Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 02-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #161
tonybeepbeep
Human being with feelings

Am I a masochist if I spend the next hour EQing a metal snare drum with this?

So intuitive once you get used to the input and workflow
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #162
tonybeepbeep

OMG I'm having fun here. Even enjoying high passing some guitar tracks and the resultant sound is massive!
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:22 AM   #163
nitsuj

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
  • not to stop the spectrum analyzer when opening any menu/option inside the plugin?
  • to have smoother lines? Both in the eq and in the spectrum analyzer. The line display is nice though! It would be lovely to have that kind of smoothness everywhere.
  • to add another option to the spectrum analyzer to have both fill and line (settings > display)?
  • reset the dry/wet control at the bottom by double-clicking?
  • add a few extra options for the limit button?
  • add an option to use a keystroke to be able to not move the mouse cursor while addingg or reducing the gain of a single band?
Running the analyzer concurrently when the menu displays is something I don't have control over in JSFX. Hands are tied on that one.

Smoother lines would be great. I develop on Mac so on that platform it uses retina and it looks really smooth. Admittedly less so on non-retina. I have tried to hack some kind of poor mans anti-aliasing but it doesn't alway work well. What's really needed is for Cockos to implement anti-aliasing for their line drawing (and other primitive) functions in JSFX. I'll think about the fill and line option.

At one point I thought I had implemented double clicking to reset the bottom parameters. I'll see about sorting that out.

What options are you thinking about for the limiting? The main purpose is to brick wall limit so that you don't get excessive volume. It's not intended to be a limiter for using in a musical capacity.

In my build I've already added frequency and gain lock for moving a filter node, so that'll be released soon. Your suggestion would take a little more work as there's currently no concept of a selected filter node except when the mouse is over it. The moment the key press altered the gain, the mouse cursor would no longer be over the filter node and so it wouldn't be selected any more. I'll give it some thought though.

Other than that, I'm adding extra filter types, improving solo/listen mode and improving node dragging amongst other smaller fixes and improvements.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:39 AM   #164
DaveKeehl

Ok great stuff, as always!

For the limiter I guess you’re right. Maybe showing better when the limiter is turned on/off? Right now the box background color changes, so you have to know what each color means, which is a bit unintuitive.

One last thing I just realized would be awesome would be the ability to select bands by dragging the mouse. As it happens with Nova by TDR.

I can’t wait to try the first complete version of your plugin dude!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #165
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
Smoother lines would be great. I develop on Mac so on that platform it uses retina and it looks really smooth. Admittedly less so on non-retina. I have tried to hack some kind of poor mans anti-aliasing but it doesn't alway work well. What's really needed is for Cockos to implement anti-aliasing for their line drawing (and other primitive) functions in JSFX.
...I assume you know that line and lineto and other primitive functions (circle, roundrect, arc, etc) do have optional anti-aliasing in JSFX on windows/linux? Curious what you meant here?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:57 AM   #166
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
...I assume you know that line and lineto and other primitive functions (circle, roundrect, arc, etc) do have optional anti-aliasing in JSFX on windows/linux? Curious what you meant here?
Sure, I wasn't clear enough.

In ReEQ the only normal width lines are the Bode grid lines. All the other lines need to be wider in order to look ok. So...the real problem isn't AA on its own per-se, it's that there's no inbuilt function to draw thicker lines and make them look ok. If you have AA off, they look too pixelated and if you have AA on, thicker lines look blurred because you have to draw multiple lines yourself and the AA overlaps.

The AA I was talking about trying to hack was drawing a line then drawing darker lines (using alpha) either side of it to make it thicker but smoother. Of course, you have to account for lines that are biased more towards vertical or horizontal and the whole idea starts to feel like a bodge (which it is!).

So, I guess my request for JSFX would be the ability to specify line thickness (for lines, rectangles, circles etc) with AA that handles correctly. Extra nice if thicker lines (optionally) terminated in half circles to round them off.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:45 AM   #167
sai'ke

Quote:
So, I guess my request for JSFX would be the ability to specify line thickness (for lines, rectangles, circles etc) with AA that handles correctly. Extra nice if thicker lines (optionally) terminated in half circles to round them off.
Yeah, this would be a really nice feature. I've noticed the same. It's very hard to get nice anti-aliased lineshapes with stuff that needs to be wider than 1px. Usually I draw the 'core' at full alpha and no antialias, then draw the corners again with antialias. I have noticed though that it is really important to round the line coordinates down or up to full pixels when doing this, otherwise you get a mess.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #168
clepsydrae

+1 for more graphics functions

And I have also noticed the sensitivity to integer-vs-not parameters to graphics functions.

