper and the script FX GUI. Now try Alt+Tab. Let me know if it works.
Good to know this too: that's quite different from its behavior on OS X.

On OS X, clicking the 'X' just closes the entire app. Poof, gone.

Then we have a CMD+H shortcut to "Hide OSCII-bot" - which is cool to have for 'headless' scripts, but kind of useless for GUI windows, which *also* get hidden.

Also, if OSCII-bot's main window (not the script's GUI window) has focus, pressing escape just quits the app without further warning (I already mentioned this last issue in OSCII-bot's thread).
Old 05-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #248
Banned

Quote:
Seems to work regardless of SWS although with it you have more functions. It highlights the track name section of my Theme and is easy to recognize.
Without SWS, I think you will lose the state of selected tracks when switching banks. SWS has actions to save/restore the current track selection state, which the script uses before/after switching banks.

Are you using the default theme, btw? If you set track layout #5 to default with pan at bottom, that will also change. Try which combination you like best - if you already use track colors a lot, you may consider using only track layouts to indicate selected track bank.
Quote:
-Sends/Receives volume/pan metering (perhaps when switching modes the GUI could change from FX to Sends meters also indicating which mode is active)
I think the GUI should *always* show effect parameters, since you can *always* control them using the top row of knobs 1-8.

With regard to volume and pan: of course, I could draw a whole lot of faders and knobs on the GUI. But I'm not sure if that would be a good idea here; I don't want to make a cluttered GUI where only some of the information displayed is actually useful. The position of the faders on the device already roughly show (if all works as expected) the volume, so I don't think it is necessary (and perhaps even distracting) to show much more than dB values as text. For panning, on the other hand, the device can't show you anything. Still, showing only a text string (e.g. "25% L") may very well suffice. So I think I'll start with a text-only display for volume/pan settings.

The next design choice is to decide if we want to display volume and pan values only for the currently selected mode, or display those values simultaneously for tracks / receives / sends (so you can e.g. see send volumes even when in mode 2, controlling track volumes). Taking it even a step further, we could always show volume and pan settings for all 8 tracks in the selected bank, plus for their first 8 receives and sends (NB: that's 9 x 16 x 2 = 288 little strings added to the GUI window; which may already be way too much clutter.)
Old 05-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #249
jico27

@N2N

Quote:
Jico27,
N2N
Thanks for the tip!
Yes everything is happening just as you described it.
So, of course it's much better now. But it is not perfect yet.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #250
jico27

Quote:
...I actually kind of like the concept of switching focus to another window to get another (independent) set of keyboard shortcuts. (This approach is also compatible with using *multiple* OSC control surface devices, which would not be the case for shortcuts in REAPER.)
I think i will support that. Definitely. Especially if these shortcuts aren't too numerous and grouped around the arrows to be more accessible rapidly.
This is also why i was wondering whether keys like end/start, for example, couldn't be used instead of 4500 to increment the FX bank parameters, in order to have all the concerned commands in the same place.

Quote:
The basic idea is that it captures keyboard input at the system level, then sends that shortcut (or some other user-configurable 'command') to the application that should receive it (rather than trying to capture the same events in two applications and then syncing / resolving conflicts between them). For OS X, there are quite a few suitable tools for this purpose; I like BetterTouchTool a lot, as it also supports gestures for multi-touch trackpads, LeapMotion devices, etc. (yeah I'm typically too lazy to even *press* a key. ) For Windows, I think AutoHotKey may be suitable for this purpose.
Absolutely. Good idea.

Quote:
The other issue that you describe which worries me: when using SHIFT+O or plain "o" while the script's GUI window has focus, in your case, focus switches to the effect window in REAPER. REAPER should definitely not be 'stealing focus' in such a case; that may well be a bug worth reporting.
I think i'll give a try to few more tests to clear this.

Quote:
Also seeing N2NPro's comments, I guess we'll just stick with 'permanent' modes for the time being then. It should become less confusing after adding some visual feedback to indicate the current mode anyway.
It's a frank Yes for me.

Quote:
Well you *can* use different layouts (and 'comment out' the part where it switches layouts), but then you'll have to use only default track *colors* (the selected bank of tracks will get a non-default color). Currently, mainly for purposes of demonstration, both track layout and color are changed, but you only really *need* one of those to be changed. So if you want to use non-default track layouts or track colors, you have to pick one (and can't use the other).
ok, thanks to be so precise in your answer (as well as in all your answers, btw) but it probably woundn't work with icons on the track, i suppose.
Actually it just doesn't matter that much to me . I don't use icons all the time.

