Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #401
xpander
Human being with feelings

It locks stretch markers into their places. Setting this only selects it in the Lock settings, you also have to have the locking enabled for it to work (lock button, L).
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #402
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
It locks stretch markers into their places. Setting this only selects it in the Lock settings, you also have to have the locking enabled for it to work (lock button, L).
Yeah that would make sense
however it does not do that whatsoever
Stretch markers are locked as soon as you lock an item, no matter if you have changed stretch marker locking or not (Which you can't actually tell because there is no visual indicator)
So right now until somebody gives me a better answer i am assuming that stretch marker locking just doesn't work.

As you can quite clearly see in this animation, there is zero difference between locked/unlocked markers on a locked item
Old 08-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #403
xpander

Ok, I see what you mean. Item level locking indeed locks the item as a whole. However, the common project locking, enabled by the lock button (key L) from the main toolbar works like I described.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #404
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Yeah that would make sense
however it does not do that whatsoever
Stretch markers are locked as soon as you lock an item, no matter if you have changed stretch marker locking or not (Which you can't actually tell because there is no visual indicator)
So right now until somebody gives me a better answer i am assuming that stretch marker locking just doesn't work.

As you can quite clearly see in this animation, there is zero difference between locked/unlocked markers on a locked item
The stretch marker locking setting controls global locking settings, not item locking setting you show in that video.

It works correctly here. Stretch markers are grayed out when locked and you can still move for example items or item edges if you have not enabled those in global lockings.

Right click on the Locking button on main toolbar to see which global lockings are enabled.

EDIT:
xpander was faster.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #405
Win Conway

Thanks
Old 08-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #406
Sound asleep

What is "MIDI editor track list"? And how can I see it?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #407
EvilDragon

Check out the Contents menu.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #408
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Check out the Contents menu.
Thx, but I think I may be missing something here. Maybe it is how my menus are setup? Idk, But all I get there is what seems to be a list of all the midi items I have in my project. Which is cool, I guess, but I don't know my time placement well enough to differentiate my items that way. Maybe if i name them, the name would appear? Idk, but it seems to me, judging by the entries in this pre-release thread, that the midi editor track list, would be more than that, no?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #409
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Thx, but I think I may be missing something here.
Are you not seeing "Track List" at the top of Contents? That switches it on/off.

Other than that, at this point the menu selection, "Contents" is really pretty insignificant. And yes, you really want to not only name
your tracks, you also want to name your midi items.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #410
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Are you not seeing "Track List" at the top of Contents? That switches it on/off.

Other than that, at this point the menu selection, "Contents" is really pretty insignificant. And yes, you really want to not only name
your tracks, you also want to name your midi items.
There's your problem.

Where can I find that action in order to add it to my contents menu?

Ya, I actually usually do name my items already, it's just I had this temporary quick one I opened to test this out, without having to wait for plugins to load.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #411
Tod

Quote:
There's your problem.

Where can I find that action in order to add it to my contents menu?
It's in the Midi Action list. I tied it to a toolbar button in my main midi toolbar.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #412
Sound asleep

Quote:
It's in the Midi Action list. I tied it to a toolbar button in my main midi toolbar.
What is it called? I don't find "track list" in any of my actions anywhere at all.

Yes, to the toolbar, this is also what I will do.

Man, Thank god someone bumped this thread, I could have missed out on this awesomeness for a long time.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #413
Tod

Quote:
What is it called? I don't find "track list" in any of my actions anywhere at all.

Yes, to the toolbar, this is also what I will do.

Man, Thank god someone bumped this thread, I could have missed out on this awesomeness for a long time.
It's called "Contents: Show/hide track list". Are you sure you've got one of the latest Pre-Releases?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #414
Sound asleep

Quote:
It's called "Contents: Show/hide track list". Are you sure you've got one of the latest Pre-Releases?
I don't have latest pre-releases, but this is pre-release 4.33 thread, and I'm running 4.402, so I should have this no?

Or, has it been pushed back for a 4.5 release?

I'm thinking that's what happened, because I didn't find that action.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #415
Tod

Quote:
I don't have latest pre-releases, but this is pre-release 4.33 thread, and I'm running 4.402, so I should have this no?

Or, has it been pushed back for a 4.5 release?

I'm thinking that's what happened, because I didn't find that action.
Heh heh, the Reaper midi world has jumped leaps and bounds since 4.402. In fact it's a totally different world.

Just do a potable install of the latest pre-release and you'll see. A portable won't mess up you regular 4.402 but basically
have everything you need. If you've customized your 4.402 version then you'll need to do some copying of some of your
settings that you can't live without.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #416
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Heh heh, the Reaper midi world has jumped leaps and bounds since 4.402. In fact it's a totally different world.

Just do a potable install of the latest pre-release and you'll see. A portable won't mess up you regular 4.402 but basically
have everything you need. If you've customized your 4.402 version then you'll need to do some copying of some of your
seems sound asleep lives up to his name! (joke/bad joke)
Old 08-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #417
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
Could we have a preference for default stretch marker mode? I usually want them to be in tonal mode.
Me too!
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #418
Sound asleep

Quote:

However much I would like to take advantage of pre-release changes, I'm more of an official release type. I'm not generally very excited to find bugs, and stuff like that. Plus my reaper is quite customized, and I'm paranoid of losing things, and stuff like that.

The thing I like least about reaper is tinkering with it. The thing I like most about it is having tinkered with it. So, the least tinkering possible, the happier I am, unless it's something I really want, and then the tinkering gets justified. Usually, it's work spent now, to save time later.

I love for things to work quickly. I'm more of a musician than a producer, so right off the bat, a DAW feels sort of detached to me, I can't think and make music right away. So the faster and more simply I can get to making music the better it is for me.

I look forward to this update though, it's killing me to know all that stuff is there, and I can't use it yet. But when it's ready, it's on. Actually playing with it, and seeing the functions, would be brutal if I went to make music in my normal install, because I would just want those new features so badly.

I would however like to contribute in some way to the development, that would be cool. It's just usually once I'm in my DAW, I'm making music, and I don't want to be distracted from that in any way, which is a battle I already will lose from time to time, when I want to do a certain thing, and end up posting about it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
seems sound asleep lives up to his name! (joke/bad joke)
Damn you! *shaking fist