Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Zelos
Human being with feelings

Default Asio4All v2 problem

Hey there,
I can't play sounds in two programs at the same time. The sound in the second one I open just doesn't work. It's like that since I installed Asio4All. I think it blocks my soundcard for one program...
I'd really like to solve that problem because I can't hear anything else besides Reaper when working with it.

By the way: I'm using a Realtek High Definition Audio Device (some onboard soundcard).

Does someone know how to solve this?
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Properties->Audio, then uncheck:

"Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive"

"Close audio device when stopped and active (less responsive)"

HTH
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
Zelos

The first one was checked, but unchecking it didn't work. Still no sound in other applications.
It's also not only like that when working with Reaper, it's like that with every program which uses Asio4All. If I open a standalone VST I can't hear anything else than the VST as well. If I watch a video on Youtube and start some VST I can't hear the VST.
Whatever I open first is the only thing I can hear.

So Asio4All seems to work only for one program at a time... and if the audio device Asio4All wants to use is used already by some other program (e.g. Firefox or VLC) Asio4All doesn't seem to work.

I guess it must have something to do with my audio device.
Here's a screenshot of my Asio4All preferences... it's in German, so I don't know if it helps.

[img]http://img37.**************/img37/8919/unbenanntmg.jpg[/img]

Sometimes I have to manually select the Realtek HD Audio because ATI HD Audio is selected automatically.

Last edited by Zelos; 12-01-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
So Asio4All seems to work only for one program at a time... and if the audio device Asio4All wants to use is used already by some other program (e.g. Firefox or VLC) Asio4All doesn't seem to work.
It's always been this way for me, both XP and Win 7. I've just accepted it. Would be interesting to hear if anyone got a solution, though...
Old 12-01-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Zelos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
It's always been this way for me, both XP and Win 7. I've just accepted it. Would be interesting to hear if anyone got a solution, though...
I can remember that I didn't have that problem when I was using XP and Cubase.
But that was also Asio4All v1, so some things may have changed since then...
Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
EvilDragon

Dunno. I have A4A 2.9, and I can have two or more audio applications open, for example, Reaper, and some standalone instrument. Both will run just fine.

What's even more interesting, I have the same integrated sound chip as you, Z.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
Zelos

I just found something which might be the problem...

[img]http://img46.**************/img46/3631/unbenanntuh.jpg[/img]

It says:
Quote:

-> Used by another application?
-> MS GS Wavetable Synth active?
The red cross at ATI appeared when I started Reaper and then a standalone VST.

Last edited by Zelos; 12-01-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Zelos

@EvilDragon
I just found out that it seems that it's supposed to be this way and the only solution is a multi-channel soundcard or something like that... that makes me wonder.
You said that you can for example work in Reaper and use a standalone VST at the same time. Can you also listen to music with Winamp, WMP or something like that while working and Reaper and hear sounds from both applications?

If so, could you tell me what your audio set-up looks like?
Do you use the Realtek HD Audio Manager? How did you connect your speakers to your sound card? Maybe the problem is that I only own two speakers with an output to the green input of the sound card?
I can't imagine that being the problem but many solutions don't really make sense to me anyway, so...
Old 12-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
Fergo

Windows Vista and 7 have a setting (that is marked as default IIRC) that makes the device only available to one software at a time. That might be it.
I'm running XP now, so I can't tell you exactly where it is, but if you search a bit in the audio devices settings at the Windows Control Panel I'm sure you'll find it.

EDIT: Here it is:
http://dailykermit.wordpress.com/200...evice-control/

Fergo
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
EvilDragon

Um... I'm not using ASIO for Winamp. In fact, I'm not using Winamp at all (sorry Justin :P), I'm using AIMP. Its output is set directly to Realtek HD audio output, I'm guessing through WDM driver.

I'm not using Realtek HD audio manager. Leeches out too much RAM for what it is, a glorified mixer. My speakers are connected to Line Out, normally, and my synth to Line In, respectively. That's it.

Fergo, I don't know if Z uses W7 or not, he didn't mention it. But, valuable info nonetheless.

The solution to me is - don't use ASIO for other aplications. Use ASIO only for recording. Either way, for watching videos or listening music, latency is not much of an issue.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
Zelos

I unchecked that option but there's still no sound.
And that solution looked so promising. :/
By the way, I'm using Vista 64-bit.

@EvilDragon
I think you're getting me wrong. I don't use ASIO for anything other than Reaper and standalone VSTs.
It's just that Asio4All blocks the output it uses - so that there's no sound at all outside of Reaper if Asio4All is active (not even system sounds) - or can't use the output if it's already in use by some other program - so there's no sound in Reaper.