Quote:
Hmm, maybe a formatting bug. Fwiw, I'm still not perfectly comfortable with strings (i.e. human-readable text rather than numeric values) in this scripting language, and have probably made a few mistakes here and there.
To be more precise, the first preset name is displayed in the GUI when a Vst is selected but disappears as soon as the +/- keys are used.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #251
Banned

Quote:
I think i will support that. Definitely. Especially if these shortcuts aren't too numerous and grouped around the arrows to be more accessible rapidly.
This is also why i was wondering whether keys like end/start, for example, couldn't be used instead of 4500 to increment the FX bank parameters, in order to have all the concerned commands in the same place.
"[" and "]" do that. I have no idea where those are located on your computer keyboard; on mine, they are above the cursor keys, a few rows up.

Again, the keyboard shortcuts scheme I chose is completely up for discussion. I just added a bunch of things in places that seemed to make sense for purposes of demonstration; feel free to suggest any improvements you can think of. It may take some 'flight hours' to make up your mind for this sort of stuff, and may heavily depend on your typical workflow.

In the script, around line 1100 or so, there are a bunch of lines starting with "char==" and then some character (code), usually followed by some REAPER action. It should be quite easy to modify some of them or add a few to suit your preferences, or just to experiment a little bit.
Quote:
[...] it probably woundn't work with icons on the track, i suppose.
Haven't tried yet... if it works for you as is, great; but maybe test how it works with various corner cases (other themes, track icons, whatever) just to be sure you pick a scheme that won't become too much of a restriction later on.
Quote:
To be more precise, the first preset name is displayed in the GUI when a Vst is selected but disappears as soon as the +/- keys are used.
Useful to know this for debugging, thanks.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #252
jico27

Hi again,

Two more questions, now that the focusing process is a bit more stable:

If i press "o", shouldn't the FX windows of any given track close themselves each time i navigate to another track?
Currently they don't. I have to press escape to close them. So immediately, the GUI is de-focused.
At the contrary, SHIFT+O doesn't make any problem since no window is opened during the navigation.

SHIFT+B is ok if i press it once. 8 tracks are highlighted and the navigation between banks of tracks is correct.
If i press it a second time, shouldn't all the tracks be deslected to go back to the 'one track at a time' mode?
They don't either. So i just know if i'm in the right mode if i use FWBank or PRVBank, which in this case don't work.

BTW the rest of the actions "p", "b", "d", etc now work for me with the new SWS version 2.4.0.3.

Thank you

jico

Last edited by jico27; 05-22-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #253
jico27

Quote:
"[" and "]" do that. I have no idea where those are located on your computer keyboard; on mine, they are above the cursor keys, a few rows up.
Yes they do, but they are in the upper row and i have to press Alt+Gr to activate them. So i would prefer something more rapidly accessible, like end/start, situated just above the arrow keys.

Quote:
In the script, around line 1100 or so, there are a bunch of lines starting with "char==" and then some character (code), usually followed by some REAPER action. It should be quite easy to modify some of them or add a few to suit your preferences, or just to experiment a little bit.
Good to know. I'll give a try to this. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #254
jico27

Oh BTW, i don't think this was a bug. Just bad manipulation from my part, certainly. Reaper is not 'stealing the focus' from the GUI.

Have a nice evening!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #255
Banned

Quote:
If i press "o", shouldn't the FX windows of any given track close themselves each time i navigate to another track?
Currently they don't. I have to press escape to close them. So immediately, the GUI is de-focused.
That's not how I designed it. I intended that as a manual way of opening (or closing) whatever effect windows you want, as many as you want.

