Old 09-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
MRMJP
Human being with feelings

Default Item Timecode Script

In mastering, we often need to see the relative time of an item on the timeline, and not the main timecode for the entire RPP project. Similar to how you'd want to see the "CD track" time and not the total CD time. You need a time reference that is relevant to the song, not the total project.

In WaveLab, there is a great feature that displays the relative time of the item in smaller font on the actual waveform so you can see it.

Let's say you have an item that starts at 3:25 in the project, but you need to know where the 2:07 point of that item is, the WaveLab feature makes this easy. You also have the main big counter display various timecode like CD track start, or item start etc.

I don't think any of this is possible now in REAPER but would anybody be willing to script something that does one of those things?

Either displays a timeline on the item that is relative to the item's time, or a way to toggle a pop up window that displays the item's timecode wherever the playback cursor is?

I am finding that one main slowdown in REAPER is finding random points in time on an item. Other than the first item in the project, everything else takes a lot of manual measuring with the time selection and transport window.

Last edited by MRMJP; 09-05-2017 at 02:35 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
heda

It is possible. Just to demostrate, this small lua script tells you the timecode at edit cursor for selected item

a better script can be done with GUI and more options. And a way to move edit cursor to a specific timecode too.

Code:
item = reaper.GetSelectedMediaItem(0,0)
if item then 
	item_timestart = reaper.GetMediaItemInfo_Value(item, "D_POSITION")
	if item_timestart then
		cursor_time = reaper.GetCursorPosition()
		item_time_at_cursor = cursor_time - item_timestart 
		item_timecode_at_cursor = reaper.format_timestr_pos(item_time_at_cursor, "", 5)
		reaper.MB(item_timecode_at_cursor, "Item's Timecode at edit cursor", 0)
	end
else
	reaper.MB("Select an item first", "oops", 0)
end
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
It is possible. Just to demostrate, this small lua script tells you the timecode at edit cursor for selected item

a better script can be done with GUI and more options. And a way to move edit cursor to a specific timecode too.

Code:
if item then 
	if item_timestart then
		cursor_time = reaper.GetCursorPosition()
		item_time_at_cursor = cursor_time - item_timestart 
		item_timecode_at_cursor = reaper.format_timestr_pos(item_time_at_cursor, "", 5)
		reaper.MB(item_timecode_at_cursor, "Item's Timecode at edit cursor", 0)
	end
else
	reaper.MB("Select an item first", "oops", 0)
end
Thanks! This is already of some use.

Is it possible to toggle the opening/closing of a new window that while the transport plays, the item timecode is rolling?

Sometimes I need to listen to a 10 second passage and then listen for a noise or thing at X:XX for a given song which doesn't start at 0:00 of my session of course, so that presents a challenge in a non-mastering DAW environment.

For things like this, a window that's visible that shows the real-time item time would really be nice to have.

Basically, just like the Big Clock but displaying the item time and not the project time.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
heda

Sure.. Everything is possible... mostly

try this new one. it displays timecode of the selected item while playing. (I'm realtime-scripting, but I have to go to sleep now) Still not with a cool nice window and text with decent font etc.. just displaying time code in realtime in the console. This is a quick test of the main function.. then if it works, a nice window can be added.

Code:
function loop()
	if item then 
		item_timelen = reaper.GetMediaItemInfo_Value(item, "D_LENGTH")
		item_timeend = item_timestart + item_timelen
		if item_timestart then
			play_time = reaper.GetPlayPosition()
			item_time_at_play = play_time - item_timestart 
			item_timecode_at_play = reaper.format_timestr_pos(item_time_at_play, "", 5)
			reaper.ClearConsole()
			if item_timecode_at_play and (play_time>item_timestart and play_time <item_timeend) then 
				reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(item_timecode_at_play) 
			end
		end
	else
		reaper.ClearConsole()
	end
	reaper.runloop(loop)
end
loop()
Old 09-05-2017, 06:28 PM   #5
MRMJP

Quote:
Sure.. Everything is possible... mostly

try this new one. it displays timecode of the selected item while playing. (I'm realtime-scripting, but I have to go to sleep now) Still not with a cool nice window and text with decent font etc.. just displaying time code in realtime in the console. This is a quick test of the main function.. then if it works, a nice window can be added.

