Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
Vevolis
Human being with feelings

Default Pops/Clicks/Latency with Plugins/Playback

Good evening all,

I'm having constant issues with pops/clicks and latency lately... it never used to be so bad so I suspect something has changed in my system.

I've had Komplete 9 Ultimate for a few years and use a Komplete Audio 6 interface & Komplete Kontrol S61 keyboard.

I just downloaded the trial for Serum and in running the performance meter, the entire CPU bumps up to perhaps 50% on 6 notes being played (two oscillator pad) with a 10 channel track playing and it becomes a garbled mess, I've played with every combination of sample rate/buffer size I can think of. I'm not too savvy in this department. Made sure project sample rate matches assigned, made sure to set thread priorities to time critical behavior one. I don't have hyper threading due to AMD but have muddled with the core settings back and forth to no avail. Is my machine just too slow or am I missing something?! I've done all of the optimizing settings for windows including power high priority, etc. closed every background process and ran in depth latency test. Lowest buffering settings seem to last okay for a few seconds, but eventually becomes garbled... i'd like a balance between playback and recording as it is how I work. I have issues with some plugins such as Kinetic Metal as well.

With 0 plugins aside from Serum and no other tracks, it performs the same.

Specs are: Windows 10 Home, AMD FX6300 Six Core 3500mhz 3 cores 6 logic processors, 16GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB.

Any ideas? I've swapped USB, i've updated BIOS... probably a gambit of other things... maybe it's just time for an update...
Vevolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
Vevolis
Human being with feelings

Discovery: Using the PD BenjPad [GS] in Serum has a polyphony of 16. If I play too quickly (before the envelope on the oscillator can reset and too many notes, the computer freaks out. If I set the polyphony to 8 and mash as many keys as possible, it is fine.

Clearly there is a CPU issue, but ultimately 8 voice polyphony is completely fine and doesn't set fire to my machine. Any additional advice would be appreciated though.
Vevolis is offline   Reply With Quote