But it would be easy enough (adding one line) to make it closes all other effect UI windows whenever you open a new one. ("There's an action for that." )
Quote:
At the contrary, SHIFT+O doesn't make any problem since no window is opened during the navigation.
No window is opened at the moment you press SHIFT+O. But when you start navigation (i.e. using cursor keys) with this mode enabled, it should certainly open effect UI windows...
Quote:
SHIFT+B is ok if i press it once. 8 tracks are highlighted and the navigation between banks of tracks is correct.
If i press it a second time, shouldn't all the tracks be deslected to go back to the 'one track at a time' mode?
They don't either. So i just know if i'm in the right mode if i use FWBank or PRVBank, which in this case don't work.
No. If all works as intended, it has nothing at all to do with track selection, so tracks shouldn't get (de)selected when switching this on or off. Tracks should only revert their Mixer Panel track layout and/or color to default settings. You should be able to have some track(s) selected, switch that mode on or off, and still have the exact same track(s) selected in REAPER as you had before switching. (Since that's what the SWS actions to save/restore selected track(s) should be doing automatically).
Quote:
BTW the rest of the actions "p", "b", "d", etc now work for me with the new SWS version 2.4.0.3.
Ah, that explains why they didn't work before.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:19 AM   #256
jico27

Hi Banned,

I've just made a few tests for the SHIFT+B command.
To do so, i created 2 projects: one with icons, another without icons.
As we already know, all kind of icons are compatible: reaper icons, personal icons i created for my own needs and even old sonar icons (see photo).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgfac1mcvd...2010.37.57.png
The SWS actions "toggle Show/hide icons in the mixer" was also very useful to see the general behavior.
There i could notice that the highlight wasn't of the same nature than in a project with no icons.
So far, the whole surface of the faders 'boxes' are brightly highlighted (in the mixer as well in the TCP). Here, the highlight, in pale grey is only concerning the top small 'boxes' above the tracks faders.
This position is almost exactly what i was wishing. Doen't really matters if the highlight is above or under the faders. Except that i would prefer a more flashy colour than tis pale grey to make the selection immediately identifyable.
At the contrary, nothing is selected in the TCP, in this case.

Hope this may help!

Btw, is there an option in oscii-bot that allows the GUI to "always stay on top"? Currently, it disappears if i focus on reaper.

Last edited by jico27; 05-23-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:12 AM   #257
jico27

Quote:
But it would be easy enough (adding one line) to make it closes all other effect UI windows whenever you open a new one. ("There's an action for that." )

No window is opened at the moment you press SHIFT+O. But when you start navigation (i.e. using cursor keys) with this mode enabled, it should certainly open effect UI windows...
As I said before, I think the real problem for me is that the GUI is constantly de-focused every time a new reaper track FX window is opened via the GUI. In this case i can only navigate through the different FX, but can't continue the navigation through the tracks. So the navigation is constantly stopped and i can't continue the tests properly.
Then i have to close the FX track manually and this is a new occasion for the GUI to de-select. Etc.
Could this be fixed? Or is there a reaper option that prevents the good functioning of this version and could be checked or unchecked to solve the problem?

My main wishes are currently have the oscii-bot GUI:
1. Always on top
2. Always focused until i really focus on another window.

Thanks for your efforts and the hard job all this must represent!
Old 05-23-2014, 04:30 AM   #258
Banned

Quote:
I just made a few tests for the SHIFT+B command.
To do so, i created 2 projects: one with icons, another without icons.
As we already know, all kind of icons are compatible: reaper icons, personal icons i created for my own needs and even old sonar icons (see photo).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgfac1mcvd...2010.37.57.png
The SWS actions "toggle Show/hide icons in the mixer" was also very useful to see the general behavior.
There i could notice that the highlight wasn't of the same nature than in a project with no icons.
So far, the whole surface of the faders 'boxes' are brightly highlighted (in the mixer as well in the TCP). Here, the highlight, in pale grey is only concerning the top small 'boxes' above the tracks faders.
I can't replicate that here. Using the Default theme, when using track icons I can toggle their display on and off, yet the track color still affects more than just the part with the track name. Look:

(You can also see that it preserves the existing selection, as it should.)

Also, all your tracks have layouts with the pan control at the bottom - is that on purpose? Did you perhaps disable the track layout switching, or is it maybe broken for you?
Quote:
This position is almost exactly what i was wishing. Doen't really matters if the highlight is above or under the faders. Except that i would prefer a more flashy colour than tis pale grey to make the selection immediately identifyable.
At the contrary, nothing is selected in the TCP, in this case.
That's possible by setting up some custom SWS color, then uncommenting the appropriate line (and commenting out the one that sets the track color to white). There are more instructions in the script, search for the line "// Adjust display of selected bank of tracks (see various options below)". There's also an option that sets a different random color every time you switch banks. Flashy enough for you?
Quote:
Btw, is there an option in oscii-bot that allows the GUI to "always stay on top"? Currently, it disappears if i focus on reaper.
No, I don't think so.

