Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
Peevy
Human being with feelings

Default Back to Linux after 5 years on MacOS...& Loving it!

So after many years on Windows I stumbled upon Linux (Ubuntu) stuck with it for a few years & while I enjoyed the OS way more than windows it just wasn’t cutting it in the DAW department. So not wanting to go back to windows I got myself a Mac mini (one of the i7 quadcores from 2012) then a 5k iMac. Compared to windows, macos was a delight to use & mostly everything just worked without any fuss. In that time I also jumped ship from Reaper to Logic which I have to admit is my favourite DAW so far closely followed by Reaper which I always had a fresh install of over the years & kept a close eye on new features.

Once I saw there was a Linux version of Reaper now available & seemingly ready for full-on use I had to check it out with a fresh install of Ubuntu on my old Laptop & then Xfce4, I realised again why I loved Linux so much & why it is hands down my favourite OS (yes even over MacOS) .So far Mostly everything in Reaper works I even have some of my fabfilter, IKMM plugins & Kontakt working mostly glitch free, also on a fresh install of Manjaro on my old Q6600 PC. I think there’s still a lot of work to be done with Linux when it comes to music production but it has definitely come a long way in 5 years.

So I’ve decided to sell all my Apple gear, go exclusively Linux & build a new DAW PC. I have to admit though apart from falling in love with Linux allover again this decision is also due to just how much more expensive macs have gotten over the years. And how apple now try to get customers to buy new rather than repair or seriously overcharge for repairs, but hey that’s a story for another day. Plan B is dual booting Windows but I'm seriously hoping I won't have to do that.

So I’m back to the Reaper forum again & will hopefully be around for a long time to come, bugging your good selves with technical questions like I have done in the past & hopefully also able to help others too If I can.

Feels good to be back
Old 10-28-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
Glennbo

Cool musical journey. My music computers path was C-64/Amiga/Windows/Linux.

Is that a Peavey T-25 in your avatar? I once owned a Peavey T-60 that I got to hand select out of 15 in the backroom of a music store, but stoopidly traded it in on a Kramer whammy bar guitar in the 80s.

I'm still on the learning curve with Linux, but there are a few turbo geeks hanging around here if you get into OS related issues.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Is that a Peavey T-25 in your avatar? I once owned a Peavey T-60 that I got to hand select out of 15 in the backroom of a music store, but stoopidly traded it in on a Kramer whammy bar guitar in the 80s.
No It's actually an Ibanez AXS32 that I no longer use, I must get round to changing that avatar.

Just one of the great things about linux is just how customizable it is & the sheer amount of DE's is great so there's something there for everyone I've gone from Gnome to openbox & have now settled on XFCE4, I do like Gnome but it's a bit of a memory hog. I also briefly tried KDE again but just can't take to it at all & never could really.

There really is a great linux community out there & with just a bit of searching on the web I've usually been able to sort out any niggles. I always liked how speedy & lean linux is as an OS (even better now with SSD's) especially compared to windows & I'm enjoying getting back into the terminal/commandline. I have to admit I got a bit lazy when it came to the technical side of things when I was on a Mac.

I'm hoping now that we soon get some more plugin devs porting their plugins to linux just like U-he & Overtonedsp. While there are some pretty decent free linux vst's out there, there just aren't enough IMO. We're are bit more spoiled on linux when it come to DAW with Reaper, Bitwig, Traction/Waveform Ardour & a few others.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
No It's actually an Ibanez AXS32 that I no longer use, I must get round to changing that avatar.
I looked up the Ibanez and the pick guard looks almost identical to the T-25, and since you go by Peevy I figured it was a Peavey.

Quote:
Just one of the great things about linux is just how customizable it is & the sheer amount of DE's is great so there's something there for everyone I've gone from Gnome to openbox & have now settled on XFCE4, I do like Gnome but it's a bit of a memory hog. I also briefly tried KDE again but just can't take to it at all & never could really.
I tried a bunch of different distros before settling in on Xubuntu which uses XFCE4. The lightweight footprint and straight forward no frills approach was what I liked about it. Plus the fact that I was already using it on a MythTV server for a couple of years now, and was pretty familiar with it.

Quote:
There really is a great linux community out there & with just a bit of searching on the web I've usually been able to sort out any niggles. I always liked how speedy & lean linux is as an OS (even better now with SSD's) especially compared to windows & I'm enjoying getting back into the terminal/commandline. I have to admit I got a bit lazy when it came to the technical side of things when I was on a Mac.
I just recently switched to an SSD and set it up to dual boot Win7/Xubuntu thinking that I would need Windows for REAPER, and use Linux for everything else. Very shortly after, REAPER for Linux started showing up on the download page, and Windows 7 isn't being used at all now.

Quote:
I'm hoping now that we soon get some more plugin devs porting their plugins to linux just like U-he & Overtonedsp. While there are some pretty decent free linux vst's out there, there just aren't enough IMO. We're are bit more spoiled on linux when it come to DAW with Reaper, Bitwig, Traction/Waveform Ardour & a few others.
Thanks for reminding me about Overtonedsp. I had been meaning to try out the FC70 from them and just downloaded the demo version to play around with.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote