Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #721
mlprod
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
You can't do it easily, you have to edit 6-8 files in the theme. I can upload my theme if you are interested. (It's not perfect yet)
Thanks for the heads up, hope it works now.
Ahh ok, you mean text files or actual images?

But really this should just be something that you can do easily in the prefs or theme adjuster. Like really...come on now!
Old 06-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #722
HighVoltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Ahh ok, you mean text files or actual images?

But really this should just be something that you can do easily in the prefs or theme adjuster. Like really...come on now!
Yeah totally agreed.
It's not txt files sadly, you have to edit .png files with alpha channels.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:53 AM   #723
mlprod

Hope you read this White Tie, please make the mixer strips tintable again!
Old 06-17-2019, 04:23 AM   #724
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Hope you read this White Tie, please make the mixer strips tintable again!
cant you do that in the colour script?not in the studionow,so cant check it
Old 06-18-2019, 05:43 AM   #725
Kaya Orsan

I'm a big fan of dark + pastel colors, so with a few adjustments I've already been enjoying working with the theme. Thanks WT.

Two comments. It'd be great if selected tracks were easier to distinguish. If you're a color slut like me, it can be difficult to tell at a glance whether a track is selected or just brightly colored.

And I'd move the phase invert button below the Mute/Solo buttons on the track list. Right now it looks like the button belongs to the track below its own.

A related request for the devs: it would be really cool to have an option to make track meters use track colors, instead of the default green.

Last edited by Kaya Orsan; 06-18-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #726
Herr Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaya Orsan View Post
A related request for the devs: it would be really cool to have an option to make track meters use track colors, instead of the default green.

THIS.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #727
stillshaded

Quote:
I'm a big fan of dark + pastel colors, so with a few adjustments I've already been enjoying working with the theme. Thanks WT.

Two comments. It'd be great if selected tracks were easier to distinguish. If you're a color slut like me, it can be difficult to tell at a glance whether a track is selected or just brightly colored.

And I'd move the phase invert button below the Mute/Solo buttons on the track list. Right now it looks like the button belongs to the track below its own.

Yes, this would be amazing.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #728
vsgrt

The transport numbers and the buttons are not aligned and should be centered.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:54 AM   #729
lowellben

is there any way to disable or change back that silly rainbow striped route button on everything? it's really stands out among the clean slate theme lol thanks!
Old 06-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #730
MRMJP

Sorry for the newb question but are updates to this theme linked in this thread as they are ready, or is the original link in the first post just updated to point to the latest alpha of the 6.0 theme?
Old 06-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #731
jacques mk2

[/QUOTE]

That kind of ideas could drastically improve readability.Unfortunately it seems that devs sticks desesperately to those bloody green vu-meter, ignoring suggestions of long lasting users…
Personally I don't go for that V6 theme : I simply can't understand the logic behind devs minds : why some square buttons, and then rounded buttons, and then 45° angles on others buttons ? Where is the harmony ?
Tracks are still square shaped : an horror for the eyes.
Please justin : hire a design consultant.

Last edited by jacques mk2; 06-20-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: quote modification
Old 06-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #732
HighVoltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques mk2 View Post
Personally I don't go for that V6 theme : I simply can't understand the logic behind devs minds : why some square buttons, and then rounded buttons, and then 45° angles on others buttons ? Where is the harmony ?
Tracks are still square shaped : an horror for the eyes.
Please justin : hire a design consultant.
I'm ok with the theme, but i have to agree it's all over the place. The volume faders are oldschool 3D, in the mixer the round knobs are flat, on the track panels they have this 3d bump to them. The routing button with the stripes is super cryptic, i really can't tell what any of the colours mean on a glance.
I think Theme 4.0 while looks dated, is still much better in terms of readability and cohesion.

Hopefully these can be ironed out, or better yet can be customized to taste.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #733
mustgroove

IMO meter colours should not follow track colours - metering colours should only ever be related to levels IMO
Old 06-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #734
Kaya Orsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgroove View Post
IMO meter colours should not follow track colours - metering colours should only ever be related to levels IMO
Levels aren't related to the color green specifically, either.

An *option* would be nice, not forcing it on anyone. Eye candy is nice. It makes working a little more fun

Last edited by Kaya Orsan; 06-20-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #735
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
I'm ok with the theme, but i have to agree it's all over the place. The volume faders are oldschool 3D, in the mixer the round knobs are flat, on the track panels they have this 3d bump to them. The routing button with the stripes is super cryptic, i really can't tell what any of the colours mean on a glance.
I think Theme 4.0 while looks dated, is still much better in terms of readability and cohesion.