If you run out of screen space, the best thing to do is just get more screens. Maybe ask your girlfriend/wife: "Can you imagine the guys at Wall Street ALT+TABbing? Air traffic controllers? Surgeons? So, why should I to get by with only one screen?"

Btw, one minor flaw I did notice, is that the selected track bank got reset after switching *off* the 'display selected track bank mode' (I restored the previous selection before rather than after making the selected track bank follow REAPER's mixer view again). Fixed already.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #259
Banned

Quote:
As I said before, I think the real problem for me is that the GUI is constantly de-focused every time a new reaper track FX window is opened via the GUI. In this case i can only navigate through the different FX, but can't continue the navigation through the tracks. So the navigation is constantly stopped and i can't continue the tests properly.
Then i have to close the FX track manually and this is a new occasion for the GUI to de-select. Etc.
Could this be fixed? Or is there a reaper option that prevents the good functioning of this version and could be checked or unchecked to solve the problem?

My main wishes are currently have the oscii-bot GUI:
1. Always on top
2. Always focused until i really focus on another window.

Thanks for your efforts and the hard job all this must represent!
1. is not something I can solve on my end. You may be able to find some OS-level tool for doing something like that though. ("Afloat" used to work nice for this on older versions of OS X.)

I don't think I understand 2. What you describe sounds like REAPER *is* 'stealing focus' from OSCII-bot, after all? Maybe make a (small) licecap?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #260
jico27

Hi again Banned,

Yes, i must admit that all this wasn't very clear. Must be kind of boring for you. I apologize.
Anyway...
New test in which, without knowing exactly what changed, things seem to get much better for me!
To be sure i'm not misunderstanding something, i want to describe what's happening now:
I open reaper/focus on the GUI. Navigation is ok (tracks/FX). (This is already a huge progress compared to what i described before).
If i press "o", the FX window of the selected track opens. And stays opened. I can select and open any FX window of a newly selected track as soon as i press "o". All windows stay opened.
So far is it right? (I'll be very happy if it is!)

Then i shut them all/refocus on the GUI/press SHIFT+O
Every time I select a track, the corresponding FX windows opens. It also closes automatically if i switch to the next track, which opens its own FX window in its turn. Etc.
One thing i noticed though: an FX window opened when selecting a new track won't close if the track contains no FX.
Apart from that, everything seems to work as expected now, isn't it?

However, in both cases, some windows always stay opened in reaper. If i want to close them i must focus on reaper (and defocus the GUI).
Wouldn't it be useful to have a shortcut linked to the GUI that could allow to close every windows still opened in reaper to avoid de-focusing again from the GUI? The idea being that the less you focus/defocus the GUI, the better the workflow is.
Would this be possible with Autohotkey, or something equivalent in Windows OS?

Last edited by jico27; 05-25-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #261
jico27

Quote:
I can't replicate that here. Using the Default theme, when using track icons I can toggle their display on and off, yet the track color still affects more than just the part with the track name.
Mmmh yes i admit your display is quite different from mine.

Quote:
...(You can also see that it preserves the existing selection, as it should.)
Yes same for me actually, now...

Here is my licecap (Pressing B twice, then FWBNK / PRVBNK)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6b8sq9cbd...0SHIFT%2BB.gif

Quote:
Also, all your tracks have layouts with the pan control at the bottom - is that on purpose? Did you perhaps disable the track layout switching, or is it maybe broken for you?
Well this doesn't really matter to me, but maybe i'll take a look at it, to be sure. I think this the way you asked us to display the tracks layout in a previous post.

Quote:
That's possible by setting up some custom SWS color, then uncommenting the appropriate line (and commenting out the one that sets the track color to white). There are more instructions in the script, search for the line "// Adjust display of selected bank of tracks (see various options below)". There's also an option that sets a different random color every time you switch banks. Flashy enough for you?
Cool! i'll try that too.

