Old 02-12-2019, 10:45 PM   #1
shrineoftheserpent
Human being with feelings

Default Latency sample in the negative?

Im trying to figure out the latency of my interface using a loop and ping in realinsert and im getting -46. That cant be right correct?
Can anyone shed some light on this? I cannot find a single instance of this online.

Last edited by shrineoftheserpent; 02-12-2019 at 10:51 PM.
shrineoftheserpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
shrineoftheserpent

no one huh?
Old 02-14-2019, 01:06 AM   #3
Stella645

Interface resorts latency to reaper. If reported incorrectly it could be less or more.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:13 AM   #4
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineoftheserpent View Post
Im trying to figure out the latency of my interface using a loop and ping in realinsert and im getting -46. That cant be right correct?
Can anyone shed some light on this? I cannot find a single instance of this online.
I tried the same the other day and also got a negative value.

But when I put some hardware in the loop then it reported a positive value.

I can't really help, and I am just confirming that you are not the only one experiencing this.

cheers

andy
Old 02-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
shrineoftheserpent

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post

I can't really help, and I am just confirming that you are not the only one experiencing this.

cheers

andy
Hmmm. ok./.
I guess Ill roll with it... I wonder if the interface does that as part of the design to compensate for the latency.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #6
JamesPeters

Quote:

cheers

andy
Negative value being reported by ReaInsert during ping test, with nothing in the hardware loop = your sound device misreporting its latency to Reaper, which needs to be compensated for (positive or negative, it can be misreported either way). Change your audio device settings in preferences (under audio->recording, at the bottom: look for "manual offset"). After doing this, confirm by doing another ping test in ReaInsert (with nothing in the hardware loop). When ReaInsert shows the value as 0, your audio device's latency is now compensated for. (If you change your sample rate you'll have to test this again and adjust your audio device manual offset again.)

Positive value being reported by ReaInsert during ping test, when a processor is inserted in your audio hardware loop = latency introduced by the processor (very common especially for digital devices). Use the ping detect in ReaInsert and as long as your audio device is not adding any unreported latency, ReaInsert will compensate for the latency of the processor you've put in the hardware loop. This of course will add latency to the entire project to compensate, but if you're going to use external processors that's normal.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Negative value being reported by ReaInsert during ping test, with nothing in the hardware loop = your sound device misreporting its latency to Reaper, which needs to be compensated for (positive or negative, it can be misreported either way). Change your audio device settings in preferences (under audio->recording, at the bottom: look for "manual offset"). After doing this, confirm by doing another ping test in ReaInsert (with nothing in the hardware loop). When ReaInsert shows the value as 0, your audio device's latency is now compensated for. (If you change your sample rate you'll have to test this again and adjust your audio device manual offset again.)

Positive value being reported by ReaInsert during ping test, when a processor is inserted in your audio hardware loop = latency introduced by the processor (very common especially for digital devices). Use the ping detect in ReaInsert and as long as your audio device is not adding any unreported latency, ReaInsert will compensate for the latency of the processor you've put in the hardware loop. This of course will add latency to the entire project to compensate, but if you're going to use external processors that's normal.
Thanks

I will look into that. In the meantime everything appears to be okay.

cheers

andy
Old 02-15-2019, 01:13 AM   #8
shrineoftheserpent

Quote:
Thanks

I will look into that. In the meantime everything appears to be okay.

cheers

andy
I entered the -41 in the manual offset and pinged again., I got ZERO. So I guess Im good for now.
Like stated before. Im having better luck using the hardware ins and outs on the track ( as opposed to realinsert) with the latency compensated for in the manual offset settings. As for now its working., This is a learning process.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:17 AM   #9
rothchild

I've seen negative values in Reinsert, normally on the box that's plugged in over SPDIF.
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #10
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothchild View Post
I've seen negative values in Reinsert, normally on the box that's plugged in over SPDIF.
I'm guessing you would see the same negative number with just a cable looping the output back to the input, with no hardware device inserted. This is about your audio device's latency being misreported to Reaper. You can correct this in the preferences as I mentioned in my last post.

If for some reason adding any kind of device between your audio device's output and input manages to report a negative latency, you have just discovered a time travel device.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #11
shrineoftheserpent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I'm guessing you would see the same negative number with just a cable looping the output back to the input, with no hardware device inserted. This is about your audio device's latency being misreported to Reaper. You can correct this in the preferences as I mentioned in my last post.

If for some reason adding any kind of device between your audio device's output and input manages to report a negative latency, you have just discovered a time travel device.
Haha. Yeah I guess so huh?