Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-31-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
pjd3
Human being with feelings

Default Installing a Valhalla plugin - won't show in VST

Hi there,

So, all excited I bought Valhalla Shimmer and Ubermod last night. Having a dedicated offline DAW desktop I first downloaded the installers and licence keys to the USB drive on my laptop and then transferred the plugs and keys to the dedicated offline DAW desktop.

Everything appeared to go well during the install but the plugs did not show up in the VST list when I tried to call up Valhalla on a track. The path did end with "VST" and I expected it to show up in the VST FX list.

I was hoping someone using Valhalla plugins could comment on what the problem would be. I'm pretty new at this and the only other plug I have tried to install was "The Mangle". That went fine, and it showed up in the VSTi list with no issues.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to using these plugs!

Thank you,
Phil
pjd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjd3 View Post
The path did end with "VST" and I expected it to show up in the VST FX list"
The path name doesn't matter, as long as Reaper is being told to look there.

Check the paths in Preferences > Plug-ins > VST

Also check that it wasn't a 64 bit VST installed on a 32bit system
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
pjd3

Default VST not showing up.

Hi Fergler, thank you for getting back. This issue also was part of another thread that someone else started but'

Shimmer showed up in Reapers VST list but Ubermod still has not. I did check the paths over and over again.

It was suggested by a few to download the C++ visual security code from Microsoft. I did that but didn't seem to work either. So, still on the hunt for the "Ubermod please show up in VST list" mission.

When I clicked to download the update, my computer got highjacked by Microsoft and began to download "all" the updated for my Windows 7 but, I had kept the computer purposely as a dedicated "Reaper desktop" and was to be totally off-line. I couldn't interrupt the total update. There was no way to do anything except turn the computer off mid download. I was too scared to do that so, I don't know what I'm dealing with now! That's what I get for putting the computer on-line "Just for one code download".

Thanks for stopping by Fergler. I'm still open ears.

Phil
Old 10-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
grinder

updating your windows 7 may save you some grief further down the line!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:09 AM   #5
pjd3

Default I guess so

Yeah Grinder, thanks.

I think at this point its wise to put the computer back on line and just let it finish the updates. Then do whatever it is on top of that to get especially the Ubermod plugin to show itself. I had plans for that little FX !!

Thanks Grinder.

Phil
Old 10-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
bob

Try looking here.
C:>Programs (x86)>Steinberg>VSTPlugins
C:>Programs (x86)>Steinberg>vst
C:>VstPlugins
C:>Programms>VSTPlugins
Old 10-24-2018, 12:22 AM   #7
ivansc

Better yet, go into the main C:\ folder on your machine and see where the plug has actually been installed. In my case, Sean`s plugs all install to C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\ and only the actual .dll file is there.

All the Valhalla stuff is pretty lean and efficient, so once you have found the .dll for Ubermod (probably uber.dll) you can simply add that path to Reapers plugin search if it isnt there already, re-scan & it should appear OK.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #8
pjd3

Bob and ivansc, thanks.

I had been under the impression that as long as the path as seen in the installation path box was the same as one of the paths in the Reaper VST preference path field that it would be found, and I did spend ample time trying to corroberate that - (trying all the paths seen and available, making sure they match and are there precisely as stated).

I did try all the paths that Bob had recommended.

Next step I will start at "C:" and find where it shows the dll file to be for Ubermod.

I'm hoping you guys will be around over the next couple of days when I try to find it this way, as file navigation is not my forte.

Thanks again, I hope the next trial is one of success!

Phil
Old 10-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #9
bob

On Windows, you can choose whether to install 32-bit or 64-bit .dll files (or both) – pay attention to the VST installation directory as it may be different than the one your DAW is set to reference in its preferences. Our default install location is C:\VSTPlugins
Old 10-26-2018, 05:59 AM   #10
pjd3

Hi Bob,

I did take careful notice to both the paths in the field during the installation process, and that it was precisely the same as one of the paths found in the VST Reaper preferences field. I made sure every Uppercase, Lowercase, space, forward/backward slash was present exactly as typed or present. I even tryed a few different ones, making sure they match just to see if it would work.

The path you presented was one of the ones that I tried and I believe the initial one that appeared.

When you say "pay attention to the VST installation directory", are you referring to the path field that comes up during the Ubermod installation process? As far as I understand, the path as seen in that Ubermod installation field needs to match exactly to a path present in the Reaper VST preferences field. Am I thinking right about this? Or is there some other place that I'm missing? I was under the impressing that the paths in the Reaper VST preferences field denote folders that exist for the installed VST plugins to go and be found when called up in Reaper, and that as long as there is a match between the Ubermod installation path field and the Reaper VST preference field, then the plugin should be able to be found.

Am I thinking correctly on this?

Thank you Bob, I appreciate your efforts for me.

Phil
Old 10-26-2018, 06:07 AM   #11
pjd3

Also Bob, I do always pay attention to whether I'm dealing with a 64 bit or 32 bit plugin. I have only ever tried to install 4 plugins since I got Reaper.

1. Shimmer - installed successfully
2. Ubermod - failing to install or be found
3. The Mangle - successfully installed
4. A free delay (failed to install) from Focusrite for customers (I bought the 6i6 interface)

Pretty much on every single plugin I had an issue with Windows not recognizing the Manufacture and asking for security updates before Windows would allow the install.
I'm thinking maybe I will just bite the bullet and allow the internet (Microsoft) to fully update my Windows 7.
My computer was given to me by a Network engineer friend who put an older version of Windows 7 on it. I was going to keep the computer completely off-line as a dedicated Reaper DAW but some of the 4 VST's were looking for a current update of Windows 7.

Thanks Bob,

Phil
Old 10-27-2018, 04:07 AM   #12
ivansc

Sounds like your software engineer may have installed some other software that causes that query before allowing installation. THAT could be your problem right there.

Can you ask him what (if any) extra security software he installed for you?

I get this sort of thing every time my AVG updates itself and wants to vet any file I either download or install from the outslde world. Avast was doing the same thing when I took it for a test drive.