Also recently found a very tiny bug in JSFX line drawing.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #169
morfi

Quote:
It only adds latency in oversample x2 mode. ...It's the way Reaper's ReaEQ works and also the way that Ableton's EQ8 works.
Sorry for the rather off topic question but are you sure that ReaEQ employs oversampling of any kind?

I was pretty sure it did not and hence its lack of latency.

Awesome EQ. Thank you so much for providing this for free!
morfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #170
morfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
This eq seems to preserve transients very well (no smearing that I could detect/less smearing than other eqs I have). In this regard it out performed both reaeq and TDR Nova on ryhthmic material I tried it on. In one particular comparison it was the only eq that didn't destroy the 'feel' of a drum groove I was working with. Is there something different from usual going on with phase?
I'm surprised you'd find it replaced NOVA as that's a parallel EQ in the first place. I'll have to try that myself!
Old 02-24-2019, 04:11 AM   #171
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I've been following this with much interest and have been meaning to download this and give it a run. My studio is undergoing some renovations at the moment though so I haven't had a chance to run this yet.

Is the zip file in the first post the latest version?
Old 02-24-2019, 05:55 AM   #172
europa_man

Default Talent

Quote:
ReEQ and ReSpectrum:

Thought I'd share this with you. It's a couple of pet projects I've been working on for fun recently.

My question was: is it possible to create a FabFilter or EQ8 style high quality filter in JSFX?

ReEQ

This is an eight band filter. It defaults to oversample x2 so that the filter shapes are preserved near Nyquist but no oversampling is also an option. When oversampling, there is a 16 sample delay introduced and it uses a steep FIR filter at high frequencies to remove aliasing. It's highly transparent in either case.

The filter code itself is based on Andy Simper's (Cytomic) SVF filter algorithms. They are far higher quality than the usual RBJ cookbook filters. These are the same zero delay filters used in Ableton's EQ8 which is well regarded for its high quality.

In addition, I've provided 6db slope filters and increments of 6db thereof (a combination of one and two pole filters) with cutoff slopes for high and low of up to 96dB. I've also provided Butterworth filters for steeper (but more resonant) slopes.

Full mid/size or left/right stereo filter bands are implemented.

Feature wise I see it as an improvement over ReaEQ (more filter types and slopes, mid/side or left/right processing).

Features

- The spectrum display type has a gradual decay effect (as used by many other commercial EQs). I find this much more useful for musical applications.

- The 'Settings' menu at the top allows various spectrum display settings to be adjusted. That's which spectrum to show (mid/side/left/right etc), whether to fill the spectrum or use lines, the ceiling and floor range, the tilt of the spectrum (it tilts around 1k freq), window type, window size and whether to show the spectrum as it was before the EQ affected it.

- The buttons at the bottom are: Oversample mode, mid/side or left/right mode, the scale of the filter bands, total gain, mid/left gain, side/right gain. The numeric values are altered by clicking on the button and dragging the mouse up or down.

- Double clicking in space creates a filter band node. Depending where the mouse x is on the spectrum you'll either create a high pass, low shelf, peak, high shelf or low pass filter.

- Click on the filter band node and move mouse to alter it's frequency and dB.

- Alt Double click deletes a node.

- Double clicking on a filter band node will toggle enable/disable.

- Hovering over a node and using the mouse wheel will adjust the filters Q value.

- Command (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) and mouse wheel hovering over a slope filter will adjust the slope dB.

- Right click over a filter band node will bring up a menu. Options are: Disable/Enable, Select shape of filter, dB of slope (only for high/low pass filters), Stereo placement (mid/side, left/right), Split node which will split the node into mid/side or left/right and delete.

- When a filter node is in mid/side or left/right mode, some triangles are displayed around the node to give an indication of such.

- Clicking on the top-right yellow EQ db number will show a menu allowing to select the EQ range from 6dB - 36dB.

- The info box at the bottom left will show useful information such as the frequency of the mouse position or node (if hovering over one), the music note and cents, dB of mouse or filter, filter Q and filter slopes.

- The drawn view scales to fit the full window and when the mouse isn't hovering over the window the programs turns off distracting menus and node handles.

- Holding the left shift key down puts the EQ into listen mode. You'll see two boundary bars representing the bandwidth being listened to. Use the mouse wheel to shrink/grow the area. It uses a band pass to isolate frequencies. (Thanks to Reaperto for reminding me!)

ReSpectrum

- The same 'Settings' options as ReEQ.

- 'keys' button toggles a piano roll. Hover over the piano keys to see a vertical beam to pinpoint spectrum frequencies.

- 'peaks' button toggles the spectrum display of maximum peaks.

Caveats

- I've only tried it on OSX as I develop on Mac.

- It should support both retina and non-retina displays.

- Only the first five filter bands are exposed as sliders for automation.