Hopefully these can be ironed out, or better yet can be customized to taste.
Yup. Lots of agreement on that with folks here but when you're dealing with a talented, yet super sensitive, driven, yet very tunnel visioned designer, what do you expect lol. This theme is all over the bloody place. Hang on it's gonna be a ride
Old 06-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #736
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Sorry for the newb question but are updates to this theme linked in this thread as they are ready, or is the original link in the first post just updated to point to the latest alpha of the 6.0 theme?
the latest version is linked in the first post. It's been a little while since the last
Old 06-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #737
JHughes
Banned

I believe WT has explained why he's mixing 2D and 3D elements and it's working perfectly, so complaining about it is beating a dead horse.
The technique allows you to find what you're looking for with the least amount of cognitive energy expenditure, which is some trick in a graphically crowded environment.

If you make all the elements uniform dimensionally (3D or 2D) then you are doing so for the sake of uniformity, not utility.

I think the new strategy is working fantastically and in addition I have even warmed to the routing button.

I also say that WT's use of color* and contrast is perfect. I love some of the themes I've seen done, and been aghast at others,
but none are easier to look at under a broad range of viewing conditions than the stock WT version.
*Except for making red=left. That's unforgivable.

And don't forget that WT has said that a theme like Imperial is more his bag.
Unfortunately, he's under contract to make this new interface as utilitarian as possible, so if you don't like it you need to complain to Justin.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #738
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Yup. Lots of agreement on that with folks here but when you're dealing with a talented, yet super sensitive, driven, yet very tunnel visioned designer, what do you expect lol. This theme is all over the bloody place. Hang on it's gonna be a ride
From an outsider's perspective, I can honestly say that you and everyone else who shares your opinion and chooses to express it in this way have done more to prove exactly why a theme can never be created by committee.

Believe it or not, there are ways that humans have learned to persuade others to their opinions or personal tastes. And you and a few others have shown that you either haven't learned them or just don't care.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:05 AM   #739
+NRG

Quote:

That does look very cool to me, too! The color pops because of the large dark background. An option would be awesome... But, WT posted earlier that feature requests in this thread are a waste of time.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:12 AM   #740
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
I believe WT has explained why he's mixing 2D and 3D elements and it's working perfectly, so complaining about it is beating a dead horse.
The technique allows you to find what you're looking for with the least amount of cognitive energy expenditure, which is some trick in a graphically crowded environment.

If you make all the elements uniform dimensionally (3D or 2D) then you are doing so for the sake of uniformity, not utility.

I think the new strategy is working fantastically and in addition I have even warmed to the routing button.

I also say that WT's use of color* and contrast is perfect. I love some of the themes I've seen done, and been aghast at others,
but none are easier to look at under a broad range of viewing conditions than the stock WT version.

And don't forget that WT has said that a theme like Imperial is more his bag.
Unfortunately, he's under contract to make this new interface as utilitarian as possible, so if you don't like it you need to complain to Justin.
I agree! I’ve enjoyed the time I’ve spent working with this theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
*Except for making red=left. That's unforgivable.
Red = Right B)
Old 06-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #741
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
the latest version is linked in the first post. It's been a little while since the last
Thanks. I try to check this thread often but I wasn't sure if I just couldn't find any updated versions buried somewhere, or if the link in the first post was the latest.

I'll guess time will tell as to how any updated versions are posted. Hopefully just updating the link in the first post, or a new thread.

I like the new default theme more than the old one.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:11 AM   #742
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
From an outsider's perspective, I can honestly say that you and everyone else who shares your opinion and chooses to express it in this way have done more to prove exactly why a theme can never be created by committee.

Believe it or not, there are ways that humans have learned to persuade others to their opinions or personal tastes. And you and a few others have shown that you either haven't learned them or just don't care.
Oh Kenny I like you.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #743
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Oh Kenny I like you.
I like the colors on your avatar. We should use them on the routing button.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #744
_Stevie_

That definitely deserves a LOL
Old 06-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #745
lowellben

Quote:
I like the colors on your avatar. We should use them on the routing button.
TBH I kept this avatar because someone made a comment a while ago about how handy it is when users have the same avatar over the years when they scroll through a thread, their eyes get used to people and makes it easy to follow and find posts by certain users.

So it hasn't changed ever. Cheeky.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #746
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
TBH I kept this avatar because someone made a comment a while ago about how handy it is when users have the same avatar over the years when they scroll through a thread, their eyes get used to people and makes it easy to follow and find posts by certain users.
Don't get me wrong. I think keeping the same avatar might be the most charitable thing you can do for those about to read your posts.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #747
lowellben

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I think keeping the same avatar might be the most charitable thing you can do for those about to read your posts.
I still like you

And you know, in a previous time of my life, I bet we'd be friends.
But you never know what life has in store for you. Sometimes you change even if you wish you didn't. Trust me. We're helpless to that.
Remember that. TGIF.