Quote:
I don't think I understand 2. What you describe sounds like REAPER *is* 'stealing focus' from OSCII-bot, after all? Maybe make a (small) licecap?
No, it's not! See my previous post below (#254):
Quote:
Oh BTW, i don't think this was a bug. Just bad manipulation from my part, certainly. Reaper is not 'stealing the focus' from the GUI.
;-)

Tried all the shortcuts of the script, now.
Most of them work perfectly and are very useful / well chosen.
I particularly like '>' and '<' to navigate through the modes, as 4501 does, '[' and ']' to navigate through the bank parameters of the FX/VSTi (that i replaced by '(' & ')' just to avoid the Alt+Gr selection), as 4500 does, and many others that i won't list here, being too numerous. These ones have also the advantage to leave 4500 & 4501 free for other purposes if needed.
However, for some reason, some of them don't work as expected on my system:
|, ?, and § (that i don't clearly understand because it seems to have 3 modes). Hope this helps.

To avoid having to use the Alt+Gr key to command certain functions (such as "|" = Alt-Gr+6), i'd like to use the Ins/Del/Home/End/Pageup/Pagedown/ keys instead. It is also because they're located nearby the arrows keys. It is much more handy, in a way.
Are they usable for such a purpose? If you use the ASCII code as reference for the script, what's the exact code for each one? I tried several sites but didn't get all the answers i needed.

TIA

Thanks again for the hard work, your patience and kindness.

Last edited by jico27; 05-26-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #262
N2NPro

Hi Guys,
I'm noticing bridged plug windows do not close when using "o" or Shift+O in GUI mode.
*EDIT 5/27/2014*
When adding a VST, just right-click on it and choose Run as -> Embed bridged UI. With this option checked, all VSTs will load integrated into the FX window.
Now they close with "o" or Shift+O.
yippee!

I am in the middle of doing a short work flow video(s)/screen capture to demonstrate the SM/OSC/OSCII-bot.v3 and Banned's wonderful scripting in action.
Be back shortly.
N2N

Last edited by N2NPro; 05-27-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: new shit came to light , man...
Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #263
jico27

Hi Banned & N2N

One suggestion for a feature i've just been thinking about:
In a context of 'live configs' with several tabs for different projects, (and since we already have '[' & ']' to navigate through the FX parameters banks), could button 4500 be usable to increment from one project to the following in the SWS ProjectList?

Or, a fourth mode could be added to the others and triggered incrementing 4501 for example and the different tabs could be opened using 'select button' (but in this case each 'select button' should exclude any other tab, of course.)

Or, could any other shortcut be implemented in the script?
Let's say one shortcut to open the SWS ProjectList, and another one to cycle through the tabs...
Wouldn'it be amazing ?

BTW, cool to see that i recently became a "human being with feelings"...

Last edited by jico27; 05-25-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #264
Banned

Quote:
Yes, i must admit that all this wasn't very clear. Must be kind of boring for you. I apologize.
No worries, it comes with the territory.
Quote:
Anyway...
New test in which, without knowing exactly what changed, things seem to get much better for me!
To be sure i'm not misunderstanding something, i want to describe what's happening now:
I open reaper/focus on the GUI. Navigation is ok (tracks/FX). (This is already a huge progress compared to what i described before).
If i press "o", the FX window of the selected track opens. And stays opened. I can select and open any FX window of a newly selected track as soon as i press "o". All windows stay opened.
So far is it right? (I'll be very happy if it is!)
Yes. You can also *close* effect UI windows using "o" - it simply toggles the display state for the selected effect on/off.
Quote:
Then i shut them all/refocus on the GUI/press SHIFT+O
Every time I select a track, the corresponding FX windows opens. It also closes automatically if i switch to the next track, which opens its own FX window in its turn. Etc.
One thing i noticed though: an FX window opened when selecting a new track won't close if the track contains no FX.
Yeah, that's the sort of thing I mentioned earlier as well:
Quote:
I think the selected track in REAPER doesn't yet sync with the script perfectly in all cases (for example, try navigating with the left/right cursor keys, then unselecting tracks, then using keys again) [...]
Again, it's important to understand that the track selection in REAPER is a different concept as the track selected for the control surface. Also note that REAPER does not even have a concept of "selected effect". We can only *indirectly* make the selected track/effect for the control surface 'follow' something in REAPER using its configuration settings in the .ReaperOSC file.

Currently, the script is quite naive, it doesn't really try to keep track of what track / effect slot number is selected. It just closes the UI of the *currently* selected effect *before* switching to a new one when navigating *using the script*. When you select a different track in REAPER, the script can 'follow' that, but with the current, 'naive' implementation of automatically opening/closing effect UI windows, it's already 'too late' to close the *previously* selected effect's window.
Quote:
Apart from that, everything seems to work as expected now, isn't it?

However, in both cases, some windows always stay opened in reaper. If i want to close them i must focus on reaper (and defocus the GUI).
Wouldn't it be useful to have a shortcut linked to the GUI that could allow to close every windows still opened in reaper to avoid de-focusing again from the GUI? The idea being that the less you focus/defocus the GUI, the better the workflow is.
Would this be possible with Autohotkey, or something equivalent in Windows OS?
Yes, we can probably use a REAPER/SWS action that simply closes *all* effect UI windows. But that should not *always* happen when you press "o", only when the effect UI is already open. And, again, the script currently doesn't even really know that - it just toggles the display state on/off.

Now, this was just a first attempt at doing something useful along the lines of earlier suggestions. If you guys like this particular approach well enough (as you seem to do), I could of course try to make a more sophisticated mechanism; if needed, one that *does* keep track of which effect is selected and/or already has its UI window open, so it would always be able to close previously opened effect windows.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #265
jico27

Quote:
Now, this was just a first attempt at doing something useful along the lines of earlier suggestions. If you guys like this particular approach well enough (as you seem to do), I could of course try to make a more sophisticated mechanism; if needed, one that *does* keep track of which effect is selected and/or already has its UI window open, so it would always be able to close previously opened effect windows.
A very good 'first attempt', i must say...!
And I do like your approach in any ways. Needless to say that I'm also certain N2N is agreeing with that.
I just want to say that since the beginning, i personally had twice the feeling (imho) that this project took the right direction at the right moment:
First when you took the decision to improve it with different modes, secondly with the idea of 'equip' the GUI of so many dedicated shortcuts, without interfering with reaper's ones.
These two points seem essential to me to make a good programing for the SM since when it's finished, it will also be easily movable and rapidly usable in any other installation of reaper.

So just do what you intend to do. It generally gives very good results as we can see.
And accept all my encouragements!

Last edited by jico27; 05-25-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #266
N2NPro

Hi Guys,
I have been hacking the script trying different combos of hot keys/commands etc. Obviously very cool stuff.
One thing I've run into when using Shift+B to identify banking is, I lose all my track colors in the process. I made a button to an SWS action "apply auto color" so I can get them back but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Is there a way to keep the track colors and use the cool "Shift+B" bank identifier?
Also, I'm trying to get the "toggle bypass selected FX" to work in Reaper the same way the OSC GUI handles it. I changed
Code:
char=='b'?  oscsend(OSC_to_REAPER, reaper_action_custom_id, "_SWS_AWPANBALANCENEW"); 	// lowercase "b": trigger SWS action: "SWS/AW: Set selected tracks pan mode to stereo balance"
to:
Code:
char=='b'?  oscsend(OSC_to_REAPER, reaper_fx_bypass_toggle); 	// lowercase "b": trigger OSC Reaper action: "OSC Reaper FX Bypass"
This worked great so I tried the same function with the Reaper action menu.
I tried setting a Reaper shortcut/hotkey using the Reaper SWS/S&M action "Toggle selected FX bypass for selected tracks" but this only toggles the selected track FX slot #1 and not the selected FX. This is either broken or I'm missing something.
(I changed the script as I do not need "b" to set pan laws as I have other hotkey's for these functions.)

I am still in the process of shooting a few short videos displaying functions and workflow. I will post them soon. (let me know if there is something you'd like me to demonstrate and I will oblige)

Kindly,

N2N
Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #267
N2NPro

Hi Banned,
I have a question regarding the MIDI through on the StudioMix. Is it possible to hook up a MIDI keyboard through that input and have its own channel or Midi I/O? Perhaps using LoopMidi or virtual MIDI input output?
Let me know your thoughts.
Very much appreciated.
kindly,
N2N
Old 06-07-2014, 03:40 AM   #268
jico27

Hi N2N,

imho, 'midi thru' being a kind of second 'midi out' routing the incoming signal from 'midi in', you can't use it as if it was a 'midi in', to plug a keyboard in it.
I hope i understood well your question.

Regards.

