Old 03-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings

Default theme contest?

What if we had a theme contest? like so:

1. make a chipin.com account
2. take donations until we reach an amount that seems good for prizes.
3. take entries
4. have 2 months for theme creation
5. vote on winners
6. winner gets sweet mulah. maybe have some 2nd and 3rd place prizes too.

Alternatively, maybe a bunch of kind folks could donate some gear to the cause so the winners get gear packages.

I know there are many theme creators that already deserve some scratch for their hard work, but this would be just a separate 'event' and I urge people to also donate (where possible) to theme creators they already know and love.

rules: you have to start the theme when the contest starts. no 'in-progress' themes allowed.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
martinmadero

i think that´s a very good idea
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
kh1

I feel as though I must disagree. Bringing money into 'theme creation' just doesn't sit right with me. There are other ways to show appreciation and stimulate creativity in the community, and, imo, it would be more appropriate to seek them out than to invite competition when a wager is made. However, if there is a great many members who are willing to participate, then by all means, let them come forward.

K
kh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh1 View Post
I feel as though I must disagree. Bringing money into 'theme creation' just doesn't sit right with me. There are other ways to show appreciation and stimulate creativity in the community, and, imo, it would be more appropriate to seek them out than to invite competition when a wager is made. However, if there is a great many members who are willing to participate, then by all means, let them come forward.

K
I just think it could give things a little kick to have an annual competition. I am more than aware of the argument against. I think it would be cool to give it a whirl, if it damages the theme community we'll never speak of it again...
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Pixelshock

Quote:
Bringing money into 'theme creation' just doesn't sit right with me.
Time is money. And professionals deserve to get paid. You guys wanna open up an account somewhere for Nick/White Tie and several others on here, I'll drop $50 in there RIGHT NOW to get them to do nothing but create awesome UIs for us to use. I'd gladly pay for the top-quality stuff. They won't take it....but it's worth it IMHO. I wish there was a way to donate to their work. I got no problem with paying for art. And make no mistake about it - excellent UI is art.
Pixelshock is offline   Reply With Quote