Code:
function loop()
	if item then 
		item_timelen = reaper.GetMediaItemInfo_Value(item, "D_LENGTH")
		item_timeend = item_timestart + item_timelen
		if item_timestart then
			play_time = reaper.GetPlayPosition()
			item_time_at_play = play_time - item_timestart 
			item_timecode_at_play = reaper.format_timestr_pos(item_time_at_play, "", 5)
			reaper.ClearConsole()
			if item_timecode_at_play and (play_time>item_timestart and play_time <item_timeend) then 
				reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(item_timecode_at_play) 
			end
		end
	else
		reaper.ClearConsole()
	end
	reaper.runloop(loop)
end
loop()
Yes! It's great. I can't seem to get it to go away though now. Probably something on my end as I'm not familiar with ReaScript Console.

I ended up clearing the script text and restarting REAPER to get it to go away, but choosing Clear or Close wouldn't close the window. Here's a screen shot of what I was seeing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/677aunsp0w...%20PM.png?dl=0

If you're able to dress this up into a nice window that always appears in the same spot, where the view can be toggled on or off, that would be great.

I would of course be willing to make a donation for this much needed feature.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:42 AM   #6
X-Raym

There is only one line of code to replace in PL9 SOurce item position tool in reapack to make this work :

L41 replace

Code:
edit_cursor_pos = GetCursorPosition();
by

Code:
edit_cursor_pos = GetPlayState() == 1 ? GetPlayPosition() : GetCursorPosition();
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:43 AM   #7
heda

nice one X-Raym. Everything is invented hehe It's difficult to remember all scripts there are.. how do you do it?

Still. I think there is a need to move cursor to a specific time in a item.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:21 AM   #8
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Yes! It's great. I can't seem to get it to go away though now. Probably something on my end as I'm not familiar with ReaScript Console.

I ended up clearing the script text and restarting REAPER to get it to go away, but choosing Clear or Close wouldn't close the window. Here's a screen shot of what I was seeing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/677aunsp0w...%20PM.png?dl=0

If you're able to dress this up into a nice window that always appears in the same spot, where the view can be toggled on or off, that would be great.

I would of course be willing to make a donation for this much needed feature.

Thanks.
as with any script that works looping.. you have to start the script again and it asks you to terminate the instance if you want as shown in your image. Click terminate and then you can close the console. Because if you try to close the console and this script is running, it constantly opens the console.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:34 AM   #9
X-Raym

@heda
Quote:
Still. I think there is a need to move cursor to a specific time in a item.
With native action, you can set edit cursor to first selected item and Nudge Window, set to to Nudge - Edit Cursor.
(you can combine in a custom action).

Quote:
It's difficult to remember all scripts there are.. how do you do it?
"I can see things that happened in the past.
I can see things happening now all over the world."
Old 09-06-2017, 05:54 AM   #10
MRMJP

Thanks. guys. I'll check out the PL9 Source item position tool to see if that works. It might be enough.

I should have been clear that I don't need a way to move directly to an item time. I can usually guess and then use the timecode window to hone in on the spot.

The main thing will be how quickly and easily I can show/hide the window will little hassle or extra clicking to terminate it.

What ever happened to Planetnine? He was so helpful when I made the serious effort to move from Pro Tools to REAPER, and probably was the biggest factor in making it work.

I don't see him on the forum anymore.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #11
MRMJP

So the PL9 Source item position tool is pretty close to what I was looking for.

I don't really need any of the other info other than the time, and it would be nice to be able to toggle it on or off. Right now I can only seem to toggle it on. I also don't need a way to move to a certain place. I can get close and use the timecode to find what I need to find.

If it could be modified to just show the item source time, take name and nothing else, be toggled on/off, and have the size and screen position remembered, it would still be donation worthy.

For now, this is way better than nothing though.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #12
heda

I did this today...

I configured the action with a shortcut F4 for example.. and it toggles quickly the window on and off. window remembers position and docked position. Colors can be configured. Text size fits to the window height. If playing it displays playing cursor time. If stopped, it displays edit cursor time.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #13
MRMJP

Quote:
I did this today...

I configured the action with a shortcut F4 for example.. and it toggles quickly the window on and off.
It looks great, where can I find it?
Old 09-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
heda

It will be available in some minutes... still cleaning some things
Old 09-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #15
MRMJP

Quote:
It will be available in some minutes... still cleaning some things
Great, thanks. I'm happy to make a donation. I was a VIP member once but to be honest, none of those scripts are something I really need.

This will be needed for sure though.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #16
heda

Quote:
Great, thanks. I'm happy to make a donation. I was a VIP member once but to be honest, none of those scripts are something I really need.

This will be needed for sure though.
thank you. The script is up now in the HeDaScripts Manager. Try it and let me know if you need something else.

remember, to close it, just run the action again and press terminate and remember.

Last edited by heda; 09-06-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #17
MRMJP

Quote:
thank you. The script is up now in the HeDaScripts Manager. Try it and let me know if you need something else.

remember, to close it, just run the action again and press terminate and remember.
Thanks. I'll be able to try this soon.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #18
MRMJP

Quote:

There seems to be some resizing issues. It seems that it can randomly either adapt to the new window size, or sometimes numbers are cut off. Here is a video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tz31fqhgz...me_01.mov?dl=0

Also, I'm not clear on the closing of the timecode box. I was expecting to press the same key to close it. I'm not sure how to press "terminate and remember" or where that would be.

Can you explain a little more for relative newbie to scripts?

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #19
heda

That is how it works. Only the height of the window determines the font size. Then if it doesn't fit you can resize the window horizontally until it fits.
That screenshot you posted before os where REAPER prompts you to terminate the instance. This happens with any script that runs looping in the background. There is a checkbox to remember the answer so you don't have to click terminate each time you close the script.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #20
MRMJP

Quote:
That is how it works. Only the height of the window determines the font size. Then if it doesn't fit you can resize the window horizontally until it fits.
That screenshot you posted before os where REAPER prompts you to terminate the instance. This happens with any script that runs looping in the background. There is a checkbox to remember the answer so you don't have to click terminate each time you close the script.
I see. I'll work with the window size/shape but I'm still lost on closing the window with a command.

I can't find any way to close the script with a command, or bring that prompt back to change the answer.

Basically I'm kind of lost and stuck on this area.

Should it be possible to close the window with a key command, just as I can open it with one?
Old 09-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #21
MRMJP

Quote:
Also, I'm trying to make a donation but I can't get past the "pay now" page. I click "Pay Now", it spins, and then returns to that.

There doesn't seem to be a way to finish the order.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #22
heda

I don't know what happens with paypal.. recently it's behaving strange recently. sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't. Some users have contacted me that they couldn't finish the donation exactly as you describe.. but then the next day they could do it. And I haven't changed anything. Strange.. Maybe I need to investigate this further.

Which shortcut key have you assigned to the action to start the script? I can make the script to detect it and close the script. The problem may be that the script gets the focus and then the REAPER shortcuts don't work until you focus on the arrange again.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #23
MRMJP

Quote:
I don't know what happens with paypal.. recently it's behaving strange.. sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't. Some users have contacted me that they couldn't finish the donation exactly as you describe.. but then the next day they could do it. And I haven't changed anything. Strange.. Maybe I need to investigate this further.

Which shortcut key have you assigned to the action to start the script? I can make the script to detect it and close the script. The problem may be that the script gets the focus and then the REAPER shortcuts don't work until you focus on the arrange again.
Thanks. I made F8 the key to bring up the item timecode window.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #24
heda

Quote:
Thanks. I made F8 the key to bring up the item timecode window.
update to 1.0pre2
now you should be able to start the script with F8 and terminate the script with either F8 or Esc key.