Jico27
Old 06-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #269
N2NPro

Hi jico27,
Thank you for the response. I was afraid of that.
Btw, how is your work flow coming? I started several videos but ran into flow issues that I believe I've now worked around. I will try another video today and post it. It would be nice to hear how you are doing with your SM.
Kindly,
N2N

ps I hope I didn't scare Banned away.... I haven't seen him for a while.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #270
jico27

Hi, N2N

Thank you for your interest in my daily use of the new version.
Actually, i haven't much time to use it, but the less i tried it was very satisfying.
As i told in a previous post, i had to change different shortcuts referring to my computer keyboard to make the script more compatible with Windows, but on the whole it represented to me a huge improvement compared to the last version. It really gives comfort and clarity to the workflow. I do like Banned's approach of this project, i must say.
I'm just looking forward seeing the next version, which will be obviously the ultimate one. But all this takes time and the best thing is to let Banned 'use its magic' for it...
I'm just wondering if my request to have a new mode concerning live configs was understandable enough for Banned. I do think there is something interesting to do for this mode, but maybe my formulation wasn't appropriate.

I'm quite happy with my FR that now counts 17 positive votes. It is more than i expected, so... once again, let's let the time do the rest!

Keep working on your videos. You might also find an interest in using Licecap to make short demonstrations of precise points you want to stress. It's easy to use and gives good and quick results.

kindly

jico27

Last edited by jico27; 06-12-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #271
N2NPro

Hi Guys,
I have completed a basic transport a fader video. A bit more difficult than I thought. The resolution/scaling is what I had to do to try and fit everything required. Let me know if it's viewable and I will produce one with all of it's features. Next up is demonstrating the OSCII GUI.

Video is found here.
http://youtu.be/W2NrTJjkZek

Let me know what you think..

Jico27,
I hope you get some time soon to play with the SM. I'm finding it incredibly useful in speeding up and effectiveness in my workflow.
I have Licecap but this is a bit more involved. I'm sure I will be using Licecap in the future, thanks for the heads up

BTW congrats on the FR!

N2N
Old 06-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #272
jico27

Very nice video, indeed, though there is obviously a problem with the format. It is much too stretched upwards, for some reason, but it is also completely understandable.
Nothing's missing. It is clear, concise and precise in all aspects.

Very well done. This video is summing up in a few minutes about two months of Banned's work on his script.

So a great thanks to Banned, a great thanks to you. Also a great thanks to J. Frankel who created the ultimate OSCii-Bot tool and to Jeffos who initiated the first script!
What a team!

I entirely agree with your remarks about the workflow.
Personally, I've never had a better one for years... even with the Klinke's extension for the Behringer BCR & BCF, i should say.
The script mode is definitely something valuable, compared to a .dll, which, afiak, is not editable.

I guess it shouldn't be that difficult to adapt this script to a Behringer CS, adding much more functionnalities than it currently has.

See you soon
Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #273
N2NPro

Hi jico27,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the resolution is way off but through my experimentation of showing 2x wide screen monitors and w/webcam overlay, it was either too small or scaled without keeping the aspect ratio intact. I will continue video production with the same format and demonstrate the banking aspect as well as many others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27
So a great thanks to Banned, a great thanks to you. Also a great thanks to J. Frankel who created the ultimate OSCii-Bot tool and to Jeffos who initiated the first script!
What a team!
YES!! Thanks to all who made this possible!!!!!!!
Especially Banned for taking my little "Peavey SM Bi-Dir control Via OSC" post under his wing and making it fly/soar!!!

Back with more video's shortly.

N2N
Old 07-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #274
jico27

Hi to both of you

I've been away from Paris for a couple of weeks.
Now i'm back, and i long to know if Banned's project has been improved, partly or totally, and if N2N has new videos to share with us.
So, what's the news?
Please let me know how things are going on.

I'm also going to be retired in less than a week. So this is a big change for me and represents a period of transition that might allow me to get more involved in reaper, as soon as my retirement is effective.

Regards
Old 07-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #275
Banned

Quote:
Hi to both of you

I've been away from Paris for a couple of weeks.
Now i'm back, and i long to know if Banned's project has been improved, partly or totally, and if N2N has new videos to share with us.
So, what's the news?
Please let me know how things are going on.

I'm also going to be retired in less than a week. So this is a big change for me and represents a period of transition that might allow me to get more involved in reaper, as soon as my retirement is effective.

Regards
Hi gents! I've been away for a month myself too, just reading up a bit now. It will be some while before I have time to spend on further tweaking and stuff. Nice to see a demo video, finally I get to see the StudioMix in action, haha! And congrats in advance for reaching your retirement, jico27!

Cheers!
Old 07-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #276
jico27

Thank you Banned,

I'm now retired. Curious feeling indeed to be on holiday eternally(!)

I just wanted to show you something that you might both like to have a look at. It's another video i made 3 months ago, or so, as soon as your first workable version was released. It is a very short one, showing the premises of the workflow you've created, and the first tangible proof of your hard work for the StudioMix...

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f5s0Jmopmc

See you soon
Old 07-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #277
fadercreep

Default Hats off!

Gentlemen,

I have just spent the last hour and a half reading this entire thread. Good thing my boss is gone for the day...

I am unbelievably impressed by the efforts of all three of you towards your end of making the StudioMix viable for Reaper. In likewise manner, I have a JL Cooper MCS3800 coming. It is a very quality, very generic surface, not to mention outmoded. I have no programming skills, but plan to attempt to create the same level of integration and functionality you have achieved using OSC/OSCII-bot. I hope that I can gather some interest along the way to build some momentum (and otherwise mask my inumerable technical shortcomings).

I guess what I'm asking for is your permission to bug the crap out of you (collectively) as I stumble somewhat painfully through the process.

Again, congrats!
fadercreep
fadercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #278
N2NPro

Welcome fadercreep,
Interesting handle... reminds me of when my StudioMix had "fader creep" issues before Banned quieted them. I am happy to answer any questions you may have but, be aware I am only a guinea pig in the hands of a true scientist whom engineered all the scripting/coding. I merely tested and tweaked a few parameters, adding very little other than feedback to the maestro. Banned would be much better to query if he has time. He spent an inordinate amount of time bringing the SM to life along with very useful GUI's. I feel like I won the lotto with his generosity and kindness.

jico27,
What a milestone!! Congratulations!!
I can only dream of retirement. I hope your days are filled with music and your StudioMix! (btw, I now own 3, 2x in mint condition)

Banned,
It's nice to hear from you. I hope you enjoyed your time away!
I appreciate you more than you know. I/we hope to hear from you more and look forward to reading your ever insightful posts in the forum.

I, fortunately, have been completing projects for clients and uploading to their duplication houses as I type.
This is the busiest summer for audio production that I've had. I am very blessed atm.
I have completed another video and am doing voice over due to sloppy monolog. Video, not my forte. I will post upon completion.

All the best,

N2N
Old 07-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #279
jico27

@fadercreep
Thanks for the nice words. Actually, i had a look at your JL Cooper MCS3800 CS and in my opinion this is typically the kind of hardware Banned could make a very good programming work for.
At the beginning of this thread, he also evoked the possibility of doing such a work for the Behringer BCF2000, which would also be, if it happened, a tremendous occasion for bcf users to jump in.
Obviously, Banned turns things into gold! He is currently one of the so rare persons able to adapt CSs for reaper.
To be honest, i was even personally dreaming of the same kind of work for the Degidesign Control 24, with no less that 400 physical commands (!!!). I don't know if all of them are usable for programming, but if Banned took up such a work, I have no doubt that he would make this gear a sort of Admiral Vessel of the CS fleet!

As N2N said, Banned is the only one who can answer your questions. We are the pupils and make propositions. He is the master and decides. Just keep in mind that for him, it is a lot of time to spend in programming.

@N2N
Glad for this summer period that looks so promising for you!
Thanks for your congrats. I hope i will now be able to alternate making music (with the studioMix) & travelling, more than before.

@TonE
Thanks for sharing this!
Old 07-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #280
fadercreep

@jico27

As I read this thread, it was obvious that Banned is very knowledgeable, and an amazingly generous person with his time. Most people don't have enough time to solve their own problems, let alone those of strangers.

I am going to spend time to gather as much information as I can with regard to the required sysex commands for the 3000XL and 3800 before approaching others for help. It was disappointing to hear from JL cooper that they weren't willing to provide this information.

I hope I can find others who want to use this interface w/Reaper. It really is very rugged and high quality. Now that they have been outmoded, they're cheap too

I have looked at other similar threads to which Banned has contributed, and using OSC/OSCii-bot/Pure Data seems pretty intimidating. If in the end I need it to make this work, I will learn what I can. Thanks for the response.
fadercreep is offline   Reply With Quote