But as I said I read that it's supposed to be that way, so I really wonder why it works for you and I can't get it to work with the same audio device...
Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
EvilDragon

Could be the motherboard. I'm using a very good Gigabyte motherboard. Dunno, this has me confused as well.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
Zelos

I'm using a motherboard from Gigabyte as well. My computer is kinda new...
Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
Fergo

Just to be clear, I also can't use the same ASIO driver in more than one application and I think this is a limitation of the ASIO standard itself. You can use two different ASIO drivers at the same time, but you can't use the same ASIO driver in more than one software simultaneously. Eg: Reaper running ASIO4ALL and Winamp running Behringer's ASIO should be fine. Both programs running ASIO4ALL, not. You shouldn't have any problems with "regular" audio like YouTube + ASIO, though.

Here's a good discussion about this issue:
http://mtippach.proboards.com/index....lay&thread=786

Some highlights:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleftpicks
Since I "upgraded" to Vista from XP I'm having this problem as well. When I was using XP I had multiple programs running at once. Guitar Rig, and Guitar Pro 5 and Internet Explorer, all of which could play sound at the same time. Really handy for learning songs on the guitar.
My sound card is just a plain jane Realtek HD Audio built in device. I can get 0ms latency with it and it sounds great. So for those that say running multiple apps with asio is not possible, I say it is but perhaps not with Vista. Anyone know of any windoz Fixes for this issue?

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Tippach
Chances are you have a Realtek High Definition Audio onboard thingy and the reason why it appears to work in XP is that Realtek have integrated some dodgy software mixing into their miniport for Win XP - at the price of horrible latency and more issues. See the Realtek thread for that matter! Solution is to roll back the Realtek driver to a known "good" state and once this is done, it'll be "single client" as a side effect.

Under Vista they cannot pull these tricks, because here the driver is a WaveRT miniport, where WaveRT is a zero copy approach.

Under Vista, all the crap they put into their XP WaveCyclic miniport has been moved into the user mode audio engine and is completely bypassed by ASIO4ALL.
Fergo

Last edited by Fergo; 12-01-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
dub3000

this is true - every app talking to ASIO expects that it is the only thing touching the soundcard at that point in time. that's the way it gets low latency. i've noticed some drivers do actually let two things play at the same time but they really shouldn't be able to.

if this is a big problem, consider using WDM kernel streaming, i think this handles simultaneous streams.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #16
Zelos

Hm, okay, I guess I'll just have to go with it. Thanks for all the help.

By the way: The reverb and the demos from the Akoustik Piano VST (Native Instruments) don't work. I thought this might be connected to this problem.
I can use the VST just fine but if I want to play the demos there's no sound (in the folder I can listen to them) and if I enable Reverb there's no sound as well. There's still input but no sound.
Does anyone know what this could be?
Old 12-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
DrBlowThingsup

So I'd been struggling with this for an hour or so, and finally came upon a solution.

I went into the playback tab in your sound preferences, or whatever it's called, and set the default device to the built in speakers of the laptop. This means that Reaper is the only device using the audio interface, so ASIO4ALL doesn't seem to have any problem with it.

I'd tried a few other things, so any of those might have helped, but I've done so many tiny tweaks, I couldn't tell you for sure which one was the one that made it work.

But yeah, as soon as I changed the default sound output to the built in speakers, so that only Reaper was using my audio interface, it worked just fine.
DrBlowThingsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
BUTNMSHR

Building on what the last guy said, go into the Windows sound preferences for playback devices (right click the speaker in your system tray and then click "Playback Devices"), highlight either the HDMI audio or the Realtek, whichever you plan on NOT using for REAPER, then click the "Set Default" button at the bottom. Click Okay. Open REAPER, go to Audio Preferences, click the ASIO Config button, turn off ASIO on the device you just set to default in Windows, turn on the other one. This way you can REAPER the hell out of the one device, and listen to your hippity hops or whatever you kids are into on the other.

Also, if you are just sorta noodling around and latency isn't really a big issue, you can just switch from ASIO to DirectSound or WaveOut in REAPER and then you should be able to hear everything on the same whatnots.
BUTNMSHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #19
ebtihal

Default ASIO4ALL does not play well with others

I'd love to use ASIO4ALL, really love the low latency; plus, I'm troubleshooting an issue with Native Instruments and the first thing they suggest is to use ASIO4ALL as your driver... but I can't use it, for this very same reason, that it can't be used on more than one app at once.
Even if I go into my Control Panel/Sound and uncheck both boxes to deactivate Exclusive Mode, whoever's the first audio app up will hog the outs.
And if I open Reaper first, and THEN a browser like Firefox, Firefox steals the outputs from Reaper.
I also use Audiokinetic's Wwise (I'm in game audio development), in whose Sound Engine preferences one can *specify it to use other drivers*, like XAudio2 or Direct Sound. And even then Wwise will still be silent... until I disable ASIO4ALL in Reaper.
I'm guessing no one has ever solved this, as all related threads I've read die.

Reaper 4.22 64bit
PC Model: Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz
RAM: 16GB
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit Professional
ebtihal is offline   Reply With Quote