Last edited by lowellben; 06-21-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #748
robgb

Quote:

This.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #749
Ideosound

Is there any chance of V6 being able to theme the FX/plugin window, where plugins live? There doesn't seem to be a way to change this background currently which is annoying and not uniform with other windows like IO, Media Explorer etc. Especially when trying to have a consistent dark theme....

Old 06-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #750
SoundGuyChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
Is there any chance of V6 being able to theme the FX/plugin window, where plugins live? There doesn't seem to be a way to change this background currently which is annoying and not uniform with other windows like IO, Media Explorer etc. Especially when trying to have a consistent dark theme...
I don't chime in too much around here, but I will say that the FX Window is basically the only part of REAPER that I've ever really felt needed actual re-working in the way it's implemented. I don't have a good solution, so I'll keep mum for the most part, but I do agree that even just adding uniformity to the background of the window would go miles for consistency.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #751
daeavelwyn

Hey WT, some nices improvement it seems

Just some little comments :
1- My poor and tired eyes still struggle to find the limit between FX and Sends in the mixer view, could you accentuate a bit a kind of contrast ?

2- fader aren't resizable (as it was the case in th default 4 theme), it's not really dramatic, but for small screen (I.E. 13" laptop) it's a bit to big while docking.

3- monitor enabled could be green, seems more clear in my mind too ...

And I've to admit i'm quite interesting to by the idea of having meters the same colors (grandient) as the track...but more as an option I guess.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:15 AM   #752
musicbynumbers

Hey WT.

Not sure if there's anything you can do theme wise to make it look less like a gpu crash when tracks are minimised? no worries if not Maybe make it names only at that size or even just blank plates (if that's even possible).

I'm really hoping devs give us an option to toggle hide all child tracks when clicking on the folder track rather than minimise as I often find it kind of pointless doing that as it takes up screen real estate and doesn't say much.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:39 AM   #753
doppelganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Hey WT.

Not sure if there's anything you can do theme wise to make it look less like a gpu crash when tracks are minimised? no worries if not Maybe make it names only at that size or even just blank plates (if that's even possible).

I'm really hoping devs give us an option to toggle hide all child tracks when clicking on the folder track rather than minimise as I often find it kind of pointless doing that as it takes up screen real estate and doesn't say much.

oh, my Goat! what a mess
Old 06-27-2019, 06:41 AM   #754
Kaya Orsan

I wonder if that's what people see when they have a seizure.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #755
musicbynumbers

It looks to me like the insides of reaper that we're not meant to see!

Like it's "skin" fell off! urgh!
Old 06-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #756
JonasHAnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Hey WT.

I use the cubase themes by cubic13 and it hides all child tracks in the most collapsed view. So it is possible.

I also have no clue why you would want these hair thin child tracks. Ideally I'd want just two states collapsed and un-collapsed. I have the three folder states mapped to different CMD+arrow keys so I dont have to cycle between them all which is annoying, I can just toggle between collapsed and uncollapsed. But it would be ideal to be able to remove one state in the preferences and choose if you want hidden tracks or hair thin tracks for the most collapsed state.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #757
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHAnd View Post
I use the cubase themes by cubic13 and it hides all child tracks in the most collapsed view. So it is possible.
There was (is?) a hacky, potentially dangerous way to do this:

Quote:
These themes don't (can't) hide children in the sense that they aren't in the arrange. The tracks simply get a height of 0 pixels so you can't see them. If you drag a marquee selection across those tracks all items will be selected and are subject to edits - even if you don't see what's happening.
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...97&postcount=2

If it's still the only way agreed with mbn, a 'clean' way to completely hide childs when collapsed would be nice.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:01 AM   #758
Herr Nox

The I Logic themes from Blankfiles also offer the possibility to collapse child tracks.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #759
mister happy

Hi,
To what extent will themes for v5 translate to v6?

Will we be able open v6 and use older themes and WALTER?

Thank you!
Old 07-01-2019, 01:21 AM   #760
MaXyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister happy View Post
Hi,
To what extent will themes for v5 translate to v6?

Will we be able open v6 and use older themes and WALTER?

Thank you!
I'm almost sure it will. This is what version tag in rtconfig is for.
Of course it might go opposite way due to some serious reasons. Changes in HIDPI support which might have affect v5 themes with no dev resources to maintain backward compatibility is one of such reasons which comes to mind.
Closed Thread