- You'll need a reasonable machine performance wise. Closing the window when not in use helps.

- I've used showmenu() for the menus. Technically it's not documented for JSFX so I don't know how well it works on other platforms.

- Oh, I should say I borrowed Theo Niessink's RBJ filter code but only for the display magnitude calculations, not for sound processing.

I've attached a zip file which can be unzipped to your Reaper effects directory. I'd consider using ReaPack if there was a call for it.

Updates
* Implemented floating info panel modified from tvm79's mods. Engaging listen mode will give you a floating info panel without having to select a band node
* Band nodes have improved selected and dragging visual.
* Mid/Side, Left/Right now have polarity toggles
* There's a toggle for a crude hard brick limiter. It's here as a safety net.
* Added 'None' option for spectrum display.
* Filters in SVF now cascade using nested conditions (optimization)
* Double click on bottom numeric buttons reset values to default
* Double click at bottom margin no longer creates filter bands
* Minor font fixes - still some to do.
* Fixed oversampling issue. Oversampling correctly ignored for sample rates > 48kHz.
THE TALENT ON THIS REAPER FORUM IS MIND BLOWING!

WHAT A GENEROUS GROUP !
Old 02-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #173
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa_man View Post
THE TALENT ON THIS REAPER FORUM IS MIND BLOWING!

WHAT A GENEROUS GROUP !
You got that right!
Old 02-25-2019, 06:31 AM   #174
Bouroki

Would it be possible to report zero latency when OS is switched off?
Bouroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #175
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfi View Post
Sorry for the rather off topic question but are you sure that ReaEQ employs oversampling of any kind?

I was pretty sure it did not and hence its lack of latency.

Awesome EQ. Thank you so much for providing this for free!
I was referring to the cramping near Nyquist. In that both ReaEQ and Ableton EQ8 exhibit that by default (although EQ8 has a HQ oversampling mode - that introduces latency). Apologies if I wasn't clear enough.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #176
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Is the zip file in the first post the latest version?
Yes. I'll be keeping that as the latest until I'm happy with putting it into ReaPack.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #177
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
Would it be possible to report zero latency when OS is switched off?
There's a bug in Reaper's JSFX handling which doesn't update the PDC value. I think it's documented somewhere in this thread.

To get around it toggle ReEQ to 'offline' and then back 'online' again after you've set oversampling to x1. That sorts it out.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #178
morfi

Clear enough now! Thank you!

To everybody working with tracks recorded at 88 kHz or higher SR: you don't need to turn oversample on!
Old 02-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #179
nitsuj

There's a new update of ReEQ available.

Zip file and instructions + changes on first page as usual.

The biggest addition is a proper listen/solo mode engaged by holding SHIFT. When a filter node isn't selected you can listen to a range of the spectrum and hold click and move vertically to audition that range at different volumes.

When a filter node is selected and shift is held then you get to solo the relevant audio for that node. For example, a peak filter solo'd gives you the spectrum range of the filter + the peak filters affect on the audio within that range. Soloing a low cut or high cut filter will let you listen to what you're cutting out as that is of most interest.

There's also two new filter types. There's a tilt filter with an adjustable slope via the Q setting and there's a Pultec style low shelf. The latter filters are characterised by having an adjustable dip just below the shelf - a handy technique for eqing bass. This dip can be accentuated by altering the filters Q and naturally becomes deeper as the shelf is boosted. Is not supposed to be any kind of accurate curve replica but it's a handy shortcut for this technique.

As requested there's a frequency and gain lock. Check the instructions for details.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #180
morfi

Wow! Amazing! It keeps getting better and better! Thank you!

nitsuj, just out of curiosity: why won't you compile a VST version rather than staying at JSFX?
Old 02-26-2019, 05:04 AM   #181
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfi View Post
nitsuj, just out of curiosity: why won't you compile a VST version rather than staying at JSFX?
Who knows, I might do at some point.

In the meantime I think it's a useful showcase of what JSFX is capable of (along with the other brilliant JSFX that people create) and what it could be capable of if COCKOS continues to develop it. There's so much potential.

A great benefit of JSFX is that you can edit the source code right inside Reaper if you like to make tweaks and adjustments or even create a new version of it - if you're inclined towards programming that is.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #182
morfi

Come a new day and I'm having second thoughts about it... it's probably a better idea to stay in JSFX for many reasons: pushing the programming-language forward, as you say, giving it some value rather than moving onto VST like everybody else, and even keeping something REAPER-exclusive! It's your own decision of course. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2019, 11:20 PM   #183
bmanic

This is absolutely amazing work! Well done.

There's some weird bug though that seems to change the frequency response on playback.. even when I have no EQ nodes in the plugin at all. It's like some weird filtering is happening and after a while it gets worse. Not sure what is going on. Was running the project at 48kHz and all default settings on the plugin.

Will try to investigate tomorrow.
bmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:19 AM   #184
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
This is absolutely amazing work! Well done.

There's some weird bug though that seems to change the frequency response on playback.. even when I have no EQ nodes in the plugin at all. It's like some weird filtering is happening and after a while it gets worse. Not sure what is going on. Was running the project at 48kHz and all default settings on the plugin.

Will try to investigate tomorrow.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:24 AM   #185
AndreiT

Thanks for the updates! Love this EQ!
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:44 AM   #186
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Just tried it. I created two tracks with audio, one containing ReEQ. The other with no plugins but reversed polarity. So essentially a null test.

At 44.1kHz they null perfectly but at 48kHz there's some low frequencies.

I'll get onto a fix straight away. Thanks for spotting.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #187
mamazai

Thanks cool EQ.

The image of the saw is fixed with Reaeq. But I don't know about it it's Reeq update or Reaper update, but everything is O.K.

A small suggestion; the eq point should be bigger if possible, so that we can keep it easily.
mamazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #188
shosty

Fantastic, thanks. Working on linux for me.
It reminds me of overtonedsp's AF210/M which is my go-to.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #189
nitsuj

Essential bug fix update for anyone that downloaded the Feb 26th features update.

I'd (accidentally) left a line of code always enabling filter band 0 for testing purposes. It was causing all sorts of puzzling side effects. Fixed now.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #190
prom

Great EQ plugin.

Thanks
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:17 AM   #191
Vagelis

Amazing sound and i love the solo addition
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:55 AM   #192
AndreiT

Tested yesterday ReEQ and it did sounded different without adding any filter nodes. Thanks for the update. Now it's ok.

Some feature request if I may :

1. Could ReSpectrum get multiple inputs so that we can visualize different sources in the same window?
2. Can you add to the ReEQ & ReSpectrum, "average time" like in SPAN?

Best,
Andrei

Last edited by AndreiT; 03-01-2019 at 04:03 AM.
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:34 AM   #193
todd_r

Wow, this is amazing thanks nitsuj! I saw elswhere that you were workign on some other scripts you may be thinking about realeasing, wondered if there was any news there?
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:26 AM   #194
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Wow, this is amazing thanks nitsuj! I saw elswhere that you were workign on some other scripts you may be thinking about realeasing, wondered if there was any news there?
No fixed plans although I've been toying with the idea of creating a compressor. It's a ways off though because that's definitely pushing the boundaries of my comfort zone and not something I'd want to get wrong.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:15 AM   #195
multibody

Thanks a lot for this great eq nitsuj. Is it available on reapack? Didnīt find it.
multibody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:55 AM   #196
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by multibody View Post
Thanks a lot for this great eq nitsuj. Is it available on reapack? Didnīt find it.
Not yet but it will be.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #197
todd_r

Quote:
No fixed plans although I've been toying with the idea of creating a compressor. It's a ways off though because that's definitely pushing the boundaries of my comfort zone and not something I'd want to get wrong.
I'll keep a eye out
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:40 PM   #198
CQrity

Will jump on this as soon as it's available in ReaPack. Thanks so much for your hard work!
CQrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #199
kodebode2

nitsuj,

Ran into this today, and all I can say is this is very good. Sure the CPU does add up, on a 4 year old i5 laptop, but only when one uses more bands on the EQ, and this CPU utilisation further to the base util, is proportional to the number of active bands.. But that's also a JSFX issue.....

What I love the most is the sound - even on a full mix it is IMHO a mastering grade eq. Good enough for very gentle and artefact free touch up...

Also easy to use once one gets the hang of it...

It was a pleasure to use it... the ReEQ, and the spectrum analyzer is also interesting.

Now this is why Reaper rules, a great DAW, and a superb ecosystem/community/collaboration opportunity.
kodebode2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #200
nitsuj

New version of ReEQ available from the first page.

New feature: Automatic Gain Control (AGC).

Toggled by clicking the 'AGC' button on the bottom button row. When toggled on, ReEQ will attempt to match the output gain with the input level. A small button with 'S' (for Set) appears next to the AGC button when toggled on. Pressing this 'S' button will set ReEQ's master volume to the matching value and disable AGC once more. To cancel AGC mode simply click the AGC button again.

This is a tool to help avoid the 'lounder = better' effect. Using AGC the volume of the output audio after EQing should be close to the loudness of the audio before EQing. Of course, after hitting the 'S' AGC button to set the ReEQ master volume, you're quite free to manually adjust.

Big props to Sai'ke as I used the same method for AGC that he uses in Filther (which is just....awesome!)