Quote:
* v1.0pre2 (2017-09-06)
+ Esc key to close script while script window is focused
+ Added configurable key to close script with script window in focus. "closekeychar" = 26168.0 (F8 by default)

Last edited by heda; 09-06-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #25
MRMJP

Quote:
update to 1.0pre2
now you should be able to start the script with F8 and terminate the script with either F8 or Esc key.
Thanks! I think this is dialed in now.

BTW, I tried making a direct PayPal transfer to you and got some errors as well when transferring direct from my two linked bank accounts. When I tried from my debit card which is linked to one of those bank accounts, the payment went through.

Maybe it's a clue but I know you probably have no control over the PayPal operations.

I hope the donation was sufficient.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #26
heda

If someone else has prob lems with paypal I'll ask them if it was direct transfer or debit card. Maybe it's a clue to know what is the problem.
Thank you! You are very generous.
Let me know if you need something else with it.

Last edited by heda; 09-06-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:35 AM   #27
MRMJP

Quote:
Let me know if you need something else with it.
Would it be possible to also do one for "Region Time". A pop up window that displays the relative time of whatever region is being played if any?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:26 AM   #28
nofish

Nice one heda, comes in useful here too.
Thanks.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #29
X-Raym

@MRMJP
Check Region's Clock.lua in Reapack :P

Scripts: Regions and Markers (various) - Cockos Incorporated Forums
Old 09-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #30
heda

Quote:
* v1.0pre3 (2017-09-07)
+ Region Timecode script
new action for region timecode added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Nice one heda, comes in useful here too.
Thanks.
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@MRMJP
Check Region's Clock.lua in Reapack :P

Scripts: Regions and Markers (various) - Cockos Incorporated Forums
oops X-Raym... at this point I believe everything is in Reapack already... No more new scripts are possible. your Region clock is good! I didn't remember about it.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #31
X-Raym

@heda
Thanks

I hesitated to make the Item clock script from it (with item colcors, take name etc), but you were too fast haha :P

But maybe MRMJP doesn't need all features proposed by my clock, so he may prefer your version anyway !

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda
No more new scripts are possible.
You'd be surprised !

...still miss a good ReaScript pong game to use the Joystick API. :P
Old 09-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #32
nofish

An addition idea...

How about possibility to e.g. double-click on the script GUI to enter an item timecode position we can jump to ?

(Reason: In collabs etc. I sometimes get instructions like "turn down at 2:33", so this would be a quick way to jump to that specific relative position.)

Thanks for considering.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #33
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
...still miss a good ReaScript pong game to use the Joystick API. :P
indeed !!! and then ReaDoom or ReaQuake

Quote:
An addition idea...

How about possibility to e.g. double-click on the script GUI to enter an item timecode position we can jump to ?
Yes. I need to make a function to convert timecode to seconds. The last 00 would depend on project framerate, maybe with this.. I need to check
Code:
number retval, optional boolean dropFrame = reaper.TimeMap_curFrameRate(ReaProject proj)
Old 09-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #34
SonicAxiom

Quote:
I did this today...

I configured the action with a shortcut F4 for example.. and it toggles quickly the window on and off. window remembers position and docked position. Colors can be configured. Text size fits to the window height. If playing it displays playing cursor time. If stopped, it displays edit cursor time.
Could this script take into account the offsets of project starting time and project starting bar defined in the project properties?
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #35
heda

Quote:
ok I think it works now.. will be updated soon for region timecode too.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #36
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
Could this script take into account the offsets of project starting time and project starting bar defined in the project properties?
It doesn't depend on project start, just the item. Why would you want an offset ?
Old 09-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #37
heda

uploaded pre4
I haven't tested it a lot. I think it works but as always it could crash REAPER or delete all your hard disk. but probably not

Quote:
* v1.0pre4 (2017-09-07)
+ Click to prompt to move edit cursor to specific timecode
Old 09-07-2017, 11:40 AM   #38
nofish

Thank you.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #39
MRMJP

Thanks @heda. I'm away from the studio all day today but I'll check this soon.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #40
MRMJP

Region timecode seems good overall but I'm not able to use the same key command to toggle it closed.

Is there something on your end that can make it like the item timecode where one key toggles it on or off?