Old 03-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
breakinglight
Human being with feelings

Default trouble with East-West Play in Reaper

I am having some issues getting East West Play to run properly as a multi Channel multi timbral instrument in Reaper.both Reaper and Play are new to me (probably not the smartest thing, I know).I load 1 instance of play, the plugin loads and opens just fine. I get the additional MIDI and audio tracks setup with appropriate routing (I think) but this is where the issues start happening. The only instrument that will produce sound is the instrument that is assigned to MIDI Channel One. All other subsequent channels don't produce sound or register a response in Play when I touch the keyboard.in addition, if I record disarm the main plug in track, all audio goes away.From the tutorials I've watched, it looks like I have everything set up properly. I'm kind of stumped at this point as I have checked all my routing within the DAW and the plugin to make sure that it is routed correctly. like I said, I'm kind of a newbie to Reaper and midi recording so if there is anybody that has used Play in Reaper and can offer some solutions it would be appreciated. Thanks.
breakinglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
DarkStar

Hello breakinglight and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
Try setting it up like this:
(a) right-click in the Track Control Panel (TCP) area below any existing tracks,
(b) select "Insert virtual instrument on new track",
(c) select the VSTi,
(d) click [Yes] on the "Build Routing confirmation" window; that will create tracks for all of the audio outputs from the VSTi,
(e) open the FX window for the VSTi track (click the [fx] button),
(f) select [Options] >> "Build 16 channel of MIDI routing to this track",
(g) disable RecArm on the VSTi track,
(h) if Input Monitoring is Off for the "MIDI" tracks, select them all and turn it on (and turn it on in Preferences >> Track / Send Defaults >> Record config, for future use).
Now you will have 16 tracks sending MIDI (on channels 01 ... 16 respectively) to the VSTi and several tracks for the audio outputs from the VSTi. If you do not need separate MIDI input tracks, omit steps (e) ... (h)

Within the VSTi, load your instruments and set the routing for each one - receiving MIDI on a particular MIDI channel AND sending its audio to a particular audio output pair; depending on the VSTi you may need to do some additional configuration work within the VSTi itself (e.g. to create / enable the output channels).

Back in Reaper, name your MIDI tracks for their destination instruments and add the MIDI. Name the audio tracks too. Colour the tracks as you wish. SAVE them all as a Track Template.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:00 AM   #3
Icchan

And what Darkstar said, only needs to be done ONCE... after you have everything set up, you can select all the tracks and "create track template" from that such that you only need to click "create track from template" select the template and all the routing etc is there already done and ready to use.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote